Southern Maunsell Coaching Stock discussion

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2023 at 13:18, Tobbes said:

A quick question if I may - have Hornby produced a Dia 2110 BSK?

... all I can see is that the door between the corridor and the brake compartment swings in Dia 2102 and is replaced by a sliding door in Dia 2110, but the the compartments and exterior appear identical.

Yes, R4339C, R4346A/B, R4736/7/8/8A, R4796/6A and the BTK(6)s in the 1938 train/coach packs, at least, were Díagram 2110 vehicles.  You are correct, externally and internally they are the same as Diagram 2102 except for the internal door between the corridor and brake compartment. 

You may renumber to your heart's content! 

Edited by SR Chris
Write 100 times "A full stop is followed by a capital letter"!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/06/2023 at 13:18, Tobbes said:

... I presume a Dia 2110 is simply a renumbering of a DIa 2102? ...

According to Mike King, the sliding door is the only 'trifling' difference ............ of course these are twin lavvy vent coaches so make sure you choose appropriate Dia 2102s to renumber. Looks like Dia 2110s ran in pairs for as long as Maunsell coaches ran in fixed sets : initially either end of three-set 203, four-sets241-7 and five-sets 327-30 though the number of intermediate vehicles could vary over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Binky said:

Would the Southern built CCTs have been used with Maunsell coaching stock? And if so were they usually added to the front or rear end of a formation?

Thanks

Southern Covcars ran with absolutely everything in vacuum-brake days until four-wheelers were - eventually - banned in passenger-carrying trains*. According to the 1960 General Appendage there were restriction on where vehicles with a wheelbase less than 15' could be marshalled in a train, but these do not, of course, apply to any of the Southern-built Passenger Vans.

* That was many years before someone thought of Pacers !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/06/2023 at 23:00, Wickham Green too said:

According to Mike King, the sliding door is the only 'trifling' difference ............ of course these are twin lavvy vent coaches so make sure you choose appropriate Dia 2102s to renumber. Looks like Dia 2110s ran in pairs for as long as Maunsell coaches ran in fixed sets : initially either end of three-set 203, four-sets241-7 and five-sets 327-30 though the number of intermediate vehicles could vary over the years.

Excellent, very many thanks. I'll go look at which Dia 2102s were the twin lavvy vents variants.

The two Dia 2110s were 3780 and 3788 which according to Blood and Custard were in 2P sets 25 and 30 in 1960. I believe at a time when most of the other 2P sets were Dia 2113s, though set 27 also had a Dia 2110.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Tobbes said:

Excellent, very many thanks. I'll go look at which Dia 2102s were the twin lavvy vents variants.

The two Dia 2110s were 3780 and 3788 which according to Blood and Custard were in 2P sets 25 and 30 in 1960. I believe at a time when most of the other 2P sets were Dia 2113s, though set 27 also had a Dia 2110.

According to my editions of both Gould and Longworth, 3788 didn't go into Set 30 (with BSK 6668) until 02.1962, the set being subsequently withdrawn at the end of the year.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

According to my editions of both Gould and Longworth, 3788 didn't go into Set 30 (with BSK 6668) until 02.1962, the set being subsequently withdrawn at the end of the year.

John 

Very many thanks John -- my mistake. Still very much feeling my way into the subject!

Edited by Tobbes