OO gauge Holden F5 2-4-2T loco proposal

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

This printed in the latest Model Rail magazine, currently in stockists.....

'Do you want to see a Ready-To-Run OO gauge Holden 'F5' 2-4-2T?

Well the Holden F5 trust is offering you the chance to make it happen.

The trust is building a replica of 'F5' No.67218 at Tyseley Locomotive Works and funds generated from the sale of a model will go towards construction of the real thing.

The Model would be produced by DJModels from works drawings and images already in the trusts possession.

However, before it embarks on the project, the trust is seeking expressions of interest via an online survey ( www.surveymonkey.com/s/YRKGHS3 ). "It is likely", said F5 Model Project spokesman Owen Hatward, "That the model; would be 'crowd-sourced' along the lines of the successful DJModels Class 71".

For further details, see f5modelproject.blogspot.com  or e-mail: F5project@gmail.com '

As an aside, and having seen the plans and drawings for this proposed model, this could be a wonderfully evocative model for OO gauge and i would recommend anyone interested 'express their interest' at the soonest opportunity.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 14

We will have to rename you The Bullet Biter.

That is an amazingly positive reaction to a topic on here.

Thank you Dave.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Your too kind but i'm afraid i cannot take credit for this.

The very pro-active Holden F5 trust are the people you need to thank.

However, it's worth noting that this is a crowd source possibility, and, if not supported, may be still born.

Having said that, what a great way to help build the real thing, and all power to their elbow.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Sorry I should have clarified.

I've put a new thread here as it will if it comes off, be me that manufactures and designs it etc, so it seems like an apt place for it.

If the mods want to merge the 2 or disagree, please feel free to delete mine.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Bernard,

And you are too modest.

You could easily have told them to go forth etc. claiming you were too busy.

Many people with far less on their plate than you would have taken that attitude.

Bernard

I think this is an wonderful and imaginative way to support a new build project that is already well established. At the same time acquire, what I am sure will be a superb model of a delightful and sort after prototype. I will certainly be expressing interests and hope others will rush to give their support. Please do.

Sorry about my over-enthusiasm Dave, but it leapt off the page at me as soon as I opened MR this morning and I posted it on both your thread and the Model Rail one as well!

I do hope there is a good response.  Beautiful little loco, especially in GER colours, and I'll want three to run on my soon to be refurbished East London 'Aldersbrook' layout.

Now you are talking Mr Jones, good old fashion research into a prototype not done before.  Best of luck and good luck to the restoration team.

To all you snipers I know nothing about Holdens designs for the GER, always thought Holden was a Aussie car manufacturer!!!!!!!!! (joke)

Loconuts

always thought Holden was a Aussie car manufacturer!!!!!!!!! (joke)

Not for very much longer! (ends in 2017)

As for the loco model itself, I'll have to find an excuse to get a GER version. I have a soft spot for almost anything pre-grouping even though I'm mainly into GWR.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I'm not aware of any other topics about this, so I'm glad Dave posted it here. I'd want at least two.

[RMweb has so many sections it's easy to miss this kind of thing, I can't be everywhere!]

Edited by Nile
  • Like 1

hi.  where do I sign up for one.or two.(GER)and one (BR).

Click Here- this will lead you into the survey :)

It's not of any interest to me- but I'm very happy that the hobby is moving in a direction where people are actually proactively trying to fill some of the gaps in the model market, instead of sitting whinging about why no-one is releasing "their" model- and that there's a supplier prepared to support them. Keep it up folks- and good luck ;)

Edited by brianthesnail96

• RMweb Premium

'Backtrack' for January 2015 came out a couple of days ago. In it was some coloured pics of the Liverpool Street pilots including the J69 68619 that was finished in GER blue. Any possibility of a J69 if the F5 is successful?

• RMweb Gold

'Backtrack' for January 2015 came out a couple of days ago. In it was some coloured pics of the Liverpool Street pilots including the J69 68619 that was finished in GER blue. Any possibility of a J69 if the F5 is successful?

Even though I am a dyed in the wool ex-LMS man, I often saw 68619 when travelling from Liverpool Street, it really stood out in those dark caverns.......so definitely one for me.

Rgds..Mike

• Like 1

Hi Bernard,

However, it's worth noting that this is a crowd source possibility, and, if not supported, may be still born.

Having said that, what a great way to help build the real thing, and all power to their elbow.

cheers

Dave

Dave,

I completed the survey, definately a loco I'd like to see produced.

Sorry if someone else has already mentioned this, is it worth approaching the Class G5 Locomotive Company and doing a similiar survey for the Class G5 0-4-4T? Excuse my ignorance but has the O2 tank your currently producing for Kernow got a similiar chassis? Putting you in a good position to commission one of these as well. It would be another nice looking tank engine, highly sought after and start filling the NER gaps.

Just a thought.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Premium

The major manufacturers have done a lot for LNER modellers recently, with models for GER and GCR lines. The GNR is coming along nicely with Hornby's N2 available, and models announced from Heljan for the O2 2-8-0, Locomotion/Bachmann for the C2 4-4-2 Atlantic, and now Hornby for the J50 0-6-0T. I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann announce the J6 0-6-0 in March - a lovely loco, and the tender might share parts with the Atlantic's tender.

Logic would suggest the manufacturers will then turn their attention to the NER, as the remaining 'obvious' gap in loco provision. In which case we might well see the G5, and J21 and 27, to add to the Q6 coming from DHModels.

John

The latest copy of Heritage Railway Magazine is also covering this imaginative project and helping to bring it to an even wider audience. Hopefully it will encourage further expressions of interest and bring this project closer to lift off! A win win: a model at 4mm to the foot and a full sze working example drought back from extinction!

The major manufacturers have done a lot for LNER modellers recently, with models for GER and GCR lines. The GNR is coming along nicely with Hornby's N2 available, and models announced from Heljan for the O2 2-8-0, Locomotion/Bachmann for the C2 4-4-2 Atlantic, and now Hornby for the J50 0-6-0T. I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann announce the J6 0-6-0 in March - a lovely loco, and the tender might share parts with the Atlantic's tender.

Logic would suggest the manufacturers will then turn their attention to the NER, as the remaining 'obvious' gap in loco provision. In which case we might well see the G5, and J21 and 27, to add to the Q6 coming from DHModels.

John

I agree with you John, I'd love to see this F5 project come off. I also want a J6.

My logic in asking DJ Models to enquire about a survey for a G5 tank is Dave probably has the contacts to initiate a survey. If the survey for the F5 tank is successful and means extra funding for the working prototype, I can't imagine the G5 loco society would reject the idea of a survey for an OO scale model. Best of both worlds for us rail modellers a G5 and F5 tank in both model and working prototype form, partly funded by us.

• Like 3

First I have no connection with the F5 Project. I have enough on with "the Unknown Warrior!" However I do try to support other new builds when I can and this gives me the opportunity to support the F5 and end up with a delightful model.

Before contemplating extending this idea to other new build projects I would like to see the concept proven with the F5 as they had the courage to contemplted the idea first. I do hope it works for everyone involved.

• Like 1