Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

but I sorted it out

Haven't you learnt yet? Makes me think, some manufacturers could try that - we've done the cads, we've got the prototypes, done all the clever stuff, but we can't load the pictures.. . someone had to say it, guess it was me :jester:

Good evening .... well after a near Family biblical disaster in our house earlier on "THE INTERNET HAS GONE OFF !!!!" came the frantic screams from the Females in our house, but I sorted it out and normal screen gazing service was restored so I could get back to gentler pleasures of doing some more on my 129 build whilst listening to BBC 6 Music, so here are some pictures of the finer little things I have been fettling and fitting:

*** Well I would put the pictures on if I can get them to download !!! ***

I made up the fuel and engine coolant filler necks and body mounting castings:

This picture shows how the fillers will be eventually fitted in position from the inside of the body side

And finally for tonight the door hinges are being fitted:

Those door hinges are superb!

Paul R

Those door hinges are superb!

Paul R

This is indeed the best modelling I have never seen

Paul R

Good evening .... well after a near Family biblical disaster in our house earlier on "THE INTERNET HAS GONE OFF !!!!" came the frantic screams from the Females in our house, but I sorted it out and normal screen gazing service was restored so I could get back to gentler pleasures of doing some more on my 129 build whilst listening to BBC 6 Music, so here are some pictures of the finer little things I have been fettling and fitting:

*** Well I would put the pictures on if I can get them to download !!! ***

I made up the fuel and engine coolant filler necks and body mounting castings:

This picture shows how the fillers will be eventually fitted in position from the inside of the body side

And finally for tonight the door hinges are being fitted: 

Ok, finally I got the pictures downloaded, bet late than never, my week has been a bit busy, involving a visit to see my Mum in Lancashire, then my return home trip tied in with a visit to Jintyman this allowed me to see the Tal y Llyn junction track work in the flesh ..... very nice "drool, drool".

So hopefully below are the not so interesting or inspiring pictures of the coolant & fuel fillers assembled, one body side shown with the hinges fitted. & one filler shown in position for assessment of fitting.

post-8721-0-05601000-1438930998_thumb.jpg

post-8721-0-43476100-1438931055_thumb.jpg

post-8721-0-33681600-1438931002_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 4

Very nice Craig, it's the little bits that make the difference.

Been a bit off the grid myself with work this last couple of days, but a weekend off for a change should see some progress. Nice to meet again the other day, did you manage to watch the DVD yet?

Jinty ;)

Very nice Craig, it's the little bits that make the difference.

Been a bit off the grid myself with work this last couple of days, but a weekend off for a change should see some progress. Nice to meet again the other day, did you manage to watch the DVD yet?

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty, watch the video ? ... no sorry, got home last night and I got a very strong smell of heating oil outside the house, found my plastic tank had sprung a pin hole leak, typical just filled the bloody thing filled up last week with the oil price being down for the summer, so I was at it till 11pm last night transferring as much out of it as I could into oil barrels from my garage, whacked some JB weld on it, tough job whilst it is wet though, manage to stem it to a drip, so today up at the crack of dawn, bought a new bunded tank, the rest of the day was spent transferring out the rest of the 2500 litres !!!!! into storage tanks borrowed from kind folks round here, fitted the new bunded tank, and then transferred the oil back in, so all in all, a great day had on the nicest day of this month  :banghead:

Sat here now with the lovely "odour de' kero" all around, this stuff is dreadful !!!

Tanker delivery tomorrow morningfor the Petrol station at 7.00am .... gawd I love the summer hols.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

Craig

Are there any door handles in your kit? I am just starting the Easy Build MK 1 SK and there are nine in the kit nor are they referenced in the instructions

Regards

Paul R

Craig

Are there any door handles in your kit? I am just starting the Easy Build MK 1 SK and there are nine in the kit nor are they referenced in the instructions

Regards

Paul R

Hi Paul, yes I do have door handles, but I was missing the rivets for the filler caps, and the power bogies instructions and what parts I have are a bit ambiguous to say the least but I have contacted Shaun and we are in discussion.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Paul, yes I do have door handles, but I was missing the rivets for the filler caps, and the power bogies instructions and what parts I have are a bit ambiguous to say the least but I have contacted Shaun and we are in discussion.

Best regards

Craig.

I will have to check my Hydra kit when I get home.

Are you not fitting the hinge base plates to your doors?

Paul R

Ah I am pleased to report I have found the door handles lurking in the corner of the poly pack!

I also managed to fit all the door hinges and base plates whilst not losing any on the floor!

Paul R

• Like 3

Hi Paul.

Glad to hear that you have found the door handles. In my Easy build BG these are etched brass and a little "square! in profile. I may attempt to round them off a little before I fit them or I may splash out and buy some brass castings instead. Time will tell. I have to do the lining next as the door handles may interfere with this process. The EB hinges and base plates are very nice but a little fiddly to fit. Like you I did not lose one on the floor!

Rod

Hi Rod

Yes mine are a bit square too. I think these are made in a lathe or milling machine and as you say they really need rounding off. Not too bad on a BG or SK but perhaps not so much fun on a suburban! I also have a long term build of a Westdale 121 kit and this has a lot of handles to do also!

Paul R

I will have to check my Hydra kit when I get home.

Are you not fitting the hinge base plates to your doors?

Paul R

Hi Paul, there was no mention of door hinge base plates on the 129/Hydra build, so I will check again when I get home.

Best regards

Craig

Hi Paul, there was no mention of door hinge base plates on the 129/Hydra build, so I will check again when I get home.

Best regards

Craig

In the MK 1 kit they were on the same etch as the hinges.

Paul R

Ah I am pleased to report I have found the door handles lurking in the corner of the poly pack!

I also managed to fit all the door hinges and base plates whilst not losing any on the floor!

Paul R

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ...... Paul I found my hinge base plates, and after re-reading the instructions   :rtfm: .......  carefully removed this dinner time, and have re-done some of the hinges again  :banghead:

Pictures to show this will be put on here tonight.

Can I please ask all those people who liked the previous pictures of the hinge please unlike them ...... they should have an "Oy T0$$er you have done that wrong" button.

Oh the joys of modelling ..... I should by a big lego train and just run that  :O

Craig.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ...... Paul I found my hinge base plates, and after re-reading the instructions   :rtfm: .......  carefully removed this dinner time, and have re-done some of the hinges again  :banghead:

Pictures to show this will be put on here tonight.

Can I please ask all those people who liked the previous pictures of the hinge please unlike them ...... they should have an "Oy T0$$er you have done that wrong" button.

Oh the joys of modelling ..... I should by a big lego train and just run that  :O

Craig.

I wouldn't worry about it Craig, we all make cock ups, me more than most I think!!!

Glad you've been able to do a touch more modelling as well  ;) :imsohappy:

Jinty ;)

I wouldn't worry about it Craig, we all make cock ups, me more than most I think!!!

Glad you've been able to do a touch more modelling as well  ;) :imsohappy:

Jinty ;)

Ha ha Jinty, this is what makes us humans, as far as modelling goes, I am just getting 1/2 hours here and there, but 'tis the last week of the season now really, so hopefully after the Bank Holiday next week things will settle down and more modelling time will be available.

Craig.

Craig

Better now than when it was painted!

Paul R

Very true Paul, very true.

Craig.

Hi Paul, sorry the picture of the prototype is not to clear because of the size of it, but I think it may be the length of the head codes from top to bottom that may be just a little shorter on the cab model ?

post-8721-0-06519700-1438457006_thumb.jpattachicon.gifclass 105 cab front.jpg

Also the lights look too low down the face

Steve

Hi Steve, I am still mulling over the cab face, the difference between Hydra "129 units" and the congenital 105's was the coupling codes, 105s are blue Square, and all coupling gear was on or below the buffer beam including the multiple electrical sockets, but the 129's where yellow diamond same as the Derby lightweights and Met Cam lightweights, these had the vac pipes etc on the buffer beams & the electrical multiple control cables mounted further up on the can fronts above the marker lights.

Once measurements have been confirmed I will be tackling the cab fronts.

Happy modelling

Craig

Hello Paul, yes all the hinges are redone now thanks  :imsohappy: , I started to build up the motor bogie, but some of the parts didn't resemble those illustrated on the instructions, after a conflab with Shawn and some pictures sent to him, he  has identified it as an older style unit with pin point axles, and to be fair Shawn sent me out a replacement in exchange, but he has allowed me to have a go at building up the older one as well, which has built up nice and easy, and to be fair seems to run reasonably quietly, I will make a decision if keeping the older style motor after Telford and let Shawn know either way.

But I have to say Shawn is a top bloke when giving Customer service.

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1