Muddy's dithering "journey" into O Gauge - help please GWR vs Southern decision

muddys-blues

Good morning Jints, with regards to some curvature that is in hand and in the forefront of my mind, the station board line will be on a slight angle with line running nearer to the front of the board at the road over bridge end, I am hoping to put the bridge over the river near to the back of the valley board, this will then make the line curve slightly as the station line approaches the bridge over the river, this should have an effect on the single line and storage loop side, as I have 10.5' to play within that section I may gat a slight arc on there, but as you can appreciate a running width of 400mm over a length of 5800mm gives some scope, but not much when planning in some scenery as well.

I have some ideas on aiding the 3D effect of the scenery to the rear, possibly by adding say a 100mm (4") section just for scenic purposes, to help add a grassy embankment at the rear of the station and the storage loop and line boards, and adding some tress behind on the valley board to give the sense of depth to the rear of the bridge.

The straightness of the line was the first thing that bothered me a bit when I first drew the plan down, so I have mulled it over in my head for a week or so before resurrecting this thread, I have should have laid it down on the drawing better to relay my ideas more clearly.

The platform edging will be fettled together in sections today and hopefully some undercoat primer applied, this will be done firstly so I can use the edging as a guide to play about with the angle of the station line approach and the curve towards the bridge.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I managed to grab a bit of time on part constructing the impressive and very grand passenger facilities for "Nant y Cwm" station, I took the kit work so I could get on with filing, cutting & rubbing down the resin kit in my garage workshop, this offers me a safer and more controlled enviroment to dispose of the resin dust than doing it at home, one thing you have to say for the Skytrex kits is they are very testing & frustrating to try and get square !!!! I spent a bit of time rubbing the underside of the pagoda roof on a 40's grade sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface to gain what I thought was a nice flat level underside, but still a midges "thingy" out in places, the main body shell sort of went together ok, but again a bit more fettling required on the lower and upper edges to get it absolutely square, the building sides are glued together now, the roof was just plonked on for assessment, piccy below .... any comments good or bad welcome.

I am thinking of doing the building in a grubby black colour as per a picture of Radipole Station that has given me the inspiration for this project ....... sorry if I have infringed any copyright.

Craig.

post-8721-0-41909200-1454538508_thumb.jpgpost-8721-0-59294200-1454539655.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Craig

How are you getting on with that Hydra?

Paul R

It's still sat there Paul ....  :scratchhead: , I have been concentrating more on getting the boards sorted for the branchline section, but life keeps getting in the way, also I have been slowly getting rid of the of 4mm stuff "still I hear some people say", I have 1 x Bachmann 37 left "this is now reserved :imsohappy: ", just a few more MK1's to sell off "some are going on their way to Mr Bullock's Abbottswood Junction tomorrow", so the 7mm funds are building back up nicely .... as I have a Heljan Blue 25/1 on pre-order, and a Blue Class 37 centre headcode also on pre-order, and I shall be contacting Mr Kay and ordering one of his Met Cam 101 kits.

With regards to the 129's Paul ...... did I mention I had another one ????  :whistle: , no !!! well I have 2 now as I picked one up cheap on ebay last year, now this was going to be another Hydra in it's last guise, but I have had a change of heart on this, and because I bought 2 of the Heljan AC Railbus models, I have been looking at 129's in green !!!! WHAT I hear you say ...... green ???? and I fancy doing a lined green with small yellow warning panel, so it looks like I am heading down the 2 era route  :O ............ not sure I will be putting any erm how can I say this ... cough, cough ..... erm kettles on the layout though ................ I now await a  :blackeye: off some of our "slightly senior" modellers.

So I will batch build the 2 x 129's together, I found an interesting plan of the original internal layout that showed the guards compartment, so I have downloaded a copy for modelling purposes.

Happy modelling

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 8

Craig

The 2 car Cravens I have is to be finished in green so you are not alone.

Black Notley will have 3 eras of operation.

Pure Ex Great Eastern steam - based around 1958

Steam and green diesel around 1962/63

Blue mid 1970's - my school days!

The layout will be detailed to 1958 style

I even had half a thought of putting up overheads so I could run a Class 309. The Walton branch had steam under wires

Paul R

There could be all that smoke/ash and hissing coming soon then now you are one step nearer to that period ?

Steve this will be as far as I go, I am sort of helping out Dr Beeching here with my green items, I will be doing a passenger survey to see if the line is a viable option to stay open ...... once I have built it that is !!!!

Also I am laughing at myself here, as far as I know I don't think the AC Railbuses ran in the Welsh regions, and heavens know why a green Cravens Parcels will be heading down that single line either ..... but as I stated from the outset of this 7mm project I never intended to be too strict on the where's, why's and what fors of this layout, I just want to build a nice layout and run some nice models ... Rule 1 has been implemented !!!

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 5

Good afternoon fellow modellers, this item has been purchased by Randy Wales, look forward to seeing on his layout thread in the coming months.

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-12951000-1457186310_thumb.jpg 

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

So I will batch build the 2 x 129's together, I found an interesting plan of the original internal layout that showed the guards compartment, so I have downloaded a copy for modelling purposes.

I would be interested in that.

Good afternoon fellow modellers, I was just going through my stock, and decided I have one too many of these anybody interested in purchasing a Westdale GUV kit ? it is brand new untouched, and it comes with a pair of GJH Plant Kits Commonwealth Bogies, wheels and bearings.

Please PM if you are interested ?

Craig.

attachicon.gifphoto (1).JPG

Just seen this on WT ;)

Steve

Edited by 40126

Hi Craig.

Like Barnaby I too would like to see a track plan even if it is only a rough sketch. As I have said many times before Work always seems to get in the way BUT even when one is retired modelling time still appears limited as other things and interests come to the fore.

Keep up the good work and remember that every great journey begins with one small step and every small step is one step closer to the final goal.

Rod

Hello Rod, thanks for looking in, here is the rough'ish plan that was on the previous page, but due to my Heljan Railbus purchases I am going to re-jig it slightly, as I will be incorporating either a turntable or using a cassette system off scene, this will allow me to manually turn the Railbuses, now you may say that sounds a bit daft but I have a reason for this is I will be fitting one driver in one cab end only, I thought the railbus is too small to fit a driver in each end, it will look like there are more staff than passengers, also I will be fitting a working oil tail lamp to one end as well, so the model will look daft running back down the line with the oil lamp on the front, so my solution is turn the model, so a turntable or cassette saves handling them as well

post-8721-0-42604800-1453645574_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, no modelling updates, but instead a shameless plug of some wagons that aren't fitting my pre-1983 era if anybody is interested ? These are the excellent GJH Plant kits, I have 3 x Rudds & 1 x Tope to dispose of if anybody is interested, it was only today I found out these wagons where introduce in 1989  :banghead: , so PM if anyone is interested in giving them a home ?

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-03326200-1459712089_thumb.jpg

Hello, anybody fancy giving a home to this lovely Banger Blue Heljan 40 shelf queen, sadly it is just too big for my Welsh Western themed layout so it is up for offer, I would be happy to discuss an exchange against a JLTRT Class 22 or a Green Heljan Hymek, so PM me if any parties are interested ?

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-27139400-1459967745.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1