Wild Swan under new ownership

David Bigcheeseplant

This was on Titfield Thunderbolt website, I have known for a few weeks but now the news is now public, MRJ is now to be published under Cygnet Magazines

David

Wild Swan Books Ltd

I am very pleased to announce that as from Tuesday 16th December I have taken over the book publishing and marketing operations of Wild Swan Publications from Paul Karau and June Judge. From now I will be handling all trade and retail sales and will be responsible for the future production of all new titles under the Wild Swan imprint. Paul is happily carrying on with the magazine publishing side of the business, namely Model Railway Journal, Great Western Journal, British Railway Journal and the new LMS Review, together with continuing ales of the LMS Journal and Midland Record. He will be changing the name of the magazine business to Cygnet Magazines as he is keen that the Wild Swan name should stay with the book publishing business.

I have long admired Wild Swan books and am very pleased to have the opportunity to continue the name and business into the future. Paul has very kindly indicated his willingness to stay very much involved in the production side of things and there are a number of projects in the pipeline together with some new ideas for publishing projects.

There are lots of details to be attended to and I will announce developments here as they unfold. My very talented friend George Mumford has devised an excellent "back of house" administrative system and I will shortly be putting up a new website for Wild Swan at www.wildswanbooks.co.uk, which will become the website for Wild Swan.

Simon

As part of the new ownership all web presence will be taken down, payment will be by cheque, cash and soon groats, pigs or sheep!

As I understand LNER wagons 4B and other titles will still be published as planned.

David

But I always pay in camels!

Is the Cygnet name a coincidence or was there a previous link?

Cygnet = offspring of swan; a link is usually required.......

Well, that was why I was asking...

The OP isn't quite clear, the 'I' in it isn't specified, is it the owner of the Titfield Thunderbolt? And I wasn't sure whether Cygnet was a new publisher/name set up to take over Wild Swan magazines or whether it was an existing one?

No coffee for me, horrible stuff. Could I have a Lemsip?

• RMweb Gold

Yes it's Simon at Titfield Thunderbolt, statement is on his front page, and I can't imagine a safer pair of hands to continue it as is, his shop is always well stocked with their titles :)

http://www.titfield.co.uk/index.htm

Thank goodness for that - I was a little worried when I read the OP as I wasn't entirely sure who David was quoting,  Now all is much clearer and I wish both Paul and 'not Jeremy' every success in all aspects of the new arrangement.   Good to know that the imprint has passed from one pair of enthusiastic hands to another, but what is going to happen to that distinctive font in the books?

I remember when on holiday in Tunisia many years ago a rather attractive Scottish lass staying at the same hotel seemed to be valued by one of the local traders at around 4 camels and 2 large carpets.

Was offered 6 camels for the ex whilst transiting Suez, many years ago. A missed opportunity...

• RMweb Gold

Mind elaborating on that for the uninitiated Mike?

Currently IA = poor quality.

WS = good quality.

The past 3 IA books I was very interested in I haven't purchased due to the ropey photographic reproduction.

Mike.

(avoiding faux pa's for smart*rses to pick up on!)

Archived