LNWR Crane Tank and Shunting Engine Kit

kipford

• RMweb Gold

Very brief update: Shunting engine test etch corrections complete. Crane tank etch artwork complete and ready for test etch. A new supplier is producing as 3D printed boiler assembly that I hope will be of high enough quality to use it as pattern for resin casting. Also I am in middle of doing some decoration to keep my wife happy as I have been away 3 weekends at show recently. 

• Like 2

Hi all a long time since I posted anything. The project is still live it has just been a bit slow over the last year. I lost the mojo a bit plus had problems with the masters for the castings and some etch issues. These are now basically sorted so I can proceed with completing the shunting engine test builds. I took early retirement on 22nd December, so work will not now get in the way. The crane tank is now 98% modelled based using the experience gained on the shunting engine. A picture of the current state of play is shown below. David thanks for the picture of the 7mm kit it looks very nice.

attachicon.gifCrane Tank Jan17.JPG

I will post some pictures when I get the prototype finished.

I like this Crane Tank! Too bad it never survived into preservation...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit late I know (been in holiday and only returned a couple of hours ago). LRM has the prototype Shunting Engine on its stand at EXPO EM spring. I will be there tomorrow with the other body variants.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

It will be ready when it is ready, this a learning exercise for me. As I posted above, the shunting engine etches are ready for hopefully the final test and the crane tank is now ready to go test. The boiler castings are providing the biggest headache, but after some fruit full discussion at EXPO EM. I hope we may have solved some resolution issues which were causing problems with the 3d print masters.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

No apparent action for while, but I now have the test etches for crane tank. I have also managed to get decent 3D prints from Shapeways by changing the default tessalation values on CATIA to produce a much finer mesh in the .stl files which were limiting the quality of the prints. Excuse the crap photos I was having light problems with my IPhone. So the crane tank first test build has commenced. First photos show the etches, then some of the 3D prints then the assembled crane jib assembly which I must admit does not look bad. The first crane tank build will be available to look at on the LRM stand at the SHMRC Portsmouth show on November 17th (see exhibitions threads for details). The shunting engine will be running on Hope - under - Dinmore at the same exhibition, I will be operating on Hope if anyone wants to look more closely, just ask. I may be persuaded to take all the bits to Warley if anyone is interested as I will be there with our Brighton East layout.

post-1359-0-68386400-1539778703_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-46571300-1539778735_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-89197800-1539778774_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-14112100-1539778788_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-05490400-1539778818_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-01464200-1539778844_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-34656600-1539778866_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-56200300-1539778885_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-59255400-1539778897_thumb.jpg 

• Like 8

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this. I was under the impression that this loco was to be sold by LRM and the shunting loco kit had been proved and was waiting on LRM getting an approved supplier for the 3D print for the boiler. Is the crane tank version to be marketed as a completely different kit?

I'd appreciate clarification, please.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by this. I was under the impression that this loco was to be sold by LRM and the shunting loco kit had been proved and was waiting on LRM getting an approved supplier for the 3D print for the boiler. Is the crane tank version to be marketed as a completely different kit?

David

There are two kits, always has been. They will both be available from LRM. I was originally only going to do the Crane Tank, but as I had all the research data I decided to do the Shunting Engine as well. Because it is my first kit I concentrated on the shunting engine first as the chassis is slightly simpler but has more body configurations. All the castings for the shunting engine are common to the crane tank, but the crane tank requires additional castings for the crane jib. The 3D printing is a long story of people saying they will do things but it never happened hence I have taken it back into my own hands to sort out prints with which I am happy to use as casting masters or maybe just supply the prints? Depends on cost.

The shunting engine has been through first build and I have the corrected etches to review. We already know there is a common problem with the chassis etch on both kits which we are investigating the cause of, but we think is due to glitch at the etch suppliers. So further trial etches will be required for both kits and it is likely both kits will now release about the time. 

Hope this helps? 

• RMweb Gold

John

I found them on photographs I  took of the preserved shunting engine which is part of the national collection and currently resides at the Ribble Railway. It is not totally clear if they are double or single row, but based on the fact the other joints are double row it would be a reasonable assumption they are double row. I have included a zoomed image from one of my photos and a  couple of full loco shots just to add some colour. The full loco shots are not my own but give to me by a member of the Ribble Railway.

post-1359-0-75417700-1539812030_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-65088200-1539812058_thumb.jpg

post-1359-0-59575200-1539812099_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

David

There are two kits, always has been. They will both be available from LRM. I was originally only going to do the Crane Tank, but as I had all the research data I decided to do the Shunting Engine as well. Because it is my first kit I concentrated on the shunting engine first as the chassis is slightly simpler but has more body configurations. All the castings for the shunting engine are common to the crane tank, but the crane tank requires additional castings for the crane jib. The 3D printing is a long story of people saying they will do things but it never happened hence I have taken it back into my own hands to sort out prints with which I am happy to use as casting masters or maybe just supply the prints? Depends on cost.

The shunting engine has been through first build and I have the corrected etches to review. We already know there is a common problem with the chassis etch on both kits which we are investigating the cause of, but we think is due to glitch at the etch suppliers. So further trial etches will be required for both kits and it is likely both kits will now release about the time.

Hope this helps?

Helps a lot thanks.

John

I found them on photographs I  took of the preserved shunting engine which is part of the national collection and currently resides at the Ribble Railway. It is not totally clear if they are double or single row, but based on the fact the other joints are double row it would be a reasonable assumption they are double row. I have included a zoomed image from one of my photos and a  couple of full loco shots just to add some colour. The full loco shots are not my own but give to me by a member of the Ribble Railway.

attachicon.gifDSC00395crop.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF0675.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1146.JPG

Thanks for this Dave as you say it's difficult to spot if it's a single or double line.

John

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update, been a long time but anyway. The shunting engine should be on sale from LRM at Scalefour North. The crane tank first protoype was finished this afternoon (99% anyway) and will be on show on the SHMRC Hope - under - Dinmore layout at Leamington this weekend. Note LRM are also there. The shunting engine will be performing as well as it is now part of the schedule. I will post a photo of the crane tank once John Redrup has seen it.

Regards

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

After a bit of work with pick ups and some running in the crane tank entered the schedule with its train in tow.

99% Finished Thursday. The crane hook was something quickly knocked up and is totally wrong!

IMG_1632.JPG.0bcea7fb6f36d66a05f4d73df4a4d2f3.JPG

The girls together in the head shunt.

IMG_1652.JPG.98834b74a94d2a0b8c027d8c88f41fc0.JPG

On display in the yard Saturday. Note the paint was still soft and handling had removed a lot by then

IMG_1655a.jpg.e697147e46b380e116a623e1599f12ab.jpg

finally with it train. note this is a legitimate formation based a photograph that John Redrup sent me.  

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

The kit for the Shunter is now avaliable ( contact London Rd Models) mine arrived 2 days ago and am very impressed with the kit and the instructions. The resin tank and boiler is a real work of art. You need to to order the motor and gearbox to match the kit. Thanks to Kipford for the excellent work. 

D600D016-9583-47B4-ADF4-23828CD6922E.jpeg

B2648A70-7A20-491B-A027-67A173271E5F.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Norton961 said:

The kit for the Shunter is now avaliable ( contact London Rd Models) mine arrived 2 days ago and am very impressed with the kit and the instructions. The resin tank and boiler is a real work of art. You need to to order the motor and gearbox to match the kit. Thanks to Kipford for the excellent work. 

D600D016-9583-47B4-ADF4-23828CD6922E.jpeg

B2648A70-7A20-491B-A027-67A173271E5F.jpeg

You just persuaded me, sent John an email to order one.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I spoke to John at LRM yesterday and asked what progress has been with the crane tank. The designer, having retired, has been recruited as a consultant by his former company, working away from home a lot. So progress has been slow. I don't know how much further work is required to finalise the detail parts.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jol  long time no see! Hope are now keeping well?

Asterix, RHb.

John and I concentrated on getting the shunting engine kit completed. Then with lockdown John was not sure things were going to pan out, plus I wanted a break, so the crane tank has been in limbo for the past 10 months or so while I concentrated on my 5" gauge Aspinall and doing a lot of 3D printing on my own and club members projects. The etches needed the corrections from the prototype build incorporating, the instructions written (aa marathon in itself), but most important to sort the masters for the unique castings needed for the crane. My Any Cubic Photon Resin printer lives in my shed (unlike my FDM printer) because it is not management friendly, being smelly and a bit messy on print post processing. It is too cold to print in there at the moment, so realistically it is going to be at least 6 or 7 months before the kit is anywhere ready for release. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update. Having got over the preparation and running of our club show and taking a break from the 5" gauge project, I have now found the time and motivation to finish the crane tank. I have sorted out the cast parts for the crane assembly, because they are very fine parts, they would be very difficult to cast so we have decided to go with 3D prints. The prototypes for the shunting engine and the crane tank used 3D and I find no issue with them, it also saves a fortune in casting tooling and potentially high scrap rates. If you break or loose one they can be replaced for very little money. I have nearly finished the modifications required to the etches and have started on the instructions. So all thing being equal I should have it finished by Christmas:dancer: to pass over to John.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Instructions are finished and with John Redrup for a final review to make sure there are no howlers. The production etches are finished and due to go to the etchers next week. The crane assembly production standard 3D prints have been test fitted without any issues, they are being painted at the moment. So essentially we are ready to go. John will advise a release date in due course. The photo shows the the production standard 3D prints being tried out on the prototype (excuse the dust on the paint). If anyone is interested these are being printed on an Anycubic Photon Mono by Jonathan Buckie (Great Shefford). My first generation photon does not quite print as crisply and I did not want to get involved in making production parts.

image0.jpeg.a9ee1e02f5afd560f217b822aa7aad75.jpeg

Edited by kipford
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1