Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Looking through my Wild Swan book, I can't really see any curve, but what I did notice in the cover shot is what looks like Platform 1 reducing in width. It almost looks as if it's opposite the point to the loco yard.

Thanks again,

Looking again at the track plans - maybe I should have used modellers licence to get it narrower... by keeping the turntable outside the station shed... but assuming there had been no change to that layout and it stayed into the 1930's

I don't think it reduces in width Neal - certainly never gave me that impression - but I think there was slight cut-back- in the edging slabs to allow for overhang when an engine was using the release crossover.  As far as the layout is concerned the plans in PK's book are as accurate as we could get them from whatever information was available.  On the SRS disc/website the track layout looks to be accurate but part of the signalling/numbering does not as the route repeating Home signal seems to be omitted however the signals might well be accurate for the time after the route repeating Home was removed.  The locking is for the 1956 frame so no use with the diagram on the SRS site.

• RMweb Premium

I would never profess to being the tidiest when it comes to soldering, but this time I am trying to be.... Strip back a very small amount of wire, par off the lugs underneath the rail, tin the rail and wire and solder both together. Holes then need to be drilled under the board.

This close up shows what I am trying to achieve.

post-6981-0-19689000-1420372801_thumb.jpg

This is the sort of wiring I had before on the old layout. The wire would be attached to the side of the rail and would be drilled beside the track, which was always visible..... I'm hoping to avoid this....

post-6981-0-04607600-1420373069_thumb.jpg

Photos are being taken on my new wifi camera, emailed from the camera to the iPad and added to this post!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

GWR Castle class loco 4-6-0 No 5008 Tregena Castle was the first loco to test the newly laid tracks.

Platforms 1 and 2 have been laid onto Cork and are now electrically wired etc. They all just need adding to the BUS cables which are still to be added underneath. Everything is also connected into the points at the station throat.

post-6981-0-10601900-1420410323_thumb.jpg

Tregena Castle is seen on Platform 2, looking across the end of the goods yard.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the containers stuffed full of 64xx now on the high seas, its time to see what 64xx were allocated close to Henley in the 1930's... what would / could have found it's way down the branch?

My GWR London engine shed book (Wild Swan), shews the allocations for 1930 and 1936 and nothing is listed, although here are plenty of 54xx sheded at Southall in 1936... (There are loads of photos of 54xx around London in the Pannier papers Vol 7)

The same Pannier Paper shews 6407 being at Southall on 22nd August 1936 and 6408 being there the year before. (photos of both on page 22) Both initially were allocated to Laira. Looks as if they will be my locos for Henley then.... Clearly they would be better without top feed, so either this will come off, or I will just put up with it... Either way, they will be in GWR Roundel livery. Although Page 4 states there is no evidence they received it... all being turned out as "GREAT WESTERN"

On the basis that I won't count the rivets, maybe I should number them in the 54xx series..... there were loads sheded at Southall - but still nothing at Reading.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From the sounds of it the splashes on the 64xx are oversize to clear the OO flanges, that what you are buying may be closer to a 54xx in look anyway. If I remember rightly that (and the wheel size) were the major differences, and I suspect in OO the wheel size will be less noticeable

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From the sounds of it the splashes on the 64xx are oversize to clear the OO flanges, that what you are buying may be closer to a 54xx in look anyway. If I remember rightly that (and the wheel size) were the major differences, and I suspect in OO the wheel size will be less noticeable

Thanks Rich, According to the Pannier Papers the driving wheels are 5ft 2 with the 64xx being 4ft 7 1/2

But you are right - I won't be able to see a difference of only 6 1/2 inches at 4mm to the foot....

• RMweb Premium

Todays progress - has been slow :-) But isn't that the way... or at least it seems the way with me at the moment....

On the railway, I have laid more Cork, this time to go under the goods yard tracks, plus added the BUS under the main tracks. The goods yard tracks are only laid down to gauge where they will go, they do not have their dropper wires yet. I am convinced every section of track should have its own dropper.

Sadly I've wired the main tracks up to include a short :-( I think I know what I've done, but the points need to come up and be adjusted. Although the heater was on all day, the temperature dropped considerably about 6pm so I called it a day... More progress soon.

post-6981-0-87138200-1421611733_thumb.jpg

The two tracks to the left are the goods yard, they will be joined by the back siding, which will come off the headshunt. The third road in is the bay / Parcels, there is photographic evidence of the local services to Twyford leaving from there... but I stand to be corrected, as in the 1930's the far platform face was the departure platform.....

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

With the containers stuffed full of 64xx now on the high seas, its time to see what 64xx were allocated close to Henley in the 1930's... what would / could have found it's way down the branch?

My GWR London engine shed book (Wild Swan), shews the allocations for 1930 and 1936 and nothing is listed, although here are plenty of 54xx sheded at Southall in 1936... (There are loads of photos of 54xx around London in the Pannier papers Vol 7)

The same Pannier Paper shews 6407 being at Southall on 22nd August 1936 and 6408 being there the year before. (photos of both on page 22) Both initially were allocated to Laira. Looks as if they will be my locos for Henley then.... Clearly they would be better without top feed, so either this will come off, or I will just put up with it... Either way, they will be in GWR Roundel livery. Although Page 4 states there is no evidence they received it... all being turned out as "GREAT WESTERN"

On the basis that I won't count the rivets, maybe I should number them in the 54xx series..... there were loads sheded at Southall - but still nothing at Reading.

I believe the Southall 64XX worked auto trains in the London area, particularly up the New Road (i.e. northwards from the junction at Old Oak Common West) and possibly the Greenford branch.  Southall engines were definitely a rarity at Henley in later years although there was a regular push-pull working right up to dieselisation (but not with a 64XX).  So maybe a bit of reallocation to RDG is needed?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After a gap of a couple of weeks, there has been some activity in the railway room today....

1. The first stage of the double glazing has been installed..... 600 x 1200 x 2mm plastic sheets from B & Q £17

2. Then I set to and fixed the short circuit I had last time I was out there and then continued wiring the layout up.... To the point where Platform 1 and 2 are now live, together with the run-round loop. The points are not yet electrically live.

3. This also meant laying more cork underlay, which extends out to the main up and down lines.

In wanting to take a photo before dinner, I wanted to find one of my Pannier tanks, but could only find the Railbus. (Found all the Castles and halls, but wasn't going to fiddle with tender to loco connections.)

Henley7-2-15.jpg.5b55def5b09c21400559714a089f4227.jpg

The goods shed does not belong there....

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 photos updated
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A quick couple of hours tonight spent on Henley... more soldering, now see's the two main running lines, cross-over and both carriage sidings wired up.

Every section of track is having droppers attached, these are then fed through the baseboard and will be connected to the BUS wire in batches....

I hope to get round the corner within a week or so, but have run out of cork, so need to get into Gaugemaster. (I did try to get some from B & Q this evening, but apparently no-one buys cork tiles anymore.)

Henley9-2-15.jpg.925fafcbdce01490bff81cf82af2b543.jpg

edit: The lines to the left of the cross-over go into the double slips at the head of each platform, the connecting lines are all new... The Up line to the right of the shot is not yet connected...

This is the section of room that has double glazing - obviously at this height, this will be hidden behind the back-scene.

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 photos updated
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This weekend is seeing a bit of a jump forward... Due to no building work / garden remodelling being done.....

The lower level is going in this weekend, together with the mainline going down from Henley to the rest of the world. Plywood is being sawn in the garage almost like a production line and then cut to exact size in the model railway room..... There is an awful lot of track to go down once all the wood is in place.

The idea is that the main line will descend along the back wall of the shed, ( there will be a hinged access point in front of the entrance door). This level will join the lower one at a junction at the very far end, where it will dive under the station, the main tracks will stay at the nearest edge and have two long passing loops.

Then on the back wall, in front of the descending track, will be two further long loops.

Together with carriage sidings at the station, these then give the storage sidings for stock not in use.

I also built my work bench today. Also from Plywood. Photos hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 6

Henley had more than its fair share of slip coach workings. I have a Maurice earley shot of a pannier leaving Henley with two slips heading back to the mainline. In the 1930's there was a Bristol/Weston train that slipped 3 coaches for Henley.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Henley had more than its fair share of slip coach workings. I have a Maurice earley shot of a pannier leaving Henley with two slips heading back to the mainline. In the 1930's there was a Bristol/Weston train that slipped 3 coaches for Henley.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks for that Mike, I was aware that former slip carriages were used on the branch line service. But I didn't realise there was a regular slip working onto the branch.

Is there photo published anywhere?

Thanks again, Neal

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Mike, I was aware that former slip carriages were used on the branch line service. But I didn't realise there was a regular slip working onto the branch.

Is there photo published anywhere?

Thanks again, Neal

The only slip workings I can find in the 1929 public book are the 09.15 ex Paddington which slipped at Twyford for Henley and the 19.40 Paddington which slipped at Taplow for (all stations to) Henley.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike Wiltshire

I wonder if it was a Regatta special? - 3 carriages is a lot to slip for a Thames Valley branch...

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it was a Regatta special? - 3 carriages is a lot to slip for a Thames Valley branch...

The best source for slip coach workings are the coach working books which normally listed the complete workings for each diagram.  I'm not sure if I've got any London Division ones for the 1930s, I shall have to dig into my archives.  BTW the 1929 service included a number of steam railmotor workings on the branch - one of the Kernow versions should be coming in a  suitable livery for you.

The Regatta workings included lots of additional and altered working as you know and some of that continued into the 1930s with the Radley College train reportedly still being a regular then.

In 1930 there s a shot of a single clerestory slip coming off at Twyford with a Castle on the main Bristol train. In June 1937 three were slipped for Twyford from a Weston Super mare express leaving just 5 coaches of the main train to continue behind a Castle. 5766 with two toplight slips (F16 I think) leaving Henley for Twyford. All from the Maurice Earley collection at York.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike & Mike....

Stationmaster Mike - any suggestions where I would find details of extra trains for the regattas? - A few years ago I spent the day at Kew and got details of excursion trains, the archives seemed light on Regatta traffic. Not that there is any hurry - It will be at least the Autumn (maybe next Spring) before I'm ready for anything like a services ala ANTB...

Coach - Mike - Guess I need to get up to York soon then... Presumably his work is available at Search engine?

Thanks again guys,

• RMweb Premium

Progress this weekend.....

Has been about wood working..... Those of a nervous disposition maybe should look away now :-) My wood working, usually involves lots of sawing, drilling, sawdust, probably some swearing and maybe it might look ok.... My carpentry skills are more Bodgers, than Chippendale :-)

Yesterday I started working on the lower level and at the same time started work on the extra supports underneath the layout. Lengthways there are soft wood supports, across the layout I'm adding in plywood supports, cutting out sections for the tracks underneath to run through.

Henley15-5-15a.jpg.ae84b65433667ddf00336e3cd28c63c5.jpg

I then got side tracked today... and started working on the ascent from the upper level to the lower level.... Time was moving on otherwise I would have found a loco and carriages to test up the incline.... It's going up 120cm over 15ft odd space, by the time it comes off the curves....

With so much wood work activity the model railway room looks like a bomb has hit it!

Henley15-2-15b.jpg.2b51e93fc2047c37f85b42d21776d2fd.jpg

I started with 2 sheets of 9mm ply which I screwed together while using the rotary saw on the garage floor. (Supported by a couple of spare decking to get it off the floor.)

Henley15-2-15c.jpg.c519a6227148f9639015c22209b0de94.jpg

Just need to do the lifting hatch across the door and then I can continue the track laying.

I also started laying the boards ready for a new scenic section..... more anon.

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 photos updated
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking in the carriage workings book, it turns out there are 3 slip workings to Henley.

2 ex-PDN, one slips at Taplow.

Then an up Penzance slipping at Reading.

All three have 3+ carriages bound for Henley

• Like 1