Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

They do look cracking Neal. I'm lucky that I can't get a 4 coach train on my layout, so I've not clicked order, yet :) I did think a pair would replace my aging B set nicely, but I think the wallet can have a rest for now.

Looking forward to seeing them in February. I like the idea of the clerestory as a strengthener, that will look really smart. And seeing as they are released again too.. 

Just need some loco releases from Dapol too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They do look cracking Neal. I'm lucky that I can't get a 4 coach train on my layout, so I've not clicked order, yet :) I did think a pair would replace my aging B set nicely, but I think the wallet can have a rest for now.

Looking forward to seeing them in February. I like the idea of the clerestory as a strengthener, that will look really smart. And seeing as they are released again too.. 

I was under the impression that the Hornby clerestories are not very prototypical, unless I am wrong?

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that the Hornby clerestories are not very prototypical, unless I am wrong?

With a light weathering they don't look to bad see Checkrails layout, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112547-stoke-courtenay/

I have some I run as a small set or split them into singles and put into trains to break the roof line. 

What year was this? I would have thought it unusual that a 61xx was shunting and then taking out a short goods train.

Presumably taken from a departing DMU, do you know any details on what was happening?

Thanks,

It wouldn’t have been particularly unusual in the DMU era. The 61xx’s were designed primarily for the London area suburban services (hence their higher boiler pressure and tractive effort than the 51xx class) and consequently most were shedded at various points between Old Oak Common and Didcot or High Wycombe. When DMU’s were introduced on the Paddington suburban services around 1959/60 the 61xx’s were still under 30 years old so rather than scrap them they were mostly downgraded to more menial work like short freight jobs and some ECS workings at Paddington.

Some lasted to the very end of Western Region steam. An inauspicious end the a class that was both handsome and powerful, but useful to modellers who can now prototypically use them on humble branch workings in the steam/diesel era.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With a light weathering they don't look to bad see Checkrails layout, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112547-stoke-courtenay/

I have some I run as a small set or split them into singles and put into trains to break the roof line. 

Have you got the Hornby R number for these Bob please ?

• RMweb Premium

I might have misread something somewhere but I thought the 2019 re-release was of the original short Tri-ang style clerestories, not the later long ones with painted panelling to simulate relief.

I might have misread something somewhere but I thought the 2019 re-release was of the original short Tri-ang style clerestories, not the later long ones with painted panelling to simulate relief.

That is correct, but the discussion here is not confined to what Hornby has in its current catalogue.

• RMweb Gold

Rob they are R4899 dia:-C15 Composite & R4900 dia:- D29 Brake 3rd in current catalogue, info on these is listed on GWR org.

The all third R4119A-D you will have to hunt it down on ebay etc, I'm not sure how close it is to prototype my best guess is they are rebranded Composite, it's not listed on GWR org

hopefully Miss P can give us a run down on this coach pictures are on attached website.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=2704

The all third R4119A-D you will have to hunt it down on ebay etc, I'm not sure how close it is to prototype my best guess is they are rebranded Composite, 

Yes, it is a rebranded composite (originally 2nd/3rd) later changed to an all 3rd, so it is the same as Hornby's previous C15.

• RMweb Premium

That is correct, but the discussion here is not confined to what Hornby has in its current catalogue.

Thanks. I think I misunderstood the comment in Scott's post above.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold

A quick check through what I've got revealed they are all 3rd class stock brake or otherwise I never did look too closely at them.

I would try swop meets if you have any in your area as they are going for a premium on Ebay at the moment probably dropping 

off on price with the new issue coming out.

Edited by 81C

... the later long ones with painted panelling to simulate relief.

Would it be possible for some enterprising soul to use a silhouette cameo cutter or 3D printer to make the raised beading for these coaches?  

It seems a shame that they are let down by plain flat sides.  Are they worth the effort?  Or too generic to bother with?

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

Would it be possible for some enterprising soul to use a silhouette cameo cutter or 3D printer to make the raised beading for these coaches?  

It seems a shame that they are let down by plain flat sides.  Are they worth the effort?  Or too generic to bother with?

247 Developments used to do etched overlays to do just that. Don't think they are currently available though.

• RMweb Gold

I found this wonderful period image of a train made up of a mixed bag of clerestory coaches and others on the Pembroke-Tenby railway and stashed it away for reference a while ago:

img209.GIF

Source: http://www.pembrokeandmonktonhistory.org.uk/VictorianPembroke.html

Now that's how to break the roofline!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Been a bit pre-occupied the last few days, so missed all the clerestory talk....

I thought I read there was a return of the very short clerestory in the Railroad range and then a longer version in the main range? Or am I making it up?

• RMweb Premium

The 2019 catalogue shews:

Railroad R4913 & R4194 (brake 3rd) - these look like the old Triang ones I threw away years ago!

R4899 C15 Compo & R4900 (Brake 3rd D29) - at 236mm - these are due in stock August 2019:

When I originally saw them in the catalogue, I discounted them from appearing at Henley. Having seen the comments above, that the last two might be close to something prototypical, that thought might be changing! Its a shame though, they seem to be saddled with the very old large tension lock coupling.

Although I remain sceptical that they will look the part next to the new offerings from Hornby - not sure I will get away with them in the same rake!

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 missing images removed
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 1/29/2019 at 8:43 AM, sjrixon said:

As you stated the couplings look to be the older ones, I wonder if there are some nicer replacement bogies that will work?

48hrs without RM web.. Yike, good just I haven't read much of this months magazine.

I have just had a quick look at my coaches and I think it should be quite easy to fit the narrower Bachmann couplings, (36-025) with a few small modifications to either the bogie or the coupling. If I remember correctly there is a longer version of the couplings as well, not sure which would be best. When I can find one of the later liveried coaches I will put my theory to the test.

Brian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Welcome back!

I think we have all suffered withdrawal symptoms this week after the RMWeb upgrade.

Normal service will be resumed :-)

1685969634_Goodsdepot3.jpg.dc151fc7b42005f0671e454d8c6fdf2f.jpg

A favourite photo from recent times - despite the snow falling in the South-East at the moment, its always Summer at Henley!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It’s been an odd couple of months!

Towards the end of Summer 2018, Robbie and I decided we were going to sell up and take (very) early retirement. This week was the last day if my garden leave and I can now let everyone know what we are up to.

Having sold up in Felpham, we have bought a house in Spain! We have had an apartment here for around 15 years, which has also been sold.

Work on Henley has been very slow as a result, even in the run up to Christmas we weren’t sure when we were going to complete on the sale. This all changed late January and we completed on our new purchase mid-Feb and here we are in Spain!

Before leaving the UK, I took countless photos, measurements etc. these will form the basis of putting it back together again. Thankfully the main station board only needed to be cut in half and looks to have survived very well.

The old railway room was 15ft 2 x 7ft 10 I am gaining something like 3ft in both directions.

All of the old station boRds will be used, but will be lengthened to fit into the space, however, it will now only be on one level. The station will be set inside an oval of track, although at the moment, I’m not not sure where the junction will be. It would be good to get a decent run before it joins the oval.

I will post photos of the breakdown, which was very nerve racking. It’s great now we are here, but tense at times.

Welcome to Spain - Bienvenido a España

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 6