Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Pannier Project - the verdict!

I've just been into the railway room and cast a critical eye over the Pannier - its actually better than I thought it was going to be, if I'm honest.

Under the glared of the magnified work lamp, it looks a bit crude and you can see places I missed or didn't work as well as they should. But on the work bench without magnification, it doesn't look that bad.

There are some areas I remain unhappy about about and it is the same on both sides. Where the top-feed pipe curves round the top of the tank, by the cab, that curve isn't right.

But I then put it onto the layout - and from normal viewing distance, I don't think it shows. Ok, it might be different once I increase the lighting, but at the moment it looks the part.

Close up, my painting is a bit suspect, but again from normal viewing distance, I don't think its that bad. (I intend to get an airbrush, so this was hand painted last night.

I need to put the handrails back and straiten the curve. I need to order new number plates and also add the GWR roundel.

As a project, would I do it again? - Yes, no hesitation.

Couple of thoughts though. 

• Sharp knife: Inevitably you are using the knife at the point end, rather than across the whole length. I reckon the knife is now blunt at that end!
  • Choice of decoder: Originally I had hard-wired this decoder in and change this over for one that I had in stock. No idea what the decoder is, but I tried to add a stay alive, which didn't work.
  • New decoder: I am going to get a DCC Concepts Zen decoder with stay alive, just for this loco.
  • Permanent couple of wagon: Operationally, it might be too much to have the loco coupled to a Brake van all the time, although it is making a difference at the moment in getting the loco over dirty track. By having a DCC concepts decoder, I am hoping I can dispense with the extra pick ups. I will then be able to tidy up the wiring.

IMG_3470.jpeg.ee9becac14f7038b6b1fb48801a3ec74.jpeg

IMG_3471.jpeg.259f45d1103aec881522fc5e6c40dbf5.jpeg

Under the work bench light it looks a bit crude in places and shows up where more work is needed. But in fact its not much and thankfully my hand painting doesn't look bad!

IMG_3472.jpeg.9fead2b7812983413e69709cac7d44f0.jpeg

• Like 11

Hi Neal,

I'm not up with the latest DCC Concepts Zen Nano chip / SA combinations but in the first generation, SA were very small capacitance and I found to be of very limited value. Again in that generation, DCCC put the SA control circuitry in the SA shrink wrapped item not on the mother chip. Being disappointed with performance of several of these I've built my own small control circuits (details on DCCC site) and my own larger capacitors. These proved to work very well even on "difficult" locos like Class 48xx Hornby.

On the Class 57xx I used a different approach by using a ZIMO soundchip and the ZIMO control circuitry SACC16. This allowed me to place individual capacitors to a total of 1000uF on the tiny loco. Highly effective outcome over my long insulated frogs with sound. If you want further details I can PM you links to my work.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
addition for clarity
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Neal,

I'm not up with the latest DCC Concepts Zen Nano chip / SA combinations but in the first generation, SA were very small capacitance and I found to be of very limited value. Again in that generation, DCCC put the SA control circuitry in the SA shrink wrapped item not on the mother chip. Being disappointed with performance of several of these I've built my own small control circuits (details on DCCC site) and my own larger capacitors. These proved to work very well even on "difficult" locos like Class 48xx Hornby.

On the Class 57xx I used a different approach by using a ZIMO soundchip and the ZIMO control circuitry SACC16. This allowed me to place individual capacitors to a total of 1000uF on the tiny loco. Highly effective outcome over my long insulated frogs with sound. If you want further details I can PM you links to my work.

Colin

Yes please I would be interested in that, although DCC Concepts are now showing locos running just under 2m with no power, but attached to a stay alive.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Pannier upgrade - Day 2:

At the end of the second day, the loco has been painted with some rail match Brunswick Green and is currently dust free (hopefully) to dry off.

I have also been looking at the chassis, which doesn't run as smoothly as I would like. I have changed the decoder for one with a plug and socket; added a stay alive; adjusted the pick-ups and now hard-wired it to a brake van. The chassis now runs better - I'm not convinced that the stay alive is doing anything. I've wired it into the socket, I wonder of it would be better wired straight into the pick-up connectors.

More progress tomorrow and the finished body.

Hi Neal

I am a bit confused about your stay alive wiring. Only the decoder should be connected to the motor and pick ups. The capacitor should be connected to the decoder using the blue and grey wires. I was advised to insert a lifelink device between decoder and capacitor to protect the decoder from surges from the stayalive.

What decoder are you using?

Regards

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

I am a bit confused about your stay alive wiring. Only the decoder should be connected to the motor and pick ups. The capacitor should be connected to the decoder using the blue and grey wires. I was advised to insert a lifelink device between decoder and capacitor to protect the decoder from surges from the stayalive.

What decoder are you using?

Regards

John

Thanks John,

The complication is that I'm using a 2nd hand decoder that has come out of another engine, probably when changing to DCC sound.

I think DCC Concepts is the route to go, their decoder will have the spare blue/black wire  for the stay alive to connect to. Although I am also interested in the possibility of making my own stay alive. Sometime ago, I also looked at the MERG DIY decoders.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can probably find the manufacturer.....I think Cv 7 gives the mfrs code.

I standardized on Lenz decoders some years ago but after my recent experiment with Zimo I may switch. They are very impressive.

This week I hope to get a Pannier chipped with a Zimo and Youchoos supercap.....I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I haven't been able to get into the railway room much over the last week or so.

This morning however, I tried doing some more static grass. The small sections of which, still manage to look like heavy undergrowth. But the 4mm strands actually stood up - although they look very shiny. I will see how it looks tomorrow and post some photos.

This evening, Rood Ashton Hall 4-6-0 no 4965 is seen bringing a train into Henley on Thames - probably the direct service from PDN. It's the first image I have processed through Affinity Photo as I have just made the switch from Photoshop. Its been processed by taking the Focus Merge option.

855932420_4965RoodAshtonHallr.jpg.703210e2822060dad2e9bbe379fee55b.jpg

Whilst the 'photo is ok, it's not quite what I wanted. Will try again tomorrow!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

i know its doesn't happen often! - I've read the instructions :-)

How to take a 'photo with a camera you both 2 or 3 years ago!

I'm going to give it another go and then put everything through Affinity! 

I also hope to have an update off the static grass situation, although i am inclined to think that the applicator isn't really up to the job :-(

Updates to follow.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rood Ashton Hall is seen at Henley on Thames.... 2nd go at stacking in Affinity photo and it needs more work.

I also struggled to get the iPad to link up with the camera as that would have made the shots a bit easier.

It's a learning curve!

305320564_4965RoodAshtonHall6-11-19cr.jpg.b0bf488efa8ae78a92f26d17ff40dbc2.jpg

photos of the static grass to follow...

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Re: Static grass.

ive got added depth, some grass stands up, but it’s not like.... grass!

The dark patches are the areas of new grass. On the right, towards the back is the longer grass.... stuck down with hairspray. Some of this is standing up. To the left, the smaller dark patch is stuck with PVA, it’s not sticking up!

C8325BC6-6474-42E2-9383-C7ADFECE4B85.jpeg.1546a8369f2c73bb08d9cdef12c55490.jpeg

whether it’s the glue, or the fact I need a better static grass applicator, I’m not sure at the moment. I tend towards the latter.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2019 at 11:41, john dew said:

You can probably find the manufacturer.....I think Cv 7 gives the mfrs code.

I standardized on Lenz decoders some years ago but after my recent experiment with Zimo I may switch. They are very impressive.

This week I hope to get a Pannier chipped with a Zimo and Youchoos supercap.....I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

John

Well it wasnt quite on time but I got two done this week. The second  Hattons 14xx I have described on my thread.....Zimo decoder + lifelink + 3 tantalums........easy to do and unbelievably smooth and reliable performance

For the same price 20GBP you can get a lifelink and a full fat supercap....more capacity but much greater volume.......and  the good news it does fit perfectly inside a pannier....I took out a lenz standard and hardwired another zimo (definitely my decoder of choice now) plus the lifelink and supercap....all fitted in without any fret. The pannier was an ok runnner before but now of course rolls over any dirty or dead track without hesitation....I did the no power test and it ran on about 4”........and the Zimo has provided an even smoother speed curve.

Best wishes

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, john dew said:

Well it wasnt quite on time but I got two done this week. The second  Hattons 14xx I have described on my thread.....Zimo decoder + lifelink + 3 tantalums........easy to do and unbelievably smooth and reliable performance

For the same price 20GBP you can get a lifelink and a full fat supercap....more capacity but much greater volume.......and  the good news it does fit perfectly inside a pannier....I took out a lenz standard and hardwired another zimo (definitely my decoder of choice now) plus the lifelink and supercap....all fitted in without any fret. The pannier was an ok runnner before but now of course rolls over any dirty or dead track without hesitation....I did the no power test and it ran on about 4”........and the Zimo has provided an even smoother speed curve.

Best wishes

John

That sounds great a John thanks for that. I will have to give it a go.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/10/2019 at 08:29, Neal Ball said:

The project: To backdate these three Panniers and repaint into a more authentic livery for my 1930’s period.

EFEF1B5A-D354-4066-9B30-82FB3014911A.jpeg.0eb6ee58387f66dce9950603cca53be9.jpeg

From front to back: 32-200A 8750 Pannier no 6752 this one will be first;

32-215 57xx no 5775

31-635 64xx 6407

unless of course Hornby announce a new 1930’s Pannier with no top feed for 2020, although I think this is unlikely as the 61xx has yet to appear.

I have tried the same thing. In the end I went for super detailed K's 57XX.

I have now abandoned rtr mainline one. The chassis is now under a Hornby 2721 with extended cab.  By cutting the inside of the Hornby 2721 body away, the mainline//Bachmann chassis will fit and shows daylight under he tanks.

Good see progress on Henley. You and Checkrail are giving me the kick to get stop building stock and get on with some scenics on my layout.

If anyone wants the topfeedless mainline body let me know.

Mike Wiltshire

ntp pannier 1.jpg

ntp pannier 2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

I have tried the same thing. In the end I went for super detailed K's 57XX.

I have now abandoned rtr mainline one. The chassis is now under a Hornby 2721 with extended cab.  By cutting the inside of the Hornby 2721 body away, the mainline//Bachmann chassis will fit and shows daylight under he tanks.

Good see progress on Henley. You and Checkrail are giving me the kick to get stop building stock and get on with some scenics on my layout.

If anyone wants the topfeedless mainline body let me know.

Mike Wiltshire

ntp pannier 1.jpg

ntp pannier 2.jpg

Ive also got a K's 57xx somewhere - eBay purchase a few years ago with a fine scale chassis.

good luck with the scenics

• RMweb Premium

Of course, I remain optimistic that Bachmann will announce a fine scale (ie no top-feed) Pannier tank. Which is so far down the line it will be in production in 2020.....

Watch out for the flying pigs :-)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, brian777999 said:

Will you be weathering your locos and rolling stock ?

Yes!

Its one of those jobs that (until now), I've not had the time to do. I have already renumbered some of the locos, with more to do. the next job is weathering.

My 42xx came from TMC and I had a light weathering put on before it was sent to me. I would like to replicate that on all my stock. (Light weathering, but still cared for).

To which end, I have ordered an airbrush and compressor which will arrive next week.

I will start with wagons first before moving up to the locos! 

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Whilst its interesting to see that Rails have announced a Kerosene Castle: https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2863/gas-turbine-18000-class

1397120614_KeroseneCastle.jpg.79727e8a0575a8b6541601d00525e72f.jpg

It doesn't really fit in with my modelling era, so I think I will pass, but thank you Rails.

However - are we getting closer to some new Pannier tank 0-6-0PT? A new 57xx to modern standards, with no top feed?

Interestingly in the recent wishlist poll, the Gas Turbines were voted for by 219 people and managed to get into the top 50.

Strangely though a new 57xx only got 94 votes - however the Metro tank / 517 tank received  179/169 respectively. (Also my favoured tanks)

Hopefully the stats don't prove that a 57xx is a long way off - otherwise I am going to have to start buying up 57xx from eBay, but I don't really want to pay this sort of premiums, only to cut off the top feeds etc.

Here's hoping that a new 57xx is on its way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This would make a great addition to Henley, although I think it would need to be scratch built!

I wonder when Brakspear stopped using the Foden steam lorry for their local deliveries and then sticking a wagon on the back - it must have been a busy week for deliveries - Regatta week perhaps.

This is from a collection of material from the Henley library when I went over there a few years ago.

540492731_BrakspearsteamdrivenDray.jpg.5717d48f94d93abb6be850d131be5504.jpg

A search on line gave me this: 

The Busy Bee, Brakspear’s Foden steam lorry, delivering to the Little Angel at Remenham about 1900.  http://www.brakspear.net

The pub still survives! But I suspect the dray looks a bit different these days!

277208714_LittleAngel.jpg.b4de2092cbff087c0f95a6b2a8d69707.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Rockets said:

Neal,

Next time you are over here on research, the Little Angel still keeps a very nice pint of Brakspears and great food. I was in there a couple of weeks ago, purely research of course!

Dean.

Thanks Dean, I’m hoping to do a research trip sometime in the summer next year, so may well pop in!

• Like 1