Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I think it was @AY Mod that I had to do some surgery on his back.... Were you wearing a hoody or a backpack Andy? Out of the 4 figures from BRM, 2 had items removed from their backs!

They will be standing in such a way that you won't see....

One of the others was @Phil Parker and @Howard Smith - who is the 4th?

It was Andy McVittie, former editor of BRM. Perhaps they were a little tall, but most crew get carved up to fit inside cabs anyway...

H

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Friday 20th March 2020.

A group of 6 of us (on Messenger video; all in lockdown Spain) took part in an on-line quiz this evening, hosted by a drag queen in Lanzarote. When you are in Lockdown its good to keep in touch with friends!

During the day, I've been working on the signals for Henley on Thames again - its a long drawn out process..... I struggled to get the wire into the signal arm as well as the counter-balance. Looking here on RMWeb, I'm obviously not alone. Sadly I then took the decision to glue them all at danger.... which means every train will be a SPAD, apart from the outer home toward Tywford, which is a working Ratio signal.

On the approach to Henley on Thames - on the down line, (2nd from left in the photo below) this ran into Platform 2 & 3 or possibly the yard - protected by a Home and route board. At the same time the Up line (bi directional) had a 3 arm bracket signal (in 1932(?) the left arm was removed , but the post remained - but signalled into Platform 1 or the loco yard. Both these signals existed, but maybe not exactly where I have them.

Starter signals from Platform 1; 2 and 3 are to suit the model and weren't just Home / Bracket signals. In my time period they were slightly different, but I am happy with how they look.

I am disappointed that I had to fix them all, but given the comments going back to 2013 about how difficult they were, I decided life was too short and moved on!

1234625194_Signals20-3-20.jpg.44d9bc9a691366f5edbb5738545d1e60.jpg

They all need to be fixed down to the baseboard, but I'm happy with them at the moment.

Next projects:

1. Finish off the passengers and crew.

2. Then after thatI will probably tackle the water tower. Much as its almost complete, I will re-build it in cardboard and brick paper... just need to work out all those curves! Hopefully that will be finished next week......

We have rain for the next 4 days, after which I want to get on the roof, clean it all down and then put the rubberised paint down to seal the tiles.

Its busy being in lockdown!

Stay safe, have a good weekend everyone, Neal.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

hosted by a drag queen in Lanzarote. When you are in Lockdown its good to keep in touch with friends!

None of my friends are drag queens, so far as I know.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Busy day at Henley on Thames yesterday:

I completed all the painting of the figures that were on the work bench. Although I think they might need some dullcote and probably some MIG(?) wash over them to change the look and feel. I don't have either in stock and see that Amazon will deliver the former; but I'm not sure which weathering wash I need. Suggestions are welcome please!

I repaired the yard loading gauge - by reinforcing it with metal rods which will help! - It did, but the gauge itself promptly came apart as I was standing it up. As well as a metal rod across the top, the other side of the white bar is reinforced with another metal rod. I will fix it again today and hopefully it will be ok. Its as if I need to get some thin wire and tie it round!

466585919_Loadingguage21-3-20.jpg.125666df9217e29448d8896c996a057e.jpg

Thankfully it was up, just before the pick-up goods arrived!

182511157_PIckupgoods21-3-20r.jpg.975938d56c09468669360ef66062d021.jpg

1458055247_Shunting21-3-20.jpg.750b156ecc8d3445b97312878fd6b4d8.jpg

Both these last photos have been adjusted in Afinity.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

In total I had 8 locos on the railway yesterday!

As well as the ones shewn here, there is a Castle in Platform 2 having just brought a train in from London, plus there is a diesel railcar in Platform 3.

This was a set of 6 photos adjusted in Afinity as a stack to pull the focus together, plus adjusted the shadows.

Loco shed 21-3-20 r.jpg

• Like 12

For years I haven’t bothered with washes, instead I use a heavily watered down version of my normal Vallejo paints.

About 15-20% paint to water but of course that can vary to your own mix to suit.

On thing that does help is dampen the model first and when still wet apply the ‘wash mix’ and it will shoot around all areas before your very eyes....

It is also a lot cheaper!!!

It will never replace commercial wash paints  but it is a jolly good next best.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

For years I haven’t bothered with washes, instead I use a heavily watered down version of my normal Vallejo paints.

About 15-20% paint to water but of course that can vary to your own mix to suit.

On thing that does help is dampen the model first and when still wet apply the ‘wash mix’ and it will shoot around all areas before your very eyes....

It is also a lot cheaper!!!

It will never replace commercial wash paints  but it is a jolly good next best.

Thanks Kevin @KNP I'll give that a go.

We are having a day off today, reading and feet up in the Conservatory. This Lockdown is hard work!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just read the "C" advice from @AY Mod all sensible stuff, no need for nonsense on here.

The lockdown here in Spain has been a tonic for modelling - I'm spending so much more time at Henley.... At least until the weather improves towards the end of next week, when I need to get back to the roof and do some more decorating.

In the meantime there are loads of projects to do to bring my vision of Henley in the 1930's. 

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 20/03/2020 at 22:29, Neal Ball said:

Friday 20th March 2020.

A group of 6 of us (on Messenger video; all in lockdown Spain) took part in an on-line quiz this evening, hosted by a drag queen in Lanzarote. When you are in Lockdown its good to keep in touch with friends!

The exciting things you get up to when I'm not there!

Mike.

• Funny 2

On 19/03/2020 at 11:44, Neal Ball said:

Signals are coming along nicely and will soon be on the layout. Something else for me to knock over!

8DDBD0AF-F932-43DE-B547-FEC0D162D3AF.jpeg.a41d1b9882b4f1776a7535e6ad711223.jpeg

and people.... footplate crew; Andy York @AY Mod et al and Robbie and I - all scanned by Alan at Modelu

248D17B8-B669-4765-A24F-D1B5D501AE68.jpeg.ff0a46eb142a9de75f570716d4400c68.jpeg

D3EF8F0A-8ACF-41C6-83D7-BB9A4C6BFF47.jpeg.67ca68e3b0f0ebace7a70f791554aa23.jpeg

The close up here is a bit cruel, but once installed on the layout you won’t notice.

I think that I must have broken every signal fitted over the years then I also discovered that my short sleeved shirts are exactly the right height on the new layout for the sleeves to catch the platform edge lamps and tear them out when walking past, Sod's Law?

The plan now is to fit removable perspex strips to the baseboard edge to stop this and hopefully cure a second problem which is crushing delicate items near the base board edge when you lean across to work on something else, otherwise I will have to train as a snooker referee, they don't seem to have a problem.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Busy day at Henley on Thames yesterday:

I completed all the painting of the figures that were on the work bench. Although I think they might need some dullcote and probably some MIG(?) wash over them to change the look and feel. I don't have either in stock and see that Amazon will deliver the former; but I'm not sure which weathering wash I need. Suggestions are welcome please!

I repaired the yard loading gauge - by reinforcing it with metal rods which will help! - It did, but the gauge itself promptly came apart as I was standing it up. As well as a metal rod across the top, the other side of the white bar is reinforced with another metal rod. I will fix it again today and hopefully it will be ok. Its as if I need to get some thin wire and tie it round!

466585919_Loadingguage21-3-20.jpg.125666df9217e29448d8896c996a057e.jpg

Thankfully it was up, just before the pick-up goods arrived!

182511157_PIckupgoods21-3-20r.jpg.975938d56c09468669360ef66062d021.jpg

1458055247_Shunting21-3-20.jpg.750b156ecc8d3445b97312878fd6b4d8.jpg

Both these last photos have been adjusted in Afinity.

So where did the shunter fall off the Acton Shunters Track?  Maybe about the time 4550's driver opened her up on the mainline?

Or are you like me with a mile long "I'll do it when I get round to it " list where relabeling the shunters truck to Henley is near the bottom of the list??

Mind you by the 1960/2 era that my Maidenhead based "Lower Thames Yard" is set in Henley only got a freight three times a week!

Cheers All,

Take care

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

So where did the shunter fall off the Acton Shunters Track?  Maybe about the time 4550's driver opened her up on the mainline?

Or are you like me with a mile long "I'll do it when I get round to it " list where relabeling the shunters truck to Henley is near the bottom of the list??

Mind you by the 1960/2 era that my Maidenhead based "Lower Thames Yard" is set in Henley only got a freight three times a week!

Cheers All,

Take care

Paul

Its definitely on the "to do" list. Rather than changing it to Henley, it will be Reading.

I looked at the Brake Vans when I was getting them out as well - they need to be fixed.... somewhere I've got a couple of sheets of transfers - need to get busy. But then there is weathering as well... all the stock needs to be weathered.

That "to do" list never gets any shorter!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all - Monday 23rd March - Greetings from Lockdown Spain.

Having done a few domestic jobs, this is todays project in the railway room: The water Tower

On Saturday I drew out the plans and today I'm starting to cut it all out.

1152720968_WaterTowerplans.jpg.30ee29335e6e8575595d1373e6cdcaa1.jpg

This is what it should look like:

1649184950_WaterTower-Henley.jpg.aea7763f50a42864f0b6c9512208c558.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2020 at 06:57, Neal Ball said:

Afternoon all - Monday 23rd March - Greetings from Lockdown Spain.

Having done a few domestic jobs, this is todays project in the railway room: The water Tower

On Saturday I drew out the plans and today I'm starting to cut it all out.

1152720968_WaterTowerplans.jpg.30ee29335e6e8575595d1373e6cdcaa1.jpg

This is what it should look like:

1649184950_WaterTower-Henley.jpg.aea7763f50a42864f0b6c9512208c558.jpg

Hi Neal

What a splendid photograph.

I dont believe I have ever seen that version before.......was it unique to Henley?

Its interesting to compare it with the eponymous Ratio Kit. The tank and associated hardware look identical whereas the brick base, although clearly from the same stable, has been significantly elongated. I  wonder why that was required.

Are you going to scratch build the the tank and piping  or use the components from Ratio?

Keep well

John

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

I dont believe I have ever seen that version before.......was it unique to Henley?

Its interesting to compare it with the eponymous Ratio Kit. The tank and associated hardware look identical whereas the brick base, although clearly from the same stable, has been significantly elongated. I  wonder why that was required.

Are you going to scratch build the the tank and piping  or use the components from Ratio?

Keep well

John

Thanks very much John. The structure dated back to the very early days at Henley and as far as I can ascertain unique to the location.

I've made good progress today, having spent yesterday cutting the card out. Todays it's been a case of brick laying.

With regard to the tank, I had hoped I could use the plastic one I made for my original model, but having placed it on top for the photos, I can see its deficiencies! I intend to build the tank over the next day or so.

This is the progress so far:

256220536_Watertowerpartsb.jpg.252b04d5df307a47bb1b91a1011e0f65.jpg

At the end of the afternoon, a trial fitting in location. Using the original (to be replaced) water tank on the tower. The size is right, but the arc is too high!

628317385_WaterTower1.jpg.d8f6f026ee895e09d7298fed2d3d0cbf.jpg

1673213422_Watertower2.jpg.6770d5597d366176d5140e9f888fa9ef.jpg

I've since made the platform that would have been the coaling stage back in the day. Latterly locos were coaled from a wagon in the engine shed roads.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

Keep well

John

My understanding is that many stations, bridges and so on were built by local labour rather than railway staff. I wonder if the brickwork was the work of a local company with 'hardware' supplied  by Swindon? Just a thought...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

My understanding is that many stations, bridges and so on were built by local labour rather than railway staff. I wonder if the brickwork was the work of a local company with 'hardware' supplied  by Swindon? Just a thought...

Quite possibly. Will have a look in the line history book in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Morning all - sunny greetings from lockdown Spain, where we are on day 12....

Looking at the line history, the line was built by the contractor Mr AW Ritson with work starting on 13th Feb 1855. Originally to Broad gauge, although details of the build are a bit sketchy. I can’t find any further comments about the water tank building, other than it dates from this time. The line opened on 1st June 1857.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

Love the pickup goods pictures. Keep up the modelling! Wish I could find some time in this lock down in the UK, but it's really been busy!

Thanks very much. Our weather is due to get better in the next day or so.... when I will need to get up on the roof before the really hot weather arrives! It might slow progress.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Lovely day here, I didn't go out for a walk rather washed the car instead - by the time I had finished it felt like I had been on a long hike though!!!

On the other hand, one wonders if it was actually cold, wet and windy then might keep some of those idiots indoors that believe congregating outdoors in large groups or within 2m is safe...…..

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Lovely day here, I didn't go out for a walk rather washed the car instead - by the time I had finished it felt like I had been on a long hike though!!!

On the other hand, one wonders if it was actually cold, wet and windy then might keep some of those idiots indoors that believe congregating outdoors in large groups or within 2m is safe...…..

Indeed, I bet if the weather would turn that would make a big difference.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile on the lockdown workbench, I have made the tank, which is now drying before sanding down and having a coat of paint tomorrow.

I have also made the shed at the back of the water tower. Plus I took out the platform where the tower will sit and am treating it for the moment as a separate module. I will then blend it back into the scenery. At the same time, I also need to build the hut that housed the pump for the tower. This wasn't mains operated until I think the 1950's, prior to which it would be steam driven by connecting a loco in front.

It was getting a bit chilly in the railway room late this afternoon, so I missed the pick-up goods, but I did manage to get the local train before departing to Twyford.

402593199_640725-3-20r.jpg.e7f88172adbb38c4c512e488155f648b.jpg

Before the weather gets better, I want to try a run through of the proposed timetable; although in fairness I also like being able to run whatever I fancy. Today when I have been at the bench, I've had 2 x railcars; the Earl 4-4-0 on the local passenger; Hall 4-6-0 on a through Paddington service as well as the Pannier running. I also did a bit of shunting as I wanted to get the van train out of Platform 1 before I started to lean over and work on the Water tower module!

• Like 12
  • Agree 1