Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Richard Mawer said:

Neal

I have highlighted all the joints I see which might be worth checking/ redoing. Its hard to see from a photo, but some look less than 100% coverage and some are dull, which could be an issue. Worth a go.

Check that the break in bottom left corner is fully broken - I assume its meant to be.

Rich

Thanks for this Rich.

I had gone back to the PCB and identified 2 of the joints you have marked that looked as if they need a fresh iron.

Will try again.

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all.

Frustrating hour or so going through the board and resoldering almost all the joints. Sadly it hasn’t cured the issue. I’m putting it all aside for the time being and will come back to it later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Neal.

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Might be worth asking the question on the MERG forum, I assume that you're a member.

Yes I am, but I’ve not found the forum! I commented when I joined Merg that I thought the website was difficult to navigate. I’ve joined a private club, to which it’s not obvious how to get around!

Meanwhile my father has looked at the circuit diagram and suggested different places to do resistance checks.

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I've now taken the diode D2 out of the circuit to run a test on. My father has looked at the Circuit diagram and thinks there might be a problem there. Done a resistance test out of circuit - the iron is now cold - sent photos over of the test "oh thats ok, put to back in and try a volt test again!

Diode_test.jpg.f29886ca0bcdc33241c3cb3ceee4516f.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It was one of those days. I had messaged Dad 1st thing(ish) - Have you noticed how much later you are getting up now you are on lockdown? lol As I didn't get a reply, I carried on to instal some footplate crew onto my locos...... 

In doing so, the first one I wanted to do was Rood Ashton Hall, but first I wanted to sort out the wiring from the speaker (in the tender) to the decoder. Hattons had installed an Olivias decoder in for me, but its resulted in an ugly wire going from the tender to the loco. Plus, I thought a weight had been removed as the tender appeared a bit light. (In comparing it to my other Bachmann Halls, its about the same weight.)

I then had another one of my Halls out and running, where I have previously added extra pick-ups on the tender and run a 4 pin connector through. i wanted to do the same for RAH, so there had both on the bench!

One thing led to another and still the crew are not installed yet!

But Ive now got a record of all the locos and identified where possible what the decoders are. (I need to get a decoder doctor to identify the rest. I was just replying on whether I had left instructions in the box.).

What was apparent was the number of locos that have not run since we have moved to Spain.... Which resulted in some more locos being run... There were already 9 in the depot area. So some came off; others came on etc. etc.

One loco that has not run for a while is my Hornby 72xx weathered by TMC:

353086483_72332-8-2Tr.jpg.abb9d9728c13fcf0fc819cd9632a0e1b.jpg

Seen above with one of my 4 Hall class locos on a PDN service.

I seem to favour the same small group of locos, which I need to change to give a bit more variety... 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2020 at 19:10, Siberian Snooper said:

Might be worth asking the question on the MERG forum, I assume that you're a member.

I have found the topic in the MERG forum - there were already 26 comments on there, hopefully my issue is straight forward.

Thanks for the suggestions guys

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Richard Mawer said:

I seem to favour the same small group of locos, which I need to change to give a bit more variety... 

You need to write a timetable/schedule so they all get a look in!

In all this downtime, I was going to try a timetable. Although I’ve drawn one up, I don’t know I would use it. But having said that, I’m determined to give it a go.

At the moment I’m trying to catch up on all the jobs that need doing. The turntable area being important to get it operating correctly, then I will be onto the station. I’m probably going to rebuild everything I’ve done already!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

In all this downtime, I was going to try a timetable. Although I’ve drawn one up, I don’t know I would use it. But having said that, I’m determined to give it a go.

I actually started with a timetable.  Although my location is fictitious, (Fictitious! No! It is just hidden in the crack in the centre of the map book.), the timetable is real, taken from the Working Timetable of the Cambrian Railways 1894.  It actually opened up my eyes to what went on and it means that I will run a much more varied set of stock than I originally thought I would.

Now, I know you are much further on than I was and you already know a lot about Henley and its services but it might be worth getting hold of a timetable for the right period and see how it works out, using it as a sequence.  It may throw up information that you had not thought about.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I actually started with a timetable.  Although my location is fictitious, (Fictitious! No! It is just hidden in the crack in the centre of the map book.), the timetable is real, taken from the Working Timetable of the Cambrian Railways 1894.  It actually opened up my eyes to what went on and it means that I will run a much more varied set of stock than I originally thought I would.

Now, I know you are much further on than I was and you already know a lot about Henley and its services but it might be worth getting hold of a timetable for the right period and see how it works out, using it as a sequence.  It may throw up information that you had not thought about.

Thanks Chris,

I started with a normal timetable, then added in sections from a Regatta poster I have from 1954 and pulled the two together.

Normally at Regatta time, the goods yard would be emptied and no goods trains ran for the duration. I'm going to do both, otherwise there isn't the variety to warrant all the stock I have.

I've got a speeded up clock on the hand controller, but could do with one for the wall. But initially I will try just with a sequence.... I'll see how I get on.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm about to place an order with Fox Transfers for some "essential" bits!

But am surprised that they don't have depot names for the GWR Toad brake vans and shunter trucks.

Any suggestions where I can get them from?

Thanks, Neal.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Jules said:

I don't know if there are any available 'ready to use', but if you need some made, Railtec Transfers are an excellent source, they made my ones for Mayshill.

Thanks Jules, they have stock of ready made and I will get some Henley on Thames made up as well.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I'm about to place an order with Fox Transfers for some "essential" bits!

But am surprised that they don't have depot names for the GWR Toad brake vans and shunter trucks.

Any suggestions where I can get them from?

Thanks, Neal.

Cambridge Custom Transfer make quite a selection, but regrettably (and annoyingly for you) John has ceased the posting out of products due to his quite understandable personal situation currently.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Cambridge Custom Transfer make quite a selection, but regrettably (and annoyingly for you) John has ceased the posting out of products due to his quite understandable personal situation currently.

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I have ordered from Railtec

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Unless I'm mistaken, which is not unlikely, John only does BR style not GWR.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments about transfers.

I’ve placed an order with fox transfers for more shirtbutton logos, as well as new loco plates. I can feel a major repaint session coming on as I change all loco liveries over to the correct era.

With their range as it is, I was surprised that Fox don’t have depot names for Toads.

Having been recommended by @Jules to look at Railtec, I found the Toad branding straight away, which will give me more vans marked as Reading. They also have a great ”branding” service!

Rule 1 applies.... I’ve asked them to make up 2 sets of Henley on Thames branding.

Hopefully everything will arrive towards the end of next week / week after and I can set up a painting production line. That will also see my spray gun being used for the first time....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1