Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Greetings from lockdown Spain, where the state of alarm has been extended to 26th April. Although it's reported that we have a state of emergency, apparently that is tougher than a state of alarm!

Yesterdays lunchtime project saw the first stage of fitting pick-ups into Rood Ashton Hall. This is my sound fitted Hall and its just needs an extra bit of electrics over some of the points - my autofrogs are not always enough.

Unfortunately, the DCC Concepts springs which I would usually use are too small for the thick axles on this Hall. I've therefore resorted to a strip of PCB and Phospher Bronze. I've not used this before, but thankfully had it in stock. As ever, the trick is to get the 4 pin connector from the tender to the loco.

The 4 pin connector will therefore have the extra pick up feeds and the speaker wires going to the decoder which will stay on the loco. It would have been better to move the decoder into the tender but being a small 3500 Gallon, there isn't the space. (The coal load is the weight on this one.)

In the background is my other Bachmann Hall where I have already added extra pickups.

Once I've done this, I will add a fall plate and crewe.

IMG_4599.jpeg.e6f02b4c5a5d3e7b9b14945c526e3f5b.jpeg

IMG_4600.jpeg.db10a61256ad070090f54d4f27125796.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Having put the Hall to one side, I came upstairs and sat on the terrace for the rest of the afternoon.

I ended up watching Tim Dunn on his TR live, riding from Abergnolwyn to Twywyn What on a bench! It was great fun.

In common with all the preserved railways at the moment the TR is fundraising to keep going, if you could spare £20 you can donate by Text here: 

Text DAYROVER to 70085 to donate £20. Texts cost £20 plus one standard rate message

edit: I've not been able to get this to work :-( Maybe because I am texting from Spain.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Greetings again from lockdown Spain.

My Saturday afternoon project has been a bit delayed; I've had a day off then a day painting the roof, now its back to Rood Ashton Hall today (Thursday).

To say it was fiddly / awkward / pain in the ass, would be putting it mildly.

There is now a 4 pin connector from the tender to the loco; the middle pins are the extra pick ups, giving power to the loco; the outer pins are for the speaker. I have kept the decoder in the loco.

The connector comes out from the tender; with sufficient give to enable it to move from left to right for my curves. It then goes into the loco, just ahead of the cast metal and is fixed to the PCB for the input, with the speaker wires disappearing off to connect with the output from the decoder.

In doing so, I broke the black wire from the pickups to the PCB; then found that the 4 pin connector hadn't been wired properly (at the pins - nothing to do with my ham-fisted nature!). The meter was out in force to find out what the issue was.

Eventually it was all fixed and the loco was tested and working again.

What I thought would be a quick hour's work turned into all afternoon. At the end of the day, Rood Ashton Hall was back on the track....

857612098_4965RoodAshtonHall9-4-20r.jpg.07cec9c7ed0cf20e8b21e138e83d373f.jpg

The tender now has a real coal load (although when I used superglue on the coal, it left a white vapour mark on the tender). That has also now gone!

I need to add the crew, but want to put a new fall plate on first.

The job for another day is to add a lamp on the loco. I want to put a B code lamp, but couldn't see easily how to get it fixed, plus to get the cable run. I will have a look and get working lamps on the loco soon!

Next Hall 4-6-0 instalment soon!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You have my sympathies Neal, I understand that the Madridiots are playing thoughtless b*stards as usual and are trying to get to their second homes for the Easter weekend.

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

If true, I don’t understand how they get away with travelling so far without being stopped. Clearly the local police think it’s an issue as they have increased the roadblocks.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Really like the support girder/trusses there.  You have got the ‘classic’ GWR curved bottom bar: are they scratch built, modified parts or what?  (I’d like to emulate something that shows off the GWR style but I don’t know if my scratch building is up to it.)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Really like the support girder/trusses there.  You have got the ‘classic’ GWR curved bottom bar: are they scratch built, modified parts or what?  (I’d like to emulate something that shows off the GWR style but I don’t know if my scratch building is up to it.)

Paul.

Thanks Paul, it’s completely scratch built out of plasticard, sheets for the roof and plastruct rod / bar for the iron work. 

If I can do it anyone can!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Tuesday update:

The first four supports are done, I would have done more, but I held them all together with the bulldog types clips.... but I only have 4!

Today I will do some repairs and make another 2 posts.

image.jpg.6c03313a4c31e488a0f1f7a5cec43ef7.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Well its all change at Henley on Thames!

Having done more work on the last canopy supports, It then needed to be supported by the main station overall roof. In looking at the roof in particular, Ive decided its not going to cut the mustard.

It's all been scrapped and I have started cutting out the materials for the new improved Henley on Thames station.

It all looks a bit bare at the moment!

1448373094_Henleystation14-4-20r.jpg.1531cc6698a927121eb9e55161669612.jpg

The two remaining buildings at the front are the station newsagent and a Cafe made from a grounded Iron Mink. Both are being retained.

I have fixed the wonky newsagents building as well. It was leaning on a support for the platform! - Its now upright. (Thurs 16th April)

Edited by Neal Ball
edit: Wonky newsagent
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Yesterdays (Wed 15th April) update! Todays update is currently drying and not photogenic!

All the walls had been cut and placed insitu last night:

683363079_Henleystation15-4-20a.jpg.1986eede7b4435134d312847b60c44c5.jpg

The refuge had to be checked as I knew it would be tight! (It was).

Back in the day, the refuge would be used to house the branch train overnight, which I can do, but there isn't enough room to run round another train. Stabling the branch train will be the last movement of the day.

1997537574_Henleystation15-4-20b.jpg.18923dc49551b531b7d74e90c1546f48.jpg

With all the building work going on, it didn't stop Meg waving off her relations from the station!

Even the stationmaster had to park his car elsewhere while the builders are in.

748354240_Henleystation15-4-20c.jpg.63279fdde5cf0d8831445fa3059ac082.jpg

The brickwork should be dried in the morning and I can show further progress!

With the station buildings in place, I will be able to fix the platform canopy in position.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, greetings from lockdown Spain, where the weather is due to be rubbish again today, that’s an excuse for more work on Henley. 

The station building is coming along nicely, I’m very pleased with progress so far.

98B64A7E-0C48-4730-BA17-BD7FAFE6A940.jpeg.715e0a4780e139499438a28425e3cee6.jpeg

The refuge siding was the original turntable road, which was at the front of the station. This was enclosed in 1904 and the booking office added at the front.

573B80BB-1D5A-4692-BE5B-65C19DB206D5.jpeg.dfd6deae28ee00863027a5f0a3e942d6.jpeg

The image below is a before image! I had previously scratch built all the office space out of plastic, including making up the windows myself. Sadly though the brick work will not match the rest of the building and it would be too tricky to put brick paper on top of the plastic, cutting round the windows etc.

All this will be replaced.

B1FEF9DF-1E8E-4988-9D55-8A67E9E9F319.jpeg.fca802a3d5ac795ea92dbf226a393329.jpeg

I left the railway room last night half way through cutting out the new walls for this area.

I’m trying to reuse as much of the plastic as I can. All of the booking office will be original and last night was ready to be fixed into place. I just need to add signage and poster boards etc.

Although it’s a lot of work, the result will be much better and obviously means the platform canopy can be installed.

More to follow.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

In other news from Henley..... our postroom took in two parcels yesterday... one from Railtec, the other from Fox transfers..... I’m still waiting for the order placed on 29th October from Modelmaster....

Both Railtec and Fox, took @10 days to arrive, which isn’t bad considering what’s going on. (Post usually takes a week).

Once the station building is complete, these deliveries will enable me to start the renumbering / re-livery project.

Im very impressed with the Railtec transfers... I know have sets of Henley transfers to brand my Toads and shunters trucks (rule 1 applies).  Thanks Steve @railtec-models great service and a great product. Obviously photos to follow!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Monday morning update. Greetings from Spain, where it’s sunny at last.

First fix on the signal box name plate - too big and too maroon. (I thought I’d selected black)

00F6AA6D-0E3C-4E4B-9BF0-B5C18F29E436.jpeg.44d2d89f277735590b68a92a8218dfc0.jpeg

Station update: it’s coming along nicely, I’m very pleased with the progress:

2B7830EE-0A92-47AC-99F4-E333B6F2F484.jpeg.045887cce50c850a67b1a2c960c40eed.jpeg

8A35CD00-E178-4A66-83B7-38A40A47EB0A.jpeg.539272e2cdc8a3215945cab9ac99f931.jpeg

The booking hall is all original. Having made a reasonable job of the roof, I didn’t see the point in changing it. Likewise the booking office canopy will stay, but I will move the sign to this end.

I’m going to try to cover the front wall in brick paper to keep the look uniform.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks @vulcanbomber & @KNP I had a look at the website and also saw the station running in boards. I've not been very happy with mine for a while as the posts are a bit wonky!

I'm likely to be ordering both!

This afternoon was spent trying to get the windows to fit into the walls, now that the brick paper has been fitted - fiddly to say the least!.

On a more positive front, the booking office is looking pretty good.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

It's been a busy few days at Henley on Thames, although I did take advantage of the decent weather this morning and was painting the house roof at 8am!

I have also managed my first go at changing the depot names on a Toad and a shunters truck to Henley on Thames. A quick email this morning to Steve @railtec-models to make sure I was on the right track - I was!

Just before lunch I put on a coat of Vallejo matt varnish and this evening this is the result. Having not used the transfers before, I have only done one side at the moment. In the meantime, all my Toad brake vans have been painted ready for the transfers. Great product and Great service from Steve.

875806917_Brakevans22-4-20.jpg.4c21d96638f12e8f2a94c3bfa6a90ddb.jpg

They then need weathering and new transfers on the rest of the fleet.

In the meantime, work continues on the new station building.... photos are likely tomorrow!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, greetings from lockdown Spain.

The building work at Henley on Thames continues apace, yesterday was spent gluing everything in place and ballasting the resultant missing bits.

In the photos below, the main walls have been glued in place, including the wooden partition / columns between the veranda and Platform 1. The area I have been calling the refuge, apparently was known locally as the veranda. Back in the day it was part of the run-round, which extended beyond the station buildings to a turntable. This was moved in 1904, but today you can still walk (social distancing!) and see a garden that has been made to resemble the turntable area. The station layout was changed in 1904 and the turntable moved to its later position.

The walls closest to the goods yard are only placed there at the moment for the photos. They are next to be glued in.

I have used Trackside signs for the various posters; notice boards etc. apart from the Whiteways Cyder poster which was downloaded from the web. In one of the photos I have from the 30's there was a Whiteways Cyder poster on this board.

At the same time as all this work, I have finished off the area at the back of the engine shed and planted this with static grass and some small shrubs. Paving is ready to be laid next to this and there is a plinth to locate the van body for the Cafe. I next need to paint the shop and fit it out, before planting it into place. I also completed various ballasting around the station area.

Please ignore / forgive the wonky wall which is noticeable in this shot. Mount card bends when it is strengthened by gluing two together - its a lot better than it was. Once its all finished you wont notice.

The building facing the goods yard entrance will be (right to left); Gents with 3 opaque windows (sanded the glazing down - 1 window faces the end dock, the remaining 2 the goods yard entrance); next 2 are for the store(?)* unlit, so these windows are blacked out; next 2 windows waiting room; next 3; Ladies waiting room; Door & 2 windows are for the Parcels office; followed by the stationmasters office. Some of these rooms will be lit and I am hoping to have a cameo scene in the Station masters office.

*In all the plans and photos I have, there is no information about this room. I therefore assume its a store. There is a Porters cabin behind the bookstall. I intend to replace the bookstall, for the moment I am using a Peco one to fill the space.

1405903679_Henleystation23-4-20aR.jpg.23b56365ae7f56db122fa39984fa3658.jpg

69393917_Henleystation23-4-20bR.jpg.c9b4900618dbe53676fcb61dae95a9f7.jpg

More to follow. Stay safe out there.

Regards, Neal.

Edited by Neal Ball
edit for typos
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I've now heard from Scale model scenery, they have stopped doing the signal box nameplates during Covid19, hoping to restart making these in about May. I will then order a nameplate and platform running in boards.

Apparently they are overrun with orders at the moments which for a small business must be very good at this time.

As its St Georges Day today, we declared it to be a bank holiday and spent the day on the terrace reading! - A day off :-)

More updates in the next day or so.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Todays update - greetings from lockdown Spain - week 6. Tomorrow is the start of our 7th week in complete lockdown.

I have fixed in place the outer walls of the offices this afternoon and hope the wonky wall hasn't dried at that angle! I hope its just the camera angle. At the same time, I have painted the booking hall canopy and hope to fix that into place tomorrow.

1091633586_Henleystation24-4-20r.jpg.bb534601e11f96b8d576841813ba34b7.jpg

The next job will be the roof for the offices.... when I did the original building in plastic, I didn't find this very easy to get the angles. Any suggestions overnight will be appreciated.

802205901_stationforecourt1960s-roof.jpg.5a2c947795551656b188d8f5baa814c1.jpg

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

First draw the plan of the roof to scale. Then draw a horizontal line and a vertical line at one end,  mark the height of the roof on the vertical line.  Using a pair of compasses, set them to the distance required on the roof plan, take this distance and step it off from the junction of the horizontal and vertical lines in the horizontal direction, the distance from there to the apex of the roof marked on the vertical line is the the true length.

I hope my explanation is good enough, any problems and I will try and find a way to do some sketches.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

First draw the plan of the roof to scale. Then draw a horizontal line and a vertical line at one end,  mark the height of the roof on the vertical line.  Using a pair of compasses, set them to the distance required on the roof plan, take this distance and step it off from the junction of the horizontal and vertical lines in the horizontal direction, the distance from there to the apex of the roof marked on the vertical line is the the true length.

I hope my explanation is good enough, any problems and I will try and find a way to do some sketches.

Thanks very much, I will draw it out tomorrow and see how I get on. 

Much appreciated.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1