Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Polly @southern42. Daunting I would say more than anything!

But to see the results, its all been worth while.

The problem has always been that I started the station quite a few years ago and it has faithly been touted round every house move until now. It was a case of do or die! Thankfully a lot of the work hasn't been for nothing.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I could tell you it's early closing on a Wednesday, but someone is bound to tell me it was a Thursday.

"Windy, isn't it?"

"No, it's Thursday."

"So am I. Let's have a cup of tea."

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 29/04/2020 at 16:18, southern42 said:

......  It must be devastating, at times, to see something that you have already put a lot of energy into and now needs a lot of work and so much more time spent it, but then you will probably achieve a higher standard of finish due to experience, knowledge and other things modellers seem to develop.

________

Best wishes

Polly

Afternoon all - I thought of you this afternoon Polly! As I filled my bin up and cleared the work bench:

This was the bin earlier:

485025177_Henley-Bin.jpg.cbf5c68c8963091181f943f4b27e4df8.jpg

Necessary clearing out of the items that are not going to make it beyond here.

I wanted to clear space to start work on the roof, initially to see if it could be salvaged, which I think it can.... the first part was to remove the gable end:

66464229_Henley-Gableendscrap.jpg.c69851995b2ea7ba57e300a09566b307.jpg

I have now left the roof to dry as it all welds together, with a new gable end. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

This was the station roof when I left the railway room this evening, showing the new Gable in place. Its now been glued in and with the weight of the roof is settling into position.

1893421219_Henleystation30-4-20r.jpg.00eaf4da152b6085107e630cc171b957.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Today has been an "odd job" day!

I have made a new roof for the verandha (Refuge siding) and this is currently being glued down. Whilst doing all of that, I have cut out the roof tiles and trial fitted onto the main roof. To say it changes the look is a bit of an understatement.

1016091725_Henleystation1-5-20r.jpg.937c969fc94f26a72b79d4569b45af54.jpg

At the same time I have also laid the cobbles at the front of the station.

Tomorrow we can at last get out for a run, so there might not be much work done at Henley!

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Today has been an "odd job" day!

I have made a new roof for the verandha (Refuge siding) and this is currently being glued down. Whilst doing all of that, I have cut out the roof tiles and trial fitted onto the main roof. To say it changes the look is a bit of an understatement.

1016091725_Henleystation1-5-20r.jpg.937c969fc94f26a72b79d4569b45af54.jpg

At the same time I have also laid the cobbles at the front of the station.

Tomorrow we can at last get out for a run, so there might not be much work done at Henley!

Sorry to mention this but are the tiles the right way round as the weathering would normally start at the top and work down!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, KNP said:

Sorry to mention this but are the tiles the right way round as the weathering would normally start at the top and work down!

Thanks Kevin - I hope so!

When I print these out, I spend ages turning them round, but have to to the opinion that they can go either way round.

Could it be that it now looks like one roof? When in reality it's 2 roofs? I will look again when I go to the railway room tomorrow.

edit: Yes you could be right.... the area before the glazing looks as if its going up!

Have a good evening, Neal.

Edited by Neal Ball
edit: guilt as charged!
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to @KNP and @BWsTrains I’ve found the roof tiles are indeed the wrong way round.

Ive spent today returning the roof supports and recutting the tiles to get them the right way round.

Day off tomorrow as it’s Sunday. More progress on Monday.

• Friendly/supportive 6

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks to @KNP and @BWsTrains I’ve found the roof tiles are indeed the wrong way round.

Ive spent today returning the roof supports and recutting the tiles to get them the right way round.

Day off tomorrow as it’s Sunday. More progress on Monday.

In really bad weather maybe the rain goes sideways and blows up and over the roof.

It wouldn't happen in Henley though.

You'd have to be modelling somewhere near Manchester.

Best wishes

Cam

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening - greetings from lockdown Spain. 

Everything started so well this afternoon!

I've been painting - not my favourite pastime, but it needed doing, so far I have done the station roof window frames as well as those on the gable end. Plus I have painted the complete underside of the roof.

The next job, I thought I would do a quick 5 minute job! - rebrand the 64xx Pannier tank into Shirtbutton from GWR; puts its new number plates on and maybe add the crew.

The post-war GWR came off very easily with a little paint thinners and gentle persuasion, I then put to one side to dry off etc.

Hand me the superglue for the number plates and crew.....

Long story short - the lid of the superglue broke off, thankfully not over me! but I now have crew in 3 more locos and coal loads in another 15 locos, including the 64xx. (which still doesn't have crew or its numberplate). It was all a frantic rush to get locos out of boxes, examine the coal space and get their load sorted out before the glue went off!

Not exactly a disaster, but not the day I had planned! Tomorrow will be a day of tidying up and getting the new shirt button logo onto the 64xx - at last!

14727870_Henleylocos5-5-20r.jpg.44b5f7a8afb15ed19218bac9cc439737.jpg

It looks quite calm at this end of the layout - you should see the work bench!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Chaos ensues this morning. This is the scene that greeted me this morning... oddly the superglue is still liquid!

C8654B3A-1D6F-4FF5-8684-02C6537583DC.jpeg.8154900cee848fa412fd7a54336e2ffe.jpeg

E0AA524D-E5CF-423D-AB86-97CEAFAB159D.jpeg.14df76c015d29bda8408871d295ada9b.jpeg

now let’s see what has actually stuck!

• Friendly/supportive 4

22 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Chaos ensues this morning. This is the scene that greeted me this morning... oddly the superglue is still liquid!

now let’s see what has actually stuck!

Neal,

Cyano acrylate monomer (CA) polymerises needing water as a catalyst. In bulk in a dry climate it can sit around for ages. Like yours, our location can be very dry, I usually provide a catalyst by breathing on the applied glue in situ to hurry it up! In a thin film it then sets quickly.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You're a braver man than me Neal!, I use varnish for name and number plates, gives a bit of adjustment time.

Mike.

I used to use PVA for coal in the tender and also plastic weld for number plates. But over the years, so much coal fell off (even more so as I use real coal now) and number plates also came adrift.

Here in Spain superglue is so cheap and easy to come by, it just makes it easier.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Neal,

Cyano acrylate monomer (CA) polymerises needing water as a catalyst. In bulk in a dry climate it can sit around for ages. Like yours, our location can be very dry, I usually provide a catalyst by breathing on the applied glue in situ to hurry it up! In a thin film it then sets quickly.

Colin

That would explain why it takes ages to go off then! I have terrible trouble sticking the crew in place. They wobble around for ages!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nick Gough said:

Nice work on the buildings and train shed.

I'm pleased to see that you found the Henley photos recently posted on the GWS Facebook page.

Thanks very much Nick.

The photo on Platform 2 of the side wall, I hadn't seen before. I also saw the recent photos about railcar 17 at Southall, which again I had not seen before.

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 3