Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Maybe Superglue is not the way to go.

6406 is currently drying in the railway room. 2 x roundel logos are now on and I'm pleased with how they look.

1 x numberplate has a bit of skin attached - needs gently picking off.

1 x numberplate - after the incident above, would not take at all. It's now fixing with some Humbrol cement!

I will then varnish everything before it goes back on the railway.

This morning also saw the overall roof receive another coat of paint on the underside.

I then retired from the railway room with a thick head after too much paint fumes and am currently sat outside in the sunshine.

• Friendly/supportive 10

7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks very much Nick.

The photo on Platform 2 of the side wall, I hadn't seen before. I also saw the recent photos about railcar 17 at Southall, which again I had not seen before.

Thanks again, Neal.

Henley on Thames is one of the few ex-GWR stations that I have never visited or travelled through but, having read the Wild Swan book of the branch, you have definitely captured the look of the original.

On the other hand I have taken dozens of photos of Henley IN ARDEN station over the years. I don't think any of those will help you though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Henley on Thames is one of the few ex-GWR stations that I have never visited or travelled through but, having read the Wild Swan book of the branch, you have definitely captured the look of the original.

On the other hand I have taken dozens of photos of Henley IN ARDEN station over the years. I don't think any of those will help you though.

Thanks for that @Nick Gough. I’ve only ever been through Henley in Arden.

Glad I’ve captured the feel of H-O-T.

Thanks very much, Neal.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Thanks Mike. After getting the glue onto my finger (broken cap on bottle) I might give superglue a break for a while!

• Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Mike. After getting the glue onto my finger (broken cap on bottle) I might give superglue a break for a while!

Isn't that what it's for? :D

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

2 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Isn't that what it's for? :D

Originally for field hospital repair work in Vietnam I believe?

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Originally for field hospital repair work in Vietnam I believe?

Mike.

Agreed, to try and stop fatal blood loss before the doctor could attend.

But, (and I should have selectively edited), I was referring to the break,

after all, that is what superglue is for!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Henley on Thames is one of the few ex-GWR stations that I have never visited or travelled through.

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thank goodness for that.

Yes.

It could have been terminal!

Edited by Nick Gough
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks also for the comments on Superglue - update - it is still liquid in the bottle, despite the cap being "iffy!"

Thankfully the fumes have died down as well. Although I have just been painting, so thats bound to change the air!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Its been one of those odds and sods day today!

More painting on the inside of the overall roof - all the roof beams / cross supports have been painted.

The smoke troughs and stacks have also been painted - and then I found the 3rd one - not painted!

I have then made the roof light for the Gents.... it needs a few extra window supports added, but the one thing that is noticeable straight away. Just how much you can see inside.... I know no-one will see, but I am now inclined to fit out inside.... Its going to be lit after all.

We then collected a parcel from Hattons (Sorry Gaugemaster, I was going to order from you, but you didn't have a shipping to Spain option at the moment!) - I needed more autofrogs and lights.

When i put the platform canopy out a few weeks ago, I decided that the first lamp standard on both platforms was too far from the station overall roof / canopy.

I therefore have 6 x autofrogs and 3 x Oil taper lamps - 2 of which are now in and 1 x auto frog has been done as well.

Earlier today I fixed the number plate for 6406 and it now looks quite the part with its shirt button roundel.

Dear old Peggy is so intent about greeting an arriving passenger that she hasn't noticed 6406 is on its running in turn. If Peggy had turned round, she would have thought it looks quite smart with its new logo.

2025663949_64060-6-0PTr.jpg.364c554c4a46c870d509951a3e0d2b76.jpg

Also if she had noticed, she would be pleased with the new lamp - I wonder who she is greeting, that she hasn't noticed all these things! 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

This shows the extent of the works today: 

2 x new lamps and the sky light for the Gents.

I have also fashioned temporary pliers for the platform canopy. Not only doe sit help to identify the space, it will also enable me to put the proper pillars underneath and support it all while it is drying. As there is no glazing in yet, I'm tempted to spray it - which will be my first attempt.

582786057_Henleystation7-5-20br.jpg.e8897975bfff2921a133cb770b58e4a9.jpg

The new lights are in and working.

1452036328_Stationlights7-5-20r.jpg.a17feee83c8bc23002f7035ee951098f.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Very atmospheric, makes me start considering if I should be adding lighting on Brent.  I do like the sound of seeing a lit up sleeper service passing through the station at night.

As the station moves on, there will be lights under the canopy and the overall roof. 

Plus of course in that shot, the signal box lights are not yet wired up. Once I put the frame inside the box, I will sort the light out as well.

Then there is the issue of working signals with their lights....

The list goes on... as I also have led in stock to light carriages as well.

Edited by Neal Ball
edit: Typo corrected
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Tgen there is the issue of working signals with their lights....

I cheated and went for the Dapol ones, which at least come ready powered with lights even if there are some pretty major accuracy issues.  
It’s the ground signals that will be really fun, given there are a lot of them and they need a lot more work to get lit up and working (so for now I just have non working place holders...)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I cheated and went for the Dapol ones, which at least come ready powered with lights even if there are some pretty major accuracy issues.  
It’s the ground signals that will be really fun, given there are a lot of them and they need a lot more work to get lit up and working (so for now I just have non working place holders...)

I'm also going to go with the Dapol ones. I have a few static ones at the moment, but they will gradually be replaced.

Once everywhere is open again, I need to contact Dapol. The only working one I have is by Mill Rd bridge (scenic break) and whilst it works, the LED has stopped working. I changed over to 12v working ages ago, when the advice changed.

Shunting signals will have to be static - I don't fancy messing about with servos for something that will be so fiddly.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

This shows the extent of the works today: 

2 x new lamps and the sky light for the Gents.

I have also fashioned temporary pliers for the platform canopy. Not only doe sit help to identify the space, it will also enable me to put the proper pillars underneath and support it all while it is drying. As there is no glazing in yet, I'm tempted to spray it - which will be my first attempt.

582786057_Henleystation7-5-20br.jpg.e8897975bfff2921a133cb770b58e4a9.jpg

The new lights are in and working.

1452036328_Stationlights7-5-20r.jpg.a17feee83c8bc23002f7035ee951098f.jpg

What I want to know Neal, is who let Banksy's grandad loose on the overall Roof?

Watch out, cos he won't be satisfied with an A and a 1, he will want to go the whole hog and paint the lot!!

On a serious note, great atmosphere in the night scenes.

Cheers

Paul

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

What I want to know Neal, is who let Banksy's grandad loose on the overall Roof?

Watch out, cos he won't be satisfied with an A and a 1, he will want to go the whole hog and paint the lot!!

On a serious note, great atmosphere in the night scenes.

Cheers

Paul

I need to the numbers to get the roof tiles to fit correctly!

Thanks for the comments.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another productive day on the railway, see's the end gable looking almost complete.

Whilst bits were drying, I also added the Scalelink valance onto the platform canopy. I have emailed them as I have now run out!

Henley_station_9-5-20_r.jpg.9722f727078fc2b93070f4241de18278.jpg

It's certainly starting to look the part. Although in the photos, it looks as if the roof is bowed, which must be the curve of the lens.

The smoke cowels are not fixed in place yet, they are held up with Blue tac! Plus of course, none of the fences / gates are fixed in place!

Looking again at the platforms, I realise I need more benches. The 3 I have already are from Cooper craft. Any suggestions on what might be suitable alternatives? I'm working on the basis that the Metcalfe ones will be a bit too "heavy handed". Thanks.

For the first time in ages, this photo was taken on the DSLR.

As its Sunday tomorrow, it's a day off! The next update will be Monday.

Have a good weekend, stay safe. Neal.

• Like 10