Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

The 3 I have already are from Cooper craft.

They're the best I reckon. I just picked up another pack from Hatton's secondhand page - sorry!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 10:21, Neal Ball said:

Looking again at the platforms, I realise I need more benches. The 3 I have already are from Cooper craft. Any suggestions on what might be suitable alternatives? I'm working on the basis that the Metcalfe ones will be a bit too "heavy handed". Thanks.

Hi Neal

Having run out of Coopercraft I have used some quite nice white metal castings from, I think, Dart Castings. They are in the style used in GWR waiting rooms rather than on platforms and dont have the distinctive wrought iron metal casting at the ends. They work under Granby’s overall roof  ......possibly they may work for you?

I fo like the way you have renovated the station and its roof. Somehow it always seems more difficult to do a refurb than start from scratch...you have done a grand job

Best wishes

john

On 09/05/2020 at 10:21, Neal Ball said:

Have a good weekend, stay safe. Neal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, john dew said:

Hi Neal

Having run out of Coopercraft I have used some quite nice white metal castings from, I think, Dart Castings. They are in the style used in GWR waiting rooms rather than on platforms and dont have the distinctive wrought iron metal casting at the ends. They work under Granby’s overall roof  ......possibly they may work for you?

I fo like the way you have renovated the station and its roof. Somehow it always seems more difficult to do a refurb than start from scratch...you have done a grand job

Best wishes

john

Thanks John,

I’ll have a look at Dart, I found last night that P and D Marsh also do plain benches, was going to look at them as well.

Have a good week, stay safe. Neal.

• Like 2

Peco, Severn models and Metcalfe all do versions of the GWR roundel cast end style seats. The Edwardian monogram ones are done by Scalelink (Smiths components).

Hope tat helps.

Oops, Peco might only be 7mm scale

Edited by Darwinian
Wrong scale
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Darwinian said:

Peco, Severn models and Metcalfe all do versions of the GWR roundel cast end style seats. The Edwardian monogram ones are done by Scalelink (Smiths components).

Hope tat helps.

Oops, Peco might only be 7mm scale

Thanks very much. I am going to order some Scalelink valentine, so will get seats from there.

As per the comments from @john dew I have also looked at Dart Castings and like the look of their seats for under the overall roof. I just need to check the space that I have.

Thanks both for the suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Southwark Models do GW etched brass seats, but you will have to ring Dave at Roxey Mouldings to order them as none of the range is listed on the website.

01392 245439

Thanks for that, sounds great. 

I've spent today sat out on the terrace, changing all our 2020 holidays into next year!

It was easier getting through to British Airways; than the Caravan and Motorhome club, but at least its all done.

We have been promising ourselves a trip to Nashville and New Orleans for ages; originally we were due to be over there now; but we moved it to September and it's now moved to March next year. Let's hope we don't need to move it again. 

C&MC was a ferry trip back to the UK for the Bluebell Railway 60th trip, which we will do next year when the new dates are announced.

In other news: The postman has caught up with our post; 2 months worth of Model Rail have arrived; the prize (Goathland church) from the recent raffle draw and an order from Langley Models, which includes the K3 telephone box to go next to Henley station entrance.

Work at Henley will continue tomorrow - where to start first! I've no idea where the church is going to go.... it certainly is a lovely model. (Crying out to be lit).

To be continued....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Southwark Models do GW etched brass seats, but you will have to ring Dave at Roxey Mouldings to order them as none of the range is listed on the website.

01392 245439

Thanks again....

The seats are listed, as are some lovely looking GWR Barrows:

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/874/sbm4115-gwr-platform-seat-kit-shirt-button-end-2-/

146422045_GWRseats.jpg.421b336ce3451f340651a55a38595370.jpg

They also have the GWR curly logo seats:

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/873/sbm4114-gwr-platform-seat-kit-entwined-gwr-2-/

I wonder how many I need..... Clearly it's a need, not a want. :-)

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/868/sbm4113-gwr-goods-hand-barrow-kit-2-/

641280255_GWRBarrow.jpg.9e8c8b7b53daff94496a63275ab019f7.jpg

Thanks again for the suggestion @Siberian Snooper

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks for that, sounds great. 

I've spent today sat out on the terrace, changing all our 2020 holidays into next year!

It was easier getting through to British Airways; than the Caravan and Motorhome club, but at least its all done.

We have been promising ourselves a trip to Nashville and New Orleans for ages; originally we were due to be over there now; but we moved it to September and it's now moved to March next year. Let's hope we don't need to move it again. 

C&MC was a ferry trip back to the UK for the Bluebell Railway 60th trip, which we will do next year when the new dates are announced.

In other news: The postman has caught up with our post; 2 months worth of Model Rail have arrived; the prize (Goathland church) from the recent raffle draw and an order from Langley Models, which includes the K3 telephone box to go next to Henley station entrance.

Work at Henley will continue tomorrow - where to start first! I've no idea where the church is going to go.... it certainly is a lovely model. (Crying out to be lit).

To be continued....

I have been planning my trip to the states for next year, so far New York to New Orleans to Chicago to Flagstaff, for the Grand Canyon and on to LA. not sure about getting back to Chicago and New York. It will mostly or totally by train.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have been planning my trip to the states for next year, so far New York to New Orleans to Chicago to Flagstaff, for the Grand Canyon and on to LA. not sure about getting back to Chicago and New York. It will mostly or totally by train.

That sounds good. At one point we wanted to do an overnight train through to LA, but it became too complicated to do from here.

We are sticking with the music.

If you do it, have a great trip.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

That sounds good. At one point we wanted to do an overnight train through to LA, but it became too complicated to do from here.

We are sticking with the music.

If you do it, have a great trip.

Thanks.

A couple of years ago I did NY, Chicago, S.Francisco, Seattle, Chicago and back to NY. It was a great trip, the only downside is the catering gets a bit repetative after the 4th day, it's the same menu on all trains, great if you like burgers and steak.

Have a great time, yourself.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks very much. I am going to order some Scalelink valentine, so will get seats from there.

As per the comments from @john dew I have also looked at Dart Castings and like the look of their seats for under the overall roof. I just need to check the space that I have.

Thanks both for the suggestions.

Unless it's February the 14th, I assume you mean valencing, bloody auto correct!!

Mike.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Unless it's February the 14th, I assume you mean valencing, bloody auto correct!!

Mike.

Yes indeed! 
It’s  worse on the iPad, but my laptop also has autocorrect. Drives me mad!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, sunny greetings from lockdown Spain.

The church from TMC is a lovely model. I thought maybe it could go in a corner..... I’ve not worked on this bit since we moved. It’s on the to do list! 

Current plans.... included the Pendon pub:

80DE20CA-FD3A-4043-A980-217F3294DBE4.jpeg.8b8c0aee9b545d23e16f31272e011613.jpeg

Or maybe the church could go here:

6FAEF478-BDF7-4029-85C3-A8F6238AFAF0.jpeg.060cbb3a34f4e9a7f9e3297b202b8d1a.jpeg

It’s quite big for the site - in the real Henley, there is just open fields running down to the Thames at this point.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday saw the arrival of the K3 telephone box from a Langley models. This is due to sit here, once it is painted and assembled.

There was always a box here until about the 1960’s. At one time there was also a post box. 
BB739D28-356D-4E9F-93BD-31C26E71BF06.jpeg.eefbdd144ae9807af70640f98c3c6c17.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Do you have too many jobs on the go? Or is it just me?

6406, now has its new number; loco crew; real coal; roundel logo and its had a coat of varnish.

I've got away without repainting it, which I'm pleased about. 

Its now back in its box - waiting for a running session.

1901097851_Loco6406r.jpg.e161b4d01c04c3542727f81e8f660d48.jpg

Rule 1 applies with the roundel :-)

I now need to sort out all the toad brake vans and get them back to where they should be....

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Whilst waiting for glue to dry, I had my first go with my spray gun.

I bought it about 6+months ago and to date, had taken it out of the box, but nothing else.

A spray booth was set up - in the garden, it was lovely and warm out there and I started spraying.

It took a while to master how it works / get the paint flowing, but after topping up the paint twice, I was pretty pleased with the result. 

I have missed a few bits, but for a first attempt, I am very pleased.

This is the underside of the platform canopy.

13818460_Platformcanopy13-5-20r.jpg.d6b7c0acef9f5820e3b95fd764826ac7.jpg

It doesn't look like it, but its painted GWR Dark Stone - it looks darker. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone taken the Hornby shutters truck apart?

It would be easier to get new depot transfers on if I could remove the box from the top. It all appears to be glued together.

DDE6316E-63C4-43F2-B7E2-0E2712EA9AAC.jpeg.a78639f831aa3e48e9a28de3d65f9ff7.jpeg

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

1. Yes.

2. I just removed the centre screw (as you have) and it came off.

I think I might have had to pull a bit, but not excessively.  It’s a fairly new model.

Time to be brave?

Who supplied your custom depot transfers/stickers? That’s why I tried taking it apart to see!

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

1. Yes.

2. I just removed the centre screw (as you have) and it came off.

I think I might have had to pull a bit, but not excessively.  It’s a fairly new model.

Time to be brave?

Who supplied your custom depot transfers/stickers? That’s why I tried taking it apart to see!

Paul.

Thanks Paul - I think mine is glued - its doesn't want to move!

The transfers came from @railtec-models - excellent transfers.

Thanks anyway.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Try holding the buffer beams one in each hand a carefully twisting, has worked for me in the past, no guarantee attached or implied!!

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I ended up allocating it to Reading and squeezed it on without too much bother.

Thanks anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 2