Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Back to normality, after all the abortive TT work...

Rood Ashton Hall sits in Platform 1, whilst Friday Night arrives in Platform 2....(Knight of the Bath)

4DDAB5BA-EE14-4BE4-88E2-D344FF25B9E1.jpeg.1ac2824ca872aee272f737a83919f803.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

After the debate on Little Muddle about end GW logos, I either need to weather mine down, so they appear faded, or paint them out....

Prairie tank 5513 arrives on an afternoon pick-up goods. 

1920359236_Henley2-6-20pickupgoodsr.jpg.1009a57eced93b02e049475f01860776.jpg

The loco has since gone into the paint shops to have new GWR roundels applied and new etched number plates. (Still 5513)

Edited by Neal Ball
edit: Picture too dark!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Self indulgence!

I've had a couple of self indulgence days. Whilst the paint brush has been put "doing things" I have in the main just been "playing trains" - for two days!

I must admit it was quite fun, just to run trains, with no aim, just to enjoy the railway.... although there was one minor miss-hap, more of which later.

The afternoon pick-up goods has arrived into Platform 1 and the loco is about to run round its train.

1581641484_Henley2-6-20pickupgoods2r.jpg.ff39ee1dbfe34923e6742b832db7300c.jpg

At this point in the proceedings, I had an email to say that a new carriage had arrived at the post room. It should have been two, but for some reason, only one has arrived.

383959057_Henley2-6-20cr.jpg.921722ecc0f4f83fbcef7a37d12870dd.jpg

The Hornby clerestory carriage has been included in the branch train formation.

It all made for a busy Monday afternoon:

10647689_Henley2-6-20c2r.jpg.26af5b257339019039a7fd01940f1a36.jpg

The Platform canopy has had one coat of GWR light stone, it needs a second coat..... I have an impending issue here though.... I bought 2 x Railmatch posts of one light and one dark stone, at Gaugemaster last September. (We were due in the UK next week).

I am running out and no-one will ship to Spain. I can get basic colours here from either Amazon.es or a model shop in Madrid, but not the Railmatch range..... 

Any suggestions would be welcome! (We won't be in the UK now until 2021, our trips fro April; June; August and September have all been cancelled.)

579732866_Henley2-6-20dr.jpg.48a1e825246a5061393fdb89dc668717.jpg

The station is certainly busy - it shows just how many white roofs I need to change! 

Ideally the clerestory will become a project, to upgrade things like the door grabs etc. But there is already a long queue of project carriages! 

Edited by Neal Ball
edit: typo
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The mistake!

In getting trains out, just to have a bit of fun really. 

Whenever I am track cleaning, I use a diesel to go round with the Dapol track cleaner, usually they merrily potter about the layout and after a couple of laps, I will run them on the opposite track, then bring them (carefully*) into the station etc.

Bearing in mind a lot of the continuous run is hidden behind the main layout of Henley. (The bit you see.)

There I am yesterday afternoon minding my own business.... I brought the Star class loco 4014 Knight of the Bath into the fiddle yard and had it off the track on the  rolling road - my thought is that it is underpowered for a larger loco - more weight might help. (It was hauling a 5 carriage train and at points was slipping)

All of a sudden, I realised the sound of the diesel and the track cleaner, were a lot louder.... they had come in wrong road running and were now in the station area surrounded by pure GWR steam - they must have time travelled :-)

1942121251_Henley2-6-20D1067r.jpg.61f7d04b3103ccd9d6568dd81bd015f8.jpg

This is one of two Westerns I own. This is the Heljan one D1067 Western Druid. Both Westerns display their numbers in the head code window as per my train spotting days at Paddington. 

I don't usually photograph my BR blue running days and share on here as its outside the "GWR in the 1930's" , I just thought it was funny - sneaking into the GWR scene in that manner!

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Tuesday - Playing trains Pt 2

The branch train today is in the hands of a Hattons 48xx 0-4-2T and two autotrailers.

The closest to the camera is an old Airfix model which i repainted ages ago. The further one is a lovely Bachmann model (although, strictly its too late for Henley) - it needs re-painting - it was a present ans=d currently sports crimson and cream - so only ever gets shown in BW.

It may well be the first carriage to get the hairspray treatment. At which point it will also get lights and passengers.

925732369_Henley3-6-20autocoachesr.jpg.5d13e16aad7ab6a95191cb376b8a1190.jpg

This dock area will see the cattle dock built - once I finish the station!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Guilty pleasure(s)

The GWR saddle tank locos from Kernow are exquisite little locos - with just 5 wagons in tow, it merrily ran round the layout - not fast, just at a pootling pace as befits a dock shunter. (It managed to find all the dirty track in the station area!)

This is the first of todays guilty pleasure:

1913737346_Henley3-6-20bR.jpg.4ddacf43741f31176a34a66b19c9d401.jpg

The first and fourth wagons are kits: POW sides and I think a Cooper-Craft wagon. 2nd and 3rd are a limited edition from the Model Zone toy shops.

This area has not yet had the static grass applicator on it. The train has just come under the Mill Road bridge and this whole are is again on the extensive "to do" list!

Some of these photos I think look better in black and white....

1741411542_Henley3-6-20bR2.jpg.49cc19b093cb696ed3317a3223d097f3.jpg

Or even after a bit more adjustment in Affinity:

1202091020_Henley3-6-20bR2adj.jpg.37894c442f7a59e78bbd128864d8c644.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My second guilty pleasure is the lovely little Pecket 0-4-0ST from Hornby. Seen as the Huntley and Palmers loco complete with wagons (2 x model zone and 1 x Hornby)

In my train spotting days at Reading, if I got the train from Hayes & Harlington, I'm pretty sure it was the former Huntley and Palmers factory that had been demolished by the 1970's and there was a Warship and I think a Hymek stored on the tracks below the main-line.

509538146_Henley3-6-20cR.jpg.0c23e9979493ac0717fc96edd1d28fe4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

While it probably wont be a direct match, I am sure someone posted some Vallejo matches for Light / Dark Stone somewhere on the forum.  Possibly in a nod to Brent.  Might be a good alternative if you cant find an alternative source for Railmatch?

I do like the photos of 1342, additional splashers aside it makes for such a nice looking little loco.  One day I will end up building a chassis for mine (a pre production Kernow paint sample), as it has no motor or gearbox.  But does look rather nice posed in the station.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It wasn't all plain sailing though :-(

A while ago I went through all my locos and set aside all those that are going to Hattons for a PX.

I wanted to persevere with the 4-4-0 County, which I quite like.... as a basic engine - although its a little outside my time frame of (ideally) 1936, I think they were scrapped by about 1932.

It wont work. The 8 pin plug for the decoder looked a bit dodgy, but changing for another decoder did not make any difference..... I then changed it back to DC and it still didn't go.

The only way I could get it to run was to set it at max 12v DC and with my screwdriver spin the cog from the motor.

I've oiled it up; had it running for 1/2hr. But the moment you switch off the power it will not start again.

I have even tried turning the cog by hand without the power and it successfully moves along. But wont run without that prod when power is applied.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Neal. 

County on the (DC) rolling road:

108166783_Henley3-6-20County.jpg.3ce3300ba7264bba6a56d73ed0e03b03.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

While it probably wont be a direct match, I am sure someone posted some Vallejo matches for Light / Dark Stone somewhere on the forum.  Possibly in a nod to Brent.  Might be a good alternative if you cant find an alternative source for Railmatch?

I do like the photos of 1342, additional splashers aside it makes for such a nice looking little loco.  One day I will end up building a chassis for mine (a pre production Kernow paint sample), as it has no motor or gearbox.  But does look rather nice posed in the station.

Thanks Rich.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Does this help Neal ?

GWR Light and Dark Stone Vallejo paint mix

Dark stone

20 drops Tan 71079

4 drops.   Mahogany 71036

1 drop      White 71001

1 drop.     Red 71269

Light Stone

50 - 50 mix

Tan   71079

Beige. 71074

G

Edited by bgman
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, bgman said:

Does this help Neal ?

GWR Light and Dark Stone Vallejo paint mix

Dark stone

20 drops Tan 71079

4 drops.   Mahogany 71036

1 drop      White 71001

1 drop.     Red 71269

Light Stone

50 - 50 mix

Tan   71079

Beige. 71074

G

Excellent thanks very much @bgman

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Excellent thanks very much

You're welcome Neal, you may want to "tweak" the Dark Stone to suit but its a fairly good match.

Grahame

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

All of a sudden, I realised the sound of the diesel and the track cleaner, were a lot louder.... they had come in wrong road running and were now in the station area surrounded by pure GWR steam - they must have time travelled :-)

1942121251_Henley2-6-20D1067r.jpg.61f7d04b3103ccd9d6568dd81bd015f8.jpg

This is one of two Westerns I own. This is the Heljan one D1067 Western Druid. Both Westerns display their numbers in the head code window as per my train spotting days at Paddington. 

I don't usually photograph my BR blue running days and share on here as its outside the "GWR in the 1930's" , I just thought it was funny - sneaking into the GWR scene in that manner!

Best keep a close eye on that diesel or next thing you know it will have demolished most of the station, closed the signal box and reduced the branch to single track!

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Best keep a close eye on that diesel or next thing you know it will have demolished most of the station, closed the signal box and reduced the branch to single track!

Demolishing everything and having a single godless plastic bus shelter would solve the GWR paint supply issue, but at the price of depression and boredom brought on by running a prototypical one per hour rattler service :blink:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Demolishing everything and having a single godless plastic bus shelter would solve the GWR paint supply issue, but at the price of depression and boredom brought on by running a prototypical one per hour rattler service :blink:

Thankfully that is not going to happen! 

Normal service will resume at Henley!

• Like 5

The problem with your County sounds to me like one related to the motor starting circuit. I don't pretend to know a great deal about the electronic side, but a motor that is a lazy starter can be tested by applying power straight to the brushes / solid state pickups. If the motor starts instantly you need to look elsewhere. If the motor is sluggish it can be down to worn or sticking brushes, worn bearings, burned / scored commutator or a partial breakdown of the windings.

Often with motors designed to start on minimal current there will be a shunt circuit of one or more capacitors which allow a soft start. If these break down the motor needs a bump start every time it is used, because the capacitor gets hot and fails.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The problem with your County sounds to me like one related to the motor starting circuit. I don't pretend to know a great deal about the electronic side, but a motor that is a lazy starter can be tested by applying power straight to the brushes / solid state pickups. If the motor starts instantly you need to look elsewhere. If the motor is sluggish it can be down to worn or sticking brushes, worn bearings, burned / scored commutator or a partial breakdown of the windings.

Often with motors designed to start on minimal current there will be a shunt circuit of one or more capacitors which allow a soft start. If these break down the motor needs a bump start every time it is used, because the capacitor gets hot and fails.

Thanks for that.... I will try applying power straight to the motor, see if that works.

Failing that I guess it’s a new motor, or a static loco.... or the scrap bin!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I have stripped the motor off the loco chassis this morning and applied power direct to the terminals.

The motor started - but again only after a prod.

It looks like I need a new motor and unfortunately Peters spares are out of stock at the moment (X6442). It’s back on the shelf and I will try stock levels in a month or so.

• Friendly/supportive 6

If the motor won't start by itself in a no-load condition then it's pretty much F.U.B.A.R. I don't suppose for a moment that it can be dismantled and checked.

I wasn't aware that anyone had produced a locomotive drive County class 4-4-0. What make is it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If the motor won't start by itself in a no-load condition then it's pretty much F.U.B.A.R. I don't suppose for a moment that it can be dismantled and checked.

I wasn't aware that anyone had produced a locomotive drive County class 4-4-0. What make is it?

If the motor can be taken out of the chassis I'd a) see whether it runs on its own and b) see whether the chassis rolls freely.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It’s a Hornby railroad - they replaced the pancake type motor in the tender a few years ago.

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

If the motor can be taken out of the chassis I'd a) see whether it runs on its own and b) see whether the chassis rolls freely.

With no power and no load, I can turn the motor by hand and roll the chassis.

Thanks anyway guys.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

With no power and no load, I can turn the motor by hand and roll the chassis.

Is that with the motor physically removed from the chassis Neal?