Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 11:49, Neal Ball said:

With 3 x DCC sound locos running yesterday, it was very tempting to get out a couple of the sound Castles class locos, but by that stage time was getting on and I decided against.

I now have sound locos fitted with the following sound files:

2 x Castle and 1 x King class locos: Howes sound; esu decoders.

1 x Hall loco: Olivias sound - fitted by Hattons, not sure what the base decoder is. (Its not been added into the Sprog3 roster yet)

1 x Castle with Hornby TTS sound.

2 x 61xx Zimo decoder and Youchoos sound.

On the diesel front (not 1930's GWR, so they rarely get a mention here!)

Class 52 Western locos: 1 x Howes sound; 1 x Youchoos sound

Class 50: Hornby TTS sound

Class 43 HST set: Hornby TTS sound

I decided against having sound in the smaller locos, but with the 64xx running around yesterday, it would be very tempting to add it.... although how I would squeeze it in I don't know!

I am trying to hold off buying a class 121 DMU... but it would be easy to justify adding sound to one of the GWR streamlined railcars... although I have 3, plus there is the Heljan one due out in a few months(?) it could prove very expensive!

The Dapol 43xx on order will be sound fitted by Dapol. I think the delivery of these have slipped back to October or so..... Fine by me, it does look like a nice loco.

Hi Neal,

I agree that running several sound fitted steamers together is very good.

Glad to see someone else not afraid to own up to non steam era running!

By careful choice and placement of railway infrastructure and scenic items outside the railway I aim to run three eras:- 1960/2 1990/2 and 2014/6.

I would have gone for 2018/20, or even 2020/2, to have 30 year intervals, but the overhead infrastructure post 2015 is too difficult to cope with! I do have to claim rule 1 as there will be sidings in my layout that were in reality removed in the 70s, but at least Maidenhead Goods Shed can be in place, when running the 1990/2 era. I just have to make it removable so it is gone for the 2014/16 running!

Re your Class 52s, which model are they. I have a Dapol 52 and a Heljan one. When the latter is chipped I'll try to video a comparison between the two!

I had better get back on thread before someone moans about outside era content!!,

Keep up the good work on Henley

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

I agree that running several sound fitted steamers together is very good.

Glad to see someone else not afraid to own up to non steam era running!

By careful choice and placement of railway infrastructure and scenic items outside the railway I aim to run three eras:- 1960/2 1990/2 and 2014/6.

I would have gone for 2018/20, or even 2020/2, to have 30 year intervals, but the overhead infrastructure post 2015 is too difficult to cope with! I do have to claim rule 1 as there will be sidings in my layout that were in reality removed in the 70s, but at least Maidenhead Goods Shed can be in place, when running the 1990/2 era. I just have to make it removable so it is gone for the 2014/16 running!

Re your Class 52s, which model are they. I have a Dapol 52 and a Heljan one. When the latter is chipped I'll try to video a comparison between the two!

I had better get back on thread before someone moans about outside era content!!,

Keep up the good work on Henley

Cheers

Paul

Morning Paul, as you say its good to run several sound fitted models together, although it also gets very loud at times!

Good luck with getting all the different infrastructure sorted out, clearly it would be a nightmare if you had to add / remove OLE as well!

My class 52's are also Heljan and Dapol - the Heljan is Howes sound and the Dapol You Choos.

I seem to recall that someone has already commented (on a different thread), that it's as if Howes have fallen behind in the sound file stakes.... the You Choos files, have so much more on offer with their sound and operational interest.

Good luck with Maidenhead.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I continued adding the locos into the Sprog3 roster and sorting out any minor issues. 

This included adjusting the relevant speed curves, just to see how the different locos are going to perform etc.

There's more work to do yet.

But there is an issue with the Sprog which I need to look at the users forum. Every time I open the program up, it's showing an error message.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

......there is an issue with the Sprog which I need to look at the users forum. Every time I open the program up, it's showing an error message.

All sorted - shall we just say "Read the help pages!"

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

6132 makes a fine sight as it sits at Platform 2.... my Modelu order was despatched yesterday, so should arrive the early part of next week, I can then have a couple of days of sorting crew out for all the locos.

1660212940_61xx6132r.jpg.3adcc3d49cf0974fd1ec5dad28caca40.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

Lovely looking layout - certainly a lot more interest in your depiction than its current real life guise! 

Thanks for that. Yes, the modern railway at Henley is a shadow of its former self - I believe its called progress :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Its been one of those frustrating days!

Castle class 4-6-0 No 4082 Windsor Castle & TTS decoder:

When I was checking some locos a couple of days ago and adding them to the DecoderPro / Sprog3 setup, it was apparent this loco still runs in reverse.... There is a setting in DecoderPro to change it easily and I made a note to check it was correct when back on the track. Maybe I didn't save the setting, or maybe it just didn't want to know.

Either way, it didn't work, so I set to and tried to change CV29 - That didn't work either.

When I first picked the loco up today, it had set itself to loco no 21 instead of 4082.

I have made a note of the default values of CV29 and it should have been easy to add 1, but maybe this is part of the limitations of the TTS decoder......

All was not lost, as I managed to increase the background and running volume and also 2 of the 3 whistle volumes. 

TTS Steam sound:

This is my only TTS steam decoder and the sound is very tinny. In stereo terms, it seems to have too much treble. I don't know if this is the limitation of the decoder or the speaker - Or a case of you pay for what you get! Any suggestions would be welcome.

The other thing I discovered is that my other Castle that runs backwards, is also originally a Tintagel Castle (now renumbered), the same as this Castle which was originally Tintagel. 

Clearly I need to reverse the pick-up wires into the decoder plug, but I should also be able to do it through CV29 - Ho hum!

The wish list:

I then started to make up a list of the other locos that now need sound.... its a long list! (I don't have as many sound locos as I would like.) Which means it would be a very expensive project - I need to get some referral fees from house sales in Spain!

Clearly TBC

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Speaker!  I swapped my TTS fitted speaker for a decent one and the sound improved dramatically, and base was very satisfying.

Thanks for this, do you remember what speaker you used?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Castle and Hall ready to depart Henley on Thames:

63B60941-9946-422D-A3B7-EB9F9596825E.jpeg.ea328ddefcbb782b1bf18339f7fc31a8.jpeg

Windsor Castle 4082 in Platform 1 and Rood Ashton Hall 4965 in Platform 2.

It was raining too hard to be cutting wood outside, so an afternoon was spent on the railway.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

At one point this afternoon, we had 4 sound fitted locos running, with 6406 in charge of the Dapol track cleaner, together with GWR / AEC railcar running round.

However, I then ran into my next issue with my 61xx - it seized for no apparent reason. A bit of fiddling with the wheels freed it up for a bit, only for it to happen again. Has anyone else had this?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

It could be the motion sticking, or perhaps a problem with the wheel quartering? Other possibilities are overtightened baseplate or incorrect meshing of the gears. I know that the old Airfix 61xx had a number of chassis issues (basically it dismantled itself just for a cheap laugh) although the Hornby one is doubtless more advanced, I would take a look at the motion first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks for this, do you remember what speaker you used?

It was from Youchoos, a Zimo 1W/8ohm 26x20x8mm but that may not be available any longer. They list a 15x11x11 currently (ZSLUMP).

Should easily fit somewhere in the tender as mine went into the smaller Hall.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
correction
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

Loving the pictures and the sounds from the new locos. Real shame that they are giving so may problems, you don't expect that of modern locos, they should just work these days!!

Thanks very much Scott, yes it’s a shame there are so many issues. The 61xx are lovely locos and once all the issues are resolved will be a great addition to the fleet.

I can’t help but wonder what changes Hornby might make with any rerun locos next year.....

I’m hoping for one in GWR roundel.... hopefully a bit heavier; Better pony wheels (springing) and maybe closed doors..... after a while you don’t notice the half open doors, but they would be better, open completely, or closed! 

It goes without saying as well, a loco that’s easier to fit sound and crew.... but that is probably too much to ask!

Thanks again for the comments.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I've had a few days off! 

Feet up, doing not a lot, but yesterday I started reading the George Dent books on airspraying and weathering.... and then started reading the 2nd part of a GWR history book of the 1930's. I've read it before (several times), but it's always a good read. (3 part series by Peter Semmens).

Then last night I settled down for an evening of old TV programmes on railways; starting with a 10 minute programme on the Western MRS in Acton (I was a member back in the day when they still owned Haverfordwest*); this was followed by a programme on Charing Cross and loads of 4SUB at a time when the railway was struggling with efficiency; then Electra and finally a programme set around the Travelling TPO from Norwich to Dover, at a time when the service was about to be stopped.

*Haverfordwest was a large double track main line as an oval, set on two levels. It was a lovely layout, although the electrics were always a nightmare, usually 5 minutes before the exhibition opened. Apparently it was sold to a former member of the WMRS, I've got no idea who. I don't think he was at the club at the same time as me. I probably left around 1980 or so. I'm pretty sure I have 'photos of the layout somewhere...

Today! I've had a nice afternoon at Henley on Thames..... and have got to the bottom of the 61xx seizing up....

The bolt holding the motion on the leading driver had come loose and was fouling the motion bracket. This is the second bolt that has come loose the last one was on one of the rear drivers.

1581915633_6109loosebolt.jpg.06e9f1afe4fda28078f9498a09e6b05e.jpg

It has since been merrily running round the layout.

Before leaving the railway room, I checked the bolt and it was still tight. Hopefully, having tightened it with my tweezers it will now stay tight.

I haven't gone as far as adding superglue onto the base of the bolt. Hopefully it will be alright without.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I have had 5 of the sound fitted locos running; starting with the 61xx and Castle class 4-6-0 4082 Windsor Castle.

1812200306_61xxandWindsorCastleR.jpg.93a874d0515d57223b1766e7c3ddc394.jpg

Later in the afternoon, the 61xx is seen bringing its train into Henley, with another 61xx ready to take over the train. The Pannier tank was on track cleaning duties.

756714978_61xxandPanniertankR.jpg.1a266f0724de1ae0ea3cb467b628056e.jpg

Caerphilly Castle hasn't been out for a while, so now was the time for her to make an appearance. Powered by an ESU decoder and Howes sound:

1860931738_CaerphillyCastleR.jpg.1704f656c028b0af6755a181271e6d73.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Hall class loco no 4965 Rood Ashton Hall was on freight duties:

1196681178_4965freightR.jpg.a4c1f630f8fc92649631602debe505c6.jpg

It is seen having just passed Mill lane bridge, the area has recently changed a lot after all my new static grass. 

There is still more to do of course! I still haven't finished the pub area.

1076107278_4965freightbR.jpg.025e99b6deceb6e202f4fa7a2a514455.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
edit: additional photo added
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1