Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2020 at 23:09, Neal Ball said:

Today was a railway day.

Firstly, my passengers arrived x200 seated people...

This one pack:

65E5B576-D176-4E41-AD40-ED2D69EA278E.jpeg.d21a98833284268488b6db05ae2240b3.jpeg

This is Big Bob is closeup 

30F2BEE7-A29F-4C00-BE33-E7BDD870AAE1.jpeg.58de427d2bcca4ecd4b53efca402b09c.jpeg

Instead of sending OO / HO As described, they have sent giants!

Thanks eBay.

It seems though that everyone in the UK has run out of Prieser HObseated passengers. Hopefully they haven’t all got COVID-19 

eBay update!

I didn't get anywhere with the retailer in China.... other than an offer of a £3 refund.

But eBay offer a resolution service and no sooner had I emailed eBay with the details, than the seller gave me a full refund.

Plus at the same time, they have changed the description to clearly show they are 1:50 scale.

Anyone want 200 oversize OO people?

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Here, finally, are a couple of photos of original documents:-

2143855062_OOC-Henleylocoworking-turn44.jpg.f7bffcd2de4e7790555c56860ee9cee0.jpg

Here is the sheet for Old Oak Common Turn 44 which alternated with Worcester Turn 10, bringing a Worcester engine to Henley on alternate evenings. Due to its small distribution this is a duplicated sheet, the sheets just pinned together!

2032596609_HenleyCarriageworkings1.jpg.fb99474b27ed553042b67de3e6c869a1.jpg

Here is the working diagrams for the Henley coaching sets. Excuse the pencil marks, which I am guilty of!

This being a document needing a wider distribution than the above engine diagram is a properly printed book!

An interesting glimpse of the organisation behind 50s/60s railway operation. Mind you this had not changed since the beginning of the century, and carried on for many more years!

Best regards

Paul  

Wow! thanks Paul,

Operationally I dont know how they kept tabs on where everything was.

Particularly as a carriage could be detached from tran x for onward conveyance to location Y and might not end up at the start for several days. Out and back working being rare for detached carriages.

Thanks again, fascinating insight.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Operationally I dont know how they kept tabs on where everything was.

Particularly as a carriage could be detached from tran x for onward conveyance to location Y and might not end up at the start for several days. Out and back working being rare for detached carriages.

I think it was partly due to the number of people involved!

Each train had 3 members of staff, each station, unless an unstaffed halt would have 2/3. Then there were a lot of staff in signal boxes. That's without counting the PW staff in each section and a large number of Inspectors of everything!!

Happy days?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

I think it was partly due to the number of people involved!

Each train had 3 members of staff, each station, unless an unstaffed halt would have 2/3. Then there were a lot of staff in signal boxes. That's without counting the PW staff in each section and a large number of Inspectors of everything!!

Happy days?

Cheers

Paul

Different times indeed.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Today has been spent doing a few odd jobs:

• The Pannier tank has had some weathering added; logos added (I decided against 1920's Great Western as I couldn't find the transfers); in GWR 1930's shirtbutton and all the handrails have been refitted. For the time being this loco will be numberless - as I have only just ordered the plates from Fox!
  • Some of the recent Modelu figures had a bit more paint added.
  • The new running in boards have been painted with dark stone.

Hopefully everything will be photographed tomorrow and added onto here.

I then need to crack on with the rewiring project for the Oxford Dean goods 0-6-0 as the new decoder has been sat on the side for a while.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Today’s workbench:

Finally a few projects are coming together:

• 57xx I’ve now found the transfers (too late).
  • running in boards, ready to be installed.
  • New pub signs, for the Vidler arms and the Ship. Both signs are from scale model scenery.

1DD4E33F-AD40-409E-B2DB-2CEC9D6705F8.jpeg.fd5c20e7a06992502e9ae4c0bba9a268.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

The various signs are now in place, although the Typeface on the name board for the Vidler might be a bit too modern. Thoughts please:

ABC70B63-8717-4A8A-95A7-F62FF25A297D.jpeg.ec9cad618accea95b3b574d5ab57235d.jpeg

The ship inn is a Hornby skaledale pub. The Ship images came from an insert from model rail ages ago:

CDA70984-9A41-46C2-9289-B32947A38FCE.jpeg.b01e1a7f693c53132a6780c0c396e832.jpeg

and the new end of platform running in boards:

81C631DA-753D-41AB-AD26-3E298276E720.jpeg.b733e3c78d2390d27cc34888f07ee39b.jpeg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon has been taken up with re-wiring my Oxford Dean Goods 0-6-0 no 2475.

A couple of months ago, it shorted and the decoder blew up :-( It looked as if the loco to tender connector had been wired poorly and was the cause of the short. On closer examination, all the wiring looked a bit suspect, so I decided to replace everything.

I bought new connectors; ; new decoder socket and a new decoder, all from DCC Concepts. I went for a Zen Black v12 decoder. After a couple of hours with the soldering iron, it was all programmed through the Sprog3 and everything was as good as new.

My only quibble was that I should have been able to set up CV25 as a one stop set-up. Sadly the option to change CV25 wasn't on the Sprog commands. I have since changed the settings in CV2 etc. and set up the characteristics of a small freight loco - perfect!

I have also added Modelu crew. It just needs weathering and then come lamps and thats the morning goods loco.

85323313_2475DeanGoods0-6-0r.jpg.cfd22c2dba4f0f9366f84d527a4f6c8c.jpg

Dean Goods loco seen arriving at Henley on Thames with a short freight.

1260364837_2475arrivingatHOTr.jpg.8c4a47fb21cfc0ccff0a7aee48513c94.jpg

A slightly different angle and black and white.

2004206192_2475atHenleyr.jpg.a43e3f8f47b3755b005e04e1944caf04.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Pleased to see you've sorted the Dean ( one of my top 10 favourite GWR locos ) out Neil.

I haven't bothered to mention it before, I managed to pick up one for a very good price and advertised as New.

Out of the box it didn't want to know whatsoever and I made a claim against the seller, money returned and although I offered (naturally) to return the offending loco I was told to either keep it or bin it ! 

I now have a DG that needs rewiring at some point and will possibly convert / backdate  as per Mikkel did.

Enjoying your ongoing work very much, but then I am biased ! 

G

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Sadly the option to change CV25 wasn't on the Sprog commands.

Presumably you're using JMRI DecoderPro with the Sprog? You might find you need to download a newer version of JMRI to get the latest decoder definitions. I had to do that last Christmas for my Hornby TTS Castle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bgman said:

Pleased to see you've sorted the Dean ( one of my top 10 favourite GWR locos ) out Neil.

I haven't bothered to mention it before, I managed to pick up one for a very good price and advertised as New.

Out of the box it didn't want to know whatsoever and I made a claim against the seller, money returned and although I offered (naturally) to return the offending loco I was told to either keep it or bin it ! 

I now have a DG that needs rewiring at some point and will possibly convert / backdate  as per Mikkel did.

Enjoying your ongoing work very much, but then I am biased ! 

G

Thanks Graham.

The Dean goods has been an issue from the start, although I agree, it’s a lovely looking loco.

Hopefully with a DCC concepts decoder inside it’s now going to settle down.

I like the idea that you’ve gained a loco for free! It was quite straightforward to re-wire. In order to get everything in, I carved a space under the coal load. The decoder is a direct plug variety and is quite meaty!

Thanks again for your comments.

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Definitely. I'd go for an all upper-case face, probably with serifs.

Any suggestions on font? 

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Presumably you're using JMRI DecoderPro with the Sprog? You might find you need to download a newer version of JMRI to get the latest decoder definitions. I had to do that last Christmas for my Hornby TTS Castle.

Will give that a go, thanks very much 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad you got the Dean sorted electrically. I had a similar problem and eventually had to add a Supercap SA which made all the difference for guaranteed reliable performance. I now use one of mine for an automated pick up goods.

If you havent done so already , you may want to add some weight to the loco. I found haulage want great until I started squeezing some lead in. 

Lovely photos, I think the Dean rather lends itself to Black and White.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

How about an Egyptian Serif - like the GREAT WESTERN on the tender?

fetteegyptienne.regular.png.dd3c8a3b0f1c9d153a4e3afbcdc4bb26.png

This one was: https://www.1001fonts.com/fetteegyptienne-font.html

Thanks for this, that looks a lot better.

5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'd try Times New Roman or Clarendon for starters.

It’s strange, on the printed page, it looked ok. It was only when I started to stick it onto the building that I questioned it.

1 hour ago, john dew said:

Glad you got the Dean sorted electrically. I had a similar problem and eventually had to add a Supercap SA which made all the difference for guaranteed reliable performance. I now use one of mine for an automated pick up goods.

If you havent done so already , you may want to add some weight to the loco. I found haulage want great until I started squeezing some lead in. 

Lovely photos, I think the Dean rather lends itself to Black and White.

Thanks very much John. I was thinking about a stay alive as well. The new Zen decoders are pre wired for stay alive on a plug and play basis. Although space in the tender is now very tight. 

You are right there is something about some locos being in B/W that makes a difference.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the font comments. 

From the site: https://fontsinuse.com/typefaces/75999/old-style-bold

Is was looking at OS Bold and will also have a go later with that on the laptop.

1ABAD490-866C-481C-976F-62D4522C0F1E.jpeg.6cd3b28e4d24f59ceca44c1b98f97760.jpeg

I searched for fonts from the 1890’s on the basis the sign would have been old!

Thanks again for the comments.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

After yesterday success with the Dean Goods, sadly it was all a bit hit and miss today. No matter how much I cleaned the track; the wheels, it seemed to make no difference. 

Sometimes thats the way it goes!

1237692129_DeanGoodslocotrial.jpg.9cfe8bf0e4f005f6072e0a2f23ea097a.jpg

There is certainly plenty of space to add some extra weight. I'm not sure about adding the stay alive, although thats what it needs, maybe hook it up to a Toad to increase the number of pickups.

I have adjusted the pickups on the loco as that seemed also to be an issue.

All wasn't lost, after messing about for a bit and then leaving it in Platform 3 for a couple of hours, it happily made its way up the line to Twyford.

Dean Goods 2475 departing Henley r.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

However, that was all a diversion. I had spent an hour trying to download some different fonts, which on a mac, is not easy.

I couldn't find the OS Bold typeface to download, but found a Times Old Attic, downloaded it, but couldn't get it installed - until I sat back in front of the laptop this evening to do the photos.

2089065562_VidlerArms-Typeset.jpg.c32e9378cf1b58b54683f91c5c5452da.jpg

I ended up using Iowan old style, which os better than the sign over the door, which looks like a modern Southern sign.

I'm happy with how it looks and I think the size of the sign is better than the Engravers one which os the same size font as the others.

927641113_VidlerArmsr.jpg.dada25e0d790364ddfa06edb8c776ff5.jpg

To be honest I'm pleased now with the way it looks.

The pub needs some outside drinkers and then lights inside.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I also had an hour or so, just playing trains - as you do. This time with locos that don't come out very often.

The Huntley & Palmers loco must be arriving after an overhaul, its a lot cleaner than that first wagon. In the 1930's Huntley & Palmers had a big factory in Reading.

1309157168_HuntleyPalmerslocor.jpg.03625c43eb271d3ce7cc3d976efc235c.jpg

1607329863_HuntleyPalmerslocoarrivingr.jpg.84bbd466a3cec23e2892f9019f88f31d.jpg

It was then time for the GWR Saddle tank to take over the train.

265385793_13630-6-0STr.jpg.4bd4d4566ccab40cfdb850e4aeeb62d6.jpg

Just a bit of fun, have a good evening.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

However, that was all a diversion. I had spent an hour trying to download some different fonts, which on a mac, is not easy.

I couldn't find the OS Bold typeface to download, but found a Times Old Attic, downloaded it, but couldn't get it installed - until I sat back in front of the laptop this evening to do the photos.

2089065562_VidlerArms-Typeset.jpg.c32e9378cf1b58b54683f91c5c5452da.jpg

I ended up using Iowan old style, which os better than the sign over the door, which looks like a modern Southern sign.

I'm happy with how it looks and I think the size of the sign is better than the Engravers one which os the same size font as the others.

927641113_VidlerArmsr.jpg.dada25e0d790364ddfa06edb8c776ff5.jpg

To be honest I'm pleased now with the way it looks.

The pub needs some outside drinkers and then lights inside.

I still reckon it would look better in upper case.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1