Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2021 at 13:05, The Stationmaster said:

No - and that's got  a couple of things no 'Manor' ever had so it's not a comparable photo ;) 

I give up then Mike, although this photo from the GWSR looks good as well!

I can’t see where there is something very Great Western, that’s not on the model….. 

edit: April 2022:

We are clearly talking about the backhead, but I cant see the original photo, so have substituted for this:

1002630140_DinmoreManoratOxley1965.jpg.ffe0b98f667a3b05a6fbd23bc2a364d2.jpg

https://www.dinmoremanor.co.uk 

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nice pic although I see the firebox door flap is not there but there appears tp be a slot in which it would fit (and it was on the CADs after the cab interior was sorted).  And the 'deliberate mistake' (for some versions) is now well visible but it was going to be very difficult to do both versions correctly so it was left that way.  However nobody has noticed it yet and they'll need to know quite a bit  about certain details on GWR engines realise what it is ;)  - this week's RMweb quiz?

Steam heat pipe not lagged?

No billy can on the shelf?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I am still torn between buying a Deltic or a Manor, I dont need either and cant justify both.  Photos like this really do not help with my decision!

I know that feeling Rich, I’ve repeatedly said I don’t need one…. 

However with the cab looking that good…. Doesn’t make it easy!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Stationmaster said:

But surely an early appearance of a Manor class member in South Devon would be justifiable ;)  

I have already built a Mitchell kit for a Manor so I already have one more than I need, all be it not looking quite so nice as this one (and it is currently unpowered...)

• Friendly/supportive 4

29 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

that's got  a couple of things no 'Manor' ever had

Indeed - so here is a piccy of the footplate of 7822 "Foxcote Manor":

Footplate of 7822 'Foxcote Manor', GWR Manor Class 4-6-0, Bitton

It's clear that Accurascale have left out the most important piece of equipment - the driver's enamel tea can. No loco is going anywhere without that...

Yours, Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

No, they're white - or should be.

398786451_7828OdneyManorCab.png.762eb08cd07be6447ca095a784a6333f.png

My photo of 7828 Odney Manor at WSR Minehead, Aug 2020. So sound the warning bells because this is (a.) a BR-built Manor and (b.) in preservation, but:

Lagged steam heat pipe

Brass gauge faces bearing the "G.W.R." imprint.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the 'deliberate mistake' (for some versions) is now well visible but it was going to be very difficult to do both versions correctly so it was left that way.  However nobody has noticed it yet and they'll need to know quite a bit  about certain details on GWR engines realise what it is ;)  - this week's RMweb quiz?

The number of lubricator feeds?

• Like 2

The King has a mechanical lubricator with an associated gauge in the cab, below the brake handle, whereas the Manor has a manually adjusted hydrostatic, sight feed, lubricator device in the same place.

Also the King has a four-cone brake ejector whilst the Manor doesn't, although I'm not sure whether this requires any different fittings in the cab.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Well done sir - congratulations.  But do you know which is right and which is wrong and in what context?

In the realms of guesswork now but if you're twisting my arm I'd say that some engines had higher superheat boilers and thus needed improved cylinder lubrication to match. I'd presume the higher superheat engines had 4 sight glasses.

Only an inspired guesses in the spirit of competition! :) 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Hot news from Henley on Thames:

We are in Benidorm! I ran the Benidorm half marathon on Saturday and improved my time from 2:07 at Brighton 2020 to 1:55 this time. Very happy with that. Back home this morning after a lovely weekend away.

I’ve got a parcel to collect when we get home……. A Zimo decoder with YouChoos sounds for my Hornby Grange.

It arrived into customs at Madrid on 3rd October and cost €58 duty into the bargain 😞 Thanks again to everyone who thought Brexit was a good idea!

Clearly I’m going to have to find a better way of ordering sound decoders from the UK as although I didn’t get charged VAT, the duty makes up for it, with an extra charge thrown in. It’s also the delay about how long it takes.

Generally DHL / UPS is better, the delays are generally in days, not weeks or months.

Even so DHL tell me that my parcel from Greenwood will arrive today… having been despatched on Friday. Initially I had an issue with the tracking number, which DHL have now given….. at the same time they asked for the address as the street name had been left off. Is Mike at Greenwood a complete numpty?

Anyway, off to breakfast then drive home, it’s just over an hour from here.

This was Benidorm seafront yesterday morning:

1605861578_Levantebeachr.jpg.949f8673d1c90189595ca51fdc773b7b.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Great and this was Bicester yesterday evening....

IMG_4123.jpg.5bf502e4a6324bfb25d719997fa05846.jpg

Not much difference really is there....!!!

We don’t see winter like that here! Or rather it’s very rare on the coast.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Hot news from Henley on Thames:

We are in Benidorm! I ran the Benidorm half marathon on Saturday and improved my time from 2:07 at Brighton 2020 to 1:55 this time. Very happy with that. Back home this morning after a lovely weekend away.

I’ve got a parcel to collect when we get home……. A Zimo decoder with YouChoos sounds for my Hornby Grange.

It arrived into customs at Madrid on 3rd October and cost €58 duty into the bargain :-( Thanks again to everyone who thought Brexit was a good idea!

Clearly I’m going to have to find a better way of ordering sound decoders from the UK as although I didn’t get charged VAT, the duty makes up for it, with an extra charge thrown in. It’s also the delay about how long it takes.

Generally DHL / UPS is better, the delays are generally in days, not weeks or months.

Even so DHL tell me that my parcel from Greenwood will arrive today… having been despatched on Friday. Initially I had an issue with the tracking number, which DHL have now given….. at the same time they asked for the address as the street name had been left off. Is Mike at Greenwood a complete numpty?

Anyway, off to breakfast then drive home, it’s just over an hour from here.

This was Benidorm seafront yesterday morning:

D5B78E78-ECF4-45B6-8EC2-884A2B81BBA9.jpeg.4b3bcfaf1ef346682171f35690cf2684.jpeg

Looks much nicer than cold and damp Vienna!

I sympathise 100% on the import charges, always getting clobbered with them here.  Austria used to have a minimum value below which they wouldn't add charges, but they recently scrapped that.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looks much nicer than cold and damp Vienna!

I sympathise 100% on the import charges, always getting clobbered with them here.  Austria used to have a minimum value below which they wouldn't add charges, but they recently scrapped that.

I also thought we had a minimum of anything over €100 but that seems to have gone as well.

When the decoder came back after its warranty repair, I got a duty charge of 20 cents…. Plus €5 admin charge!!

Im hoping that Mike Green has put the right declaration on the turntable bits …. I’m not holding my breath!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Neal Ball said:

When the decoder came back after its warranty repair, I got a duty charge of 20 cents…. Plus €5 admin charge!!

Unbelievable isn't it?

I had to send my Mogul back to the UK to get the sound working, I'm hoping I don't have to pay a fortune to see it again...

• Friendly/supportive 4