Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Unbelievable isn't it?

I had to send my Mogul back to the UK to get the sound working, I'm hoping I don't have to pay a fortune to see it again...

When I send stuff back for repair I’m including the English and translated Spanish translation for customs. It worked for the decoder as Bif copied it correctly - other than the €5.20 charge! 

The charge for the Grange decoder was calculated on the net price and postage! With an admin fee of €25 but got stuck at Madrid clearly for ages!

On the DCC sounds page there is a discussion about being able to download sound files and add them to an ESU decoder purchased in the EU. Not sure how that would work or if YouChoos would even do that.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I used to bring in a few car parts from the US to the UK. An £11 pair of windscreen wipers was checked, resealed and a charge of £28 applied. A £650 box of window and body rubbers, again opened and a £28 charge. A front bumper that was so big and heavy it took two people to fit it, came through as though it was a Christmas card. As did nearly £1000 worth of seat covers, door panels and assorted interior trim. Another big heavy box. It made no sense. 

As for the leave or remain debate, I figured at the time that no matter which way it went we would be worse off. If we stayed, the powers that be would know that they could walk all over us. If we left, we would be punished for having the temerity to think that our leaders didn't know best. It's a lose lose situation.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well at least the decoder has arrived.

Customs opened it, I wonder what they made of it!

Next challenge…. Greenwood parcel. The DHL tracking merely says it’s been collected and still due to be delivered today!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/11/2021 at 18:27, The Stationmaster said:

Looking for something else this afternoon I came across a photo which I all too obviously took a long time ago.  the original is alas only a small print and there was deep shadow in places so the chap (Tony Smith) who processed the film did his best in the darkroom to make up for a not very adequate camera lens and my inability to move on from Kodak Tri-X film.

But here it is - and it might be useful?

1607942332_HenleyGoodShedlightenedprint.jpeg.20ce3924be6f09319eaa4d9c155f1767.jpeg

The picture taken from the other side on a different day was a lot more colourful and I might have posted it previously but here it is with the light adjusted a tad.

778882845_HYgoodsshedcopy.jpg.641a7b3868d92dad5e4c446678849e2c.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/11/2021 at 18:27, The Stationmaster said:

Looking for something else this afternoon I came across a photo which I all too obviously took a long time ago.  the original is alas only a small print and there was deep shadow in places so the chap (Tony Smith) who processed the film did his best in the darkroom to make up for a not very adequate camera lens and my inability to move on from Kodak Tri-X film.

But here it is - and it might be useful?

1607942332_HenleyGoodShedlightenedprint.jpeg.20ce3924be6f09319eaa4d9c155f1767.jpeg

The picture taken from the other side on a different day was a lot more colourful and I might have posted it previously but here it is with the light adjusted a tad.

778882845_HYgoodsshedcopy.jpg.641a7b3868d92dad5e4c446678849e2c.jpg

Great photos

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Lovely journey thank you for sharing

I always find these to be extremely interesting and far, far better than the awful war / shoot-em-up type computer games. 

Very clever stuff.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/11/2021 at 10:46, TrevorP1 said:

In the realms of guesswork now but if you're twisting my arm I'd say that some engines had higher superheat boilers and thus needed improved cylinder lubrication to match. I'd presume the higher superheat engines had 4 sight glasses.

Only an inspired guesses in the spirit of competition! :) 

At some time in the 1950s the 'Manors' changed from having three sight feed lubricators - as shown on the original Swindon drawing - to having four sight feed lubricators.  I spent a lot of time trying to date the change but couldn't find a definitive answer or a later drawing notwithstanding lots of help from the GWS in sourcing all the correct drawings.  the change seems to  be associated with the redraughting with a change to the lubrication and the oil pipe cover between the boiler cladding and the smokebox.  What is fairly reliable is that pre Sam Ell's draughting work there were three sight feeds and on engines in final BR condition there were four.

Discussing it with the designer, and with a massive amount of detail by then being put into the cab, he decided it would be going a very long way with a virtually unknown detail.  So we compromised on having four feeds in the knowledge that if anybody really knew what they were looking at they might say the arrangement was wrong for engines in their early life and in any case I doubted that many people would notice.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

At some time in the 1950s the 'Manors' changed from having three sight feed lubricators - as shown on the original Swindon drawing - to having four sight feed lubricators.  I spent a lot of time trying to date the change but couldn't find a definitive answer or a later drawing notwithstanding lots of help from the GWS in sourcing all the correct drawings.  the change seems to  be associated with the redraughting with a change to the lubrication and the oil pipe cover between the boiler cladding and the smokebox.  What is fairly reliable is that pre Sam Ell's draughting work there were three sight feeds and on engines in final BR condition there were four.

Discussing it with the designer, and with a massive amount of detail by then being put into the cab, he decided it would be going a very long way with a virtually unknown detail.  So we compromised on having four feeds in the knowledge that if anybody really knew what they were looking at they might say the arrangement was wrong for engines in their early life and in any case I doubted that many people would notice.

Ah, but now you've explained it we all know what to look for and what to tut-tut over. :wink_mini:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Lovely journey thank you for sharing

Lots of details (especially signals) need to be sorted to get it spot on but it is quite interesting.  I see one or two mirror images in there as well particularly on the approach to Reading where teh shed water tower is shown on the wrong side of the Westbury Lines.  But these are minor quibles compared with the overall impression.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's been a sound day today - but not one for the feint hearted!

Re: Sound for the Grange and out comes the knife and dremmel!

Having received the decoder from YouChoos yesterday, I have started to fit it in place.

As can be seen I am using a Zimo MX645R with stay alive (not huge, its only a 450uf); together with a Zimo double speaker 40x22x9. The old decoder is the Gaugemaster one on the right.

Looking under the tender, the whole area under the coal load will have to go and even that might not be enough!

Its work in progress for another day..... All of the inside under the load has now gone and I've started taking the depth off the coal at the lower end.

It was still proving tricky to get it all in, so Ive now taken out the false load and the coal I had added on top.

edit: April 2022 - photos changed

438213641_Grangeloco-soundfitting1.jpg.dbfcb060b609ac25b3afd8359f767264.jpg

1138159691_Grangeloco-soundfitting-tender1.jpg.133a779fa454e60e11a4ab7ffb8d3451.jpg

1711847981_Grangeloco-soundfitting-tender2.jpg.8993a839ee8768ac470876423a6b3cc5.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve just been reading the Rapido newsletter and come across this lovely design for the AA20 Toad brake van. 

Whilst it’s part of the Titfield collection, I understand it will also be available separately.

1988800999_RapidoToad.jpg.092a698f2746a16a55e54084339d40fd.jpg

It’s now been sent off for tooling.

There is also an image of the Lorien Y which at this stage includes “Dans house”.

Being a Rapido product I suspect the Toad will be a lovely model…. The thing is though, how many brake vans do I need at Henley on Thames? 

I am surprised there’s been no mention of working side and tail lights…. That would finish it off nicely and make it unique product…. What do you reckon @rapidoandy

edit: April 2022 - I have since ordered an AA20, together with the recently announced open and Iron Mink vans

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In the same newsletter there is a photo of the new Gunpowder vans….

I had one on pre order, together with one of the SECR open wagons, which are also shown.

I’m only having one GPV, as I reckon in the middle of my busy service I couldn’t justify any more…. In reality during the Regatta, the goods yard was emptied completely and no freight was handled. I suppose all the staff were needed to deal with the increased passenger trains.

But this GPV does look very nice…..

edit: April 2022 - the wagons have since arrived and Yes! they are very nice. It's tempting to get some more, but I think I will stick to the GWR wagons and Iron Minks.

785367013_Rapidowagons1.jpg.e55779b3620d1a5cbf6c7913ffbab76d.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In other news from Henley on Thames:

1. I’ve had an email from DHL and my parcel will be delivered tomorrow! The duty was €3.51 ….. so hopefully I might have a working turntable soon!

2. Save the date of Sunday 14th August…. Can’t say any more at the moment…. Other than any Great Western aficionado will be interested!

3. And finally…. it’s a bit of a gloomy start to Thursday in Spain, have a good day everyone.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

DHL have delivered!

The parcel contains everything it needed to..... I now need to test everything, I'm going to try and do it Saturday - tomorrow we are going on a tester for our Boxing Day pub crawl :-)

(We need to check out the local bars...)

Wish me good luck - on both fronts!

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Just make sure that you have Monday clear as standby turntable testing day. 

Friday might just get out of hand to extent of  losing a couple of days, then waking up on Sunday morning with a hangover and a new girlfriend.

It happens that way sometimes....

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Just make sure that you have Monday clear as standby turntable testing day. 

Friday might just get out of hand to extent of  losing a couple of days, then waking up on Sunday morning with a hangover and a new girlfriend.

It happens that way sometimes....

Ha! Thats not going to happen #alreadymarried.

We have a busy few days, seem to be out more than at home:

Friday: Boxing Day pub crawl test run

Saturday: Running in the morning, then possibly a day for the turntable.

Sunday: running first thing, then drinks with running friends.

Monday: Day off!

Tuesday: Yep you guessed it - more drinks - its my birthday :-)

Its a tough life this retired lark.

Has anyone guessed what's going to happen on 14th August 2022

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Would it be something taking place in a former great western shed by any chance?

Sadly I will be in the US on holiday and the closest to anything GWR I will be getting is a replica of 5972…

That’s a shame Rich, but enjoy your holiday nonetheless!

Yes it’s the date for the 2022 tour round the GWS at Didcot, which just happens to be when we are in the UK. 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Turntable woes continued….

Ive got a spare hour, so decide to set the table up…. After all it’s all been tested, so it will be fine…. Surely?

Mike included a cable that goes from the control PCB to the turntable… the only thing is it’s wired the opposite way to my notes. Does it make a difference? 

Sunflower.jpg.2102f1ab13713eea274f3119c29911d3.jpg

The loose cables sticking up are the ones from the turntable, with my notes about what goes where.

40 minutes later I get a reply by email, simply “no”.

Back under the railway and I start programming the table…

Track 1 - ok

Track 2 - nothing

Track 3 - ok

Buttons 2; 5; 8 and 0 don’t work - exactly the same fault as I had on the original board.

Having now spoken to him in the UK he is going to send another keypad out…. 

BUT I have to be patient as he has shows to attend! 

Eventually he agreed to send it out next week…. When I said all I want is a working table as I’ve been waiting six months…. He said other people have been waiting just as long! 

Clearly he has sent the old keypad back to me…. There can’t be two keypads with the same fault….

edit: April 2022 - Ive added the sunflower photo again... its much better than the useless kit Mike Greenwood sent over. Did I say I would not recommend his company?

Edited by Neal Ball
sunflower added
  • Friendly/supportive 19