Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a 48xx with more than just a single coach. They look good like that! 

I fancy running it with 2 autocoaches, with the 48xx sandwiched in the middle - ala Chalford flyer 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Busy weekend! Need to get a few miles running on the seafront tomorrow, then I am running the Brighton half marathon on Sunday.

I've got a few photo updates for the railway to post and also need to do some DIY. No peace for the wicked!

Enjoy the weekend.

Neal

I fancy running it with 2 autocoaches, with the 48xx sandwiched in the middle - ala Chalford flyer 

I can't say I've actually come across a photo of the Chalford autos with the loco between the coaches - I've only seen them with the loco pulling/propelling two coaches, or more usually just the one coach. (I know they ran 'sandwich' auto trains in the Plymouth area and possibly around Cardiff, but with Panniers, not 0-4-2Ts, I think). There seem to be more photos around of two-coach 'sandwich' auto trains in the early days rather than inter-war or later. It seems 'sandwiching' with a 48xx/14xx is mostly a preservation thing, maybe because it's interesting and demonstrates the principle well.

One thing I would like to know - is there any reason why it appears that the loco's bunker end was always coupled to the single coach, and not the smokebox end? I can understand it would make sense from a loco-driving point of view, although they obviously could work with the smokebox end coupled, such as when they were 'sandwiched'.  

• RMweb Gold

I can't say I've actually come across a photo of the Chalford autos with the loco between the coaches - I've only seen them with the loco pulling/propelling two coaches, or more usually just the one coach. (I know they ran 'sandwich' auto trains in the Plymouth area and possibly around Cardiff, but with Panniers, not 0-4-2Ts, I think). There seem to be more photos around of two-coach 'sandwich' auto trains in the early days rather than inter-war or later. It seems 'sandwiching' with a 48xx/14xx is mostly a preservation thing, maybe because it's interesting and demonstrates the principle well.

One thing I would like to know - is there any reason why it appears that the loco's bunker end was always coupled to the single coach, and not the smokebox end? I can understand it would make sense from a loco-driving point of view, although they obviously could work with the smokebox end coupled, such as when they were 'sandwiched'.  

Lots of logic to it when you think about it.  Far more comfortable to drive when running smokebox leading so I bet that was probably the main reason but also easier to get into the smokrbox if needed (not very likely but you never know) and it meant any priming or low lying exhaust was just that little bit further away from the coach.

Lots of logic to it when you think about it. Far more comfortable to drive when running smokebox leading so I bet that was probably the main reason but also easier to get into the smokrbox if needed (not very likely but you never know) and it meant any priming or low lying exhaust was just that little bit further away from the coach.

Thanks, your other reasons came to mind after I'd posted. Makes sense.

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to the railway this weekend - plus a bit of gardening as the veg bed is being replaced with lawn and a raised flower bed. Growing vegetables at home is great, but very time consuming and i just don't have the time.

Last weekend was the Brighton half marathon and I managed a respectable 2:09, which was a bit quicker than last year. Maybe next year I will get under the magic 2hours :-)

Progress with Henley has been slow of late and got diverted a couple of weeks ago, when I started to make repairs to the room itself. It seems that the walls at the back are not braced enough, overall despite adding in extra upright supports inside the walls, the wooden walls are just too flimsy. Effectively at one point, across the far two / three panels, the top has bowed out by about 2 inches. so extra bracing has been placed with some 2" x 4" wooden beams to try and stop any further movement.

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

This mornings weather looks to be ok - maybe the railway will wait until tomorrow when it's supposed to be raining all day.

I need to go to the Post Office to get a new DCC decoder - (no idea why it wouldn't fit through the letter box) - this will be my first from Olivias Trains and is something I have been looking forward to doing for a while :-)

Details later....

Edited by Neal Ball
typos

• RMweb Gold

Back to the railway this weekend - plus a bit of gardening as the veg bed is being replaced with lawn and a raised flower bed. Growing vegetables at home is great, but very time consuming and i just don't have the time.

Last weekend was the Brighton half marathon and I managed a respectable 2:09, which was a bit quicker than last year. Maybe next year I will get under the magic 2hours :-)

Progress with Henley has been slow of late and got diverted a couple of weeks ago, when I started to make repairs to the room itself. It seems that the walls at the back are not braced enough, overall despite adding in extra upright supports inside the walls, the wooden walls are just too flimsy. Effectively at one point, across the far two / three panels, the top has bowed out by about 2 inches. so extra bracing has been placed with some 2" x 4" wooden beams to try and stop any further movement.

This was the room on 12th February after they had been added. I still need to fill in the gaps and will be adding plywood to add some rigidity, rather than the previous hardboard.

attachicon.gifIMG_0422.jpg

Neal if the walls have bowed outwards at the top that sounds like the roof is pushing them and the cause might be down to the rafters settling and needing some extra bracing (although I can see they're braced further up) or the rafters aren't properly supported where they sit on the walls.

• RMweb Premium

Neal if the walls have bowed outwards at the top that sounds like the roof is pushing them and the cause might be down to the rafters settling and needing some extra bracing (although I can see they're braced further up) or the rafters aren't properly supported where they sit on the walls.

Thanks Mike, its strange as it is only noticeable towards the one section. i have thought about adding extra support by means of a post(s) in the centre of the room.

• RMweb Premium

Today's first project. To fit a sound decoder into the Hornby King.

Seen here test fitting the speaker.

This is the first time I have used Olivia's trains for their sound files.

Esu Loksound decoder with 4 ohm 2 watt speaker

Edited by Neal Ball
2023 photos update - missing images
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As well as adding the sound decoder, I have changed the wiring for the lights. 

I took off a 4 pin connector from the old Airfix 48xx and autocoach and used this. As ever, its fiddly and I needed an extra pair of hands. I didn't think I would ever need two of these "helping hand" type clamps, but more and more I use both, not only the one.

Image missing - not found :-(

The tender is now back together and tested for sound. after lunch I am going to fix the crew in place, add some coal, clean the track and video the new sounds.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

This is a not very good picture but the only one I have showing the way the roof was supported and the sides held in on our shed at the previous house, please excuse the heap of layout sections by the window and the rest of the jumble.  As you can see the joist is a fairly substantial piece of timber which not only supports the roof ridge but sits on one of the principal frame uprights (a piece of 4x4 sawn timber) right in the middle of the longest side of the shed.

The shed was erected about 13-14 years ago (this picture was taken in 2005) and we moved from there nearly 10 years ago but still pass occasionally and can see from the road that the sides have not bulged at all.  The roof is 12mm sheet ply topped with felt and then a sort of corrugated plastic while the inside of it is insulated with the insulation held in place by hardboard so it isn't exactly lightweight.

post-6859-0-37016500-1488729027_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike.

I added in extra supports going up the apex and then added extra supports going across to stop the roof from spreading. At that point it was all 2x2 - with the new supports, its 4x2. I reckon the reason that the front has now bowed inn the same way is due to the layout being higher on that side, with the 2x2 at a higher level. Basically it needs extra supports - maybe even an external brace fixed into the ground to stop it moving any more.

• RMweb Premium

Today I have been in the railway room, to do a couple of quick jobs!!!!! Famous last words indeed.

Fixing the ESU Loksound decoder was not straight forward, but mainly as a result of having to fix the lamps connecter. With hindsight they need a much slimmer fitting, or find a way of utilising the Hornby plug as there are several spare terminals. Has anyone taken one apart?

Eventually it was all done and the King then spent the next couple of hours running around. I think on the Hornby King thread people were moaning about the loco not being very responsive. I would say with this new decoder it is more responsive than before.

As I have said before this is the first time I have had a sound decoder from Olivias.

My other sound locos are 2 x Castle class locos and a class 52 Western - all from Howes, plus a class 47 from Bachmann.

By way of comparison, I am trying to upload a video of the sound of the King and one of my Howes Castles.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While I am Waiting for the video to load onto YouTube, how about a 48xx?

Seen arriving from Telford with the local livestock train. a couple of Hornby horse box, followed by two Coopercraft cattle vans and a Parkside Dundalk horse box.

2023 note: Original image not found - so instead how about 1466 at Didcot.

DID-Shedsceneb-rr.jpg.28f1e9468d294192a51142d4343ac3b9.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Haven't you left your brake van behind? Or did horseboxes mixed with cattle vans run without guards?

(Further edit required - Parkside Dundas... )

I blame predictive text!

No need for a brake van, the vans are fitted.

I blame predictive text!

No need for a brake van, the vans are fitted.

Hi Neal

Pedant alert

You would still need a guard (and hence van). It is only recently that trains were able to work driver only. Initially with the switch to fully fitted freights in the 1980s the guard rode in the back cab, the driver was responsible for the loco, the guard the whole train i.e. checking marshalling, couplings, operation of the continuous brake. Perhaps most significantly the rules around a disabled train set out different duties for the driver and guard. So anytime before the late 1980s a freight train would have a guard but not necessarily a 'guards van' - in steam days fully fitted freights would have a piped or fitted van. For example the GWR milk gains usually ran with a full passenger brake coach.

Of course they are your trains, so marshall them as you see fit.

Hi Neal

Pedant alert

You would still need a guard (and hence van). It is only recently th. at trains were able to work driver only. Initially with the switch to fully fitted freights in the 1980s the guard rode in the back cab, the driver was responsible for the loco, the guard the whole train i.e. checking marshalling, couplings, operation of the continuous brake. Perhaps most significantly the rules around a disabled train set out different duties for the driver and guard. So anytime before the late 1980s a freight train would have a guard but not necessarily a 'guards van' - in steam days fully fitted freights would have a piped or fitted van. For example the GWR milk gains usually ran with a full passenger brake coach.

Of course they are your trains, so marshall them as you see fit.

I don't think you're being pedantic - you're just correcting a simple assumption that an all-fitted train in Great Western days didn't need a brake vehicle of some sort, while at the same time pointing out that the train still needs a guard and accommodation for him.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry guys - clearly school boy error - of course it needs a full brake - my excuse is the K22 in the carriage sidings - which you can't see in the photo :-)

Must try harder

Must try harder

Must try harder

Must try harder

Must try harder

Must try harder

Must try harder

LOL aren't writing lines easy with CMD V (Mac), none of that excessive book rubbish. Have a good evening, Neal.

• RMweb Premium

On a different topic - should I take off that front coupling? - Usually yes, they all go.

I stand to be corrected, but can't recall seeing a photo of a 48xx bunker first, I'm sure they did....

• RMweb Premium

Finally managed to get the clip of the King class loco onto Youtube - its too big for RMWeb !

https://youtu.be/DhAQswykYRw 

But I am still not happy with the quality - its looks very different when seen direct on the mac. This was recorded with my iPhone, rather than the camera, which probably shows the short comings of video on the iPhone.

This is a not very good picture but the only one I have showing the way the roof was supported and the sides held in on our shed at the previous house, please excuse the heap of layout sections by the window and the rest of the jumble.  As you can see the joist is a fairly substantial piece of timber which not only supports the roof ridge but sits on one of the principal frame uprights (a piece of 4x4 sawn timber) right in the middle of the longest side of the shed.

The shed was erected about 13-14 years ago (this picture was taken in 2005) and we moved from there nearly 10 years ago but still pass occasionally and can see from the road that the sides have not bulged at all.  The roof is 12mm sheet ply topped with felt and then a sort of corrugated plastic while the inside of it is insulated with the insulation held in place by hardboard so it isn't exactly lightweight.

attachicon.gif130605 DSCF0052.jpg

Otherwise known as a collar.