Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Finally managed to get the clip of the King class loco onto Youtube - its too big for RMWeb !

https://youtu.be/DhAQswykYRw 

But I am still not happy with the quality - its looks very different when seen direct on the mac. This was recorded with my iPhone, rather than the camera, which probably shows the short comings of video on the iPhone.

The link doesnt work for me  "404 not found"

I will try on Youtube direct

Cheers

John

• RMweb Gold

That worked........great video....particularly from an iPhone

Not sure if I should have watched it though.........so far I haven't bought a King (not too many seen in North Wales) and I haven't tried sound

Now I am seriously tempted on both counts!

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Works on Henley has stalled for a while, apologies for the lack of updates.

Work itself is keeping me very busy, now with the warmer days, the garden is also commanding a fair share of my time - the lawn could do with cutting.... again!

Plus I bought a new DSLR last weekend, so thats next weekend written off - maybe - as far as the railway is concerned!

But this caught men eye on my emails today: http://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=164459&utm_source=ItemNowInStock&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R3454

2017-5076DrysllwynCastle-model.jpg.2cf5b7999670b0f5177b709a56bcbe91.jpg

Sound fitted it will be £278 plus postage... do I need another Castle? - How many is too many?

Accepting that this version of No 5076 Drysllwyn Castle was built in August 1938 and only named Drysllwyn in January 1941, so clearly for 1936 I will be using modellers licence!

Since the last update, I have made a nice collection of new GWR carriages with the GWR shirt button emblem.

Edited by Neal Ball
2023 - Missing photos added
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You can never have enough Castles Neal, 2 for your layout should do and 1 spare on the shelf with clean wheels.  :declare:

Oh! I've got 3 already :-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok so maybe Four Castle class locos is just right!

No. 5076 Drysllwyn Castle seen here at Henley on Thames - at this stage its not DCC sound - straight from the box, needing crew, coal and (although they were fiddly), lamps.

DrysllwynCastler.jpg.c30b3f9b2645e4aba2ce6201a96b291a.jpg

The four castle line-up:

4Castlesr.jpg.6ca27f3de6d887650617b495b16cc222.jpg

Comprising: Treggena; Windsor; Cearphilly and Drysllwyn bringing a train into Henley on the Down line.

Edited by Neal Ball
2023: missing photos added
  • Like 12

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ok so maybe Four Castle class locos is just right!

No. 5076 Drysllwyn Castle seen here at Henley on Thames - at this stage its not DCC sound - straight from the box, needing crew, coal and (although they were fiddly), lamps.

attachicon.gifDrysllwyn Castle r.jpg

The four castle line-up:

attachicon.gif4 Castles r.jpg

Comprising: Treggena; Windsor; Cearphilly and Drysllwyn bringing a train into Henley on the Down line.

You can never have too many Castles.

• RMweb Gold

Repetition makes it true. Just like seeing a bus that says we can give 350m a week to the nhs.

I take it you don't like Castle locomotives Mr Pike.  :punish:             :jester:

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think its about time for an update - its a bit overdue!

The grass has been cut for (hopefully) the last time for a while and it looks as if Summer is coming to an end.

Our holidays take us next week to France and Spain. The summer has taken us to the Somme; Normandy; Wales (Llangollen and Talyllyn); Gloucester Warwickshire Railway; Mid-Hants Railway and several trips to the Bluebell Railway, which has meant there has been no progress on Henley.... Plus having bought a Motorhome last year, we changed it for a different model during the summer.

In the meantime; we have Castle Number 4 (when will No 5 arrive  :sungum: ), more Collet carriages, there are enough for three rakes now; plus two new Toad brake vans; the new Bachmann members wagon and a couple of other bits and pieces.

As far as railways are concerned, we visited the Bai de Somme Railway, which was lovely and worth a visit. We stayed at Cayeux sur Mer, which we wouldn't go to again, but St Valery sur Somme certainly looked nice: http://www.cfbs.eu/en/ 

It was our first visit to the GWSR, we had a very warm welcome and will be back next year when they open through to Broadway. We stayed at the Caravan and Motorhome club camp site at Broadway, which has bene built adjacent to the old Goods shed, indeed the goods shed itself is now the toilet block.

Talyllyn was also great as ever.

Llangollen Railway was a disappointment - sullen staff were all standing around moaning. Our greeting at Carrog booking office when asking for two day rovers was "Have you seen the prices, they are very expensive". Whilst the valley; area and campsite are lovely, we don't want to hurry back here any time soon.

Bluebell: Real Ale and Jazz - great evenings, now even better when we camp with the motorhome in the car-park at Horsted Keynes. We will be back over for the Shareholders weekend in a couple of weeks.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The visit to the Mid-Hants Railway a couple of weeks ago for the Bachmann members day was good to see this railway. Its not one of my favourites and I always find their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I arrived just before 11am and made the mistake of trying to go into the shop on the Platform at Ropley and was rather curtly told they were closed. With some 200+ descending on the station, why didn't they open earlier? Given everyone was due for an 11:15 train, they should have been open.

It was very different on the loco and carriage works tour, where the member of staff was very knowledgable and friendly. Its surprising to see some of the carriages, just a shell at this stage, but will be back in service March next year. 

We had a lovely spirited ride up the line, hauled by either their 9F and LMS 8F. Popped into the shop at Alresford and spent a fortune on books, with part 2 and 3 of the GWR Hall class loco book! - I know, visit a SR line and walk away with GWR books! plus some loco crew for on of my locos.

Whilst at Alresford, I asked one of the Bachmann fellas, what happened to the DCC sound Pannier tank 8750 class loco which was advertised when I went on the last members day at the Bluebell. Apparently when they went to get the moulds for the frames they found they were shot to pieces and will need to be made again. Whilst there was no indication when it will be produced, he seemed to indicate that a new 8750 might be coming down the line...

I forgot to ask about new carriage stock, so followed up the visit with an email and got the standard noncommittal reply. Hopefully they might do a 8750 Pannier tank and some new carriages....

• RMweb Premium

What about the Toad Brake vans?

The Hornby one arrived during the summer - was it worth the wait? I think so.

In the photo above, the Bachmann one os on the left; new Hornby on the centre and the Ratio one on the right.

Q: Oxford Rail - what happened there then? a four wheel version, with cut-outs on the running board as if it was a six wheel. Don't lets even mention the metal plates, vs wooden planks in the wrong place. In any event, it doesn't appear to have arrived yet.

I still fancy the six wheel version to be different to the Hornby one. How many brake vans do I need?

C-ToadBrakeVan.jpg.0093fc7fa80a323d7ae5950ad63d2698.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

This year the Bachmann members wagon was in honour of Merl Evans.

ToadBrakevans2.jpg.0a5f71d1b3367d0810f984ed66f692b7.jpg

Seen here with a new LMS cattle wagon. We had an afternoon killing time at Guagemaster at Ford and ended up with a few new goodies, include the cattle wagon, a greenhouse for the new allotment scene and my first Dapol signal. Whatever happened to Dapol doing bracket signals?

Talking of Dapol, I see the new GWR railcars are on their way from China. Whilst there ,might be a few issues, is anyone getting one? Gaugemaster have already sold out.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I'm holding out for some reviews of the railcar. I quite like the look, but doesn't offer a huge about of operational interest to my small branch, so I'm holding off. But if they have sold out already, then there is some real interest somewhere.

The new Toad looks nice.. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm holding out for some reviews of the railcar. I quite like the look, but doesn't offer a huge about of operational interest to my small branch, so I'm holding off. But if they have sold out already, then there is some real interest somewhere.

The new Toad looks nice.. 

Thats only Guagemaster. that are still available to order from Hattons.

I think I need one as the railcars were always seen around the Thames Valley, although I am not sure of the allocation for No 11 & 12 in the 1930's - need to get the book out.

• RMweb Gold

Neal there is a photo in Truly The Great Western by M Earley of car No1 on a Reading - Henley trip.

BTW where are you going in Spain/France next week I'm off to The Great Little Trains of the Pyrenees Saturday.

• RMweb Gold

Thats only Guagemaster. that are still available to order from Hattons.

I think I need one as the railcars were always seen around the Thames Valley, although I am not sure of the allocation for No 11 & 12 in the 1930's - need to get the book out.

Streamlined cars definitely worked on the Henley branch Neal (I know, II rode in them ;) ) and in fact at one period in GWR days they worked the vast majority of the branch passenger services.

• RMweb Premium

Neal there is a photo in Truly The Great Western by M Earley of car No1 on a Reading - Henley trip.

BTW where are you going in Spain/France next week I'm off to The Great Little Trains of the Pyrenees Saturday.

Thursday we sail into St Malo and from there drive down to our apartment just outside Torrevieja and then back the week after via Madrid to Bilbao.

Via Bordeaux (Sunday night) and then passing through the Pyrenees on Monday to Treval in Spain. How long are you out there Bob?

• RMweb Gold

Thursday we sail into St Malo and from there drive down to our apartment just outside Torrevieja and then back the week after via Madrid to Bilbao.

Via Bordeaux (Sunday night) and then passing through the Pyrenees on Monday to Treval in Spain. How long are you out there Bob?

Morning Neil we are only going for a week it's a cheap package tour booked through our local coach touring company we will be based at Roses on the Costa Brava,

your trip sounds nice it's a beautiful part of Europe where you are going we have done a tour of northern Portugal and north West Spain 2 years ago and we were hoping

to do that area last year I think Brexit put pay to that trip it made a lot of people cancel they could not justify running a half empty coach, this year we had to go to Cuba for

my daughters wedding so it put another attempt to go to that area on the back burner .

enjoy your holiday Bob