Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Keil Kraft did a kit of a Foden steam lorry which might be a basis. They come up on ebay from time to time.

Excellent news thank you. There are a number of Keil Kraft kits of Foden steam lorries on eBay at the moment. I have one winging its way to me. 

Thanks again, Neal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Warley at the NEC this weekend looks as if it might be interesting.

Accurascale have already unveiled a new class 37 at CAD stage and will be making another announcement this Saturday.

Then on Facebook, Heljan have announced they too will be making an announcement.

All of this at the same time as Rapido have halted their UK product runs (apart from commissions), due to the uncertainty over Brexit.

I wonder who else will make an announcement... here’s hoping for something Great Western.... 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I wonder who else will make an announcement... here’s hoping for something Great Western.... 

That would be nice but please not another engine, my wallet won't stand it!

How about a nice K40 BG or a restaurant car? Maybe a Cordon or a decent milk tank wagon? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

How about a nice K40 BG or a restaurant car? Maybe a Cordon or a decent milk tank wagon? 

Whilst I agree - K22 perhaps :-)

Some new tank locos would be good - I'm starting to sound like a tired old record with my call for new 57xx

• Like 3

Hi All

4 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

I think I have said this before on the forum but there are some obvious wins for Oxford here. ROTANK + accompanying road trailer + tractor unit available separately? HYDRA and road vehicle? LORIOT and road vehicle? The list goes on and the two well wagons were very long lived - set the eras with different liveries and vehicles. Lots of options and different markets to tap... I know of some real examples just waiting to be scanned.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Castle said:

Hi All

........ I know of some real examples just waiting to be scanned.

All the best,

Castle

Waiting with an appointment booked? Does that imply there are going to be a line of new GWR wagons coming... scanned at GWS Didcot? Or am I reading too much into it ? :-)

An RTR Loriet would be good, with a typical 1930’s load... can the load be removable please !

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

13 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Waiting with an appointment booked? Does that imply there are going to be a line of new GWR wagons coming... scanned at GWS Didcot? Or am I reading too much into it ? :-)

An RTR Loriet would be good, with a typical 1930’s load... can the load be removable please !

Hi Neal,

I'm afraid not. We do get people that come and scan the stuff on shed but I'm not aware of any wagons being done. Mind you, I'm not allowed to tell you even if I did so I might be pulling out a red herring here...

In all seriousness, if there was someone doing that we would be sworn to secrecy and there is no way I would post something like I did if there was. We exist on good will with all the different communities and industries that have an interest in this wonderful hobby of ours.

It would be cool to get those wagons though wouldn't it? I have the LORIOT with a little 'Grey Fergie' tractor and trailer sat on it. I will have to scratchbuild the other two to complete Little Didcot's freight fleet.*

Along with the large BR WELTROL that is used as a departmental vehicle on site. It was built in the early 1950s so it is eligible for the LD set.

Oh, and the SR Milk Tanker.

Lots to do!

All the best,

Castle

*This is guaranteed to get an RTR release! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Castle said:

Hi Neal........In all seriousness, if there was someone doing that we would be sworn to secrecy ......

.......I will have to scratchbuild the other two to complete Little Didcot's freight fleet.*

*This is guaranteed to get an RTR release! 

Agreed on both points. If a railway is involved in scanning for the likes of Hornby etc. From a competitive point of view it would be wrong to let it slip. Apart from anything else, they may not return to that venue again, which could be lost income.

Rapido probably got it right when they launched their bus project, by holding a launch and scanning party, both at the same time!

As for scratch building, sadly I think you are right.... although you will get huge satisfaction from knowing that you built it. Rather than simply opening the box!

Thats why I’m hesitant to go to town on my Pannier tanks... assuming that new 57xx with no top feeds must be round the corner!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

The sun us just rising over the Med as I type this - red sky in the morning here, doesn’t follow the convention of bad weather, as per the saying in the UK. It generally means another sunny day.

We are preparing to leave for the airport and our flight for Birmingham, ready for our visit to the Warley show at the NEC.

I’ve got my shopping list ready! Plus I’m collecting pre ordered items from Modelu and Squires.

It’s bound to be a good show after which we head off to the station for our Virgin railways train to Euston and then to my parents before flying home on Monday.

Travel pack at the ready!

image.jpg

B239A307-C57F-4B5C-855B-6463A6295C1F.jpeg.788299ad1ebe8d153e9ee71b50026112.jpeg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/11/2019 at 21:52, Neal Ball said:

I'm starting to sound like a tired old record with my call for new 57xx

I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to change. Not for anyone! :P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to change. Not for anyone! :P

I was given a very tired answer when I asked Bachmann about a new 57xx with no top feed! (At Warley inside the members stand)

As I came out he said “there’s a lot to see there.... “ I felt like saying NO, although the 94xx looks nice, although it’s the wrong era for me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Warley 2020 review

I’ve made my first visit to Warley in probably 5 years or so, sadly as it’s now not so easy to get to, it might be my last. (at least for a while)  Having stayed at the airport overnight and still being on Spanish time, we left the hotel early and went to the NEC. Long queues at Spoons even at 8am, which just shows the advantage of the app. (Find a table, order and pay on line and hey ho your food and drink arrive), it’s just so easy.

At 9am we went round the corner for Hall 5 and were met by a sea of people - for so early, it was certainly busy.

Compared to my last visit, the space between the stands was much better, the seats by the food areas again much better - which is just as well as it was so busy. I managed to look at a few good layouts where the hand of god was not playing a part. I thought it was great to see the guys from the Market Deeping club there.

We’ve been scanned! Robbie and I were dressed up on the Modelu stand, complete with BR tie! And scanned ready to be passengers at Henley. I only had a jacket and small case, where Robbie went for a raincoat, umbrella and said case. Great experience, looking forward to seeing the finished results. In bidding Alan goodbye, I collected an order, which includes more loco crew and some lights for the new a Toad brake vans.

Static grass

Then at 11am I was over at the Model Rail stand for a chat with Chris Nevard, to talk about static grass. I was surprised that on the list of appointments there were only 3 taken for the Saturday. It was publicised on their Facebook page, maybe not many people saw it. Chris had brought a section of a layout he had rebuilt in the last few weeks. It’s all to do with layers, work slowly and be patient..... plus get rid of the tea strainer static grass gadget.... Chris has recently been using the Noch one, but has just gone over to Woodland scenics. Next stop then Peter Marriott at the Bachmann stand / Woodland Scenics part for a demonstration of the static king. Clearly a great piece of kit and to cut a long story short, we went back for a further demonstration an hour of so later, when Peter added further layers. We finished our static grass session, by going over to the TMC stand and buying the static king and a further selection of grass. ( I didn’t buy the WS static tac, I’m going to continue with PVA and hairspray for the time being.) Thanks to Chris Nevard and Peter Marriott for being so entertaining and informative.  

Bachmann members lounge

With my members card in hand, I went on the stand and had a look at the 94xx loco (rule 1 applies) which looks great. On leaving less than five minutes later, Steve was very jolly “ lots to see isn’t there?” I should have been honest and said NO, other than the 94xx there isn’t anything of GWR interest.... Instead I ask about a new 57xx “oh next year” with top feed? Whereupon he looked crest fallen and didn’t really have an answer.... So that’s a NO.... continue with removing the top feeds and hope Hornby or Dapol have a 57xx coming down the line soon....

By lunchtime, it was so busy, it was getting to be uncomfortable, maybe if we return it would have to be the Sunday next time....

I guess the increase in attendance is down to the Great model railway challenge TV show, (I saw the final, which was ok) if it means it brings more to the hobby then that can only be for the greater good.

We then caught the 4pm Virgin train to Euston and will be flying home with all our Warley purchases on Monday. Static grass updates to follow!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol Mogul....

Do I need one.... need / want it’s a bit if a conundrum!

3F8D8F9F-5C46-4919-8321-66AD15B9B459.jpeg.cb0347ac97b6840945da4ae4e83a8d96.jpeg

The Dapol stand was busy every time I went past on Saturday and it looked as if all the boxes were O gauge, I couldn’t see the display cabinets due to the amount of people clambering round. Now having seen the photos on the Dapol thread and now the image above from the Hatton’s website, it looks a pretty good looking loco.

Essentially it looks to be next Summer (straight after we get back from Nashville & New Orleans) and around the time of mums 80th birthday! At either £136 or £264 for the factory fitted sound. (Which then includes factory fitted firebox flicker).

I have no experience of the Dapol DCC sounds.... I’m trying to justify the sound version.... clearly. 

I will then also need to check what allocation there was around the area and then what sort of trains it would be hauling through the Thames valley. Local stopper perhaps....

Now if it was a new 57xx that would be a no brainier! 

Hattons link here, having nicked their photo!  https://www.hattons.co.uk/333463/dapol_4s_043_002_class_43xx_mogul_2_6_0_6385_in_gwr_green_with_shirtbutton_emblem/stockdetail.aspx

And  the sound fitted here:  https://www.hattons.co.uk/333465/dapol_4s_043_002s_class_43xx_mogul_2_6_0_6385_in_gwr_green_with_shirtbutton_emblem_dcc_sound_fitt/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Static Grass - cont'd:

I have done a quick trial of the static grass in the static king - once its dry I will post the results....

This is the area before I started:

2002420759_Staticgrass26-11-19a.jpg.bde86e1d6107b8a6cd1af2f2cbe0335d.jpg

In talking to Chris Nevard and Peter Marriott, they both advised to work in layers and be patient. Chris went further by saying to start with a base of basket liner and work on top of that. For the time being I'm putting it on top of the existing grass mat to see how I get on.

There was an immediate difference when I was watching Peter use the static King, I could see the fibres falling out of the gun and standing to attention straight away! - No need for the comb!! Maybe it was because I turned the gun on and used it straight away - Maybe I should have left it on charge for a while. There were certainly no standing fibres.

As I thought the first layer looked a bit flat, even after using the comb, I sprayed hair spray on and the results seemed better. I have re-combed and will see what it looks like tomorrow.

This is the grass I have used:

833308810_StaticGrass26-11-19b.jpg.8e4fd0e4ace84fa7a5a120229a0423a5.jpg

Chris advised using very pale colours and small fibres - building up in layers. It might be I need to mix and match it to get a pleasing result - or it might be that all the colours I have previously been using I decide against using anymore....

TBC:

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I also might be better off, removing all the trees, so I have an empty space to work on.

Definitely, it’s something I wish I had done.

Fortunately there was only one tree in the way

Its certainly looking the business! :good_mini:

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Definitely, it’s something I wish I had done.

Fortunately there was only one tree in the way

Its certainly looking the business! :good_mini:

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Theres a long way to go yet, but yes, I reckon the trees need to be taken up. I can then add static grass across the whole area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 15/11/2019 at 12:33, Neal Ball said:

Excellent news thank you. There are a number of Keil Kraft kits of Foden steam lorries on eBay at the moment. I have one winging its way to me. 

Thanks again, Neal.

As an update on this project as well... The Foden kit has arrived and is still safely in its box. At Warley, I chanced upon the Dart castings stand and purchased a Brewery dray, together with various sizes of Barrels, firkins etc. all in readiness to recreate the Brakspear picture. I dont intend to start it yet, there are a number of jobs to finish first!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Static Grass day 2:

There are signs of depth..... but also signs that I gave to strip out all the trees and start with a fresh field. At this stage though, I’m not going to rip out the bass that I’m working on.

We are off to Madrid tomorrow for the weekend, so progress will have to wait until we get back.

These were taken this morning.... yesterday’s growth was combed, as per the instructions, but seemed to flatten everything. I then sprayed on diluted PVA, covered it with grass. I then sprayed it with hairspray and covered again. I added more green into this mix, I prefer this to the bleached straw colour. But time will tell.

B2F03A50-58B1-45E5-8DF1-8469E48CE59D.jpeg.93656968f80edf29f924e0ce0ce9390f.jpeg0E57EECE-93DD-4B37-8C9C-72F6301114F6.jpeg.885ee38a3ec60649e0d07cc6ba9a306d.jpeg

The next job is to take out the trees, or make collars for them, so I don’t get the grass onto them.

To be continued!

• Like 5

Looking better, I tend to blend mixes so they aren’t straight out of the packet.

The other process is not to fully blend the colours together so you get ‘blotches’ of colour as most grass areas are not one uniform colour unless it is a manicured lawn!!!!

And don’t forget grass rarely grows under trees or hedges.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Looking better, I tend to blend mixes so they aren’t straight out of the packet.

The other process is not to fully blend the colours together so you get ‘blotches’ of colour as most grass areas are not one uniform colour unless it is a manicured lawn!!!!

And don’t forget grass rarely grows under trees or hedges.

Yes of course, thanks Kevin.

On 26/11/2019 at 06:44, Neal Ball said:

The Dapol Mogul....

Do I need one.... need / want it’s a bit if a conundrum!

3F8D8F9F-5C46-4919-8321-66AD15B9B459.jpeg.cb0347ac97b6840945da4ae4e83a8d96.jpeg

The Dapol stand was busy every time I went past on Saturday and it looked as if all the boxes were O gauge, I couldn’t see the display cabinets due to the amount of people clambering round. Now having seen the photos on the Dapol thread and now the image above from the Hatton’s website, it looks a pretty good looking loco.

Essentially it looks to be next Summer (straight after we get back from Nashville & New Orleans) and around the time of mums 80th birthday! At either £136 or £264 for the factory fitted sound. (Which then includes factory fitted firebox flicker).

I have no experience of the Dapol DCC sounds.... I’m trying to justify the sound version.... clearly. 

I will then also need to check what allocation there was around the area and then what sort of trains it would be hauling through the Thames valley. Local stopper perhaps....

Now if it was a new 57xx that would be a no brainier! 

Hattons link here, having nicked their photo!  https://www.hattons.co.uk/333463/dapol_4s_043_002_class_43xx_mogul_2_6_0_6385_in_gwr_green_with_shirtbutton_emblem/stockdetail.aspx

And  the sound fitted here:  https://www.hattons.co.uk/333465/dapol_4s_043_002s_class_43xx_mogul_2_6_0_6385_in_gwr_green_with_shirtbutton_emblem_dcc_sound_fitt/stockdetail.aspx

If great music is your thing, check out my buddy Stacy Mitchhart while your in Nashville. He plays BB Kings most Monday night's and Bourbon St blues and bogie bar in Printers Alley most Wednesdays, Thursday's and Fridays .he and his band are awesome.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Yes of course, thanks Kevin.

One other thought.

To assist in getting my grass to stand up I do go over it with a hand held vacuum cleaner held as close as possible without actually touching whilst the gluing is still drying.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

One other thought.

To assist in getting my grass to stand up I do go over it with a hand held vacuum cleaner held as close as possible without actually touching whilst the gluing is still drying.

Peter Mariott suggested that as well, he recommended the Woodland scenics one.... 

My railway vacuum is a Black and Decker 12v hand held. But I use it everywhere, so it would be clean to re-use the grass.... I guess I need a new cleaner...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Denbridge said:

If great music is your thing, check out my buddy Stacy Mitchhart while your in Nashville. He plays BB Kings most Monday night's and Bourbon St blues and bogie bar in Printers Alley most Wednesdays, Thursday's and Fridays .he and his band are awesome.

Excellent thank you @Denbridge