Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Its strange that the loco will not move at all. Its equally strange that the gaugemaster guy queried the use of 39 when its a direct grab from the digitrax ready reckoner! I wonder if the Ruby is just a re badge.

A question........have you been able to run the loco  with a four digit address....albeit in the wrong direction?

If the answer is yes......then what was the Cv 29 value.

If you now reprogramme by adding 1 to that value all should be well.

Its 11.10 pm here.......I will be back in the morning

Good luck

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, john dew said:

Its strange that the loco will not move at all. Its equally strange that the gaugemaster guy queried the use of 39 when its a direct grab from the digitrax ready reckoner! I wonder if the Ruby is just a re badge.

A question........have you been able to run the loco  with a four digit address....albeit in the wrong direction?

Good luck

John

Thanks John,

I can’t read current CV values on my controller...... or at least I’ve not found how to do that. Will search on line.

Good night, Neal. 
(Where it’s 08:39 as the sun is rising over the Med)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, john dew said:

Good luck

John

All sorted! Thanks for the suggestion about reading the Cv values John.

On the Prodigy handset, there is an option to Read the decoder, by then using the shift key, you can toggle through the different CV values.

CV29 read 38, so by changing it to 39 the loco now moves forward under its own 4 digit loco number. I'm sure I tried this before, but this time it appears to be working. Initially, I also tried adjusting other CV values, clearly I tried to change too many at the same time.

Now that it runs forward when required, I will look at the other settings. I would like it to accelerate very slowly and then have a slow top speed. When I last tried, it was like a rat up a drain pipe! More work required here!

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning Neal

No sun rising over the Rockies here.......its dull grey and wet!

So glad you got that sorted.

Not sure how familiar you are with the speed Cvs so forgive me if I am attempting to  teach Grandma etc.

Cv 3 controls acceleration and Cv 4 deceleration/ braking. If you increase the value of 3 you will slow the rate of acceleration

Cv 5 is max speed......On Granby there are no opportunities to run realistically at more than scale 40 mph.

I set Cv 5 for my panniers at 90 which gives a max speed of 28 mph

Having established an appropriate max speed I adjust the value of Cv 6, mid point speed. Using the pannier example setting Cv 6 at 45 (50% of Cv 5) will create a straight line speed curve  with the mid point speed at 14 mph

I prefer a concave curve where more speed notches are concentrated at the lower end......this provides smoother acceleration at lower speeds......typically I would set a a Pannier Cv 6 at 60 (66% of Cv 5) giving a mid point speed of about 11 mph

There are far more sophisticated methods but this works for me. I should add the numbers I have used apply to Lenz decoders , which are in most of my locos, but the principles/ratios will apply to all good decoders albeit with perhaps different values

Cheers

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, john dew said:

Good Morning Neal

No sun rising over the Rockies here.......its dull grey and wet!

So glad you got that sorted.

Not sure how familiar you are with the speed Cvs so forgive me if I am attempting to  teach Grandma etc.

Cv 3 controls acceleration and Cv 4 deceleration/ braking. If you increase the value of 3 you will slow the rate of acceleration

Cv 5 is max speed......On Granby there are no opportunities to run realistically at more than scale 40 mph.

I set Cv 5 for my panniers at 90 which gives a max speed of 28 mph

Having established an appropriate max speed I adjust the value of Cv 6, mid point speed. Using the pannier example setting Cv 6 at 45 (50% of Cv 5) will create a straight line speed curve  with the mid point speed at 14 mph

I prefer a concave curve where more speed notches are concentrated at the lower end......this provides smoother acceleration at lower speeds......typically I would set a a Pannier Cv 6 at 60 (66% of Cv 5) giving a mid point speed of about 11 mph

There are far more sophisticated methods but this works for me. I should add the numbers I have used apply to Lenz decoders , which are in most of my locos, but the principles/ratios will apply to all good decoders albeit with perhaps different values

Cheers

John

Thats great John thank you again.

I don't normally mess with the CV settings, so you are definitely not teaching me to suck eggs - thank you! I looked earlier this week at the speed curves, but obviously hit the wrong one, that stopped it working properly.

I will have a look tomorrow and see what I can set.

(Now the builders have finished, tomorrow we are putting up the tree and decorations etc.)

Thanks again, Neal.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal

The Ruby, like many,  comes with built in speed curves ......hopefully they are described somewhere in the manual....if you want to use them you will need to change  Cv 29 again.....set at 39 they are disabled

Personally, I prefer the rather crude manipulation of Cvs 2,5 and 6 that I described earlier.....although I should add that I use RR&Co Train Controller so I can see the speed curve my manipulations have produced when the loco is profiled.....thats how I know the scale speeds I referred to.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

5 years ago today:

I launched my Henley on Thames project onto RMWeb, with photos of track laid on the floor of the new Railway room. That wasn’t my first foray on RMWeb, my previous layout also graced these pages. The move to Felpham, West Sussex finally gave me the opportunity to finally realise the long held ambition of building Henley.

A lot has happened in the space of the last 5 years..... which of course included cutting it in half and transporting it several thousand miles south when we moved to Spain.

5 years of stats:

In those five years, the page has racked up 54,496 views; 681 replies; 61 followers and 27 pages of content.

Last Christmas I didn’t record the numbers, but it ran to 18 pages.

However the year before: Dec 28th 2017 I recorded 26147views and stated that it had jumped just under 9000 in that year. Henley was on 15 pages at that time.

Thank you:

To all the followers and contributors for Henley, I thank you all and hope that in some way my tales have proved inspirational.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Looking ahead to 2020

....and the next 5 years.....

Lots of parts of Henley on Thames to complete (it will never be finished!), hopefully though it will include more time to enjoy the railway and play!

But before then:

Theres also a few new skills to be learnt - airgun spraying.

Its business as normal at Henley this afternoon as GWR 2-8-0 47xx no 4704 is seen at the stop blocks on Platform 1

459F5648-A800-4F03-A186-1B67234DA83A.jpeg.0b3023ebd1f5682a1654c95931fe3feb.jpeg

94A25139-65C6-4888-9AA4-619BE2C61744.jpeg.6a732c6c1bf3a98c6a6df4a2a5ea49e8.jpeg

and then at the end of the platform with my new static grass in the background - and also in the photo below....

8A49BFD0-3B83-4781-A90C-BD48B8C75C6C.jpeg.371d32b90d97675f96e334b442ec2683.jpeg

There is a bit more to do in this area, but the Woodland Scenics static grass really does make a difference.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Merry Christmas from Henley on Thames:

To all the followers of this thread - thank you for another year, have a great Christmas and a happy New Year.

Hall class loco Rood Ashton hall is seen at Platform 1 at Henley on Thames:

366485411_Xmas2019r.jpg.a8bb5245ed12d6d698c60c1ccb48f271.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy Christmas to you too.

I walked past the end of Henley Station about a month ago, and seeing it and comparing it to its former glory in your model just made me a little sad.  Hope you have a good year of modelling next year.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Happy Christmas to you too.

I walked past the end of Henley Station about a month ago, and seeing it and comparing it to its former glory in your model just made me a little sad.  Hope you have a good year of modelling next year.

Thanks Chris. 

The current station is not a patch on former glories..... I wonder what the passenger numbers are these days - all handled by a 2 car DMU.

In 2020 I have my sights on rebuilding the station building.... that should keep me busy!

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I too have received a parcel from Modelu ( @KNP has just received some new loco drivers). 

However, my parcel contained our scans from Warley.... they are great! I hope I can do them justice in getting them painted up. I left it too late to get Akan to send them over to Claudia direct.

61A4ABC9-6EB2-4E2A-AB06-9023E69750DE.jpeg.460d68cc9b2c37eb199a1c74bc0144ec.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had a bit of a track cleaning session this afternoon, followed by a couple of trains running.

We have some friends coming over tomorrow who were fascinated by the DCC sounds on my locos. They had watched the James May programme and were talking about the Synchro sound on old Hornby models. DCC sound is very different.

1D32DE48-6224-40B8-9C7F-E92AFCF9A901.jpeg.2563ca7ba891e5fa1f14f758419a421a.jpeg

Rood Ashton Hall and King James I are seen at Henley. (Both are sound fitted and still need a bit of weathering)

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

We have had house guests for a few days, so there hasn't been much progress to report at Henley.

I have however had a chance to build a copy of the Hobbyzone drawer and paint pot unit, which are marketed by Hattons. They are very easy to put together and I hope the finished items will be useful.

Happy New Year to all the followers at Henley, here's to lots of productive modelling in 2020 and a plethora of useful models from Hornby on 6th Jan!

Hobbyzone_drawers.jpg.5e9238ec9e26fe2b1a6d6ecc2b941902.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, KNP said:

Or is it a shortbread biscuit holder?

Sadly no! 

I was going to get some Quality street tins before Christmas 2 tins @12€ but we missed the opportunity and didn't get any shortbread instead :-( After the commotion earlier at Little Muddle, I need to get some!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Today’s the day!

That Hornby announce their range for 2020, with apparently a few surprises.

In 1 1/2 hours time, will it be a case of ....... interesting developments..... but nothing for me here? Or will it be a case of pre-ordering a new Collet Restaurant carriage and a new Full Brake to match.... how many do I need?

This year is billed as Hornby’s 100th year....

In any case, I will enjoy thumbing through the 2020 catalogue, which is something I have done since the 1970’s. I know there’s no need these days, but it’s nice to flick through.

We will see....

It will also be good to take delivery of a new 61xx soon for Henley, these apparently are on the ship at the moment. Although I still might need to wait for the GWR shirt button liveried ones.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/12/2019 at 20:05, Neal Ball said:

Sadly no! 

I was going to get some Quality street tins before Christmas 2 tins @12€ but we missed the opportunity and didn't get any shortbread instead :-( After the commotion earlier at Little Muddle, I need to get some!

4 euros at our local ExPats supermarket now!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Today’s the day!

That Hornby announce their range for 2020, with apparently a few surprises.

In 1 1/2 hours time, will it be a case of ....... interesting developments..... but nothing for me here? Or will it be a case of pre-ordering a new Collet Restaurant carriage and a new Full Brake to match.... how many do I need?

This year is billed as Hornby’s 100th year....

In any case, I will enjoy thumbing through the 2020 catalogue, which is something I have done since the 1970’s. I know there’s no need these days, but it’s nice to flick through.

We will see....

It will also be good to take delivery of a new 61xx soon for Henley, these apparently are on the ship at the moment. Although I still might need to wait for the GWR shirt button liveried ones.

Oh! Well that saves me a few £ this year.....

It's just the 61xx for me then.... mind you, Hornby have promised a huge release schedule for 2020, lets hope they have a couple of new factories to produce it all.

I wouldn't mind Lode Star though:

439099850_Lodestarloco.jpg.98c8dfb01b9cc96db686b6c473e73c75.jpg

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Shame there's not much for us GW fans. Maybe another year. (Bicentenary in 2035 but that's a bit long to wait!)

Indeed, but its easier on the wallet!

There is an awful lot for Hornby to get through the factories this year - surely loads will slip into 2021.

I'm surprised there were 2 or 3 LNER express locos.....

Maybe Bachmann will deliver...

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ribird said:

I did see that Hornby re-released the B-set coaches in post-war livery (do correct me if I'm wrong there)

I don't think thats a new tooling; pretty sure they are the old Airfix ones again....

• Agree 3