Neal Ball

Henley on Thames - GWR in the 1930's

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 11:49, Neal Ball said:

With 3 x DCC sound locos running yesterday, it was very tempting to get out a couple of the sound Castles class locos, but by that stage time was getting on and I decided against.

I now have sound locos fitted with the following sound files:

2 x Castle and 1 x King class locos: Howes sound; esu decoders.

1 x Hall loco: Olivias sound - fitted by Hattons, not sure what the base decoder is. (Its not been added into the Sprog3 roster yet)

1 x Castle with Hornby TTS sound.

2 x 61xx Zimo decoder and Youchoos sound.

On the diesel front (not 1930's GWR, so they rarely get a mention here!)

Class 52 Western locos: 1 x Howes sound; 1 x Youchoos sound

Class 50: Hornby TTS sound

Class 43 HST set: Hornby TTS sound

I decided against having sound in the smaller locos, but with the 64xx running around yesterday, it would be very tempting to add it.... although how I would squeeze it in I don't know!

I am trying to hold off buying a class 121 DMU... but it would be easy to justify adding sound to one of the GWR streamlined railcars... although I have 3, plus there is the Heljan one due out in a few months(?) it could prove very expensive!

The Dapol 43xx on order will be sound fitted by Dapol. I think the delivery of these have slipped back to October or so..... Fine by me, it does look like a nice loco.

Hi Neal,

I agree that running several sound fitted steamers together is very good.

Glad to see someone else not afraid to own up to non steam era running!

By careful choice and placement of railway infrastructure and scenic items outside the railway I aim to run three eras:- 1960/2 1990/2 and 2014/6.

I would have gone for 2018/20, or even 2020/2, to have 30 year intervals, but the overhead infrastructure post 2015 is too difficult to cope with! I do have to claim rule 1 as there will be sidings in my layout that were in reality removed in the 70s, but at least Maidenhead Goods Shed can be in place, when running the 1990/2 era. I just have to make it removable so it is gone for the 2014/16 running!

Re your Class 52s, which model are they. I have a Dapol 52 and a Heljan one. When the latter is chipped I'll try to video a comparison between the two!

I had better get back on thread before someone moans about outside era content!!,

Keep up the good work on Henley

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Neal,

I agree that running several sound fitted steamers together is very good.

Glad to see someone else not afraid to own up to non steam era running!

By careful choice and placement of railway infrastructure and scenic items outside the railway I aim to run three eras:- 1960/2 1990/2 and 2014/6.

I would have gone for 2018/20, or even 2020/2, to have 30 year intervals, but the overhead infrastructure post 2015 is too difficult to cope with! I do have to claim rule 1 as there will be sidings in my layout that were in reality removed in the 70s, but at least Maidenhead Goods Shed can be in place, when running the 1990/2 era. I just have to make it removable so it is gone for the 2014/16 running!

Re your Class 52s, which model are they. I have a Dapol 52 and a Heljan one. When the latter is chipped I'll try to video a comparison between the two!

I had better get back on thread before someone moans about outside era content!!,

Keep up the good work on Henley

Cheers

Paul

Morning Paul, as you say its good to run several sound fitted models together, although it also gets very loud at times!

Good luck with getting all the different infrastructure sorted out, clearly it would be a nightmare if you had to add / remove OLE as well!

My class 52's are also Heljan and Dapol - the Heljan is Howes sound and the Dapol You Choos.

I seem to recall that someone has already commented (on a different thread), that it's as if Howes have fallen behind in the sound file stakes.... the You Choos files, have so much more on offer with their sound and operational interest.

Good luck with Maidenhead.

Regards, Neal.

• Like 3

Yesterday I continued adding the locos into the Sprog3 roster and sorting out any minor issues. 

This included adjusting the relevant speed curves, just to see how the different locos are going to perform etc.

There's more work to do yet.

But there is an issue with the Sprog which I need to look at the users forum. Every time I open the program up, it's showing an error message.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

......there is an issue with the Sprog which I need to look at the users forum. Every time I open the program up, it's showing an error message.

All sorted - shall we just say "Read the help pages!"

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

One of the locos that was being logged into Decoder Pro / Sprog yesterday was my 48xx, which at the sometime, was renumbered to 4807.

4807 48xx r.jpg

• Like 9

6132 makes a fine sight as it sits at Platform 2.... my Modelu order was despatched yesterday, so should arrive the early part of next week, I can then have a couple of days of sorting crew out for all the locos.

1660212940_61xx6132r.jpg.3adcc3d49cf0974fd1ec5dad28caca40.jpg

• Like 14

Lovely looking layout - certainly a lot more interest in your depiction than its current real life guise! 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

Lovely looking layout - certainly a lot more interest in your depiction than its current real life guise! 

Thanks for that. Yes, the modern railway at Henley is a shadow of its former self - I believe its called progress :-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

All sorted - shall we just say "Read the help pages!"

I was going to say that if all else fails Andrew Crosland himself is extraordinarily helpful.

Usual disclaimer.

• Thanks 1

Its been one of those frustrating days!

Castle class 4-6-0 No 4082 Windsor Castle & TTS decoder:

When I was checking some locos a couple of days ago and adding them to the DecoderPro / Sprog3 setup, it was apparent this loco still runs in reverse.... There is a setting in DecoderPro to change it easily and I made a note to check it was correct when back on the track. Maybe I didn't save the setting, or maybe it just didn't want to know.

Either way, it didn't work, so I set to and tried to change CV29 - That didn't work either.

When I first picked the loco up today, it had set itself to loco no 21 instead of 4082.

I have made a note of the default values of CV29 and it should have been easy to add 1, but maybe this is part of the limitations of the TTS decoder......

All was not lost, as I managed to increase the background and running volume and also 2 of the 3 whistle volumes. 

TTS Steam sound:

This is my only TTS steam decoder and the sound is very tinny. In stereo terms, it seems to have too much treble. I don't know if this is the limitation of the decoder or the speaker - Or a case of you pay for what you get! Any suggestions would be welcome.

The other thing I discovered is that my other Castle that runs backwards, is also originally a Tintagel Castle (now renumbered), the same as this Castle which was originally Tintagel. 

Clearly I need to reverse the pick-up wires into the decoder plug, but I should also be able to do it through CV29 - Ho hum!

The wish list:

I then started to make up a list of the other locos that now need sound.... its a long list! (I don't have as many sound locos as I would like.) Which means it would be a very expensive project - I need to get some referral fees from house sales in Spain!

Clearly TBC

• Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

TTS Steam sound:

This is my only TTS steam decoder and the sound is very tinny. In stereo terms,

Speaker!  I swapped my TTS fitted speaker for a decent one and the sound improved dramatically, and base was very satisfying.

• Like 1