Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Hmm - Yes - Both from DCC concepts, the Swan neck and the Gas ones... left over from the last layout. I think Swan neck might be wrong for Henley. :-(

I don't think there were any swan neck lamps at all on the platforms at Henley in the late 1950s and most of the gas lamps then looked as if they had been there for a very long time.  

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there were any swan neck lamps at all on the platforms at Henley in the late 1950s and most of the gas lamps then looked as if they had been there for a very long time.  

As I thought to be honest Mike, They will then get replaced over time.... back dating to Oil lamps... in the DCC Concepts range as I would like working lamps.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comments from Simon Kohler in a recent blog of his:

2023 Note: There was a link here* to presumably SK announcement that he was leaving - he returned years later, then left again in 2023! (*Since been removed from the Hornby site)

I have wondered this year with the almost constant announcements from Hornby, will there be a 2016 announcement in a few weeks time? - Dec 17th, or 24th; 26th or Jan 1st - all have been tried recently.

Maybe with the new order, we will continue to be drip fed product launches in future.. being drip fed every month, rather than waiting for a specific date to launch it all at in one go.

Not a bad idea eh? - But I do like collecting the annual magazine :-)

Oh and this is not a frothing list :-)

2023 Note: Changes within Hornby didnt make any difference to the Annual Hornby announcement at the start of a new year. Whilst we have seen Hornby produce Collett carriages, for which thank you. Generally the GWR modeller has not had endless new tooling like the LNER enthusiast.

Maybe with SK now gone for a second time, we at last might get some new tooling GWR locos - Saint class 4-6-0 or a Pannier tank 0-6-0PT perhaps.

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 - updated
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today has seen more work on the Platforms. Specifically Platform 3 and 4 (the Bay), plus the loading and cattle dock. I'm very pleased with the progress.

Hopefully tomorrow, the cattle dock will start to look as if its ready to receive its first customers! I have stripped the parts off the Ratio cattle dock and will be re-using everything to make the new dock. I was surprised about how few photos of actual GWR cattle docks are on the web. Even in the OPC Great Western Architecture book, there is one page of plans and a photo where the dock is shown in the distance. I'm going to make two areas, joined with a passage across the back to get lorry access. It's not helped as the dock gives way to a coal office, so I am incorporating a walkway through to some steps.

14-11-15-CattleDockrr.jpg.d994dd7a7b4226ee5538161d4671a983.jpg

The Cattle Dock is seen here being the cobbled area to the front. The coal shed is a model that was already in the box from the old railway. Given this shed is locked between two tracks, how did they service any customers? Where did they discharge their coal? Wonder if it's Toomers or C & G Ayres or one of the other coal merchants for the town. In total there are four coal merchants offices, all of which will be modelled. 

2023 Note: I finally built the cattle dock in 2023! It is now complete with some hand painted sheep. 

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 - photos updated
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The white band will be covered up when the brick facing gets extended over. Plus on Platforms 1, 2 & 3 I am going to add the customary paving slab facing.

I couldn't resist adding some lights... which of course they then had to be wired up. Seen here with Castle class loco 4-6-0 Tregenna Castle standing in what will become Platform 2 & 3.

14-11-15TregennaCastle-r2.jpg.df2d1451342443fa18d4e0e0b5720fea.jpg

Tomorrow, I need to open out the holes in the baseboard underneath the Platforms for the lamps as I think they are a bit tight. It's not easy to get the small hole in the Platform face to line up with a hole beneath....

I also need to get Platform 1 and 2 faced and then the edges finished on all the platforms. You never know I might get the cattle dock done as well! 

edit: I almost forgot - one difference model to reality will be running in boards... Henley only received running in boards in the 1950's, I am going to add them from the start.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Had a busy day on the railway.....

Platforms 1, 2, 3 and 4 are now all surfaced and glued to their base. 1 & 2 need edging to complete, 3, 4 and the dock now have their brick edging / paving complete.

Plus I have started the running in boards, but can't find my posts. So for the time being the names are drying - hence being on this stand. Seen here in from of Tregenna Castle in Platform 2 & 3. (The brick edging is a bit wavy, need to sort that out!)

15-11-15Henleyrunninginboardsrr.jpg.63d93af1e9bb67edea4b9b36239192fc.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The platform lamps look to good effect in Platforms 1/2 and 3/4 with Tregenna Castle and Caerphilly Castle waiting to depart.

15-11-15platformsrr.jpg.7f86be95407efe59eda4b1338f638fcf.jpg

Busy scene at Henley this evening with two Castles and a 61xx about to leave with various departures.

15-11-15platforms2rr.jpg.98f547bc00f3fad2a5a2d14f3b18e791.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 14

Had a busy day on the railway.....

Plus I have started the running in boards, but can't find my posts. So for the time being the names are drying - hence being on this stand. Seen here in from of Tregenna Castle in Platform 2 & 3. (The brick edging is a bit wavy, need to sort that out!)

attachicon.gif15-11-15 Henley running in boards rr.jpg

All looking good Neal. Romping away. How have you made the running in boards? Kit or homemade printing? If printed, how?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal, looks like you are on a roll.

Those platforms are very nice indeed. They add a lot to the sense of depth.

Your photos make a very good case for the DCC concept lamps. Just when I thought I had resisted them  :)

• RMweb Premium

All looking good Neal. Romping away. How have you made the running in boards? Kit or homemade printing? If printed, how?

Rich

Thanks Rich, quite simple really, did a Google search for a running in board taken square on, then did the rest in Photoshop. I printed three sizes out, but then realised I had taken a photo of the only remaining one at Henley and counted how many paving stones were underneath to settle on the size.

The print out was then stuck on both sides to stiff card and will be cut out and put between the posts I have (somewhere). I think the posts many years ago were either Chris Leigh castings, or Mikes Models. They are in a box somewhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neal, looks like you are on a roll.

Those platforms are very nice indeed. They add a lot to the sense of depth.

Your photos make a very good case for the DCC concept lamps. Just when I thought I had resisted them  :)

Thanks Mikkel, The photos show up the Platform imperfections and show where I need to add more glue under the edging...

The DCC Concepts lamps look very good, although I think they are turned up too bright at the moment, but are very easy to adjust. Being gas I guess they should have a nice glow to them, which of course you wouldn't notice, so turn them up bright for the effect!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Caerphilly Castle has been simmering at the end of Platforms 2/3 while I was working on the ground-work for the station carpark.

Loads of work needs to be done in this area yet, for a start the ramp needs top be fixed in place and then the coping stones need fixing on Platform 1/2. But there is always an excuse to get one of my sound fitted Castles out.

I'm very pleased with the running-in board.

21-11-15CaerphillyCastlerr.jpg.7aed3a6bc76a0ecded0af9039337a036.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Todays progress - Platforms now all done.

All the lamps are in, although some of the wires came off, so I need to do some soldering now.... plus there is one lamp where I have lost the longer lead. They are +/- and need to be the right way round.

• Like 1

Todays progress - Platforms now all done.

All the lamps are in, although some of the wires came off, so I need to do some soldering now.... plus there is one lamp where I have lost the longer lead. They are +/- and need to be the right way round.

Yes, have I've had similar experience. They are a bit fragile / I am ham fisted - a couple I damaged beyond repair. But when in and on, they do look good. 

• RMweb Premium

Evening guys,

Should any of the followers of this thread be going to Warley this weekend and see any new announced products with the right shade of green, please feel to post on here.

I will be missing the show this year and after a 5km run in the morning will be spending the day working on Henley.

Have a good weekend to everyone that attends the NEC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The model railway room has taken on a different appearance over the last couple of weeks. It has been painted from top to bottom with white emulsion, which has certainly made it a lot brighter. At the same time, the last couple of windows have been sorted out. The first one was boarded up from the inside, which will present a better back-drop for the station area, the second window was double glazed on the inside. Then all the remaining windows, were covered with plywood up to about 300mm. This will present a better backscene and also means that none of the neighbours can see inside quite so easily. The backscene's have been painted white and blue to provide a neutral background. I used two sample pots of B & Q blue emulsion, with B & Q white. The two colours were not completely mixed, meaning some dips of the paint brush had more white than Blue. This was also dry brushed with the white to vary the shades and give the appearance of a cloudy sky.

post-6981-0-19059700-1449414297_thumb.jpg

Following a huge tidy up after the painting I started to work out the position of the turntable. Clearly with so much needing to be done in the far corner, it will be easier to do with nothing to knock in front of it. I need to depart from the prototype to have the operational interest around the turntable. The table originally was only 55ft long, which meant anything larger than a Star had to go to Reading to be turned. Quite apart from the fact that since the 1920's it was very seldom used as reportedly, it was cracked and didn't turn very easily. It was also a traditional GWR over-girder type.

My solution will be to use the Peco model, which will accommodate even the largest of my locos. I have also re-arranged the tracks radiating off, which will have the two larger tracks moved from the town-side to the country-side of the layout. There will still be two sidings at the town end, but these will be for Pannier tanks only.

I need to add extra tracks into the area, together with more cork underneath the tracks. There will be an extra road beside the engine shed, which typically was for the Loco Coal wagon. (Henley did not have a useable coaling stage by the 1930's.)

I have also started to ballast the track. It's not something I enjoy, its usually very tedious, even with my new ballast gadget,

More to follow.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I have an interesting conundrum this evening... despite the fact that I am still trying to build the model of Henley, this is clearly a small diversion.

For a birthday present, I have been given the Bachmann WR Autocoach in Carmine and Cream, which looks great. I have had it apart to check out how to get lights and passengers inside. The conundrum is - do I paint in Chocolate and Cream, with GWR shirt button and ignore the fact it wasn't built until 194X, or leave it as BR Carmine & Cream...... Given I don't count the rivets, I'm inclined to do the former, with passengers, semi coupled to the 64xx with DCC lighting.... (to include headlamps). What do you think?

The 64xx would be similarly treated with the GWR shirt button / Roundel, although it's got top feed...

post-6981-0-02837400-1449524327_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have an interesting conundrum this evening... despite the fact that I am still trying to build the model of Henley, this is clearly a small diversion.

For a birthday present, I have been given the Bachmann WR Autocoach in Carmine and Cream, which looks great. I have had it apart to check out how to get lights and passengers inside. The conundrum is - do I paint in Chocolate and Cream, with GWR shirt button and ignore the fact it wasn't built until 194X, or leave it as BR Carmine & Cream...... Given I don't count the rivets, I'm inclined to do the former, with passengers, semi coupled to the 64xx with DCC lighting.... (to include headlamps). What do you think?

The 64xx would be similarly treated with the GWR shirt button / Roundel, although it's got top feed...

attachicon.gif64xx & Autocoach rr.jpg

Ooooh so much in common!

I wouldn't dare give a view on whether to repaint the coach or not, but if it were me and I had a chocolate and cream version with a shirtbutton, even though the diagram version was 1940s, I know I would run it.

My 64xx is going to be changed to shirt button even though it has a top feed. Rule number 1!!!

Your progress is great.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

As promised, a few photos of the new loco depot area. Working on it is not easy, I'm standing on a tall stool and leaning on the layout.... I really need to get all this area finished before continuing to work on the station.... 

The station road is over to the far left, where I need to build the Coal office and the advertising hoardings that stand in this area.

I am taking a few liberties in the area as the roads off the turntable are a lot longer than the prototype, this will allow a Castle on two of the roads, plus a Pannier / Prairie on two of the opposing roads.

post-6981-0-28782600-1450033908_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-08181500-1450033927_thumb.jpg

Nothing is wired up yet, I am hoping to do it tomorrow night. The local shed / Turntable area will have it's own DCC bus, together with short circuit protection.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thats the peco turntable didn't you say? How are you motorising it? Or aren't you?

It looks good Neal.

You found the same as me today: working at the rear of the board is hard work.

It's also a bit dangerous... I have wedged the stool with my work box, to stop it moving, i don't fancy falling onto the layout!

Yes its the Peco turntable, which needs brick added to the walls, which should have been done before i started adding the tracks. Because of he position, its not practical to have it as manual operation, so i needs to motorise it. I will pop into Gaugemaster at some point and see what they have.

I will then add all the scenery etc. into that area so i don't need to stand on the stool again!

• RMweb Premium

Neal,

Have you thought of this motorising kit? It relies on visual alignment of the tracks with each use, which might be poblematic if the turntable is at the back of the layout. However it has proved better in use than the previous version, which used plastic gears which kept dropping out of alignment.

http://locomotech.com/index.html

• Like 1