Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Thanks Phil,

Strangely, I've found it to be the other way round! The Castle sound seems to be muffled, whereas the Railcar sounds pretty good!

It will be interesting to compare your Railcar sounds with my No 17. 

As it happens, I'm currently working on a MX645R YouChoos Castle sound installation in Lode Star so we can compare Castle with Star as well!

(I've cut more out of Lode Star's tender than I've ever done before to get the speaker I want in...  :scared:)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

As it happens, I'm currently working on a MX645R YouChoos Castle sound installation in Lode Star so we can compare Castle with Star as well!

(I've cut more out of Lode Star's tender than I've ever done before to get the speaker I want in...  :scared:)

I often wonder what the guys in China would make of the way the locos they have put together get carved about!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I've been working on my lights today.

Unfortunately one strip of the LED have started to give top the ghost. I have therefore replaced them with (at the moment) 2 x 900mm LED tubes, rated at 1200w each. I need a third one to complete the set-up.

I am very pleased with the result. I have also done a couple of short videos which I will post tomorrow. Neither of the photos have been adjusted in Afinity, other than to add my name.

1876171175_RoodAshtonHall29-1-21Br.jpg.3cb92134a46d73c6ec286776efd016a3.jpg

2066872470_RoodAshtonHall29-1-21Cr.jpg.3fad58dd29a6524bdc6a10a312070ec7.jpg

915655387_RoodAshtonHall29-1-21r.jpg.74b1536c25936b65684a388c9896cc1e.jpg

edited 1/4/22 after the RMWeb server issues. I rather like this loco. It's a Bachmann Hall of course, which in terms of its moulding is way beyond its sell-by-date, but from the normal viewing distance it is still a good loco.

Edited by Neal Ball
April 2022 photos changed
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've been adjusting and painting up some Ratio telegraph poles, whilst waiting for my Hattons / DHL parcel.

They are now installed on the layout. The standard pole comes with 4 arms, I needed an extra arm, so did a bit of cut and shut. I was left with a couple of poles with only 2 arms and these are being used from the signal box to the station - although I need about 4 more poles to get there!

GWR 4-6-0 Caerphilly Castle is seen slumbering outside the signal box. Thankfully he wasn't there too long, I suspect the signalman would not be happy if he was there too long.

882952823_4073CaerphillyCastle30-1-21br.jpg.dfffffe867e2b9c6f650f1d82297cee2.jpg

498048022_4073CaerphillyCastle30-1-21r.jpg.8b15dd9522155570774851356a6c924a.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I'm convincing myself I don't need one.....

187307455_Manor-7828CookhamManor-r.jpg.de0240821e831fbbee7c460e04d28575.jpg

This is one of my 'photos taken at Didcot during 2001.

In the meantime, my parcel has finally arrived; having been stuck in customs for a week. So I am off to have a look at the railway 🙂

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed - Of course I subsequently ordered a Manor!
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

After almost a month, I now have my signalling project....

It look 3 weeks to get the PX parcel to get from here to Hattons in Widnes and then a week for the new items to arrive back in Spain. In this direction we were using DHL, on their 1 to 2 day service... It seemed that it was in Customs at Alicante for ages.

1 new home signal; 3 brackets (2 arms) and 1 bracket with just one arm. This will be used as the starter for platform 3.

At the same time I am going to home the advance starter by Mill lane Bridge and swap it for a round post advance starter. It seems that everyone is out of stock of the square post signals. The current signal at Mill Lane, will move to the inner home position, with the addition of a route indicator box.

Before: 

151474713_Downouterhome-before.jpg.a8ec832e40d7dce59f8e64a8c8696dda.jpg

106201850_Innerhome-before.jpg.3286e5d3077464ae2b825c739cc879e1.jpg1444348296_Platform1and2before.jpg.a2c76ab28149f7fb8213870c37107ea8.jpg

And the Dapol signals in position:

479287417_Downouterhome.jpg.7ec7df8400090fd499f2bd23f805d7ae.jpg

165211810_Innerhome-after.jpg.b0b0617a5a3bcb93677d82458f3735d3.jpg

151161342_MillLaneouterhome.jpg.d739960b297737500a9c7c354e0683da.jpg

458964068_Newsignals1.jpg.f5af8755d16042849e501f75e6627d61.jpg

1375640836_Platform1and2after.jpg.7fce84eac000ba4523d1aa99b6934b24.jpg

1517656079_Platform3starter.jpg.07dbb429a53f1d4e5317747e41a777bb.jpg

Ive been using the Airfix Centenary carriages, together with a BR Mk3 as gauging tools! As can be seen, I had to build up the ground a little bit for the signal to sit on.

At this stage, it's only placed in position, Ive not connected it up yet.

Edited by Neal Ball
photos updated
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been bidding this evening on eBay for an album of @160 photos of the Henley branch - sadly at £80.50 I thought it was getting too high and left the automated bid to it.

It would have been interesting as the preview showed a lot of unusual photos.... but I wasn't prepared to keep going in those last few minutes.

Onwards and upwards! 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Dapol signals part 2:

(After the Rmweb server issues in March 2022, all the photos have been added into the previous post)

I managed to get the hole in for the 2nd signal before leaving the railway room. I have had to change the location of the signal slightly in order to avoid a point motor.

This signal controls the access to Platform 1; the loco yard and the blank post would have given access to Platform 2.  At the real station, the arm on the left post was removed in 1932.

I am hoping to add a left bracket and a blank signal post to keep this unusual feature of the branch. I have already test fitted a Ratio post and compared the size.... they are different 😞

Behind these signals, you can see the starter signals on Platform 1 and 2 - all of which will be replaced.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I really must get some more for Brent, the problem is whenever I do some selling to fund it I find something else to spend on instead!

I really need to find a way to interlock it all with my tortoise motors so that the correct signals are shown for the route that Ive set the points to.

8 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I've been bidding this evening on eBay for an album of @160 photos of the Henley branch - sadly at £80.50 I thought it was getting too high and left the automated bid to it.

It would have been interesting as the preview showed a lot of unusual photos.... but I wasn't prepared to keep going in those last few minutes.

Onwards and upwards! 

I have found this a few times, most annoying as I have no interest in owning the physical document / photo, I just want an electronic copy.  
I have thought a few time about bidding a lot higher than I plan in order to obtain them, scan and then resell.  My worry is that without me bidding it won’t fetch the same sort of price!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Interesting comments Rich.

Re: Dapol signals:

I dont' know how you would be able to get them to interlock etc. It might be better to scratch build signals and then add separate servos onto them.

I know what you mean about changed priorities though - I always said I wasn't going to get the motorised signals.... but I always enjoy setting the road using the one I have, I thought I would give it a go. made easier of course by PX some of my dads stuff.

However, it was at times nail biting as stock seems to be low - not just at Hattons, but generally in the UK of these signals. Nail biting of course as it took so long to get the parcel into the UK.

Re: eBay album:

I had already gone above my limit. But thought it could be worth it..... maybe even to self publish some of the 'photos into a book as a follow up to the Wild Swan book. But it wasn't to be.

I wonder what the limit the other fella had set.... £100? Sounds a lot for someones snaps.... It would be different if you could examine the book before bidding!

Not to worry, I have plenty of half finished projects on the go at Henley. There is always something to do!

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neal,

I put my Lode Star with YouChoos Castle sound project together at the weekend and I have uploaded a video here: 

The video isn't really as good as I'd like it to be and the sound is a bit weak - even using a fancy mic. It seems to be very difficult to capture loco sounds. I feel there is more to learn here!

How does it compare to your YouChoos Castle?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I dont' know how you would be able to get them to interlock etc.

It wouldn't be true interlocking but if you route the feeds through the changeover switches on the Tortoises the signal will only come Off if the correct route is set.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Neal,

I put my Lode Star with YouChoos Castle sound project together at the weekend and I have uploaded a video here: 

The video isn't really as good as I'd like it to be and the sound is a bit weak - even using a fancy mic. It seems to be very difficult to capture loco sounds. I feel there is more to learn here!

How does it compare to your YouChoos Castle?

I think it compares very well.... but I’m not convinced the sound (certainly on my loco) is what I expected it to be.... 

I know this is at speed... oh and I can hear a squeak! But this is the sort of sound I was expecting.....

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Leaving aside the fact that the video is still dark. (Using the SLR, set up on a tripod, under the new lights - although its was jerky, I think the iPhone recording is probably better!).

This was recoded on Saturday:

5076 at the start has the Zimo decoder with Youchoos sounds, followed by no 4073 Caerphilly Castle with a ESU Loksound decoder and Howes sounds. 

Its almost as if 5076 has a big end knocking and that 4073 needs a bit more welly!

I can't see where easily to adjust the volumes, one to go down slightly and the other to come up. 

At the moment it's not quite like the real thing!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Railcar start up.

The one sound I am very pleased with though is that of the Parcels Railcar. Again recorded on Saturday and includes the start up and departing process from Platform 3.

I need to spend a day (or two) with all the instructions manuals for the sound decoders, to see how to adjust the different levels.

Last Sunday, I took the majority of my locos away from the railway in order to log them into Decoder Pro. I've adjusted speed curves on some of them, I now need to do the sounds.

By taking them away from the railway, I wont get diverted so easily!

Onwards and upwards, today is about the signals project....

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

There are so many variables with steam sounds! First and foremost is the frequency response of the speaker(s) but even if we modellers try to improve that it won't make much difference if the sound projects don't include all the frequencies of realistic sounds. I have a suspicion that the samples are compressed to fit in the memory space of the decoder and thus lose some quality.

Then there are all the variables of the real world when recording real locos, particularly distance and how hard the loco is working, i.e. the position of the reverser. In the Nunney Castle video, the first two clips I'd guess it's about half open, the third clip three-quarters maybe(?) and the final clip fully open because she's climbing and having to work hard.

There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in steam sounds! (I nudged the dynamic boys at Accurascale about it in the new Manor thread.)

P.S. Your Railcar No.17 sounds very much like mine on video. Again, for some reason the sound doesn't come across on video quite as it sounds in the room...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

There are so many variables with steam sounds! First and foremost is the frequency response of the speaker(s) but even if we modellers try to improve that it won't make much difference if the sound projects don't include all the frequencies of realistic sounds. I have a suspicion that the samples are compressed to fit in the memory space of the decoder and thus lose some quality.

Then there are all the variables of the real world when recording real locos, particularly distance and how hard the loco is working, i.e. the position of the reverser. In the Nunney Castle video, the first two clips I'd guess it's about half open, the third clip three-quarters maybe(?) and the final clip fully open because she's climbing and having to work hard.

There is definitely a lot of room for improvement in steam sounds! (I nudged the dynamic boys at Accurascale about it in the new Manor thread.)

P.S. Your Railcar No.17 sounds very much like mine on video. Again, for some reason the sound doesn't come across on video quite as it sounds in the room...

It’s interesting of course, because what we are trying to recreate is the sound from carriage 1 as we sit and gaze out of the window with the countryside rushing by. Irrespective whether we are climbing Dainton, or along the sea at Blue Anchor.

Or at least it is to me.....

I’ve just put another camera on charge to see if I can get a better resolution in the railway room.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Dapol signals part 3:

Work on replacing the Ratio signals continues....

• Everything has been painted today. I have painted all the ladders white at the bottom and increased the black up the post for the two that will be buried under the platform, together with painting all the wooden platforms, brown.
  • I have also painted the round post home signal that will sit at Mill Lane, this is now white rather than silver.
  • Holes have been dug into platforms 1 and 2 and at the end of platform 3 - the one on  platform 3 has since been filled in around the signal. I'm not going to fix it yet until I have tested everything.
  • The platform indicator display has been fitted on the inner home.

Everything is drying nicely, ready for work to continue tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing the signalling come together, you’ve given me a suitable prompt to get on with mine (so I have another round post coming in the post from Derails.  Finding the remaining 2 single square post home signals at a reasonable price is proving a little more tricky though.  (Given that in 47 it appears Brent was half way through the signalling upgrade).  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Looking forward to seeing the signalling come together, you’ve given me a suitable prompt to get on with mine (so I have another round post coming in the post from Derails.  Finding the remaining 2 single square post home signals at a reasonable price is proving a little more tricky though.  (Given that in 47 it appears Brent was half way through the signalling upgrade).  

1936 in Henley was definitely still in square post mode.... which is why the round post is sent over to Mill Lane!

Plus of course it would not be as easy to fix the Platform indicator box to the round post.

Good luck with your signals.... you’ve got loads already :-)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Dapol signals continued: 

All the signals are now in and working.

1953570776_Newsignals1.jpg.ad248af67550bd94991066d9cdaaedcd.jpg

820021003_Platform1and2after.jpg.23d0a694113eec7f6d656eaa2d03f5e7.jpg

The LED lights are very bright! Tomorrow I need to put some paint on the lens to dull it down a little bit.

These bracket signals are very quiet in operation and have a lovely little bounce to them. Much better than the single post signals which are very noisy. Plus with these bracket signals you get the switches to operate them, but not with the single post signals.....

Plus the brackets you get a cable of just under 300mm in length which I have spent all day making longer. I could have bought 2m extension cables but at £7 each I decided I could solder in my own cables.

Both platforms have had the infill filled in with cardboard, which needs fixing into place and then stones laid over the top.

I will enable me to finish off the Platform ends; fix in the Henley signs and then tidy up some of the ballast around the signals.

Overall a nice little project, these are lovely little items to add to the railway. 

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Both platforms have had the infill filled in with cardboard, which needs fixing into place and then stones laid over the top.

Possibly planks so that the S&T can get to the gubbins underneath?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Possibly planks so that the S&T can get to the gubbins underneath?

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Worth having a look at how @chuffinghell did the job on the Warren Branch thread. Very effective.

I have both planks and paving stones ready to sort out the ends of the platforms. 

@MrWolfI have also been looking at Johns thread aka @checkrailat Stoke Courtney.

Thanks both for the comments.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1