Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Neal,

Have you thought of this motorising kit? It relies on visual alignment of the tracks with each use, which might be poblematic if the turntable is at the back of the layout. However it has proved better in use than the previous version, which used plastic gears which kept dropping out of alignment.

http://locomotech.com/index.html

Thanks for that, last time I looked the website for ordering was down and the address in Bognor doesn't have a model shop any more....

May well give a go, Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

It works!

post-6981-0-70189600-1450131301_thumb.jpg

I've spent the evening on my hands and knees under the baseboard... well its more a case of sitting quite comfortably due to the height of the station area. Everything is soldered together and the Loco yard and turntable are now on a separate circuit.

Seen in the photo here are Hornby Railroad Adderley Hall and Caerphilly Castle, having been round the table a few times, trying each road for size and then coming off again..... and it all works!

Two niggles - one I can't do anything about, the other needs a solution.

1. The sound on Caerphilly cuts out, but there is nothing that can be done about that. I suppose I could fit a DCC concepts capacitor, to get over it....

2. The second needs a solution and that is how to line the tracks up, without standing on the baseboard every time a loco goes round.

All in all a very productive evening.

• Like 11

It works!

attachicon.gifTurntable 14-12-15 A rr.jpg

I've spent the evening on my hands and knees under the baseboard... well its more a case of sitting quite comfortably due to the height of the station area. Everything is soldered together and the Loco yard and turntable are now on a separate circuit.

Seen in the photo here are Hornby Railroad Adderley Hall and Caerphilly Castle, having been round the table a few times, trying each road for size and then coming off again..... and it all works!

Two niggles - one I can't do anything about, the other needs a solution.

1. The sound on Caerphilly cuts out, but there is nothing that can be done about that. I suppose I could fit a DCC concepts capacitor, to get over it....

2. The second needs a solution and that is how to line the tracks up, without standing on the baseboard every time a loco goes round.

All in all a very productive evening.

Neal, are you a member of MERG? They do a stepper motor kit that you programme to stop where you want. Works a treat. You still need to get a set of gears or somehow connect the table axle to it.

• RMweb Premium

Neal, are you a member of MERG? They do a stepper motor kit that you programme to stop where you want. Works a treat. You still need to get a set of gears or somehow connect the table axle to it.

No not seen that, will hunt it down

• RMweb Premium

Another busy weekend on Henley. 

I decided to separate the loco shed from the station building and it is seen here having had a false wall built. I have also added a false floor which will keep it all square. I have also made a start on the surrounding scenery, which includes a slope to take everything up to road level. This is not all strictly prototypical as there are differences in the area, mainly with the length of the roads off the turntable. Initially the levels are made up with Polystyrene and then papier mache to keep it all in place. I have also made a start on the coal office for Toomer & co, which stood at the boundary fence at the back of the turntable.

post-6981-0-82778400-1450644075_thumb.jpg

The Toomer building is seen in the background on what will be Station Approach. The van body, is not staying by the turntable, it's there instead of a gut at the moment. I also finished adding brick work to the side of the turntable pit.

Todays progress, has seen the Polystyrene covered with the paper and liberal quantities of wall paper paste, the rails in the area have been painted with Humbrol "Light rust" on the side and a bank built next to where the water tower will sit. In this photo, the platforms are back in and all the lights are wired up and working.

post-6981-0-85080000-1450644308_thumb.jpg

In this shot two of my Hall class 4-6-0 locos stand at Platform 1 and 2 with a general view of the station area.

post-6981-0-68050700-1450644415_thumb.jpg

There is a possibility I will work on Henley during the week, but just in case I don't post before 25th, thanks for all my followers on RMWeb and the associated encouragement and all the best for Christmas and the New Year.

post-6981-0-66851200-1450644556_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

This evening I had a quick run with Caerphilly Castle, who tested out all the loco depot roads. 

It arrived in Platform 1, from where it used the loco release into the yard, before being turned and going on shed.

post-6981-0-64044700-1450907414_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back to work tomorrow!

It's been all go at Henley over the Christmas and New Year break, it was apparent that I had to get all of the loco yard finished sooner rather than later. Once the station is finished, it will almost be impossible to get over there to add an extra tree etc. Track cleaning will be via the Dapol track cleaning wagon, so I should be fine with that.

The scenic side is all done, although it will need some static grass to add some depth.

LocoYard3-1-16rr.jpg.d35cdbdafe3f5da5b6820b8e7cf8b1fa.jpg

The Hornby Hall seen in front of the engine yard. Behind which is the coal office for Toomer and co which was located at the back of the engine yard, together with some advertising hoardings facing onto the road beyond the railway.

LocoYardc-3-1-16rr.jpg.dbe4c01ba53f8fa3da587b798c7a8a83.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 - photos updated
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Since the photos were taken, I have painted the front of the shed GWR light stone.

I then decided to move on and get all the points wired up... which proved to be easier said than done and (at the moment) I have admitted defeat.

So I moved to the Goods yard, which had never been wired up. About an hour later and success, the GWR 64xx is shewn with the evening goods train:

GoodsYard3-1-16.jpg.1d2ba34ab5d9d973e71734650fdfb1f2.jpg

The floor is a mess where I left all the cables laying around after cutting wire etc. But that can be cleared up in the week, probably after the Christmas decorations come down tomorrow.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The points issue is as follows:

My DCC controller is the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance and I want to control all my points through the controller. This will enable routes to be set up etc.

However, the point motors are Seep PM1, but I doubt that is the problem.....

But the DCC decoder for the point motors is a set of ESU switchpilot (Labeled as Bachmann, but I dont think that is relevant). Looking on the DCC section here at RMWeb, it looks as if its a faff to program where you are not using the same manufacturers accessory decoder and controller :-(

Either I have to change over to a Gaugemaster accessory decoder, or go manual....

I also have in circuit an NCE Circuit Breaker, but I don't think that is an issue. 

• RMweb Premium

Good to see another photo with a glass of red wine in the background.

I find it indispensable to the modelling process - not sure about wiring though.

• RMweb Premium

You have been busy!

I can't help with the DCC I'm afraid.

I like the scenery around the yard. How did you do the grass? Mat of flocks?

Happy New Year.

Rich

Thanks as ever Rich. Happy New Year to you.

Grass mats glued down over papier mache, with additional flock powders over the top, all glued together with PVA and artists spray varnish over the top. The trees are a "forest in a box" covered with flock powder and again sprayed to keep in place. The tree is then "planted with a dab of PVA.

Regards, Neal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brr -bit chilly this end of the week!

It would be good if we could replicate this train at some point soon....

GWR Mogul 2-6-0 - hopefully an updated model from Bachmann soon.... But what is the carriage shewn behind? K22? - It looks as if the rest of the train are just normal vans...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64215236@N03/23738402813/ 

Thanks, Neal

• RMweb Premium

Blimey 18th January already.... an update on the issues above:

My email to Guagemaster had a reply straight away. The Prodigy instructions, relate to the Gaugemaster accessory decoder only, for the ESU ones, use the ESU instructions. Whereupon I managed to programm 2 out of the 4 units, I seem to recall I might have blown one up when using Wharncliffe - no idea now, just remember a burning smell..... :-(

Both the working ESU units are screwed to the underside of the baseboard and are working well.....

What has been driving me mad the last two weekends is the SEEP point motors, which have been a right pain in the a***e to set up. Essentially trying to run your hand on top of the baseboard and at the other angle hold them under the board is impossible, add into that mix the need to set them at the right angle etc. to not only to get them to throw, but to make contact with the Red and then the Black current as required. (In DCC Red is the far rail, Black the closer one).

I have resorted to taping them into what I think is the right position, test with the cabling live, only to screw them to the baseboard and in drilling the holes, move them out of alignment, only to start again. For the sake of expediency and my sanity, last night I decided to remove the switching element and have a good old fashioned centre off switch mounted on a separate board. This will provide the power to the frog and from there it will all work ok. For the time being the ESU accessory decoders will stay, but might resort to stud and probe. I like the idea of being able to route set, so really want to keep them.

There must be an easier way to install the SEEP motors. I'm surprised there is not an adjustable base made for them, I can't believe I am the only person to struggle with them....

Anyway, rant over, onto todays progress:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In order to break the monotony of the electrics, I also progressed with ballasting and am very pleased with the results so far. I started between Christmas and New Year, so its wasn't a quick bit of work! Unfortunately where the platforms were resting they have bowed a bit, so are now being weighted back onto the baseboard.

Station18-1-16a.jpg.fe426e93f3311fe03950247ba90771aa.jpg

When the ballast was going down (Guagemaster N Gauge, made by Noch(?)) I thought the colour wasn't quite right, so with varying levels I have added in black flock and am a lot happier with the result. It's different to the first lot of ballast I laid, which I had from a couple of years ago. It was a nice dark grey, so now the trick is all the various sections have to be made similar depending on where they are within the layout.

With the Platforms back down, it looks like this:

Station18-1-16b.jpg.42d38e2573dbdd6b5b07dfd6a304876f.jpg

I think its now coming together nicely. Next weekend, I need to wire up the control panel and secure the remaining cables. It will then be good to have a running day, I've not had the locos out for what seems like an age!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly I received the periodic Bachmann email today and they mention "An exciting year ahead" ... maybe that means a new GWR Toad brake van or two????

You never know :-)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The on-going tidy up continues... these photos from last weekend.

There is still quite a bit of wiring to do in order to get the points working correctly, but all that was put on hold for an hour last Sunday. I decided to play trains.

But first I had to hoover the tracks under the station and clear all the loose wires out of the way. Then set to and clean all the track, first with the track rubber, then the Dapol track cleaner went round the track.

Seen here with my Bachmann 9F, which is the first time it has run into Henley. ..... Yes I know the lamp is crooked .... add it to the needs fixing list...

9F9218531-1-16.jpg.d133fd1a014b822dd9d08acaeb085822.jpg

2023 Note: I still have the 9F.... at a recent GCR gala there 9F was seen on the line hauling 50 wagons... (Opens; Vans and Brake vans)... I fancy doing the same - but will I get 50 wagons into the "on-scene" section at Henley-on-Thames?

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Later that afternoon, the 9F romped up the incline with no assistance; no magnets etc. it easily pulled 21 wagons up from the lower to station level.

9F9218531-1-16b.jpg.9fd5b6410f0bb63d7244e38bcc2fad16.jpg

Seen here at the station - taking up the whole platform space:

9F9218531-1-16c.jpg.77c8712f65cb96fe9efac78b9714315b.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I can do a lot more work on the station area... its very tempting to work on the viaduct / incline / town areas, but they will all have to wait!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

A quick lunch-time post - then its back to the electrics....

D95 is as we all hoped it was going to be... stunning.... A quick drive over to Guagemaster this morning (after my Parkrun of course!), saw me walking out with what is probably the best R-T-R carriage that has every graced a GWR model railway.

R4681a.jpg.0ee3b8075049d56c52431fa483b14816.jpg

R4681b.jpg.f7e6bda633f01b024e27948f71d72938.jpg

I dont (at the moment) know how to get inside, but I can see the carriage filled with passengers and LED lighting

2023 Note: They still do not have passengers!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

GWR 4-6-0 No 4014 seen with the new Hornby GWR Collett D95 Brake 3rd carriage:

R4681crr.jpg.26c0943b21dd8eac46d0b45318b42fdc.jpg

R4681drr.jpg.72df9add93a5ecd369ecb90000c4ece8.jpg

Loco and carriage seen entering Henley on Thames in the summer of 1936.

More soon....

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 9