Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Blimey!

Ive just had an email from Rails…. GWR Mk3 carriage special offer….

My spraying is better than that! Awful job, no wonder they are discounted….

edit April 2022 - I dont have the offending GWT carriage, so instead how about a proper GWR train:

121862230_6109arriving-61221r.jpg.147f54480ac89eef717edb6c638f0f13.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

That looks great Neal. I think you guys doing GW livery are heroes. All that masking and then different colour droplights! I'm happy I can get away with BR maroon.

The real problem comes when you have done all of that masking / spraying, then all the effort adding the double lining only for the varnish to cloud and ruin the whole thing.   Even worse is when you strip the coach down, do it all again and the same thing happens (at which point I put the coach away and will strip it and try again in the spring...)

Thankfully as a brass coach without much filler it is at least easy to strip and repaint.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The real problem comes when you have done all of that masking / spraying, then all the effort adding the double lining only for the varnish to cloud and ruin the whole thing.   Even worse is when you strip the coach down, do it all again and the same thing happens (at which point I put the coach away and will strip it and try again in the spring...)

Thankfully as a brass coach without much filler it is at least easy to strip and repaint.

I have only had that happen on figures, and after internet searches found that if you spray again, with the right conditions, and perhaps different varnish, (mine was the same but just shaken more and in warmer conditions), it can cure it.  It worked on the figures, although I am not sure about coaches, but it would be worth a go as you would have nothing to lose.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

That looks great Neal. I think you guys doing GW livery are heroes. All that masking and then different colour droplights! I'm happy I can get away with BR maroon.

15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I have only had that happen on figures, and after internet searches found that if you spray again, with the right conditions, and perhaps different varnish, (mine was the same but just shaken more and in warmer conditions), it can cure it.  It worked on the figures, although I am not sure about coaches, but it would be worth a go as you would have nothing to lose.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I am hoping that I don’t have any varnish issues….. but at the same time realise that my window for getting that done is going to get tight.

Weatherwise we are ok at the moment for spraying, but once late December comes it will be too cold even during the day.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking for something else this afternoon I came across a photo which I all too obviously took a long time ago.  the original is alas only a small print and there was deep shadow in places so the chap (Tony Smith) who processed the film did his best in the darkroom to make up for a not very adequate camera lens and my inability to move on from Kodak Tri-X film.

But here it is - and it might be useful?

1607942332_HenleyGoodShedlightenedprint.jpeg.20ce3924be6f09319eaa4d9c155f1767.jpeg

The picture taken from the other side on a different day was a lot more colourful and I might have posted it previously but here it is with the light adjusted a tad.

778882845_HYgoodsshedcopy.jpg.641a7b3868d92dad5e4c446678849e2c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I watched the Rapido Facebook live event last night… I’d not watched one before, so don’t know how it stacks up to the ones for the Main company.

Interesting that they are hiring more staff, details will be in the next newsletter. One role includes someone to do warranty repairs from the unit in Staplehurst.

They hinted at several new items, possibly an S160 which was mentioned several times, more buses and possibly some GWR items. Bill Schnieder was on the call and had apparently given Andy a long list….. Hopefully they might be GWR rather than BR(W). 

Interesting stuff…

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Saturday afternoon update:

I've managed to get the paint sorted out for the outside of the H43 1st class Restaurant carriage; both the Chocolate and roof Black/Grey have been done.

I have left it to completely dry overnight; when it then needs the black on the ends touching up and all the droplights painting.

Over the last couple of days, I have also been setting up the interior seats etc. 

As ever, to be continued.....

In the meantime, I have done some more work on the H44 3rd class Restaurant carriage. All the rooftop ventilators and handrails have been glued into position. These are again being left to cure overnight.

I've not looked at the interior of this carriage yet, but at the current rate this one might be complete before the 1st class one!

The new Fox transfers have arrived this week, so can go onto the carriages once they are ready. It might be easier to do both the 1st and 3rd class carriages at the same time.

I have also received the new "Western Times" magazine this week, issue 2 for Winter looks to be an interesting read.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2021 at 18:56, The Fatadder said:

Not sure how different the interior was after refurbishment but I had a walk around the inside of the preserved restaurant third ar Didcot a few years ago.  I uploaded my photos here 

one day I will get on and build the interior for mine…

Thanks for these Rich.

I stuck my camera against the glass in 2001 and managed to get these two images - no idea why I didn't take more... But then, no idea why more Centenary carriages weren't preserved. I know the 1st class Restaurant carriages were the last in service... but wouldn't it be nice if a full set was preserved.

The interior of the carriage was altered considerably with the addition of these bucket seats - I guess after the war when they came back into service. Before that they had standard (1st class) high-back bench seats.

324739077_Centenary-interiorr.jpg.3c942c33b85b37de65c7898ffc15ae73.jpg

The Kitchen (I think) was largely unchanged.... although it would not comply to modern H & S standards.

546827123_Centenary-kitchenr.jpg.aba3f78112640bf9a906a76009e2aab8.jpg

It would be great to see the carriage fully restored to use.... plus it would be great to actually step on board if we are able to arrange an RMWeb visit next Summer. Any chance Drew? aka @Castle Thanks.

Link to the carriage at Didcot: https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/167/no-9635-collett-centenary-diner 

I hadn't realised your carriage is not furnished Rich aka @The Fatadder, just shows that with the correct lighting you can miss such details in photos!

I looked at a recent Hornby Pullman carriage today with the aim of taking it apart and cannibalising for spares (tables and lamps), for the H44 Centenary 3rd Restaurant carriage. I put it back down - for the moment at least. It would probably need 2 or 3 carriages in order to get one centenary 3rd!

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it might have been the first RMWeb Didcot tour when I had asked if I could take some measurements of the windows, which was then followed by “would you like to go inside” which of course I jumped at!

My centenary set actually still needs quite a lot of work, as well as 4 of them lacking interior none have any glazing at the moment.   A job for the winter I think…

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I think it might have been the first RMWeb Didcot tour when I had asked if I could take some measurements of the windows, which was then followed by “would you like to go inside” which of course I jumped at!

My centenary set actually still needs quite a lot of work, as well as 4 of them lacking interior none have any glazing at the moment.   A job for the winter I think…

I realised last night, having written all the above about transfers…. I might have “lost the window of opportunity “…… it’s got really cold here now, so things like spraying etc. might have to wait until the Spring.

Still loads to do though!

Plus, it seems the model shops I have been using here in Spain, seem to have run out of Vallejo gloss varnish.

Spraying may well be on hold for a while :-(

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Busy day(s) at Henley on Thames.

Having recently bought some contact adhesive, one of the sides has been fixed to the H44 3rd class Restaurant carriage today. It is now on the bench hopefully going off, ready to do the second side.

Meanwhile for the last couple of days, I've been working on the lights for the H43 1st class Restaurant carriage.

It was always the intention to have the rake lit and obviously for the H43 and H44 they will have lit table lamps. A while ago I came across a circuit diagram for a stay alive circuit that will keep the lamps alight. However, the capacitor is huge! Almost the same physical size as the ones in the current carriages for the Hornby APT.

It's a 4500 farads, which gives plenty of energy when the power is dropped. (Dirty track or points etc.)

The diagram has come from the MERG electronic group.

1498880569_H44-Lightingdiagram.jpg.87c32a83192705ece2eb9dbdd0832963.jpg

I am using 10k resisters; a Bridge rectifier and the 4500 Capacitors

483760205_H44-Lightingparts.jpg.73c34261d3497f3e2735b83f4f0fa3df.jpg

In testing the circuit, I use a "bread board" its a great little piece of kit and means that you can move components around before starting to solder everything up. I've used this for a while for similar sort of projects and I think it was recommended by @richard w at Everard Junction.

This is the test circuit for the H43 lights.

2018096331_H43-Lightingtest.jpg.8761d42356c59735ed91fbafeff18a83.jpg

The power comes in on the right and connects across the two centre legs of the bridge rectifier. The LED's are then connected to the left, parallel to the capacitor legs.

This is the completed board:

1562765822_H43-Lightingboard.jpg.4588d76f3e1c05e5f7a6d994e672fee4.jpg

The test with the carriage lights.

1310201720_H43-Lightingcarriagetest.jpg.aead3fc4705ad8588812bb0e3d997d60.jpg

The carriage lights are from DCC Concepts and I am using their axle springs for pick-up power: https://www.dccconcepts.com/product-category/lamps-lighting-and-signals/flickerfree-and-coach-lighting-sets/

This is obviously the H43 with plenty of space inside the Kitchen area for the electronics. I am hoping I can get it all into the linen cupboards on the H44. Other carriages in the rake (centre roof lights only) will utilise the loo!

1643377782_H443rdClassRestaurant23-11-21.jpg.651f4e00b9bab67ebf5a28691a7fe4e8.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Premium

The H43 1st class Restaurant carriage today.

Today has been about squeezing all the electronics into the space; completing the wiring and then adding a yellow LED  into the kitchen area.

The table lamps have a 10k resistor and the kitchen has a 22k resistor.

I have painted the table lamps; tables; cutlery and plates! Fitted passengers.... "Do you have a reservation for dinner this evening Sir?" .... as almost all the seats are taken!

The seats have been fitted with a self adhesive 1st class seat cover system that I bought from eBay several years ago.

Testing with the new kitchen LED:

563528453_H43-Lightingcarriage23-11-21cr.jpg.4e5b0b2c77f50dee3e260420c7cc7743.jpg

The 1st class seating area - almost full to capacity... "This is a popular service Sir; we only have the one table left" 

1171613870_H43-Lightingcarriage23-11-21ar.jpg.679acd96e38a20458fc55a1c8e281ae6.jpg

And the carriage still under test, but coming together....

At the moment, the carriage isn't picking up power from the wheels, but these are now ready to go.... they just need wiring up. (For which I use standard wheels - (from Comet) - with some silver paint (from Busch) which aids electrical conductivity).

I am now waiting for the gloss varnish to arrive (and a warm day to spray) then I can finish off; transfers; paint droplights; glaze windows & kitchen (obscured), then it's done - happy days!

Edited by Neal Ball
photos changed
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Graham T said:

Those do look very nice indeed.  Actually, I'm feeling a bit peckish now!

Ah but has Sir reserved a table for this evenings sitting? Lol

Thanks for the comment, I’m pleased with the way it’s turned out.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Re: I might have news.... of the turntable kind.

But I suppose I am trying to keep both feet on the ground and not get too excited at the prospect that I might see it working anytime soon...

I sent Mike at Greenwood an email this morning 

"It’s been 6 weeks since my control gear was sent back to you. Has it been fixed and tested now? Is it about to be sent back?"

He replied at 08:30 UK time: "Yes it is"

Bit brief... so 1/2hr later I sent a reply asking for more information....

"Does that mean:
Fixed?
Tested and working?
About to be sent back?
Or has already been sent by DHL?"

That was just after 9am UK time.... which has been met by the usual stoney silence.

So maybe that means it's going to be sent today... if it's by courier (which was agreed), then the courier will send me tracking information and I should get it in a week or so (possibly 2 at the most).

If he sends it by post, then it will get lost in the current import delays when it arrives at Madrid.

We are not out of the woods yet!

Will he get the address correct this time? I added a reminder to this mornings email... will he remember I sent the programming panel and the control gear and will he remember to supply a new transformer to replace the broken one....

This story could drag on into Christmas - like I said, I am not getting excited.

The idea of lodging a complaint with my card company is appealing, but that only gets me a refund.... when possibly I am close to getting it fixed.

You couldn't make it up

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

That was just after 9am UK time.... which has been met by the usual stoney silence.

So maybe that means it's going to be sent today... if it's by courier (which was agreed), then the courier will send me tracking information and I should get it in a week or so (possibly 2 at the most).

If he sends it by post, then it will get lost in the current import delays when it arrives at Madrid.

Hopefully he will be including the required documentation so that you avoid getting stung with import duty when it comes back into Spain,   I cant recall the exact details but I think it is a statement that it is a free of charge repair, along with evidence of the inbound transit from Spain to the UK.  Not going to help with the delays getting through customs, but at least you should avoid getting a large bill when it does.   Fingers crossed you get a working turntable soon...

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

It will all be over by Christmas...

Now where have we heard that before?

You have my sympathies Neal, I took part of an engine to a machine shop not a mile from my house at the end of August. After three weeks, I rang to see if it was ready. 

Not even started it. We'll call you when it's ready. Further enquiries resulted in the same response until Monday. 

Monday I am told that it was ready last Thursday but they had written my phone number down wrong.

The work that has been done looks good, but whether or not it is any good won't be known until I have the engine assembled and running. 

I can't hold my breath that long.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Sympathies once more Neal. You couldn't make it up - nobody would believe you! The trouble is this kind of thing just drains your energy.

We've been promised an end to our  'Furniture Vexation' ;) by early January - that will make it two years...  We'll see who gets a decent product first!

Edited by TrevorP1
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Hopefully he will be including the required documentation so that you avoid getting stung with import duty when it comes back into Spain,   I cant recall the exact details but I think it is a statement that it is a free of charge repair, along with evidence of the inbound transit from Spain to the UK.  Not going to help with the delays getting through customs, but at least you should avoid getting a large bill when it does.   Fingers crossed you get a working turntable soon...

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It will all be over by Christmas...

Now where have we heard that before?

You have my sympathies Neal, I took part of an engine to a machine shop not a mile from my house at the end of August. After three weeks, I rang to see if it was ready. 

Not even started it. We'll call you when it's ready. Further enquiries resulted in the same response until Monday. 

Monday I am told that it was ready last Thursday but they had written my phone number down wrong.

The work that has been done looks good, but whether or not it is any good won't be known until I have the engine assembled and running. 

I can't hold my breath that long.

7 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Sympathies once more Neal. You couldn't make it up - nobody would believe you! The trouble is this kind of thing just drains your energy.

We've been promised an end to our  'Furniture Vexation' ;) by early January - that will make it two years...  We'll see who gets a decent product first!

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.

I sent a chase email around 1pm this afternoon our time, to dot the i’s and cross the t’s etc. I wanted to check he was sending everything back as agreed, plus that it was coming by DHL and to the correct address.

All I got was this reply….

HI Yes 

To all but if I was to sit in front of a pc and answer emails all day would not do any work.

Thats it! That’s all I got. What a farce.

I’m hoping that the courier company, send me a tracking email….. I’m not holding my breath…. We will see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

The Dapol Priarie tank 2-6-2T locos have arrived in the uk now by the looks of it.

I can’t get excited about these locos, they are late and been (in my view) usurped by the Hornby loco…. I quite like my 2 x Hornby 61xx.

My locos seem ok as far as haulage is concerned, although others comment it’s a struggle for 4 x Collett carriages, mine seem ok with 6. Is that down to my Zimo decoders I wonder?

I am surprised that Hornby haven’t done the 61xx in shirtbutton livery yet…. So that might be an excuse…

Ive got two, that’s enough… I’d rather have an Accurascale Manor….. oh confounded!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3