Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

I had intended to trim the platform surface today, but got carried away with Castle power :-)

Castlepowerrr.jpg.c648b32fa5698d2f4d747b2b144edfc2.jpg

2023 note: Can't beat a couple of Castles, unless its 3 or 4 Castles of course 😎

Edited by Neal Ball
2023 missing photos updated
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Sadly no mention of a GWR Toad Brake van in the Bachmann announcements yesterday. 

Hopefully soon, we will get an announcement from someone that we will have some modern AA diagram vans.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly no mention of a GWR Toad Brake van in the Bachmann announcements yesterday. 

Hopefully soon, we will get an announcement from someone that we will have some modern AA diagram vans.

There is, but it's for us who model N gauge :)

• RMweb Premium

A quick update to show the glue drying :-)

The white PVA will dry clear, whereupon I will get the static grass thing out and give the grass some depth.

Obviously i need to add the boundary fence and the toilet block from the park behind the water tower.

Overall I'm quite pleased with this afternoons work.

6-3-16rr.jpg.bc9bf5c3b8e50925277b6783aef1e492.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Neal, is that the Woodlands Scenics grass matt that you heat up and it moulds to shape?

Rich

No Gaugemaster that I have cut and glued onto shapes of polystyrene. Looks better now the glue has dried!

• RMweb Premium

The aforementioned white PVA has dried and although there are a few gaps where the mat was joined, its looking pretty good.

I have now laid the grass right the way through to Mill Lane bridge. Again it all has polystyrene underneath and has been shaped with a Stanley knife and layered to get the additional height. I accept that the land falls down to the Thames, i wanted to have a wooded section in the corner and build the land up, probably with a pub through the trees, which hopefully will disguise the corners.

I also started some more ballasting, whereupon I realised that I haven't painted the side of the rails yet, but will do that soon.

There is still a lot to do here, but these photos give a flavour of where we are.

IMG_0042rr.jpg.4096cb2ee5d02d8ce94fd4e3b71a5928.jpg

This shews the corner that has been built up, which will be a wooded section with a pub hidden inside... The two tracks in front are the carriage sidings - a far cry from the actual Henley, when there were loads of sidings either side of the Up and Down lines.

edit: The track on the far right, is the headhunt for the goods yard and can accommodate 20 wagons with Toad and Pannier tank.

IMG_0043rr.jpg.1943bfa09bae7a51eb2ba64769854db8.jpg

Mill Lane bridge, through which you can see(!!) the former crossing keepers cottage and Mill Lane signal box... On the model, these are replaced by the hinges in front of the door for the model railway room.

IMG_0044.jpg.06c48a97feb6a3eaf123c7b203233e9d.jpg

Things like the trees, telegraph poles, line side hut are all placed in the model, none are fixed at this stage.

I also got out some signals to see where they might go... I placed two bracket signals, but reckon they should be replaced with a single signal with a bracket left and right - although I'm not sure whether that would be prototypical. Thats a quandry for another day!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to see that my humble efforts have been viewed 9999 times... Who will be number 10,000?

Thanks to everyone who has viewed and clicked the like button.

edit: that has jumped to 10,122 now... thats a quick jump in the number of views...

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Neal the Home Signal (a three doll bracket) effectively repeated the principal routes signalled by the Inner Home (the 'Christmas Tree' in PK's book).  What I don't know is when the repeating arms were removed from the Home Signal - they were still there in the 1920s when the then young Reg Daniels made a (not very good) copy of the signalbox diagram but the practice was already obsolescent and the practice was rapidly being dispensed with across the GWR.

• RMweb Premium

Neal the Home Signal (a three doll bracket) effectively repeated the principal routes signalled by the Inner Home (the 'Christmas Tree' in PK's book).  What I don't know is when the repeating arms were removed from the Home Signal - they were still there in the 1920s when the then young Reg Daniels made a (not very good) copy of the signalbox diagram but the practice was already obsolescent and the practice was rapidly being dispensed with across the GWR.

Thanks as ever Mike, I need to go back through the photos in the book as I seem to recall all the signals are shewn.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Neil,

Apolgies for the rash of 'likes' but your layout is well worth it!

I'm finding it very inspirational reading about this period so "thank you".

Cheers,

John.

Thanks for the comments and Likes John. I'm pleased at how its all coming together - even if it is a bit disjointed at times.... Hopefully this weekend, I might run a few trains again :-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos from Saturday afternoon:

4901r.jpg.12c17a0d47c8b9abc7d5b28640b1df84.jpg

GWR Hall 4-6-0 has just reversed its train into the carriage sidings at Henley on Thames.

6407.jpeg.31d78120d1115516cdcc39461d4a6c0a.jpeg

Pannier tank No. 6407 having just brought its train into the station. I doubt Panniers would be used own Main-line trains at Henley - I think they were the preserve of the Halls. Panniers generally were on the locals.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Sunday afternoon see's Hall class 4-6-0 and Castle 4-6-0 at Henley on Thames.

HallCastler.jpg.1257fd78ee017652664bf6e584793718.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Nice Neal and I do like your lamps.

Thanks Robin, They are still a bit wonky, but will get fixed soon!

It would be good if DCC concepts were to do gas lamps for canopies as well.... otherwise I might have to buy the standards and cut off the post. I need loads for the canopy and the overall roof.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its been a bit quiet on the railway front over the last few weeks, but I have been able to do some work.

The week before last (Sunday 16th April) it was an afternoon of playing trains. The week before we had friends over and my control unit started smoking. Guagemaster gave a few pointers, but to be honest nothing substantial. So on 16th I wanted to test the layout to its limit and at one point had 3 out of my four sound fitted locos running. all was ok, even when my western pulled 8 carriages up the incline.

Railway16-4-16rr.jpg.4e9075186e0ccb7d063072e6ef6f748d.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Looking back at post 188 last weekend saw a few changes:

This post and accompanying photo was taken on 20th March, little more than a month later and its all changed. The pub is still there, but to be honest the woods are so deep, I dont know if anything is needed there:

These were taken last Sunday 16th April:

The whole area is now ballasted and all the rather bright grass mat has been treated with static grass and has a look of depth. I now just need to fix the fencing into place and put the telegraph poles back. Note to self though! when using hair spray as a glue, don't use the static grass applicator so close to the back scene. The blue clouds now have grass going up them!

You can barely make out the pub through the trees, which to be honest was the idea. They are not glued in, so they can easily be thinned out.

Looking at the rest of the layout, it now needs the static grass treatment to tone down the grass mat.

railway1rr.jpg.078088ac49d3e6c092191d8674516f07.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Oh it's all starting to look good Neal.

Are your trees hand made, kit, ready made?

You can tell I'm storing up info for scenery work (still miles off!)

The tall ones here are Guagemaster "Forest in a box" seafoam, which are sprayed with glue (Tesco basics hairspray, although I have also used artists spray glue and matt varnish) with plenty of scatter material poured over as the tree is turned, usually then finished with another spray of hair spray. http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM195&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GM195 

Some of the smaller trees are from Woodland scenics, with scatter glued over and a 9supplied) coarse mat teased out and moved over the branches.

There is also a large white metal tree kit from Woodland Scenics which hasn't got onto the layout yet.

Then I also have some "domestic" trees (as opposed to random seafoam) which will be planted around the viaduct section.

The area from the signal box through to the turntable has already been planted and has the green scenic mat applied. Having seen the success with the static grass, I am going to revisit this section and change it all. Although that will be easier by removing the current trees. Must put newspaper over the back scene before spraying though!

Hope that helps, Neal.

• Like 2

The tall ones here are Guagemaster "Forest in a box" seafoam, which are sprayed with glue (Tesco basics hairspray, although I have also used artists spray glue and matt varnish) with plenty of scatter material poured over as the tree is turned, usually then finished with another spray of hair spray. http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM195&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GM195 

Some of the smaller trees are from Woodland scenics, with scatter glued over and a 9supplied) coarse mat teased out and moved over the branches.

There is also a large white metal tree kit from Woodland Scenics which hasn't got onto the layout yet.

Then I also have some "domestic" trees (as opposed to random seafoam) which will be planted around the viaduct section.

The area from the signal box through to the turntable has already been planted and has the green scenic mat applied. Having seen the success with the static grass, I am going to revisit this section and change it all. Although that will be easier by removing the current trees. Must put newspaper over the back scene before spraying though!

Hope that helps, Neal.

Hi Neal -have just looked through this topic for the first time and enjoyed the journey! I really like the trees as well, as mentioned by Richard above, and was pleased to read how you put them together. Keep up the good work

regards Andy R

• RMweb Premium

Neal,

The scenery is worrying me. I have come to the conclusion that I am more of an engineer (in the Heath Robinson style) than a visual artist!

Richard - its really easy. If I can do it, anyone can :-)

I will try and do a step by step this weekend for you.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's topic is Trees hopefully I can show that scenery is not a black art  and if I can do it - anyone can....

There are loads of different trees you can get, either ready made from the likes of Guagemaster, or the Forest in a box type. I use both.

Trees-Guagemaster.jpg.b6b291af0fea4f0c588eb7a654b61ca0.jpg

This is a selection of ready to plant trees from Gauagemaster, I will use them in a different part of the layout. I will use these elsewhere on the layout.

These small trees have bases which don't need to be used,. the branches are easy to move into a 3 dimensional shape.

TreesWoodlansScenics2.jpg.1175db1e1c3eab1eb02780c7ca401776.jpg

As you can see from the price label (Beatties) I have had this box for ages. It is for two white metal truck trees, complete with a foam based material to glue onto the branches. I used one on Wharncliffe and was very pleased with the result. It had a look of an old Oak or Maple type tree.

Trees-Woodlandscenics1.jpg.f36433c5fb8a4fe6c8eb3789117b156c.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Forest in a box - costs about £20 for which you get a load of dried natural sea moss, which is grown in Scandinavia.

I mention Gaugemaster as they are the local model shop - a couple of miles from home: http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GM195&style=&strType=&Mcode=Gaugemaster+GM195 

Over the years I have bought different types of Forest in a box, hence the two different ones shewn here:

Trees1.jpg.461867838e1e64c29a61c976359a92fb.jpg

The trees are soaked in water for a while and then hung upside down to hopefully straighten. Don't worry if they dont get straight, by the time you have finished, you probably won't see the truck / branches.

The peg is used to add some weight and hopefully get rid of the curve.

It is possible to take the seed off the plants and grow your own scenery, but I have no experience of this.

Glue: At its most basic, you can used hairspray. I have tried Artists varnish and glue, but you can't beat some cheap hairspray. 

TreeBuilding2.jpg.7840e0c774e1ed779363fc40045faf8e.jpg

Give the tree a thorough spray:

Trees2.jpg.5e558b04c16a257bfacce7effb0f2295.jpg

I normally do this outside, but couldn't do that and photograph at the same time!

Cover with scatter - it really is that straight forward. Done it wrong? Got an old tree?

Just re-spray with hairspray and add more scatter.

Odd bits will fall off the sea moss, they simply become small bushes etc.

To get a small copse set up, took less than half and hour:

Trees-finishedgroup.jpg.77fcfe74aa7e49002658a97d27d916f0.jpg

It really is that straight forward.

Treesincontext.jpg.e1e42d7d5519be4681de589dbd5bc8dd.jpg

Treesglue.jpg.cd03eecc57ad29761d0310ee029cdb91.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8