Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Trees - Sunday update.

The seafoam that had been hanging up all night hadn't really straightened out... They were then broken into individual trees and planted on that basis.

Trees4.jpg.b4d11db7abb2d3ff3eb8fb9d30202258.jpg

One of the trees seen after spraying / coating in scatter. Todays choice was Gaugemaster medium leaves. Yesterdays is the open bag at the bottom of the photo.

Trees-flock.jpg.57a80ef4b72d4b88a0ecc468bd4146e3.jpg

This is the result of planting this weekend.

Trees4a.jpg.2077da3c6562e30f7032a595840910a4.jpg

The beauty about using something like this is that if you don't like it, you change the colour of the scatter and do it again, or as in a couple of the trees I have done, just add some brown, to tone the colours down.

Trees-final.jpg.327118b7a1d601cd57109d66850d4b63.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
2023 missing photos updated
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work on the railway has almost ground to a halt of late, what with gardening and running there doesn't always seem to be the time.

This weekend though I have been pottering about a bit and have finally put the transfers onto this Pakside wagon. The transfers are from POW sides.

Holtons were one of several local coal merchants at Henley.

Holtonswagon1-rr.jpg.56c839692dc5d5fe5aafd92f79957f3f.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

You've done a decent job there Neal, not easy those rub on type transfers.

Given I bought it at Warley 2 years ago, it's not bad... But the close up photo shows it hasn't taken all over, needs more of a rub down and then Matt varnish added.

• RMweb Premium

Do you have a guilty pleasure? A model that you bought just because its nice, comes out of the box, runs round a few times and then goes back? Mine is the Heljan railbus - having spent a very pleasant journey on the KWVR behind their rails, I fell in love with them and had to have the WR version for the railway.

It usually comes out of the box, makes a few runs, then goes away again.

For a 4 wheel vehicle, its great and always makes it across some of the bad joints etc. great slow speed running. Earlier today, I wrote up a list of everything that needs to be done on the railway, that didn't include what needs doing to locos, carriages etc. Clearly this vehicle needs passengers and internal lights, maybe a working tail lamp.

ACRailcar.jpg.5a125690295fd1d24faca5a5981220fc.jpg

Normal service was resumed with the Dukedom having an airing with the GWR Collett carriages.

I had another loco out earlier when the 9F 2-10-0 was run with the Dapol track cleaner. Today also saw more ballasting done - there is still loads to do!

2023 update: I couldn't find the relevant photo of the Dukedom, so instead add this photo from the Bluebell Railway in February 2009:

GWR9017HorstedKeynes-2009.jpg.f85f6d53333113a4c24f0dd6da32915f.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 15

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Do you have a guilty pleasure? A model that you bought just because its nice, comes out of the box, runs round a few times and then goes back? Mine is the Heljan railbus - having spent a very pleasant journey on the KWVR behind their rails, I fell in love with them and had to have the WR version for the railway.

It usually comes out of the box, makes a few runs, then goes away again.

For a 4 wheel vehicle, its great and always makes it across some of the bad joints etc. great slow speed running. Earlier today, I wrote up a list of everything that needs to be done on the railway, that didn't include what needs doing to locos, carriages etc. Clearly this vehicle needs passengers and internal lights, maybe a working tail lamp.

attachicon.gifRailcar.jpg

Normal service was resumed with the Dukedom having an airing with the GWR Collett carriages.

attachicon.gifDukedog.jpg

I had another loco out earlier when the 9F 2-10-0 was run with the Dapol track cleaner. Today also saw more ballasting done - there is still loads to do!

Next update - soon.

Paint it in chocolate and cream and no one will notice.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This time last year, this thread had received 6364 visits - today that stands at 13428 - Thank you.

Its been a busy year and I thought about time I did an update:

• Lots of gardening has been done which included a bumper crop of Tomatoes;
  • Lots of running; although I've not run since early October as I have Achilles tendinitis which means I need loads of ice and rest :-(
  • After a couple of weeks in Spain, we have also bought ourselves our first motorhome.

This weekend, with my achilles a lot better, I have spent the first weekend in the model railway room for ages. Yesterday (Saturday) I cut in the new loco release from the yard into the Platform 1 / down line. Today it has all been wired up, following which it was all ballasted and is currently drying. 

Sunday 3pm in the Model Railway room - As Johnnie Walker starts on Radio 2 (Sounds of the 70s), the Buffet carriage opens - aka the Bar :-)

3pmrailwayroom.jpg.e444b737426c2998d087c7b2a656a0b8.jpg

The new points are shewn here with the 64xx in Platform 1 and the Hall class 4-6-0 on the approach to the carriage sidings. After several months of inactivity, both locos worked straight away, with no track cleaning, which I think was probably luck than judgement. There were a few cobwebs, but given its a garden shed, not many at all.

NewPoints27-11-16.jpg.e007eeca301be05a6a1997eae7bd7892.jpg

These are my new wagons for 2016; Horlicks being this years Bachmann members club wagon; followed by the Model Rail wagon for new subscribers is that from St Belgo Anglaise which was an LNER wagon from the 1930's for the ferry trains. These are followed by two wagons from POW wagon sides; Hortons being the local Henley coal factor and Richard Webster being coal merchants from Taplow; Maidenhead

Wagons27-11-16.jpg.120aa86ceb9c77843f0ca80c8c8d2874.jpg

In doing a Google search for Richard Webster & co, I came across this:

https://talkaboutbletchley.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/bletchleys-trade-industry/

Neals Bazaar in Bletchley; After the retirement of Mr. and Mrs. Bolton, from December 1st 1945 'The Bletchley Bazaar' became 'The Bazaar', run by Mr. E. Neal. - photo from the Bletchley Gazette

Nealbazaar.jpg.36ffb1b11436130325a9b371d49d473e.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

After much lobbying, it is great to see that 2017 will see two new GWR Toad Brake vans. 

The Hornby one was announced yesterday and is a 20ton AA15 van:

Hornbytoad2.jpg.93bd9569dc513f4603d112ee9bfb36a0.jpg

The Oxford version is an AA1 - although it looks as if development is further behind than Hornby. But Oxford don't communicate in the same way as Hornby

OxfordToadBrakeVan.jpg.61e07498556e13d8981c23a87638f0eb.jpg

It just remains to be seen, what GWR goodies Bachmann might come up with when they announce in March(?) 2017. A few years ago, Hornby were criticised for not talking to the modelling community, thankfully that has all changed, leaving (to my mind) Bachmann being the silent manufacturer. 2016 has seen a plethora of new "Red box" announcements, with "Blue Box" relying only on the club magazine.

Good news that Hornby are producing a 2017 catalogue.

More soon, 

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

After much lobbying, it is great to see that 2017 will see two new GWR Toad Brake vans. 

The Hornby one was announced yesterday and is a 20ton AA15 van:

attachicon.gifHornby toad 2.jpg

The Oxford version is an AA1 - although it looks as if development is further behind than Hornby. But Oxford don't communicate in the same way as Hornby

attachicon.gifOxford Toad Brake Van.jpg

It just remains to be seen, what GWR goodies Bachmann might come up with when they announce in March(?) 2017. A few years ago, Hornby were criticised for not talking to the modelling community, thankfully that has all changed, leaving (to my mind) Bachmann being the silent manufacturer. 2016 has seen a plethora of new "Red box" announcements, with "Blue Box" relying only on the club magazine.

Good news that Hornby are producing a 2017 catalogue.

More soon, 

Bachmann are consolidating again so that means not a lot as usual.  :sarcastic:

• RMweb Premium

This weekends motorhome adventure: Dunster by candlelight

Hoping to pop into the WSR either tomorrow or Sunday, but depends on how many kids are around... it's Santa season :-(

post-6981-0-80882900-1480715731_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For the majority of you reading this thread, there is a certain excitement about what Santa will bring on the 25th - will it be that new XYZ loco from company XXYY, but some of us still have birthdays in December - I know bad planning, but clearly not my choice!!

Anyway - Happy Birthday to me - It's today and to make matters worse / better, I have been at work today for the first time in years.

Robbie didn't know what else to get / what was in stock at the relevant suppliers... so got me the Hornby King - its great as you can see from the 'photos.

post-6981-0-62333500-1481139656_thumb.jpg

King James 1 seen outside the Henley signal box.

Then at the head of a train about to leave Platform 1

post-6981-0-77688200-1481140020_thumb.jpg

The loco will be fitted with a sound chip shortly :-)

Edited by Neal Ball
typo
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

One of those fiddly afternoons!

Time to set to and get the decoder into the King - first of all running it in on DC, where it ran like a dream. DCC was a bit different though....

I found a DCC Concepts small decoder which I thought was probably new, installed and set everything onto the Programming track to change the ID - nothing. Couldn't find any other spare decoders (until afterwards!), so stripped the decoder out of the track-cleaner, loosing one of its pick-ups in the process! Still nothing.

To cut a very long story short, it seems the Programming track is not working, or at least the controllers ability to program onto it is not there. But I could program on the main. Two hours wasted :-(

Anyway, a bit of a play, saw the new Hornby Collets out and then a couple of Bachmann Collets - it easily pulled six up the slope. 

I need a really good cleaning session and then we will see what it will pull up there.

Someone on one of the King threads said theirs didn't run slowly. Must be an issue with that loco, it ran very slowly into the station, even with some dodgy track.

Overall I am very impressed. The coal was a bit of a faff to get out, but its out now, waiting for some real coal to go in there. Plus some crew and some lamps and it will look nice pulling into the new double Red route that is Henley on Thames :-)

Having brought its train into Platform 2/3

post-6981-0-36222400-1481997303_thumb.jpg

Preparing for departure from Platform 1

post-6981-0-92233500-1481997004_thumb.jpg

post-6981-0-73045300-1481997317_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the comments, I need to crack on, it's been ages since anything changed. Life has taken over in 2016.

Talking of lamps, I need to get lamps onto my locos. Will make a big difference, oh and crew of course.

• Like 1