Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is what I used:

"SLC012: GWR Finials (pack of 4+4+4+4) - Wizard Models Limited" https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/buildings/slc012/

IMG_20220123_000702.jpg.21b979f484ddbadf93d91c46137ff616.jpg

1 hour ago, KNP said:

I used the same on my two signals boxes, just adds that final (?) touch.

Thanks very much

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Monday morning and what does this week have in store for Henley on Thames?

Well for one thing, the next quarters new products will be announced from Bachmann on Wednesday at 9am UK time.

Can we expect any new tooled Great Western items? Strangely the rumour mill seems to be very quiet on this at the moment... Could we see:

• A Saint - I am very surprised that a new model hasn't been announced following the steaming of no 2999 Lady of Legend.
  • A new range of 57xx (or something earlier), Pannier tanks with no top-feed.
  • A new range of GWR carriages. Perhaps the Collett excursion stock, or a full (new tool) range of Sunshine stock. GWR carriages haven't been in the range for a few years now.

This weekend I have been thumbing through the 2022 Hornby catalogue and counted the number of GWR locos...

There are 97 Steam locos in the main range, yet only 6 Great Western locos; 4 of which were the Prairie tanks in different liveries (incl 2 x BR).

Seems most odd that the balance has shifted so far to the LMS and LNER; maybe us GWR modellers have upset Hornby somewhere down the line.

For this week, I intend to continue with my carriages projects of the H57 and H44.

Over the weekend, I bought a thermometer from the local tat shop and it currently sits next to the layout. The idea being that as soon as we start getting some decent temperatures, I will want to start spraying the carriages so I can finish them off. We are probably about a month away from that at the moment. This week we have some high daytime temps, but as a result, it's getting cold overnight.

I am also going to change some of my wiring this week. There has recently been a discussion on @Andy Keane Helston layout about the feeds for my Autofrogs (Power for the frog, rather than point control) and its come to light that I've wired them up wrong! As I have them set up in batches, it's going to be fairly easy to swap them from one BUS line to another. 

Then it's on to the engine shed and turntable, which all need to be finished off and of course, I need to continue testing the turntable as well.

So just another week at Henley on Thames. Where hopefully there will be progress on a number of fronts. Whatever your plans, have a good week.

edit: April 2022 - I didn't keep the Bachmann image that was originally here, so have substituted this from their website.

I guess the next quarterly announcements will be during the first week of May.... There haven't been any new tooling items for the GWR for quite a while... maybe May will see this corrected..

Bachmann.jpg.f351f3c337a969d3f78ca756e3d3bf53.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Re-wiring part 1.

I successfully changed the autofrogs feed on the fiddle yard points from the accessory BUS to the FY bus. I only found one fault, as one of the wires became detached from an autofrog, quickly soldered up and on my way.

I next tackled the engine shed points, moving those autofrogs onto the correct bus. In doing so, I had to re wire a point motor which stopped working a few days ago and then found a surplus autofrog. All tested and moved on.

The autofrogs left to change over are the ones in the station area, but these ones will need a bit more work as I want to divide the bus. Hopefully that will be straightforward and I can do it tomorrow. At least with these they are at the side of the board rather than underneath it.

Todays turntable testing photos:

It was the turn of the king today… Ive said before that Henley wasn’t double red, but I like the loco. Although it was tight on the turntable!

IMG_9873.jpeg.c96f113b35b277c6b75d7e7070f1e769.jpeg

This was followed by one of my Pannier tank locos (photo to follow) and then the Priarie tank 45xx

The Prairie looked at home on the depot turntable roads.

More “testing” over the next few days.

Tomorrow will be taken up with the autofrogs and hopefully, I can get back to the carriages project.

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 18

On 31/01/2022 at 07:45, Neal Ball said:

Monday morning and what does this week have in store for Henley on Thames?

Well for one thing, the next quarters new products will be announced from Bachmann on Wednesday at 9am UK time.

Can we expect any new tooled Great Western items? Strangely the rumour mill seems to be very quiet on this at the moment... Could we see:

• A Saint - I am very surprised that a new model hasn't been announced following the steaming of no 2999 Lady of Legend.
  • A new range of 57xx (or something earlier), Pannier tanks with no top-feed.
  • A new range of GWR carriages. Perhaps the Collett excursion stock, or a full (new tool) range of Sunshine stock. GWR carriages haven't been in the range for a few years now.

This weekend I have been thumbing through the 2022 Hornby catalogue and counted the number of GWR locos...

There are 97 Steam locos in the main range, yet only 6 Great Western locos; 4 of which were the Prairie tanks in different liveries (incl 2 x BR).

Seems most odd that the balance has shifted so far to the LMS and LNER; maybe us GWR modellers have upset Hornby somewhere down the line.

For this week, I intend to continue with my carriages projects of the H57 and H44.

Over the weekend, I bought a thermometer from the local tat shop and it currently sits next to the layout. The idea being that as soon as we start getting some decent temperatures, I will want to start spraying the carriages so I can finish them off. We are probably about a month away from that at the moment. This week we have some high daytime temps, but as a result, it's getting cold overnight.

I am also going to change some of my wiring this week. There has recently been a discussion on @Andy Keane Helston layout about the feeds for my Autofrogs (Power for the frog, rather than point control) and its come to light that I've wired them up wrong! As I have them set up in batches, it's going to be fairly easy to swap them from one BUS line to another. 

Then it's on to the engine shed and turntable, which all need to be finished off and of course, I need to continue testing the turntable as well.

So just another week at Henley on Thames. Where hopefully there will be progress on a number of fronts. Whatever your plans, have a good week.

1059504256_Bachmann2022.jpg.ef2b64994d556dbf85d45b298487a122.jpg

I’ve recently subscribed to this thread having been impressed with the layout and modelling content and the helpful and supportive nature of the posts (and the fact that 1930’s GWR coincides with my own interests) – well done all and keep it up!

As for Bachmann’s announcements tomorrow I’m not overly excited, I’ve always had the impression that they believe that the GWR only existed 1945-1947. What is NOT announced is often more important than what IS – at least I can go about ordering kits knowing that they are not going to be usurped by a better painted RTR models for a couple of years at least.

Some Large Windowed or Sunshine Stock would be nice though, I’ve had my fill of the ex-Mainline Third (also masquerading as a Composite and First) and Brake Composite. A proper 60/61’ Composite, Brake Third and First would be very welcome.

Let’s see…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Star-rider said:

I’ve recently subscribed to this thread having been impressed with the layout and modelling content and the helpful and supportive nature of the posts (and the fact that 1930’s GWR coincides with my own interests) – well done all and keep it up!

As for Bachmann’s announcements tomorrow I’m not overly excited, I’ve always had the impression that they believe that the GWR only existed 1945-1947. What is NOT announced is often more important than what IS – at least I can go about ordering kits knowing that they are not going to be usurped by a better painted RTR models for a couple of years at least.

Some Large Windowed or Sunshine Stock would be nice though, I’ve had my fill of the ex-Mainline Third (also masquerading as a Composite and First) and Brake Composite. A proper 60/61’ Composite, Brake Third and First would be very welcome.

Let’s see…

Thanks for the comments and glad you like the thread and the GWR in the '30s.

I agree about Bachmann's announcement tomorrow... it had all been quiet until about 5:30pm this afternoon regarding their 2022 range. (Maybe they had changed their mind). I therefore emailed the club asking if it was still on... to be met with "Keep an eye on our website and YouTube" and then the email about 2022 arrives a couple of hours later!

You never know, they might announce something, but after the lack of anything GWR from Hornby, I too am banking on my carriage kits keeping me busy this year.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Todays Turntable testing, saw three Pannier tank 0-6-0PT around the table.

1338102921_Panniersfilmstrip.jpg.42e3fb6fb910c9e79aaa1195fd83f941.jpg

Testing continues.... have a good evening.

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Bachmann Spring 2022 for the GWR afficionado: New small Prairies.

Well, it's something at least...

Saves me a fortune.... now where's the Comet catalogue, what carriages shall i do next?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Completely underwhelmed with todays Bachmann announcement.

Just as well I have two carriages on the workbench to keep me busy. I'm finding this very rewarding and it's the sort of thing I can keep going back to.

I've run out of seatends so the majority are now, "made to measure" and to be honest are better than the brass ends. I will next be fabricating my own tables as I don't have enough for both carriages.

This is the current workbench with the H44 (3rd class Restaurant open) and the H57 Composite Restaurant carriages.

IMG_9975.jpeg.f4191a8cef3b19a15755f4a459d0f057.jpeg

Remaining jobs on these carriages are cosmetic more than anything else; tables; lamps etc. Ahead of getting sprayed then glazed and door handles etc.

The H57 is set to have new corridor connections and the H44 is also set for new bogies. I've got an order from Comet at customs at the moment. Any future orders will wait until we get over to the UK next.

Edited by Neal Ball
photo changed
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I should add that as well as two carriages on the workbench, I already have a Diagram D120 Brake 3rd; C69 corridor 3rd in stock to do, plus the H33 Restaurant carriage in the post.

If I get bored I could also finish the Slaters Toplights :-)

Maybe also 2022 might see me complete a lot of the half-finished jobs around the railway!

Plenty to do, until.... oh yes a certain Manor arrives at Henley on Thames.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Enjoy!

23 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Andy has made simple lists of products with photos in the Bachmann area:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/5-Bachmann/

Thanks very much both!  Before I click the links...

I do not need any more locos

etc!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks very much both!  Before I click the links...

etc!

Im sure you need a lot more class 47's on Chufnell Regis... It seemed to be the class 47 show :-(

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neal Ball said:

Im sure you need a lot more class 47's on Chufnell Regis... It seemed to be the class 47 show :-(

Indeed.  The pannier is nice, but I already have one (albeit in wartime black).  And I also have a Bachmann small prairie, although I need to convert that to DCC (what could possibly go wrong?!)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Indeed.  The pannier is nice, but I already have one (albeit in wartime black).  And I also have a Bachmann small prairie, although I need to convert that to DCC (what could possibly go wrong?!)

Oh yes, I forgot about the "new" pannier!

I guess I put it out of my mind because it's not as adventurous as the possible choices we've been talking about elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I guess I put it out of my mind because it's not as adventurous as the possible choices we've been talking about elsewhere.

Now that we've got both of the 2022 non-gar announcements out of the way, I need to crack on and get my Pannier poll on-line. Only needs a bit more research to pull it all together.

• Like 8

Agreed, a lightweight pannier in the range of liveries between 1923-65 would be a good seller.

Nice 45xx in full Great Western. But I already have one!

The Vanwides look good, although they're inappropriate for my layout and I was surprised at the nearly £40 price tag.

I think I will stick with my kit built wagons!

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I see the price for the 15? year old 4575 is the same as that which Accurascale are charging for a newly tooled (and much higher standard) Manor.    I do need one more 4575 eventually  but oddly enough I will be looking at the second hand market.l for it….

the Centenary interiors are coming a long nicely, as I’ve mentioned before I still need to crack on and build the interiors for mine. Looking at those brass chair ends, they can stay in the packet!  I wonder if they were intended for a different seat moulding originally?   I think for mine I will modify my own seat drawing and make my own 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I think they are hammering out 47s to provide a model in as many variations as possible before the Heljan model hits the shelves.  Also Accurascale with their 55 and 37 have a number of variations out in their first releases so it's in that vein that every three months we will get even more 47s.

5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I saw a pannier and thought, wonder if it will have a top feed, but it was a 64xx and business as usual for panniers.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Agreed, a lightweight pannier in the range of liveries between 1923-65 would be a good seller.

Nice 45xx in full Great Western. But I already have one!

The Vanwides look good, although they're inappropriate for my layout and I was surprised at the nearly £40 price tag.

I think I will stick with my kit built wagons!

Agreed a new Pannier without Topfeed - sadly Bachmann are not listening...

If only it was a newly tooled 45xx... but No!

4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I see the price for the 15? year old 4575 is the same as that which Accurascale are charging for a newly tooled (and much higher standard) Manor.    I do need one more 4575 eventually  but oddly enough I will be looking at the second hand market.l for it….

the Centenary interiors are coming a long nicely, as I’ve mentioned before I still need to crack on and build the interiors for mine. Looking at those brass chair ends, they can stay in the packet!  I wonder if they were intended for a different seat moulding originally?   I think for mine I will modify my own seat drawing and make my own 

Thanks Rich, Yes the interiors are coming along very well. Also a Yes to making my own seat ends.

Crazy price for the 4575... and it was billed as if it was a new loco...

31 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Without topfeed!

Definitely Nick.

9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I think they are hammering out 47s to provide a model in as many variations as possible before the Heljan model hits the shelves.  Also Accurascale with their 55 and 37 have a number of variations out in their first releases so it's in that vein that every three months we will get even more 47s.

I saw a pannier and thought, wonder if it will have a top feed, but it was a 64xx and business as usual for panniers.

New Pannier - yes please - but I doubt Bachmann are listening.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we should all send a similar email to Bachmann.... "Dear Richard Proudman, GWR modellers are crying out for new GWR locos (Pannier tanks without topfeeds); maybe a new Saint loco; or maybe xx (your choice of GWR loco here). But also from Bachmann a new range of carriages....."

"Now here's a thing Bachmann / Hornby, what's going to happen is that having not released new GWR stock for years, both main manufacturers will release locos / carriages at the same time... and you will wonder why they don't sell...."

"So come on do yourself a favour and release details of project x ASAP"

Of course you might have your own views about this... I'm not particularly desperate for any new locos or carriages, but some variety would be good.

I know Bachmann have had supply issues over the recent years and its good that they are only announcing in sensible chunks.... I suppose the only good thing is that Richard said in the video that they are getting through the backlog of previously announced projects... Hopefully they have now caught up.

Its not life changing, but would be nice for Bachmann to enter the GWR market again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2