Does anyone make a nice modern motorway bridge?

topsy11

Hello,

Does any company/person make a modern 00 gauge motorway style bridge. I'm after one to span several tracks to create a bit of a visual break to my layout.

The only one I can find is the cardboard one with the graffiti on the supports. It looks ok but just seeing what else is available really.

If anyone knows of any other kits or people who produce them - preferably made from plastic then I'd be very grateful for info.

Kind regards

Mark

I can't remember seeing one as a plastc kit from a British manfacturer but have you tried H0 scale kits?  As European and US loading gauges are larger the height should be ok and the other dimensions would probably pass ok too being as there's no doorway heights to be wrong.

Heres one direct from a google search http://www.rixproducts.com/6280113.htm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I can't fit a tunnel in that section of the layout as its to go over 3 sidings and then the 2 mainline sections of track on an 18" wide piece of board. I just want it as a sort of scenery break and thought a large road/motorway bridge would fit the bill.

I don't really have the skill at the moment to build something myself so was hoping for something that I could either use from the box or adapt slightly.

I've had a look at Kingsway Models but they seem to produce cardboard kits which isn't what I really want.

Many thanks again.

Mark

An alternative is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72979-sin-city-33rd-street-switching/post #10 - This is made from wood strip and dowel for the supports MDF for the road deck and plastic extrusions in various sizes for the bridge itself - the railings are from evergreen styrene strip and cut down L shaped extrusion, cut to form the railing uprights. there is a further picture in the last-but-one post on that page

• 2 weeks later...

I found one way to make a motorway bridge, that I'm doing, is by taking a look at the roads and pavements kit from scalescenes which includes a dual carriageway. With that I simply measured the space between the two lanes and adding and adding the same spacing on the left and right to make the third lane and hard shoulder then doubling it for the other side. If my memory serves me right I think the spacing between lanes is 19 -19 1/2 mm. I do know there is post on here somewhere about how to make things like crash barriers from ribbed food containers but can't remember where. Oh and if you look here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40199-new-bryford/which has info on how to make one by hand and make the sign gantries too.

Hope this helps

An alternative is the Metal trays that ready-meals are supplied in - cut the bottom out - take an old magazine - lay the metal on it and then take a blunt pencil/ball-point pen, or a bamboo skewer with the end rounded on sandpaper, and a ruler and draw 2 parallel lines about 1/10" apart - cut this strip out and you will have a perfect "dubble-bubble" Armco strip - add supports from offcuts of square micro strip or evergreen rod.

• 3 weeks later...

If my memory serves me right I think the spacing between lanes is 19 -19 1/2 mm.

These would be pretty narrow lanes for a motorway!  Motorway lanes are approximately 12 feet wide (3.7m), which in 4mm scale means they would be 48 mm.  The hard shoulder is normally a little narrower, but still around 11 feet (ie 44 mm).

Regards

David

Hello Mark

I've been there myself - searching for a motorway bridge kit for my HO layout  to use as the scenic break going into the fiddle yard.

All I found was the RIX kit   ........ and I was looking into using that.

I had decided to build a motorway bridge under construction to explain the lack of traffic and lack of approach roads .... to be honest I would probably ended up with some mdf painted tarmac with some guys in hi-viz jackets fitting crash barriers........ until  ....

Through the MRF forum I met a civil engineer who offered to help with my layout ..... he asked how he could help   .... I said "could you make me a bridge?"  He said "yes".

He is building the bridge under construction like a real bridge would be built. We're having tower cranes .... exposed girders .... pouring concrete etc

Here is an early photo taken last year ... it's moved on a bit since but I haven't got any photos. It's a eight lane highway  .... it angles into the backscene and so the white plasticard is just one carriage way and that is a bout 210mm wide

post-4476-0-11564700-1416145780_thumb.jp

From being just a device to hide the tracks going into the backscene, it has now become a major scenic feature in its own right

Archived