1920s:- Leesburg - On30 and Glyn Valley Tramway - O-16.5

Jeff Smith

I have been posting a few pictures here and there with elements of this layout for a couple of years and as it is now almost finished I thought it deserved its own thread.  I have modelled P4 LT/GWR/NL for 25+ years and wanted a change.  Initially I thought of O-16.5 but then discovered the Bachmann On30 range and an inspirational layout construction site http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/on30/beginner/that told me most of what I needed to get started.  It describes an 8' x 4' oval layout divided into two 8' x 2' sides with through running.  I set out to build the two baseboards, one US On30 and the other Welsh O-16.5 as shown below with one board in situ.  This is actually the second board that hasn't been started yet.

post-7723-0-76175900-1419101204_thumb.jpg

This shows the initial Micro Engineering Code 70 track laid on cork thick enough to fit the uncoupling magnets under the track.

post-7723-0-98859100-1419102684_thumb.jpg

Here is the initial scenery with tunnel mouth and contour built up with suspended ceiling tile pieces hot glued into place.  Some craftsman building kits and the level crossing.

post-7723-0-77982500-1419103003_thumb.jpg

Story to be continued in subsequent posts.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I agree - the site is well worth a look (as are the US forum sites linked to on his site).

Over the years, Harold Minkwitz has posted a lot of fascinating stuff about modelling in a couple of "narrow gauge" scales - which often seem to involve the use of modified RTR and kits, originally sold for use in other scales, generally running on HO track modified to look "narrow gauge".

His favoured scales seem to be On30 (which probably needs no introduction here) - and what he refers to as 55n3 (1:55 - or about 5.5mm / foot - prototype track gauge of 3 feet).

His site includes links to 2 well known US forum sites, both of which include rather good On30 sections - Railroad Line and FreeRails (there's a lot of good stuff on both sites - which can be viewed without needing to register).

Both of these forum sites include a lot of (usually relatively cheap) HO RTR mechanisms being hacked about and fitted with new bodies - sometimes scratchbuilt - sometimes kits - stuff intended for one scale being adapted to another scale seems a lot more commonplace than it might be on here. (Military vehicle kits often seem to feature as donors for these conversions - a number of which can only be described as amazing.)

At this point, I should probably mention that I've actually been a member of both sites for a number of years (only posted a few times on Railroad Line - much more active on FreeRails, which I joined about the same time as I joined RMweb - but I haven't been very active on either recently, due to other commitments).

Returning to your layout, I like the idea of effectively splitting one layout into 2 sides, based on different countries, eras etc. This trick has actually been tried elsewhere (I can remember a coffee table tram layout in a Model Railroader layouts "special" - OK, rather a large, homebrew, coffee table - split into 4 sections, to represent different seasons).

This approach to layout building allows you to run different stock on the track at different times - giving you 2 completely different layouts in the space of 1 - with either half using the other as a fiddle yard - very clever and (if well executed) very effective.

Needless to say, I'll be following this with interest.

Regards,

Huw.

OK, on with the story.  For those not familiar with On30 it is US O scale, ie 1/48th on 16.5mm track.  This represents 2'6" gauge which is a bit ridiculous as almost all US narrow gauge was 3', with a fair bit of 2' mainly in the North Eastern states.  The Bachmann models are mostly of 3' prototypes with some 2'.  So you have to have an open mind to accept the compromises.  Some of the models could even be used on 1/55 layouts - 16.5mm track in 1/55th is 3' gauge......

A word about the track, I bought a Micro Engineering code 70 turnout and a Peco O-16.5 code 100 to compare - they are approximately the same price here in the US.  ME has a much more appropriate US look so I went with that.  The buildings are mostly Bantaworks laser cut timber (some considerably modified) with the station being from Laserkits.  The grounded box car was scratch built, as was the tunnel mouth and retaining walls.  All the ground cover is Woodland Scenics with the trees scratch built from multi-strand cable and brass wire with hot glue trunks.  Control is DCC with a Digitrax Zephyr.

The layout is largely complete with details still to be added together with the final lighting scheme.

post-7723-0-50673300-1419128227_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-23839300-1419128277_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-39621200-1419128299_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-86719500-1419128333_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-54980900-1419128359_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-79366400-1419128397_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-07555400-1419128421_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-97400400-1419128453_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-30079100-1419128479_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-56380500-1419128500_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

One thing I didn't mention about the track was the point operation. The points are live frog so needed to be switched as well as moved. I have used Tortoise motors before and they are excellent but being budget minded with this layout opted for manual operation using Blue Point machines with built-in frog polarity switches. I just use push-rods made from old hollow aluminium knitting needles. As you can see the Blue Point is about half the size (and cost) of a Tortoise and can be actuated from either side to make the 'sense' logical.

post-7723-0-84962200-1419263887.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff

Looks great. Any more of the build process.

I was going to use Tham valley dcc point controllers to operate my layout but I think that I might also be opting for just a simple push pull rod system with a micro switch to change the frog polarity due to money budgeting. I can easily upgrade to dcc at a latter date.

Kind regards Dan

Do you have a picture of the Welsh side track plan, being a Brit I model 16.5 Welsh, my son models US On30 this would solve a problem in our household.

David

A Brit in the USA

Dave - I have not started the Welsh side yet other than building the 8'x2' baseboard.  However I have had some thoughts on how to make it look like a terminus by using an engine or carriage shed (GVT based) as the disguise for the return to the On30 side.  My thinking is to build it backing onto an embankment, obviously sized for On30 stock, to allow through running.  I will be using Peco O-16.5 track as this approximates the GVT track and is actually the correct scale gauge.

I used Bachmann EZ Track to align across the baseboard joints.  With the two boards bolted together I stuck two joined pieces of  (18") curved EZ Track across each joint so that when the boards are split and re-joined the track ends will self-align.  This HO track is hidden in the tunnel and cutting on the On30 side.  On the Welsh side it will be inside the embankment at one end and under an over-bridge at the other.

I would really like to incorporate a scenic SG exchange siding but may be faced with a decision about whether to model a station or a yard, as I don't think I'll have room for both in what will effectively be about 6' of scenic track.

Mine was going to be 12' x 2' going into a fiddle yard but it would have been a compromise of the track US vs GB and having to have a trackplan that was also a compromise US vs GB track layout and of course i could have swapped out buildings but they would have had to have the same footprint.

So this idea could be the ideal compromise.

David

A Brit in the USA

David - A bit more research on the GVT reveals that the tram locos were required by the BOT to travel cab first so needed to be turned at each terminus - small (less that 12' dia) manual turntables were provided at Crick and Glynceiriog. So one will have to be included. Although these two stations were termini for passenger operation the lines continued past for goods trains thus giving the reason for through running with perhaps bridges at both ends.....

• 2 months later...

That may also partially explain the 0-4-2 configuration with what is normally considered the "trailing truck" to in fact by a "leading truck" for smoother running into curves in addition to supporting the cab/firebox end of the locomotive.

If I ever built one of these I would probably just stick with an 0-6-0 mechanism.

• 9 months later...

Any progress with this? I'm getting a bit bored with planning end to end layouts, so might do something similar in O-16.5. Not sure about the two countries though, as it might start giving me expensive ideas. I've already got two Bachmann On30 coaches, but they're a cancelled export order bought by a British railway!

I had been concentrating on rolling stock which appears at the end of this thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45685-peco-o-165-gvt-beyer-peacock-kit/

Also have been amassing Peco O-16.5 track and points. A Kitwood Hills turntable kit, Blue Point manual point switches, cork underlay and undertrack uncoupling magnets.

The trackplan is pretty well finalized, I'll work on a presentable plan. It will incorporate a station, loop, exchange SG siding, additional siding and headshunt for shunting and parking, turntable and loco shed. The appearance will be a terminus but with disguised through running through the engine shed.....

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

Here's my working plan - tidied up somewhat.  One foot squares.

The loop end between points 2 and 3 is still open to debate as I really wanted to have it going the other way (can be faintly seen) such that when in use as a fiddle yard for the Leesburg side I could park a train in the loop, run another through and then continue the first....I think it might prove a bit tight because of the turntable.  However having the TT in the main running line may not be a good idea so I might move it to the headshunt thus allowing me to reverse that connection.  Magnet positions are not finalized but the Kadee style couplings allow for uncoupling then pushback without re-coupling

Typical operation with current plan would be, train arrives from the right (loco/coaches/wagons/brake van).  Passengers alight, loco uncouples, runs round and pushes coaches into headshunt, uncouples, pulls wagons back clear of point No 5.  Assuming empty wagons are waiting in the exchange siding, loco pushes loaded wagons into exchange siding, couples and pulls back clear of point No 4.  Pushes all wagons into middle siding and drops off the empty ones.  Then drops the loaded ones in the exchange siding together with the brake van.  Loco runs round the loop, gets turned on the turntable and runs back to the station line and continues to pick up coaches from the headshunt, unloaded wagons from the middle siding, and finally backs train into the exchange siding to collect the brake van.  Passengers can now board and train departs.....

This sequence would still work with the loop connection the other way round but trains would have to be shorter and an extra operation may be needed to clear the headshunt of coaches to get access to the turntable.  It needs some thought.  In fact the GVT often divided long trains and handled half at a time.  Some trains were freight only but evidence suggests that very few were just passenger trains, usually some wagons were attached but always after the coaches.  The locos were required by the BOT to run cab first but photographic evidence says otherwise.  Also the Baldwin was too long to fit the turntables.

post-7723-0-45384400-1452714873_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

OK, I have decided rather than start a new thread for the GVT half of the layout I just changed the title and will post both topics on here as the mood takes me....I keep switching while modelling so why not?

It's described in one of my reference threads so as it is new for Leesburg here's a couple of pics of the SR&RL Doodlebug, complete with guard with a particularly meaty hand!  Also just to show how compatible On30 and O-16.5 are together, the excellent Bachman side tippers in an On30 train and then a GVT one...

Other threads have gone into great lengths describing my decision to standardize on Kadee style magnetic couplers for both scales and my search for non-magnetic spoked wheels for the Welsh stock (Hornby 12.5mm wagon wheels with new brass axles).  This has paid off as can be seen.

post-7723-0-32340200-1452722986_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-16475700-1452723006_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-11747100-1452723161_thumb.jpg

post-7723-0-59082000-1452723188_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I suppose another way way round this is to set it in a country where the line was built by the British, who gradually lost their influence to Uncle Sam, and the Americans had to supply smaller than usual stock to fit the British loading gauge!

• 1 month later...

I have ventured into the world of weathering largely using a four step weathering set from Micro-Mark called 'Rust n Dust'.  It comprises two washes, rust and black, a clear coat and a pot of very fine dust.  They are all water based but the rust also contains Isopropyl Alcohol which attacks Vallejo paint even after several weeks of curing.  Anyway after some experimentation I weathered my Midwest Quarry train and added loads to the V tippers (these will also be used on the Welsh half).

post-7723-0-17943500-1455592059_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-16773800-1455592076_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-86616500-1455592093_thumb.jpg

I also added a few figures.

post-7723-0-71564700-1455592193_thumb.jpg

The Doodlebug has been given a gentle weathering, as has the old maroon PRR saloon car that has now been repainted green and lettered for the Sandy River & Rangely Lakes RR (must fix the ill-fitting roofs).

post-7723-0-51067600-1455592439_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-35964800-1455592453_thumb.jpg

Finally the SR&RL caboose which I thought looked ok until I photographed it...and the road number and coal load added to the Forney (SR&RL had three 2-4-4 Forneys #8, 9 and 10) but not yet weathered.

post-7723-0-77511700-1455593057_thumb.jpgpost-7723-0-02514200-1455593072_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Just an update on these layouts, the whole layout, the completed On30 side and the not-yet started other side have been sold for display in a 1930's themed restaurant. So I will discontinue this thread and have started a new one for the newly imagined GVT layout which will be built on lightweight open topped boards and be a scaled representation of Chirk.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125291-gvt-proposed-0-165-layout/

Edited by Jeff Smith