ICI 40t Bogie Caustic Tankers - Where, when, who?

Wild Boar Fell

Hello,

I am trying to find out information on the construction and operation of the ICI 40t Bogie Tankers (For carrying caustic soda), these were the ones modelled by Hornby Dublo. On the old forum there is some information about the demise of these wagons but little about when they were built and where they operated, as well as what they ran with. If anyone has and ideas about the above and general information about the wagons (it appears there were two bogie designs etc) I would be very greatful.

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Wil try find my pictures for you buddy..

I also no that the tanker company who built them was called "Standard wagon"  who built tankers in 1968 for ICI,

but then ice leased to other Sodium hydroxide companys...

Some tankers had ICI decals and others had ATO ...

Hope this helps...

cheers neil..

Wil try find my pictures for you buddy..

I also no that the tanker company who built them was called "Standard wagon"  who built tankers in 1968 for ICI,

but then ice leased to other Sodium hydroxide companys...

Some tankers had ICI decals and others had ATO ...

Hope this helps...

cheers neil..

I think the wagons being discussed were a bit older than this- the Hornby-Dublo model dates from the mid-1960s at the latest.

• Like 1

Book "Celebration of Steam West Midlands" by J B Bucknall (Ian Allan)

Page 56 (top) Photo of a GW Pannier tank loco (6422) hauling one ICI bogie tank + Brake Van on 26 April 1957 at Oxley Branch Jcn working the Saturdays only Courtaulds sidings - Oxley sidings train. Caustic Soda mentioned as load.

Page 56 (bottom) Photo of GW 2-8-0 No 2850 on a local freight Oxley to Baggeridge Jcn again at Oxley Branch Jcn. Behind loco is a LMS Guards Van, ICI Bogie Tanker, 2 wood open wagons, 2 more ICI bogie tankers and then various wagons disappearing behind a tree !! No further details

This off the web - a blue (Hornby Dublo) one

lnwrf2075.jpg

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrf2075.htm

Hope this is of use.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3

Loving this photo!

Page 56 (top) Photo of a GW Pannier tank loco (6422) hauling one ICI bogie tank + Brake Van on 26 April 1957 at Oxley Branch Jcn working the Saturdays only Courtaulds sidings - Oxley sidings train. Caustic Soda mentioned as load.

Page 56 (bottom) Photo of GW 2-8-0 No 2850 on a local freight Oxley to Baggeridge Jcn again at Oxley Branch Jcn. Behind loco is a LMS Guards Van, ICI Bogie Tanker, 2 wood open wagons, 2 more ICI bogie tankers and then various wagons disappearing behind a tree !! No further details

lnwrf2075.jpg

Hope this is of use.

Brit15

I feel this picture is worthy of another thread relating to looking like the real thing! Perhaps the hanging basket/static grass is a bit unrealistic, but otherwise I do like the attempt at making it look realistic. I think the use of the plain grey back scene and faded gasworks work well to give a feeling of depth. Nice weathering on the rolling stock, but there's no hiding that those buildings are cardboard...

i'll get my coat.

TTFN,

Ben

• Funny 1

lnwrf2075.jpg

Hope this is of use.

Brit15

I like this photo too. I am intrigued by the ground disc signal: did this rotate around its vertical axis to change the indication? Time to Google I suppose!

Edited by david.hill64

Loving this photo!

I feel this picture is worthy of another thread relating to looking like the real thing! Perhaps the hanging basket/static grass is a bit unrealistic, but otherwise I do like the attempt at making it look realistic. I think the use of the plain grey back scene and faded gasworks work well to give a feeling of depth. Nice weathering on the rolling stock, but there's no hiding that those buildings are cardboard...

i'll get my coat.

TTFN,

Ben

And a Cardiff Corporation 'bus in the West Midlands....................

Brian R

Loving this photo!

i'll get my coat.

TTFN,

Ben

That rake of tank wagons is improbably mixed...

The fleet of ICI bogie caustic soda tanks was initially built to work from the companies Castner-Kellner works in Runcorn to the Courtaulds plant at Flint, although as the fleet grew they spread their wings a little.  The Catalyst Museum in Widnes hold the ICI General Chemical Division paper archive which contains more details.

Davefreight

Edited by davefreight

That rake of tank wagons is improbably mixed...

I was just thinking that as well- I don't really know much about the Murgatroyds & ICI tankers other than being aware of the HD & Triang models, but had always assumed they were the kind of wagon generally seen in block trains, rather than singly in general mixed goods workings.

I don't remember ever seeing the real thing in traffic, but a former clubmate is a Triang collector and had a fair number of the white Murgatroyds tankers which he sometimes brought out for club running nights, so I guess I'm used to seeing them in block trains in model form

Should these tanks and the bogie Chlorine ones appear on the wish list for 2015?

Mark Saunders

They're impressive beasts aren't they- after looking at those pics, I'm definitely feeling the need to own one or two....

At the risk of heading off-topic into general wishlistery, how good are the old HD & Triang models? Apart from the usual 1960's-standard wheels and bogies, are the basic mouldings accurate or did the manufacturers take liberties with them?

Edited by Invicta

• RMweb Premium

I believe the HD one was pretty good. The Murgatroyds ones were covered in Railway Archive 9 I think. It's a year or two since I read about them but I think there were more Murgatroyds than ICI and the differences were more than a coat of paint.

Roger

The Murgatroyds came in batches which differed with time. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpcmchlorinetbv and http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpcmchlorinetbb

A history of these wagons has been published Fidczuk, Peter (2007) Gas by Rail Part 3: Murgatroyd’s Railway Archive No. 15 p25 – 42 + back cover. As can be seen they ended up in an attractive BP Chemicals livery. http://lightmoor.co.uk/view_book.php?ref=RARCH15&section=Railway%20Archive

All 4 types have been measured (as was the body of the earlier ICI type that started this topic)

Peter does briefly mention and illustrate the 116 ICI Caustic Soda tanks introduced pre WW2 which had a diamond bogie (not like the models though). The earlier Murgatroyds had GWR/BR plate back bogies from new. Running individually (not in block trains) appears to have been quite usual.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul