Aldersgate

George Hudson

post-489-039810800 1286901842_thumb.jpg

Oh dear. You have raised the bar more than somewhat. Why is it that experts always make it look so easy?

PB

Thanks but I am just an old school brickpaper and cardboard bloke with a few composition ideas!

Andrew

PS there are a lot of premier league players on this site eg http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/12234-diesels-in-the-duchy-aka-st-blazey-dcc-em/ being just one that leaves me in awe of their modelling skills!

• RMweb Gold

PS there are a lot of premier league players on this site eg http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/12234-diesels-in-the-duchy-aka-st-blazey-dcc-em/ being just one that leaves me in awe of their modelling skills!

Comparisons are famously odious, and quite unnecessary on RMWeb, but what you have shown us so far defo puts you in the Premier League. Apart from anything else, you have thought big - but then proved amply skilled to make it into 3D. As trisonic says, a less-than-common prototype helps no end, too! This is not copy-cat modelling.

Remains one to watch, and closely.

Thanks to everyone for their input and kind comments.

Oldud’: your point about comparisons is true of course but in my defence I guess that I am often so impressed with others that I want to share them in case the link has been missed. I’ll get off that track now since otherwise it looks like one is endlessly fishing for compliments.

The general feedback has certainly motivated me to push forward and I will probably go offline and try to tackle the devil and hopefully delight in the detail. As a last shot for now the link below to the GERsociety website shows the ultimate Liverpool Street buffers shot from 1922. I just want to add 30 years or so. (I am not sure about copywrite hence the link and not picture)

http://www.gersociety.org.uk/

The next main tasks will be

A the end wall which could look like one of the two pictures below which I took recently and

B the former station managers office on stilts which is just peeking out in the 1922 picture.

At the same time I will be adding more detail to the existing walls including some hopefully plausible columns for the coming roof.

Regards

Andrew

post-6781-043779600 1287063215_thumb.jpg

post-6781-028644800 1287063248_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am making progress with the end wall of the station which is following the design in the second of the pictures above. I will post when I have something reasonable but I just realised that I have no idea what colours the doors and windows of the booking office, waiting rooms etc are painted!

Would anyone know what these colours would be in Liverpool Street station around 1955?

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

I am making progress with the end wall of the station which is following the design in the second of the pictures above. I will post when I have something reasonable but I just realised that I have no idea what colours the doors and windows of the booking office, waiting rooms etc are painted!

Would anyone know what these colours would be in Liverpool Street station around 1955?

Andrew

This site http://www.stationcolours.info/ generally gives some idea, and if you follow the LNER page you may be the wiser, but it is very generic, and it is eminently possible that this stronghold of the GE retained a different scheme into BR days. [i love the suggestion that Cambridge station could not be expected to receive Oxford Blue!]

All I remember of Liverpool Street in the fifties was: Everything was covered in soot! The whole station smelled lovely to me, though - wonderful smell.

My Brother and Father would have known; sadly my brother died just over a month ago. Wish I could be of more help but I was just too young - I do remember that it was open 365 days of the year because we visited my Grandmother (and back) actually on Christmas Day...

If something floats up from my memory I'll post it.

Best, Pete.

Hello all,

Just a very quick update to show the direction of the ideas for the back wall. The basic thinking is that this is the back of a Great Eastern Hotel with exits to the street at high level as well as entry to the hotel itself. At platform level there are sundry offices and a large pedestrian/vehicle exit. The high level is about 6-10 feet higher than the original in Liverpool Street but I have done this on purpose to give the whole structure more air.

The proportions for the offices etc are ripped from some plans on, I think, Ipswich pubished in the GER Soc Journal. When I find the originals I will give full credit to the authour of the excellent plans.

Andrew

post-6781-002793800 1287504309_thumb.jpg

post-6781-082499100 1287504333_thumb.jpg

post-6781-030582200 1287504354_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Super bit of modelling, you have a very rare tallent of getting the propotions just right. Thanks for shareing its looking very good.

Just as an aside, I was reading the latest Railway Modeller last night about an EM gauge layout which also used card and brickpaper for the buildings.

I said.....

The proportions for the offices etc are ripped from some plans on, I think, Ipswich pubished in the GER Soc Journal. When I find the originals I will give full credit to the authour of the excellent plans.

So much for my memory, the plans were of Hertford East in an article by Dave Taylor in the British Railway Journal, Special Great Eastern Edition, published by Wild Swann. Now, if I wasn't doing Aldersgate, I would like to attempt Hertford East; it's a sort of GER answer to Peter Denny's famous Buckingham Great Central.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short update. As you can see I have opted for mixing architectural styles and have incorporated a facade which is a nod to the back of the Great Eastern Hotel (see earlier in thread). That expanse of brick over the doors and windows will contain a large board or stone lettering with “Greater Eastern Hotel†or something similar. I have painted the downstairs doors green in what I believe is the remnants of an LNER colour scheme and have assumed that the hotel doors are painted GER blue for nostalgic reasons!

The whole back wall is in six separate pieces and I will not finally glue it all together to keep access easy as I add further details.

That’s all for now.

Andrew

post-6781-081917700 1288552730_thumb.jpg

post-6781-050643200 1288552752_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested in my small project, I thought I would post a few shots. I feel a bit of a fraud since there doesn’t look like much progress and that’s because there isn’t but the details are building up. I have started a simple booking office following the one which was situated one of the mainline platforms at Liverpool Street but at Aldersgate I have located it on the upper walkway as a feature.

Andrew

post-6781-044212000 1290529204_thumb.jpg

post-6781-073399200 1290529218_thumb.jpg

post-6781-098172000 1290529231_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Of London termini, Fenchurch Street, Broad Street, Cannon Street, Waterloo - & no doubt others - all have their platforms above street level, while Liverpool Street and Euston, among others, have them below street level. If Aldersgate (as per its namesake) has platforms below street level, then a first floor ticket office makes a great deal of sense. Of the four stations I listed at the start, Fen St and Cannon have their ticket offices at street level, while Waterloo and Broad St have/had theirs at platform level. There is a prototype to suit whatever you decide, surely!

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t believe how much time I spent this weekend lining arches with brick paper. It does look better and had to be done before the sides of the station are fixed into place. In the past too hasty assembly has meant finishing off by working at odd angles and into unreachable places; rather like putting a ship in a bottle.

I started to think that a second ticket office at platform level could be good but also realise that those bubbles in the brick paper have to be sorted out and the inner arches “which probably no one will see†(quote from Mrs GH) also need to be finished first.

A shot behind the scenes for the curious to show just how Heath Robinson my “methods†are.

post-6781-008076500 1291652255_thumb.jpg

post-6781-010449100 1291652272_thumb.jpg

post-6781-056168200 1291652299_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

It looks amazing! And brilliant attantion to detail. The bits “which probably no one will see†are usually the bits that end up right in shot when taking pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Simon