Aldersgate

George Hudson

Building yet more arches for the station throat.  These are rather tall and more reminiscent of the Metropolitan "widened lines" than Liverpool Street but the layout's tracks theoretically disappear under Clerkenwell at this point so they sort of fit.  Also, I just like them so I am going to add them!

Andrew

post-6781-0-02951200-1533590287_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me or do other people have these experiences?  Just trying to do a little trouble shooting and solved a simple problem.  In the course of this I had a short whilst operating Britannia due to not checking trialing points polarity.  Result, all other engines seem to work but Britannia dead.  Does this mean I have blown the chip? Is that it?  Very frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Like that square all it needs are grotty uneven cobbles complete with sunken sections or a disused tram track.

Yes indeed I will put irregularities in although some of the road surface is going to be pristine, I noticed in a number period photos the road can be in surprisingly good nick!

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 07/07/2019 at 00:48, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Lower arches, look better, but why am I thinking, Holloway !!!!!

manna

Don't now about Holloway but my inspiration was the widened lines Farringdon/Barbican (Barbican was original called Aldersgate). 

widened lines.jpg

Edited by George Hudson
erroneous attachment now replaced
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Leaving aside the small matter of green boots with yellow laces, ahem, I think lower is better - but not that much lower? I think the original height was probably excessive - but can you retrieve about half of the redundant bit? Sorry, Andrew. 

I apologise for being a bit late noticing February's excellent street works and loo.  Just an aside if anyone's thinking of something similar.  The model street scene reminded me of my 1970s/1980s walk up from Farringdon to university via St John Street, passing the Smithfield bus terminus.  In the centre of the wide street at this point there was an island around which the buses turned.  The island is there to this day but in those times there was a brick/concrete enclosed street urinal on the island.  The edifices was primitive and entirely at street level, no steps down, and well used by locals, bus crews and the porters from nearby Smithfield.  I recall several others in the general area of Finsbury and Islington but cannot find any pictures, which surprises me, and I feel there must be some out there, even of other places in this land that adopted similar arrangements for relief.  I've found a picture of something similar, albeit different construction [with some sense of design], at:  https://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/zoom-item?i=222223&WINID=1563047689512

Hope the link works.

Could be useful for a prototype setting where the flight of steps and railings is a bit too much work.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2019 at 20:04, Oldddudders said:

Leaving aside the small matter of green boots with yellow laces, ahem, I think lower is better - but not that much lower? I think the original height was probably excessive - but can you retrieve about half of the redundant bit? Sorry, Andrew. 

I'll bow to your sartorial superiority Ian!  And just for you I've changed my profile photo.

I am going to junk the redundant part and move on.

Edited by George Hudson
afterthought
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 13/07/2019 at 21:49, Engineer said:

I apologise for being a bit late noticing February's excellent street works and loo.  Just an aside if anyone's thinking of something similar.  The model street scene reminded me of my 1970s/1980s walk up from Farringdon to university via St John Street, passing the Smithfield bus terminus.  In the centre of the wide street at this point there was an island around which the buses turned.  The island is there to this day but in those times there was a brick/concrete enclosed street urinal on the island.  The edifices was primitive and entirely at street level, no steps down, and well used by locals, bus crews and the porters from nearby Smithfield.  I recall several others in the general area of Finsbury and Islington but cannot find any pictures, which surprises me, and I feel there must be some out there, even of other places in this land that adopted similar arrangements for relief.  I've found a picture of something similar, albeit different construction [with some sense of design], at:  https://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/zoom-item?i=222223&WINID=1563047689512

Hope the link works.

Could be useful for a prototype setting where the flight of steps and railings is a bit too much work.

Excellent photo thanks.  These sort of cameo scenes really add interest (I was going to write "add charm" but given the subject matter perhaps that's a little over the top).

I think the arches look better lower to be honest. The arches would have been higher if you were planning on some sort of high level route, yard or goods depot like Bishopsgate. A Broad Street style affair with high level lines running alongside the main route and crossing the road with the girder bridge at 90 degrees would have justified the height, but I don't think the railway companies would have dug such a deep cutting unless absolutely necessary. I think a cutting depth of four to six inches  is pretty prototypical to 4mm scale..

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...