Aldersgate

George Hudson

Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is rather puzzling; when I looked at the site from the office, one member had written offiering me some original photos which he had taken from the 60s/70s. Now that I am home, this message seems to have disappeared. Did I dream this or perhaps there was a glich in the server?

• 1 month later...

Just posting a mini update. Things do not look wildly different partly because I have been busy with the “devilish details†and partly because the spare room has been occupied by Xmas guests. I am just about to start the first (simplest) of the two roof sections. I have some basic idea but expect that it will be developed with the inevitable compromises as we progress. In the meantime some shots using my daughter’s new birthday camera.

Regards

Andrew

PS still hoping someone will get in touch with the Liverpool Street photos from the 60s which I was offered.

post-6781-0-13527600-1294415712_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-44477500-1294415745_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-17851200-1294415765_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-31834800-1294415790_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-57388400-1294415811_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-82076100-1294415833_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On the subject of images for Liverpool Street in the 1960s, the National Monument Record has some material - if you haven't referred to it already.

The text below should give the first page result of a basic search for Liverpool Street Station:

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/results.aspx?index=0&mainQuery=&searchType=all&form=basic&theme=&county=&district=&placeName=liverpool%20street%20station

• 2 weeks later...

Sort of blog entry rather than update:

Keeping the main board at home in spare room, I am now migrating the rest of Aldersgate to my office in the next street (I work for myself and mostly alone in a too-big office). It means I will have to lose about 1.5 metres from the full length but the attic is just too narrow and will be no fun to work in.

I am confusing the good burgers of Düsseldorf who probably can’t work out why the mad Englishman is walking to the office with a couple of boards or homemade trestles each morning.

The idea is that I can start laying track at the station throat etc and when I bored of this switch back to scenery on the main board. Now have to convince Mrs GH that at least some (real) work will be done at office.

Here is the virgin site which is barricaded off from the work area by IKEA shelving.

Andrew

post-6781-0-51035700-1295363340_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I developed a slightly Heath Robinson trestle system to cope with the unevenness of the loft floor and have re assembled this in the office. With the fourth board which holds the partly built station buildings, I have six metres plus room for exit curves. This is 1.5m less than original but still respectable.

post-6781-0-54570700-1295536697_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Short update-ette,

Here are a couple of poor mobile phone shots of the development of the roof. The girder pattern is adapted from the original plans of the station which I have from an architectural digest. The whole thing is made from 3mm foam board having decided first that this would be easy to work with and secondly that the strongest solution would be to fashion the structures out of one piece of material rather than sticking several bits of girder together on a jig. When I have 5 I will finish off with perpendicular pieces to give a proper girder cross section and paint.

Andrew

post-6781-0-17066700-1295864277_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-61185400-1295864291_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Usual slow progress I am afraid due to site development (see photo) and going back to square one on the roof girders. Having sprayed them up black and fitting them in situ, I decided that they did not have the elegance of the original spans so I am trying to think of a solution. I think it's likely that I will cut them from plastic card and have them completely non weight bearing which will require a very stiff roof. The search begins for materials.

ANDREW

post-6781-0-54634800-1298980036_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On the subject of images for Liverpool Street in the 1960s, the National Monument Record has some material - if you haven't referred to it already.

The text below should give the first page result of a basic search for Liverpool Street Station:

Those pics of Liverpool Street are fantastic but some looked to clean! I remember the place as being dirty and dark but stil a great place to visit ,the layout looks brilliant keep up the good work.

http://viewfinder.en...treet%20station

• 1 month later...

Hello all

Just a short update for Aldersgate followers and a request for assistance.

First the request for assistance: having had some helpful pointers from several members, I have a draft plan. I would appreciate comments and improvements. The site is basically a terminus with a cheat so that I can enjoy a continuous run also. The only traffic will be passenger; express semi fast and suburbans. Carriage sidings, loco facilities (apart from some ash pits and Heath Robinson coaling stages for suburban tanks) will be off site.

Secondly,I also show a couple of shots of the new site with the completed (level) oval ready for track laying.

Hope this is of interest

Andrew

post-6781-0-08092800-1302809323_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-83973200-1302809354_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-37773900-1302809386_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi George,

I too am blown away by your architectural work. In passing, the connection to the Metropolitan did briefly exist. It was an extension of platform one, the line right against the western wall. Amazingly the small signal box on the Met platform that once controlled that junction (located on the eastbound LT platform) survived certainly through the 50s, and I think even into the 60s. The two long platforms in the original form of L. Street - I think that was Nos 9 and 10 - both had an extension far underneath the Great Eastern hotel to unload coal for the central heating and to take away laundry to a central laundry location far far away. When electrification came, that chain or two was cut back, the buffers re-located, and the entire hotel jacked up a foot or two for electrification clearances, at least that is what we were told the raising was for. Previously passengers had to use a very grotty passageway across the heads of those two lines and there was also a link passage to the Met in that area. I seem to recall that there was a storage line between 9 and 10 as well, but I'm not sure.

The ex-Metropolitan Railway box at Liverpool Street on the Circle line is still standing although not in signalling use anymore. The junction to the GER at Liverpool Street was a very shortlived affair (installed 1875) and had been removed well before the end of the 19th century. Diagrams for the Met Box for 1909 do not have said junction on them.

The ex-Metropolitan Railway box at Liverpool Street on the Circle line is still standing although not in signalling use anymore. The junction to the GER at Liverpool Street was a very shortlived affair (installed 1875) and had been removed well before the end of the 19th century. Diagrams for the Met Box for 1909 do not have said junction on them.

Thank, I am in that area about once a month and will look out the signal box. Could use it on Aldersgate as a feature.

Andrew

Still following this. Did you add your name of Andrew? Apologies for referring to you as George.

Liverpool Street station is the great unsung station of London!

Best, Pete.

Don't worry about the name. I was going to be "Claude Hamilton" but decided that I would rather be a rougue than a Lord.

Andrew

ps still musing over that trackplan. Good job I have had little modelling time which provides more thinking time.

That's actually a nice space, George.

Don't forget that the Liverpool Street lines lurch to the right at the station throat.......

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I don't have space for the lurch unfortunately but I will be satisfied with an elegant curving of the mainline platform at some huge radius with the junction at a slant to the main board as the mock up pictures show.

Regards

Andrew