Aldersgate

George Hudson

Great modelling. Really enjoyed it. However, it's only right at the end we see any evidence of a railway.  Is this just an urban  diorama rather than a model railway? ?

Not a criticism although it may seem like it!

All the best 

Terry

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2020 at 19:19, TJ52 said:

Great modelling. Really enjoyed it. However, it's only right at the end we see any evidence of a railway.  Is this just an urban  diorama rather than a model railway? ?

Not a criticism although it may seem like it!

All the best 

Terry

Thanks for the comment.  Yes that's right, it's sort of morphed into a diorama and with hindsight I would have even less railway.  These tracks are a legacy from a larger layout begun many years ago (and in another country!).  I am not a great engineer and there always seem to be niggling problems that spoil my enjoyment of operating, I guess that's one of the main reasons people join club; to share skills.

Andrew

Your picture of the Port of London building is not near Spitalfields Market but is actually in Charterhouse Street, opposite Smithfield Market, about a mile away close to Farringdon Station

Ray

34 minutes ago, Scrapman said:

Andrew

Your picture of the Port of London building is not near Spitalfields Market but is actually in Charterhouse Street, opposite Smithfield Market, about a mile away close to Farringdon Station

Ray

yes quite right, mistype by me

Very impressed with the arches. It is very tricky trying to reproduce rows of arches and also quite tedious! Our solution with Crystal Palace High Level was to make one master arch out of a combination of Perspex and plasticard, from this we made a silicone rubber mould and then cast them out of polyurethane resin (all 70 of them!) It was then a case of joining them together with epoxy adhesive and then hide the gaps with brick embossed plasticard, then finally paint and weather them. I must admit, I would not want to do it again!

crystal arches.gif

crystal arches 3.gif

crystal arches 2.gif

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2020 at 20:16, Spam Can Man said:

Very impressed with the arches. It is very tricky trying to reproduce rows of arches and also quite tedious! Our solution with Crystal Palace High Level was to make one master arch out of a combination of Perspex and plasticard, from this we made a silicone rubber mould and then cast them out of polyurethane resin (all 70 of them!) It was then a case of joining them together with epoxy adhesive and then hide the gaps with brick embossed plasticard, then finally paint and weather them. I must admit, I would not want to do it again!

crystal arches.gif

crystal arches 3.gif

crystal arches 2.gif

That looks excellent, very crisp and good proportions!

Edited by George Hudson
Is there a layout topic on this or other link to see the layout??
  • Agree 1

So following the burial ground I was looking for something low and typical.  Of course a market! I bought a couple of ready made stalls (Wills?) and although they are good kits for sure, they didn't have the scruffiness that I was looking for.  Knocked up an extra 8 therefore from scraps and white metal wheels.  Also produced a tea caravan from scrap plastic.  Again looks authenticly like it could poison you if you bought a sausage roll there!  I am still filling up the stalls but here's the work in progress.

market_1.jpg

market_2.jpg

market 3.jpg

shoe stall.jpg

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would add some update photos for anyone kind enough to have followed this topic in the past.  The main update is that the track is now fully ballasted and painted.  Liverpool Street was basically dirt and oil on a base of rust and I have followed suit.  The sides of the rails were already painted in Humbrol rust and this has been followed by a wash of Daler acrylic raw and burnt umber.  Lastly, Daler's "paynes grey" in various dilutions has been washed on to provide the required filth!  It's come out better than I expected and I'm pretty happy with it.  LMS Models' rail built buffers look really good in situ.

Onwards and upwards!

2020-09-26_11_51_02.jpg

2020-09-26_11_50_13.jpg

2020-09-26_11_50_42.jpg

tracks_4.jpg

• Like 15

On 08/06/2020 at 20:16, Spam Can Man said:

crystal arches.gif

crystal arches 3.gif

crystal arches 2.gif

• Like 2

You can view the whole layout on our club's website southwarkmrc@wordpress.com under Crystal Palace High Level (layouts and galleries). The photographs are a bit old now and quite a bit more progress has been made since then.

The layout was booked to go to the Bluebell Model Railway Model Railway Exhibition at Sheffield Park the end of June this year, unfortunately, Covid 19 put paid to that!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1