Aldersgate

George Hudson

• 3 weeks later...

I am attaching some shots of window frame building.  Mostly based on Stubby's sticky lable method (see elsewhere in this forum, if there was a Nobel Prize for modelling inventions, he'd have it).

Top halves of sash windows on piece of packaging

post-6781-0-52776900-1410641229.png

cut off before installation

post-6781-0-96138000-1410641249.png

glueing on back, checking the front each time of course

the masking tape strip is temporary to ensure all the sashes are in line

A strip of material at the bottom of each window keeps the bottom sash firmly behind and parallel

post-6781-0-89047600-1410641265.png

final version with top and bottom sashes

post-6781-0-81602800-1410641280.png

hope that's of some help!

Andrew

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the thumbs.  It's great to have people interested in what I am doing even though it seems to take forever.

Andrew

Quicker than my station building on my 0 16.5 layout !!

Super job you are making of the station and its surrounds, its a joy to see it evolve

• 3 weeks later...

I was inspired today by the excellent Chelmsford & District MRC exhibition* to begin work on the roof on my current work in progress.  Here's a quick shot of how far I got.

*(Thanks to Ian for letting me backstage at Warren Lane.)

post-6781-0-20154600-1413672477.png

post-6781-0-61441800-1413672492.png

This is not where they will be finally but look quite good here!

Andrew

• Like 18

• 2 weeks later...

Am working on the cobbled area in front of the station hotel and offices.  I couldn't find plastic cobbles anywhere so have used some card embossed stones of German origin (don't know which manufacturer).  I photocopied the original sheets and pasted them on a card base with paper layers underneath to give look of a camber and general derelict unevenness due to post war underinvestment in infrastructure.  I have also cut out drains and overlaid areas of cobbles to provide further unevenness.  The whole thing probably needs a wash of dilute black/grey to tone it down.

post-6781-0-10962200-1414954697.png

post-6781-0-11412900-1414954769.png

post-6781-0-60512300-1414954783_thumb.jpg

The iPhone camera is quite kind to my modelling but the colours look better in real life!

Andrew

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I thought the large number of low relief structures which I had produced made the layout look rather flat and linear so I am "converting" a low relief model of the power station on Shoreditch High Street (adjacent to Liverpool Street Station in London) into something more substantial with a fictional rear elevation.  It's a little odd to try to copy your own work and of course I couldn't remember where I got all the scraps of card or exactly which colours I had used so the front and back are hardly identical.  

Good job I am both the contractor and client.

post-6781-0-38232200-1418590459_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-50443000-1418590473_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 months later...

Very probably, Andrew. Your modeling deserves a nice room to house it in!

As you’re covering what I really wanted to do - I’m toying with a narrow gauge idea based on a Sugar Plantation in either Barbados or Jamaica.......takes me back to the early eighties when I found myself in Bajan country visiting a vinyl pressing plant (records) in a former sugar processing plant made of  local stone.

Do keep up the good work however long it takes, to me the joy is in the making.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

I'd look forward to seeing that.  Funny how things appeal from further afield.  Like you I have lived abroad and have developed an affection for German narrow gauge and light railways (Feldbahen: field railways).  Just substitute schnapps for rum and rain for sun and you've got the same thing as in the West Indies! 

Very probably, Andrew. Your modeling deserves a nice room to house it in!

As you’re covering what I really wanted to do - I’m toying with a narrow gauge idea based on a Sugar Plantation in either Barbados or Jamaica.......takes me back to the early eighties when I found myself in Bajan country visiting a vinyl pressing plant (records) in a former sugar processing plant made of  local stone.

Do keep up the good work however long it takes, to me the joy is in the making.

Best, Pete.

Checked out the new house on weekend, there is a new dry 3mx5m shed/workshop with electricity connected so looks like I could consider re instating the rest of the station throat which I still have stored away.  Have to think about dust but it could work if I lined the whole thing properly.

Andrew

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...