Aldersgate

George Hudson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Oh dear, here we go again.  I think Aldersgate has spent more time in boxes than running!

post-6781-0-15929300-1444677262_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, when I build a garden room it can be unpacked again.  I the meantime those interested should watch our for more buildings on the card structures forum.  Thanks to all those who have followed in the past.

Andrew

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Still a long way from resurrection of Aldersgate.  In the meantime I have been building structures for the future (see building threads) and scouting about for scenes.  Whilst looking for new offices (er, I thought I had retired??) I got the opportunity to take some arial shots of the approach to Liverpool Street.  

These are not great photography and are modern views but helpful for perspectives, "site assembly" and details such as wall widths etc.  Who knows, could inspire some new urban layouts!

Andrew

post-6781-0-06866000-1454689648_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-48313700-1454689671_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Only building various stuff which I have on a series of topics in the card model forum.  Otherwise wandering around the East End of London and Clerkenwell confusing people by measuring up buildings with a tape measure during the day!

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to take an interest in this thread and the others that I have run  on Aldersgate buildings.  

On the anniversary of my last post here, and a couple of years after moving home, a real update!

I have a date agreed for the construction of a garden room in which I will house Aldersgate.  Hopefully it will rise like the proverbial phoenix.

Fingers crossed and watch this space (occasionally).

Regards

Andrew

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Announcement

The Board of Directors of the Great Eastern Railway has determined that the current terminus of Bishopsgate in Shoreditch is insufficiently large to provide adequate accommodation for the extended services now offered by the railway.  Consequently and following Parliamentary approval, the construction of a new station at Aldersgate has begun and the groundworks have been completed.

By Order of the Board of Directors.

post-6781-0-80743600-1491389089_thumb.jpg

• Like 17
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

With just a couple of weeks to go before the new site for Aldersgate is completed, I have been looking at track plans again.  As you can see below, I am not smart enough for templot or similar. ;-)

It seems that I can keep most of my original design and transfer almost all of the former point work from the old base boards which I have stored away.  It looks like I will go for an L shaped layout of 5mx5m with 90cm depth boards.  This could give me platforms able to cope with 6 coach trains at one end and a 2.2m traverser and turntable at the other for storage and train handling.  I will probably try to build the traverser first since if I can't produce this (never tried it before) the whole plan will need a rethink.

If anyone has any links to info on building a traverser, these will be much appreciated!

Andrew

post-6781-0-59238800-1492958114.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A small update for those following developments.

Hopefully without sounding too smug or tempting fate, I can report that the station throat is now fixed down and operating fully. All droppers, electro frog feeds etc have been left unsoldered underneath as yet but this will be the next session.

There is only one area of track near the crossing which had slightly questionable geometry with hindsight and it may be that I purchase a dremmel and replace the offending 15 cm. (I won't say where it is exactly!).

I am posting a shot across the tracks which I believe will look like a plausible Liverpool Street type approach when I have it ballasted, painted, backed by some high retaining walls/warehouses and covered with a suitable road bridge or two.

Regards

Andrew

Have just found this layout thread. A simply stunning station approach!

• 2 months later...

Summer's coming to an end and so I am moving ahead with the new Aldersgate.  

This is going to be the base of a sector board (gave up on the traverser idea as too complicated for my skills and materials' quality).  The box underneath contains my N gauge layout Stratham.

Andrew

post-6781-0-39001500-1504453277_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

The sector board is really a huge turntable which will just pivot about 15 degrees to offer up several fiddle yard tracks.  The top board is 5mm mdf sliding on a base of 10mm mdf. Pretty basic but this should work (we'll see!).  For the pivot, I bought some vintage mechano wheels which I have screwed to the top and bottom with a 4mm bolt completing the bearing.  I am no engineer but this seems like it could work.  If all this fails I will use cassettes but thought I would try this first.

Top with some wood glue to add stability

post-6781-0-73238200-1504541840_thumb.jpg

Underside

post-6781-0-86280300-1504541862_thumb.jpg

To cut the curve I intend to bolt a jig saw to the bottom surface and pivot the whole thing through the saw.  It's a two person job and I'll let the wood glue dry fully before starting this.

Couple of sneaky holes drilled in baseplate.

post-6781-0-59260400-1504542009_thumb.jpg

And fix it like this with a thinner blade.

post-6781-0-16320800-1504542027_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here's s first go at lining up the tracks ...

Some are a mm or two out in that as I move the whole thing around, not each track lines up with its mate at the same time but I might just live with that since I only want one train movement at a time.

Everything is tacked down with evostick for now and I will solder it up when I am happy with the clearances all the way round. 

As I planned one can't also get a full swing from one extreme to the other but this is also fine; that the primary entry/exit track from the rest of the layout will have access to 6 roads directly and the rest and other storage sidings, which will run behind scenery parallel the access track, can be reached with a little track shuffling.  Hard to explain but hope that will become evident over time.

Sorry the pictures are wonky, started on the wine too early!

post-6781-0-10488300-1504885189_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-77160900-1504885355_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-86254300-1504885372_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-51592200-1504885393_thumb.jpg

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 5

More work on the sector board....bolted on the jigsaw and then slowly turned the whole board against the blade

Now that's what I call cunning... I like this idea, and it seems to have worked perfectly.