Aldersgate

George Hudson

Hello folks,

Transferred the station throat from the old boards.  I had just stuck everything down with tiny drops of wood glue on sleeper ends about 3-6inches apart so it was easy to get off (after removing the point motors!).

post-6781-0-63609100-1507718115_thumb.jpg

My new boards are nearly double the width but the extra space will be used for scenery/buildings.

This is one of the best parts of the hobby: mucking about with track layout in situ before the hard work starts.  It looks like I can fit in 6 coach trains and still get 36inch curves at the end.  The curves may be covered scenery or, more likely partially covered with glimpses of the track from roadway/bridges.  This can be seen today around Farringdon and Barbican stations in London.  It was also certainly the atmosphere around Liverpool Street until land became so valuable and building techniques so advanced that skyscrapers were built over the station throat.

post-6781-0-31489500-1507718124_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-53636800-1507718132_thumb.jpg

If you have been, thanks for watching!

Andrew

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 13

I said.....

The proportions for the offices etc are ripped from some plans on, I think, Ipswich pubished in the GER Soc Journal. When I find the originals I will give full credit to the authour of the excellent plans.

So much for my memory, the plans were of Hertford East in an article by Dave Taylor in the British Railway Journal, Special Great Eastern Edition, published by Wild Swann. Now, if I wasn't doing Aldersgate, I would like to attempt Hertford East; it's a sort of GER answer to Peter Denny's famous Buckingham Great Central.

Andrew

I've just followed up on the Hertford East suggestion- that's also a really interesting track plan!   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wish I could build my own.  I envy the sweep of handmade pointwork but the peco large radius is a good second best.

Hand built track is not that difficult, I cut me teeth on soldered pcb point work, when I was a teenager. The first few were a bit rough and ready and were binned, but I soon got the hang of it. I now use ply with plastic chairs, takes about twice the time though. Filing the switch blades is the worst part, but made a little easier since Templot came along and I managed to master it.

• RMweb Gold

Hand built track is not that difficult, I cut me teeth on soldered pcb point work, when I was a teenager. The first few were a bit rough and ready and were binned, but I soon got the hang of it. I now use ply with plastic chairs, takes about twice the time though. Filing the switch blades is the worst part, but made a little easier since Templot came along and I managed to master it.

How does Termplot help with the filing of switch blades?

Could be the quality of the plans(templates) or the fact that communication with other track builders and or the information within Templot Club has enabled the modeller to improve his knowledge and skills base

I for one not being in the railway industry had no real idea about trackwork, naively assuming the Peco points were (like locos) scale models of the real thing. Plus many modellers who are willing to both give advice or assist a fellow modeller. Just like this forum 

• RMweb Premium

The blades are shown as hollow triangles and the switch tips are marked, thus by putting the end of the rail at the switch tip mark and marking the rail with a fine tipped felt tip pen, I know the planning length, whereas I just used to guess it and mostly filed off to much.

• Like 1

The blades are shown as hollow triangles and the switch tips are marked, thus by putting the end of the rail at the switch tip mark and marking the rail with a fine tipped felt tip pen, I know the planning length, whereas I just used to guess it and mostly filed off to much.

Additionally, Martin Wynne has posted a table on several threads (I keep a printed copy handy) showing the planing length for various switch sizes - I simply use an off cut of wood with a line marked for the length, clamp the rail to the wood and away you go - just don’t impale your hand on the end of the rail!
  • Like 2

Th

I thought I had a huge amount of space but moving around my stock of structures seems to have mopped up the area pretty quickly!

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.32.53.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.12.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.19.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.24.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.32.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.34.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.39.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.50.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.31.57.jpg

attachicon.gif2017-10-13 10.32.53.jpg

This is quite frankly stunning work!!!   The bridge over the junction and the whole scene is simply inspirational! 

• 4 weeks later...

I've just followed up on the Hertford East suggestion- that's also a really interesting track plan!

Hertford East to me is a country Minories. A shadow of its former self nowadays

I remember it with the central track and release crossovers and sidings both sides neatly hidden by walls...oh and searchlight signals

And entry to the fiddle yard just do a model of Ware single track entry......Simples

Hertford East to me is a country Minories. A shadow of its former self nowadays

I remember it with the central track and release crossovers and sidings both sides neatly hidden by walls...oh and searchlight signals

And entry to the fiddle yard just do a model of Ware single track entry......Simples

Indeed, it does appear to be a rather cracking basis for a station :)  

• 4 weeks later...