Aldersgate

George Hudson

• 3 weeks later...

Boring stuff done today.

Don't know if it's clear from the photos but I decided to have the raised roadway above the hidden storage yards supported by lengths of aluminium "L" section to ensure it stays straight at the back.  Pretty over engineered but hopefully more trouble free in the long run than wooden 2x1.

post-6781-0-06686100-1527630239_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-66881700-1527630254_thumb.jpg

So this is my idea; the first 5mm of platforms are in place and I will ballast and paint the track at this stage.  The reason for this is that the ballast can be laid right up to the platform edge neatly but the platform, being only 5mm, gives easy access to work on the track.  Higher platform levels might stick out from this base which is prototypical.  Don't know if anyone else has tried this but seems obvious to me.  I will use a fine ballast since that's what, from photos the Liverpool street station trackbed looked like in the 50s/60s compared to the larger size chippings more typical for a rural setting.  The final colour will be rusty brown tending towards black in areas where locomotives came to rest.

post-6781-0-39893100-1528223535_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Now that's lucky!  Having fitted a chip to my L1, I promptly drove it off the end of the layout.  Somehow the only damage after falling over a metre seems to be a buffer.  It seems to be running better but I wouldn't recommend it as part of a service plan.

post-6781-0-99061300-1528371234_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi George,

I've only just happened across your thread and I'm enjoying reading up on your progress immensely.

I'm very jealous of your railway room - it looks bright and airy with lots of space.Your trackwork and building look really good.

Hopefully your L1 will be fine with a bit of glue!

Cheers

Trev :)

• 4 weeks later...

Feels like I have been waiting 40 years to do this!  OK some people might liken it to watching paint dry but I find it therapeutic.

That B12 stops every time over the same two points.  I have cleaned everything, with fine abrasive and alcohol, checked and re wired the polarity switches, scrubbed loco wheels, everything.  I have just given up and ordered two new points and will dig out the old ones!!  Ho hum such fun :-)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Have you checked the back-to-back measurements of the loco's wheels - is it possible that they could be causing a short circuit by making contact with the inside of the open switch rails?

So this is my idea; the first 5mm of platforms are in place and I will ballast and paint the track at this stage.  The reason for this is that the ballast can be laid right up to the platform edge neatly but the platform, being only 5mm, gives easy access to work on the track.  Higher platform levels might stick out from this base which is prototypical.  Don't know if anyone else has tried this but seems obvious to me.  I will use a fine ballast since that's what, from photos the Liverpool street station trackbed looked like in the 50s/60s compared to the larger size chippings more typical for a rural setting.  The final colour will be rusty brown tending towards black in areas where locomotives came to rest.

attachicon.gif2018-06-05 13.13.10.jpg

Coming along a treat George, in respect of the ballasting of your track work adjacent to the platform brickwork, if you have used brick paper it may be worth considering whether the glue will affect it when you begin ballasting.

I have seen this happen ( pva/water mix ) when it is used for ballasting against platform faces and it as crept into the brickwork finish and caused some staining and lifting, just a thought ?

Grahame

When using brick paper I have found that mixing PVA with Klear and a dash of washing up liquid works well but try it on a small section first, seems to avoid the problems associated with mixing PVA with water which on Ricket Street made some of the brick paper (inkjet printed) go green.

Martyn

Just thought I'd post the results of my endless rearranging of buildings to develop composition.  It's simply for those (like me) who like to look at endless pictures of other layouts!

post-6781-0-40316500-1531924958_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-96401700-1531924970_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-78548700-1531924983_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-66547800-1531925061_thumb.jpgpost-6781-0-30203000-1531925073_thumb.jpg

Edited by George Hudson
  • Like 16