Aldersgate

George Hudson

On 03/10/2020 at 19:23, Spam Can Man said:

You can view the whole layout on our club's website southwarkmrc@wordpress.com under Crystal Palace High Level (layouts and galleries). The photographs are a bit old now and quite a bit more progress has been made since then.

The layout was booked to go to the Bluebell Model Railway Model Railway Exhibition at Sheffield Park the end of June this year, unfortunately, Covid 19 put paid to that!

I did and it's really quite something.  Look forward to seeing it at an exhibition as and when we become "unlocked".  By coincidence I took a walk from the real thing a week or so back.

We were extremely lucky to be invited to take Crystal Palace to the Crystal Palace Bowl in 2014 to commemorate the closure of the line in association with the Friends of Crystal Palace Subway and the Crystal Palace Foundation. The model actually incorporates the subway too! Although you cannot really see it that well as it is other side of the layout away from the viewing side and is obscured by the overall roofs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Love the ticket machines! Circa 1963, one of our chemistry masters, 'Nobby' Clark, had the temerity to put coins in one (at Leicester Square) and it spewed out the whole roll of tickets! He said LT were very wary of even giving him one ticket! Made the London Evening Standard - yay!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2021 at 15:23, George Hudson said:

busy day at Aldersgate today!

Well Mr Hudson,

Just breathtaking - the ambition that you must have set out with, underpined by not a small amount of confidence, has been fulfilled. I am in awe of the quality of modelling. Not just the structures themselves but of the creation of the "feeling" of 1950's East End. Masterful! Many thanks for sharing all this.

I shall give up modelling now!!!! (Not really, just an overload of inspiration)

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, 30368 said:

Well Mr Hudson,

Just breathtaking - the ambition that you must have set out with, underpined by not a small amount of confidence, has been fulfilled. I am in awe of the quality of modelling. Not just the structures themselves but of the creation of the "feeling" of 1950's East End. Masterful! Many thanks for sharing all this.

I shall give up modelling now!!!! (Not really, just an overload of inspiration)

Kind regards,

Richard B

Thanks, that's kind.  I think very much the same regarding many of the layouts on this site.  Every week I find something inspiring which I had not seen before.  I am in touch with a guy in Scotland who is doing Liverpool Street for real, not just a small taster like my Aldersgate is!

If we could harness all the energy shown on RMWeb we could probably abandon fossil fuels in about 6 months! 

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...