Aldersgate

George Hudson

Now, Vinnie Folgate I like! Meet him down "The Blind Beggar"................

As long as you don't look at him in a funny way. You might struggle to walk afterwards if you did!

Last time I was in London I went with my cousin to "Dirty ######" - what a travesty! A Disneyesque version of what I remembered from the 60's.

Best, Pete.

Next time my tip would be the "Town of Ramsgate" in Wapping. It still maintains a semblance of authenticity.

Andrew

I love the model of the powerstation. It's now listed happily and is a bar and restaurant. I used to go when I was down in London as my cousin worked there but it's a few years since I've been.

One other thing re Aldersgate, there was once meat traffic in appropriate vans, that left Farringdon and somewhere

before Aldersgate, went off into a subterranean sidings under Smithfield meat market. And also there was once a east to south curve from Aldersgate down to Snow Hill station, and thence onto Southern lines. Once there were passenger services this way, just conceiveably this might be revivied, as Moorgates relevant two platforms are now unusable, and terminating platforms for City of London passengers are in desperate sort supply..

Last time I was in London I went with my cousin to "Dirty ######" - what a travesty! A Disneyesque version of what I remembered from the 60's.

Best, Pete.

Not only that, last time I went in there the beer was off! "Pint of Youngs Vinegar sir?"

I dread to think what "The Prospect of Whitby" is like, now - it was always a bit touristy even back then due to the movies.

I believe my old man took me to the "Town of Ramsgate" - I'm not sure as half the time the locals called the pubs by nicknames.

Best, Pete.

I dread to think what "The Prospect of Whitby" is like, now - it was always a bit touristy even back then due to the movies.

I believe my old man took me to the "Town of Ramsgate" - I'm not sure as half the time the locals called the pubs by nicknames.

Best, Pete.

The Prospect of Whitby is too well know. Many pubs in the East End were referred to by the name of the landlord eg in Redmans Rd there was a pub, now gone, which I think was the Bricklayers' Arms but always known as Jim Mead's.

Perhaps we need a pub thread (not suggesting this is an original idea!)

I shall try to return to the Aldersgate topic when I have made some more progress.

Andrew

True.

My fav was the "Eagle and Child" which was always called the "Bird and Baby" (I don't mean CS Lewis' and JRR Tolkien's pub in Oxford though that had the same name and nickname). I dunno, East End Pubs are a world unto themselves.........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

Hi

The Town of Ramsgate is more of a local's pub with prices and nosh to match, whilst the Prospect of Whitby is a right GT. ( GT being a grockle trap for those not from these parts)

Mines a pint SS :drinks:

I remember The Town of Ramsgate in the 80s. It had a nice little balcony at the back overlooking the river, and was a few doors down from where David Owen used to live and where the Gang of Four issued the Limehouse Declaration, or whatever they called it, which set up the SDP. My own favourite east end pub was the Gun on the Isle of Dogs. That had a full terrace overlooking the river at Blackwall. The P of W was just a boring tourist trap even in those days.

I remember The Town of Ramsgate in the 80s. It had a nice little balcony at the back overlooking the river, and was a few doors down from where David Owen used to live and where the Gang of Four issued the Limehouse Declaration, or whatever they called it, which set up the SDP. My own favourite east end pub was the Gun on the Isle of Dogs. That had a full terrace overlooking the river at Blackwall. The P of W was just a boring tourist trap even in those days.

Not wishing to be pedantic, that must have been another Town of Ramsgate. The one I recommend is in Wapping High St. Owen's house was in Narrow Street in Limehouse, a few miles away at the other end of the Highway.

Andrew

http://www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php?pub_id=235

• 1 month later...

dragging the thread back from the beer theme, I thought I would I would prove that I and Aldersgate are still alive!

I am posting here therefore some minuscule progress with a picture of my take (part finished) on GE style retaining walls.

post-6781-0-02525400-1312138762_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the retaining wall and decided to have a clear up and run a few trains to celebrate! (I have posted some further pictures of its construction on the Scalesenes sub forum for those interested: yet to be cleared by mod as I write this).

Here are some views of Aldersgate for those, like me, who never tire of looking at other peoples' projects.

I am off to UK this Friday so if anyone sees a German registered Sharan in the car park, you will know that I made it to Midland Railex!

Andrew

post-6781-0-99556900-1313060148_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-88975400-1313060177_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-07659000-1313060205_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-32290800-1313060220_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-50056800-1313060282_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, these kind comments are always a helpful prod to get me back in the swing of things when I haven't done much for a while.

I have been experimenting with test strips for when the time comes to discolour the whole station to get it to somewhere near Liverpool Street in the mid 50s. Essentially this is going to be with soft pencil or charcoal so I can built up the grim slowly and hopefully not cock it up!

The next serious job will be finishing off the track balasting and painting the trackbed. I appear to have only one half loco working at the moment so will be posting things off for repairs.

Andrew

General PS

I know nothing about diesels so I will end with a question to any thread readers: which diesels would have been around in 1955 (+/- 3 years) at Liverpool Street? I will do my own research but a leg up would be appreciated

True.

My fav was the "Eagle and Child" which was always called the "Bird and Baby" (I don't mean CS Lewis' and JRR Tolkien's pub in Oxford though that had the same name and nickname). I dunno, East End Pubs are a world unto themselves.........

Bird and Brat gone down hill a bit I used to deliver fish there went through many landlords not in a good position in Oxford. Chris

I am not very good with desels either but the BTH 1 (Class 15) were around from 1957 - Heljan make a good model. Other available models - for ease I will stick with the later TOPS designations - the Class 40s had started to appear on express passneger workings. Class 31s (actually at your time period they were Clas 30s but I dont know if there were any significant external differences) must have been seen at LS as they were Stratford based early on, and possibly Class 24s although I thik they were freight engines and a little bit later. I suspect all the erly shunters were around 03, 04 and 08 but you better check that.

General PS

I know nothing about diesels so I will end with a question to any thread readers: which diesels would have been around in 1955 (+/- 3 years) at Liverpool Street? I will do my own research but a leg up would be appreciated

The first Brush Type 2s (skinhead version) were certainly used on passenger trains to and from Liverpool Street in their early days - there is a shot of D5516 arriving with a train from Ely in 1958 in "The Early Years of London Diesels". EE Type 4s were certainly there by early 1959. NBL Type 2s were allocated to Stratford by mid-1959 and NBL Type 1s in 1958 (presumably for freight?). The BTH Type 1s appeared in November 1957.

• RMweb Gold

I think 1955 is a bit early for real diesel presence at Liv St or most other places, being the year the Modernisation Plan, which provided the orders, was announced. By the time I got there in later 1960, the EE Type 4s (D200 class) were out in force, and the Britannias were not visible on my visits. There were also the Brush Type 2s (D5500 et seq), and I think I was shown round D5545, which was an uprated version. The station pilot was still a blue kettle. There was quite a lot of electric stock, but the impressive AM9s were still in the future.

Class 37's/Type 3 were also first introduced on this line but surprisingly I cannot find the date. Would have been later in 1960, however. The former GER mainlines had a lot of firsts that are mostly ignored nowadays (and is probably the least photographed too).

Best, Pete.