Kettering Iron and Coal Company No 8

black5f

You've made excellent progress on the Wardle since the last time we spoke, it's really been coming together. Looking forward to seeing the completed model mate.

Cheers!

Progress been painfully slow since Xmas but the gear box / motors on order. cylinder parts cut out, connecting rods are done (sitting on footplate in pics). Chassis will have to come apart and roughly 0,5 mm narrower to allow for more side play on the front drivers I think to cope with the sharper curves. O gauge wheels don't forget. They could do with the root radius reducing a bit ... another challenge.

T

• 2 weeks later...

In my view High Level gearboxes are top notch and Chris is a nice chap to deal with too.  I've used them in my 7mm small shunters.  They go together easily and are very quiet.  I've got a Branchlines Manning Wardle Busy Bee kit to build soon in O14 and I'll be using a High Level 54:1 Slimliner Compact Plus with a Mashima 1020.  

If you are using DCC you could always limit the top speed via adjusting the appropriate CV(s) (I use DecoderPro with a SPROG so just click away on the laptop and the CVs are adjusted accordingly so I've never learned their numbers).  Then you could use say a 60:1 (ish) gearbox and not have the Mashima whining away at top revs.  I have a 7mm Ruston 48DS with a Mashima 1220 and a 108:1 High Level box (can't remember which one off hand - maybe a loadhauler?), now that does scream but it is cheaper than a sound chip and it doesn't sound too dislike a real 48DS with a well worn gearbox.  It also has a monster flywheel and takes about 4 feet to stop from top revs - I now go for much lower ratio boxes and tune the decoders appropriately.

DCC wise on my O14 locos, I've settled on using the CT Elektroink DCX76zD decoders - the micro sized ones, I'm very pleased with the quality of speed control.

BTW - loving the build, very neat work there!

[No connection with High Level Kits, just a satisfied customer].

Hi

Motor / gearbox came today, High Level Load Hauler plus, 1430 round can 60:1. What a sweet little unit, very powerful, almost silent running and will run so slow you can hardly see it. Good call!

T

That sounds like a great motor gearbox set up.  Good luck with the rest of the build.

Yeah, pleased. It's strong as well. Some of the fold up ones (well, coming from O gauge) twist and easily bend under load. I think the strength in this design is the gears run on stationary axles, so the axles add loads of extra strength. A very good design. My fear was noise from the spurs but nothing to worry about there, very smooth and silent and more than ample for 7mm narrow gauge. I said it would be a slow build but itching now to get the chassis running on a bit of track.

T

• 1 year later...

its been over a year now any progress?

Gosh, over a year, hard to believe that. I did warn at the outset it might be slow. Not much progress I'm afraid, other things getting in the way but you're right, must get on. Funny, I was sitting outside today which has been a rare thing round here, over looking some fields where there are faint signs the railway once existed, if you know where to look, thinking the very same thing ... must get on with it.

T :-)

thats fine you do what you want when you ant it was just my curiosity

It's a lesson though of how quickly time goes when your not looking! I think last time I was considering the best way to just dress a little off the drivers and take a little off the root radius. It's this that seems to be preventing the wheels from reliably negotiating a fine scale 3 way points which I'd like them to do.

There's been a couple of jobs sitting on the bench including a particularly annoying swiss HO loco. It would have been easier to fix a watch. But out of the way now.

I should have the basis of a layout now but, well, son 2 decided he wasn't gona get married any more and moved back into my toy room which I had to clear of all signs of enjoyment. Bit of family upset, some solicitors, eventually sold his house, 6 months of my life etc.

I got the money he owed me back though so quickly went and bought this ... which came with a late mid life crisis.

post-17315-0-43006300-1461536112_thumb.jpg

post-17315-0-72233600-1461536130_thumb.jpg

So smiling more often now :-)

T

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom time flys - a small child poured hot chocolate over my computer and I lost a lot of my saved settings, which, combined with a massive workload with my business, means this is the first time I've got logged in for nearly a year.  I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things if I can find the time.  It's a shame that the hobby suffers when real life gets in the way!  I'm still here and I'm glad to see you are too Tom!

• 3 weeks later...

Tom

watching your progress with interest, not that I do any modelling but am very interested in Kettering Ironstone in connection with the research I'm doing, got up to North Wales a few weeks ago but did not get to Penrhyn castle museum as hoped. I contacted the museum to make sure the Black Hawthorn was still there and accessible with a tape measure, but didn't hear back until I was back home. Will have to make another attempt later in the year.

I also draw in AutoCad and will get the dimensions to put a tidy drawing together at some point, the book is not due out until next year or so ( I have 2 in the queue before Kettering Furnaces), I did pick up a stack of photos of Casserley on Ebay a while back, and am also trying to find info about the Ruston excavators to draw up as well.

Paul 

I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom time flys - a small child poured hot chocolate over my computer and I lost a lot of my saved settings, which, combined with a massive workload with my business, means this is the first time I've got logged in for nearly a year.  I'm hoping to get back in the swing of things if I can find the time.  It's a shame that the hobby suffers when real life gets in the way!  I'm still here and I'm glad to see you are too Tom!

Hi Mate

Just got back form a business trip to Mexico, weather back here is a bit of a shock to the system! Can't believe how time fly's by when your not having fun! It's the Kettering show this weekend. It's at Wren Spinney School, Gypsy Lane. I'm currently in a panic trying to get a mates industrial layout running. He's good at scenics, I'm doing the electrics. 3 way interlocked withe a Y facing into it is testing my brain. So if the Y is set to enter the 3 way the 2 3 way blade have to bet set as well, which it appears to do correctly. I made a small board with 3 relays to interlock the blades in kind of a route selection logic. Then I have to wire a small turntable, with two tracks that feeds the fiddle yard, for two controllers. Why do I take these things on!

If you have time drop by, and if you like old camaros let me know, I'll take you for a spin (abiding by the various laws of course).

Take Care and keep in touch.

Tom

Tom

watching your progress with interest, not that I do any modelling but am very interested in Kettering Ironstone in connection with the research I'm doing, got up to North Wales a few weeks ago but did not get to Penrhyn castle museum as hoped. I contacted the museum to make sure the Black Hawthorn was still there and accessible with a tape measure, but didn't hear back until I was back home. Will have to make another attempt later in the year.

I also draw in AutoCad and will get the dimensions to put a tidy drawing together at some point, the book is not due out until next year or so ( I have 2 in the queue before Kettering Furnaces), I did pick up a stack of photos of Casserley on Ebay a while back, and am also trying to find info about the Ruston excavators to draw up as well.

Paul 

Hi Paul

I'm really keen to stay connected with anyone involved in documenting this kind of history. Lots of people around that have draw up locos and taken measurements in the 60's when the were laid up. These things were very temporary and it's so important (to me) when you look over the countryside to realise it's not natural and was reshaped with pick and shovel and that's why it looks do beautiful! There are several guys I know that have books on the way about various systems, they are not young though and this information needs capturing. If you think there is anything I can do to help let me know.

T

Hi All

Thanks for your support! I am over whelmed. I know it's slow and sorry for that. It probably took about 5 years previously just to get good drawings of this lady. Once this layout is out of the way I'll be back on track so to speak. If anyone is around on Saturday Kettering MR show is on, details above. 00, 0 and N, normally a test track in various gauge, with small trade appearance at what i think is an excellent venue for this small show. This is a fantastic school!

Rumor control has it that 4472 will be watering in Kettering about 9.45 prior to it's run to Corby and very nicely, (thanks), the highways agency recently spent £34 million building a new road with a lay by right at the top of the climb from Barford Bridge and it's alleged ghost. Lots of pubs around (Charter, Rothwell etc)

See you at Kettering. Happy to bring extra junk if any one wants a look

T

• 1 month later...

Archived