Class 73 Photos

Another blast from the past. A Class 73 at Dungeness.

Its a shunt to sort out the sidings at Lydd CEGB. The train has arrived with two flasks and there is one flask to go (at least)

post-2484-0-03217900-1419849533_thumb.jpg

The formation is:

BR Brake Van

Barrier ex BR Ferry

Flask Carrier

Barrier OAA

Class 73

Barrier ex BR Ferry

Flask Carrier (older type)

Flask Carrier

Barrier VAA Not sure

BR Brake Van

The shunt move was complicated by the fact that the run round (two nearest tracks) would only hold a flask, two barriers and a brake. You had the puzzle of getting the Loco to the Ashford end ready for departure. Thank goodness for the siding formed by the former New Romney Branch.

The sidings were revised to the present layout to give the longer run round as seen at the terminal today.

Edited by The Bigbee Line
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Back on 1st April 2006, 73107 and 73136 top and tailed the Blueberry Fool railtour. This ran from Cannon Street, through to Hastings, Newhaven, Brighton, Littlehampton, Bognor and back to London Bridge via the Arun valley.

post-6831-0-86277300-1419857002.jpg

73107 heading into Cannon Street station

post-6831-0-73698100-1419857038.jpg

73107 at Newhaven Marine

post-6831-0-78374900-1419857064.jpg

73136 at Hastings

• Like 8

A few from 1984 - Including one when the Gatwick Sets had to be double headed for a while due to a fault (in the cab ??) maybe someone knows more.

Cheers, Bob.

In 1984/85, it was common practise to double head the Gatwick Express working on diesel power. There had been a high number of "flashovers", particularly on the steep climb out of Victoria resulting in fires. Took a while to sort out.

In 1984/85, it was common practise to double head the Gatwick Express working on diesel power. There had been a high number of "flashovers", particularly on the steep climb out of Victoria resulting in fires. Took a while to sort out.

The "flash" problem was drawing an arc when the trailing ED entered a gap. In normal loco leading mode, the driver would run the controller back and not keep drawing amps. With the GLV leading the driver was unaware of the gapping situation at the rear. The solution was to alter the way the ED took power. Also to fit fibreglass shields to stop the arc jumping to the bogie frame.

On diesel, double heading would be necessary to keep time.

• RMweb Premium

I had no idea what type of plane it is, so thanks for the info !!

That's quite an 'arty' shot for me, looking through my pics, I haven't really got many with things other than the main subject in them.

These pics of 73117 at Barrow Hill are much more typical for me !

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-60930300-1419874108_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-23240400-1419874118_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-46603600-1419874131_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-57931800-1419874144_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-85704700-1419874158_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-53333600-1419874169_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

its not until i've looked at the pictures in this thread that its dawned on me that 73s dont have any 'proper' lights, only the headcode panel and on later ones the added high intensity type!

Yup - following the SRs standard (60s generation) EMU fleet in this regard

Edited by phil-b259

its not until i've looked at the pictures in this thread that its dawned on me that 73s dont have any 'proper' lights, only the headcode panel and on later ones the added high intensity type!

Causes a fair bit of confusion these days when they go 'off region' with no tail lamp displayed, just the red blinds.

Edited by 40044

From what I can remember, there were just two household 40W or 60W bayonet fit filament bulbs in the headcode box to light the blinds. Doesn't seem much, does it? This was circa 1980/1990, so I don't know if the lighting's been upgraded since. There were always supposed to be a couple of spare bulbs at the bottom of the headcode box but they usually "disappeared". Well, it was cheaper than popping to Woolworths when a bulb blew at home...

Another blast from the past. A Class 73 at Dungeness.

Its a shunt to sort out the sidings at Lydd CEGB. The train has arrived with two flasks and there is one flask to go (at least)

attachicon.gif73 shunt lydd cegb.jpg

The formation is:

BR Brake Van

Barrier ex BR Ferry

Flask Carrier

Barrier OAA

Class 73

Barrier ex BR Ferry

Flask Carrier (older type)

Flask Carrier

Barrier VAA Not sure

BR Brake Van

The shunt move was complicated by the fact that the run round (two nearest tracks) would only hold a flask, two barriers and a brake. You had the puzzle of getting the Loco to the Ashford end ready for departure. Thank goodness for the siding formed by the former New Romney Branch.

The sidings were revised to the present layout to give the longer run round as seen at the terminal today.

BLIMEY !!!

That's gotta be the 'Mother Of All Shunts' hasn't it ?

I worked these trains as a guard in the 90's but NEVER had a puzzle as complicated as that !

Much respect to the crews sorting that lot out......what a brilliant pic but why all the extra vans etc ?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

It was probably a train from the previous week. i.e. the wagons this side of the loco were last weeks train. Probably loaded before the trains arrival. So the aim of the shunt is to get the one of the in bound flasks under the crane and off loaded, then place the second one.

The loco could then couple to the train and leave.

Edited by The Bigbee Line

The train used to run ThO and in the days (before mobile phone apps, realtime trains and mates still back in the office connected to TRUST), when I lived at Ashford and would get the chance to photo the return service, I'd visit the first level xing on the Dungeness branch on the previous evening and tie a long piece of grass or reed around the rail such that the "Down" train in the early Thursday AM would cut it - giving me indication the train had run without having to go right down to the terminal & check. Bit hit and miss but it worked most times....................

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A couple more from open days at BR(S) depots in 1988.

73201 'Broadlands' at Bournemouth T&RSMD Open Day on 26th March 1988.

73004 The Bluebell Railway at the Stewarts Lane Open Day on 10th April 1988.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A rather full stabling point at Eastleigh, back in about 1993.

post-6831-0-72314800-1420057448.jpg

A look through my records can only identify the furthest left 73 (oddly enough), which is 73138. I really cannot recall the faded dutch example, of the executive liveried loco. Of note is 47376 (one of the few remaining blue RFD locos at the time) on the extreme left.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A few from me

110 Victoria

Ray

In addition to the photo of the 73, it's also great to see how the interior of Victoria station used to look. Much more character IMHO.