Thames Board Livery On OTA Timber Wagons

JohnH

I'm after some clarification as to the livery applied to several OTA timber wagons in the 1980's. 

I'm referring to the (exclusively??)ex OCA conversions that carried 'Thames Board' livery on round wood traffic from Scotland to Workington and various other locations on Speedlink services. My own photos of the 'Thames Board' livery adorning these OTA's is a dark-ish blue. Various books in my possession also show photos of these ex OCA  OTA's in blue , but some are pictured finished in a pale green colour that is also described as 'Thames Board' livery, or 'faded Thames Board' livery. A mate of mine maintains that this green livery was connected with the Forestry Commission (or whatever they were called back then).

Did the 'Thames Board' livery change from blue to green, or was it simply the blue fading over time to this pale green colour? 

Thanks for any help.

PS: I realise many ex VDA OTA's were finished in blue for 'Kronospan' traffic to Chirk and the unique ex VDA OTA (with big stantions) was finished in 'Forest Enterprise' green.

The 'Thames Board' OTA's retained the blue livery long after they were released into general timber traffic although of course over time it gradually faded.  However, it didn't fade to green.  The pale green livery was a new colour scheme applied to other OTA's, if memory serves, after the end of Speedlink when for a while only the traffic to Shotton remained on rail.  That green livery was I believe associated in some way with that flow but on several visits to Dee Marsh yard in the early 1990's one could find every type and every livery of OTA known to man heading for Shotton Paper.

Davefreight

Edited by davefreight

• 1 year later...

The 'Thames Board' OTA's retained the blue livery long after they were released into general timber traffic although of course over time it gradually faded.  However, it didn't fade to green.  The pale green livery was a new colour scheme applied to other OTA's, if memory serves, after the end of Speedlink when for a while only the traffic to Shotton remained on rail.  That green livery was I believe associated in some way with that flow but on several visits to Dee Marsh yard in the early 1990's one could find every type and every livery of OTA known to man heading for Shotton Paper.

Davefreight

See the DEMU Update articles for details of liveries. Published 2013-2015 in about 9 articles so far.

a@y

• 3 years later...