Wolverley

ianb3174

Being, as I am, a modeller of varying ability I thought I would add another project to my ever growing list of railways that are currently under construction, or the threat of construction. At the time of writing these are

1. Drakelow. P4. 1150x400mm A Standard Gauge Workbench effort chronicled on the Scalefour website forum. An MOD based shunting layout http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94105-drakelow/

2. Enville. P4. 1150x200mm An offshoot test scenic test track based on the fictitious Enville Light Railway.

3. Mountcarrick. 5.5mm scale  1200x 210mm Using 16.5mm to represent Irish 3ft narrow gauge

4. An untitled 16mm garden railway. Currently awaiting some track to run on, the trackbed is in place.

5. The Towans. 55n9. 1150x200mm. 5.5mm scale using 9mm track for 18" gauge and 25mm standard gauge.

All of these projects have been started, and mothballed, and restarted at various points over the last few years. The most successful of which hasn't been a scenic layout but a OO gauge test track around my cellar/office/workroom on a shelf. 

Originally just to give me something to run trains around and store chassis and locos on. I laid it with Code 100 Peco and turnouts I had lying about. It is wired standard DC with Insulfrog points. 

Above my workbench is a wider area which I thought could be adapted into a small station/scenic area. I had a few unused turnouts and some track which made up some storage sidings on the shelf. 

A few scribbles later and I'd made an arbitrary plan. 

The first picture shows the original sidings

The second a rough placement of track in position.

The track base is 5mm foam board which is easy to cut to size, can be glued, or taped into place and is relatively strong. 

The purpose of this project is to improve my general modelling skills. I rarely get to the scenic stage of a layout so this is bit of learning. The photographs were taken in one day so progress was quite rapid. 

Turnout operation will be by manual lever and I intend to standardise on RC/battery power for all my locos using Deltang products. 

Feel free to offer your opinion on what I do. I don't claim to be an expert by any means. My P4 dabblings are slightly more accomplished but I've seen numerous layouts on here that have given me impetus. 

post-13800-0-99686600-1419458126_thumb.jpg

post-13800-0-32254600-1419458143_thumb.jpg

A more up to date photo of the proposed track layout. 

The running line is far left with a run round loop. The siding on the right will be a coal merchants whilst top right the two sidings will lead to a goods shed and cattle dock. There is a small bay platform siding top left. The track will disappear under a bridge and continue around the shelf under the O gauge line, on the shelf on the far wall.

The track bottom left leads to the lift out section via another scenic break.

post-13800-0-31250700-1419458904_thumb.jpg

Boxing Day advances include getting all the track pinned down. I've also been sizing up the scenic break at the radiator end. This will be a simple girder road bridge but on more of a skew than my mockup.

Because this layout is built onto an existing shelf it is a good stretch to reach the platform side of the layout. I'm going to start on the scenics at the back first then work forward. Yes those sidings are very close to the edge. Yes it's a shear drop, a scale 160ft onto my workbench. Guess I'll have to shunt carefully.

post-13800-0-54308700-1419617997_thumb.jpg

post-13800-0-37035200-1419618064_thumb.jpg

A bit more work has been done today. 

1. The track plan, which I intended to post early, which was redrawn due to it being a bit inaccurate.

2. This shot is towards the lift out bridge. The continuation of the cellar circuit can be seen on the far wall. I've added the station platform and the backscene. This is made from 8mm thick plastic board used for For Sale signs amongst other things. I was given half a dozen 6'x2' sheets for free. It is very strong for its weight due to its cross section structure which can be seen at the end of the platform. It cuts easily with a model knife, especially in a straight line...........which is why I've used it to cut curves and odd shapes. Nothing like a challenge.

3. The shelf corner (working hard to have more meaningful names) which shows the back scene curving around and hiding the void under the shelf.

Once again the basket case Ratio MR coach does sterling service as a test vehicle. The wagon in the goods siding is made from plasticard with some etched brass W irons. It was built as a rigid 23'6" chassis (CCT) which is likely to be the longest 4w arrangement for UK prototypes at least. It can also function as a P4 test wagon by changing the wheelsets. Again this is used for checking clearances. The overall shape of the goods yard can be seen as well as how the road frames this part of the layout. The formers, and a bit of dense foam are in place for the modroc covering. The signal box will sit adjacent to the turnout.

4. The end of the platforms at the other end. I repurposed the bridge mockup to show where that scenic break will be, and found an old superquick coal office too.

5. A view of the bay platform awaiting its facings and ballast and buffer stop. The MR coach has sneaked in again, yes the roof is loose, you're not seeing things.

My question to readers of this thread: 

What does one use for platform facing and surface. Clearly mine have been left a few mm low to allow a scenic covering and I would like a simple vertical face brick finish in the goods yard but a stepped back face on the passenger platform. What is the best platform facing on the market? Or is there a thread showing how to make your own?

post-13800-0-39514300-1419710545_thumb.jpg

post-13800-0-93812700-1419710574_thumb.jpg

post-13800-0-28587600-1419710630_thumb.jpg

post-13800-0-78766500-1419710656_thumb.jpg

post-13800-0-66235300-1419710729_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived