Wizard/Comet

lofty1966

Yes you can but it's much more of a faf than buying from the old Comet website. Perhaps we should have a thread for the most badly designed website in railway modelling.

Some reasons why you think it is badly designed would help, rather than such a broad statement. BTW, you never could order directly from the old Comet site...

As mentioned later in the thread, all the Wizard owned websites are slowly being amalgamated into one, but it is a long job. Photos to take, frets to scan, instructions to write/reformat etc. The webmaster has been informed about the Google problem.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you. All-seeing Google has a problem with it:

www.wizardmodels.ltd/product-category/carrk/page/6...

No information is available for this page.

That's what you get when you put Wizard Models in the search box.

And then:

Oops! That page can’t be found.

But at the top it has the Wizard Models header which, if you click on it, takes you to the Home page. Very odd.

David

Google is pointing you to a broken page, there are many. Here is a link to their homepage

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wizardmodels/

• RMweb Premium

I've never had a problem ordering from Andrew, either from his old or new Wizard sites and ready don't see what the problem is (and as far as I can remember the old Comet page wasn't a webshop anyway):

http://www.wizardmodels.ltd

apart from not remembering the web address that is :O

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Google is pointing you to a broken page, there are many. Here is a link to their homepage

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/wizardmodels/

I picked up the correct URL from #49 above but I am concerned that others may enter 'Wizard Models' into Google and get the same result that I did. Not going to help Andrew's business if a search engine has trouble locating the correct address.

David

It appears, given this subject, that with impeccable bad timing the Wizard site has gone down. I've ordered a fair amount from Wizard over the last 12-18m and this is the first time I've seen their site go down. I'd echo other comments above that Wizard usually deliver extremely promptly. They are also regular attenders at the larger shows if internet ordering isn't your thing

David

• RMweb Gold

I thought the Comet was a named LMR express and had assumed the name was chosen for that reason? From what I’ve seen of his stuff here, wasn’t that he late Geoff Brewin’s area of interest?

Comet Models was first set up because some people in Birmingham wanted LMS / BR locos to be able to haul long trains up gradients, so wanted whitemetal bodies. Geoff Brewin was an optician living in and around Stourbridge and moved to Leicester. His hobby was building locos and so made a name for himself as a 'professional' loco builder. In the words of Victor Kiam, he liked Comet Models loco kits so much that he bought one of the original trio's share. Having retired from opticianing, he retired to Ross-on-Wye he bought the whole business when the remaining 2 others retired. Since joining Comet many years ago, Geoff went to night school to learn how to use CAD packages, and having learnt developed all manner of chassis to go under RTR bodies, new gearboxes and all sorts of things.

Comet Models was first set up because some people in Birmingham wanted LMS / BR locos to be able to haul long trains up gradients, so wanted whitemetal bodies. Geoff Brewin was an optician living in and around Stourbridge and moved to Leicester. His hobby was building locos and so made a name for himself as a 'professional' loco builder. In the words of Victor Kiam, he liked Comet Models loco kits so much that he bought one of the original trio's share. Having retired from opticianing, he retired to Ross-on-Wye he bought the whole business when the remaining 2 others retired. Since joining Comet many years ago, Geoff went to night school to learn how to use CAD packages, and having learnt developed all manner of chassis to go under RTR bodies, new gearboxes and all sorts of things.

Thanks - much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Site now back up again - I don't know what the problem was, although the whole internet seemed a bit slow last night.

It was probably the whole world trying to order the MGB1 gearbox and coreless motor.

• RMweb Premium

Comet Coaches became Comet Coaches because Phoenix Coaches was not really a Phoenix. Think about it and if it still baffles you  then PM me! These names are also two Rebuilt Patriots IIRC Jubs (thanks Focal) so a little bit of cunning there too.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The format of the Wizard Models website seems to have changed in the last few days, it is currently difficult to find/use the search boxes to look for specific ranges/ models etc. Amongst other things.

don't think it’s my computer,  tried Apple Mac and tablets and windows computers, same on all of them.

is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

We are aware of the problem and the Webmaster and host are working on it. You can still place and pay for orders, but it is more difficult to navigate around the site.

There may also be some disruption to mail order later this week due to the installation of new windows - the uPVC kind, not the Microsoft kind!

Andrew

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Major Clanger said:

There may also be some disruption to mail order later this week due to the installation of new windows - the uPVC kind, not the Microsoft kind!

Andrew

Don't forget to open and close them regularly so they work properly...:D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2019 at 17:58, Major Clanger said:

The website is all fixed now... The windows aren't...

Andrew

Andrew,

Still think there is a problem with the web-site, if you use the ‘filter by manufacturer’ or ‘filter by railway company’ boxes down the left side of the Home page, it just takes you to a blank page. Happens on I-pad and windows PC and it certainly worked OK until a few weeks back.

so now to search for specific coach sides you have the hit the Coaches icon on the front page and scroll through 72 pages until you find the item you require. 

Looks like the problems at Wizard Models got a lot worse yesterday unfortunately.  Hoping it'll be back soon!  I've one order pending and I am looking to place another.  A classic case of you don't know what you've got (till it's gone)....

Edited by Bob Reid